Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Survivors who had chemo etc and are into Complementary medicine

Options

Comments

• LtotheK
    LtotheK Member Posts: 487
    edited June 2011
    Options

Good points, Claire.

Here is information on low-fat vs. whole dairy.  Interesting stuff:  http://www.abc.net.au/pm/content/2010/s2973507.htm

• Texas357
    Texas357 Member Posts: 332
    edited June 2011
    Options

Just reading this thread helps keep me motivated. The problem is that my husband prefers to go out to eat at least 4-5 times a week. It's not fast food but we don't have healthy restaurants available to us either. So I try to stick with small amounts of fish and larger amounts of veggies.

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited June 2011
    Options

It would be so hard for me to give up soy sauce. I love all Asian food. Japanese (sushi), Korean, Chinese, Thai, Vietnamese. In grad school they would tease me and say I would chop up my hot dog so I could eat it with soy sauce. I do even cook this stuff.

But I don't eat it every day or even every week. Moderation is key unless of course it's cigarettes or crack. Tongue out

• ktym
    ktym Member Posts: 673
    edited June 2011
    Options

lago, I've decided to let soy sauce and hot peanut sauce be a vice.  I concentrate on only using a little and keeping salt out of most everything else, but, I eat a TON more veggies when I can throw a dash of soy or sauce on, so, I think that is going to have to be a compromise

• lago
    edited June 2011
    Options

kmmd try sauteing spinach in garlic and olive oil. Broccoli tastes awesome with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Grilled asparagus taste great with a honey, mustard and a little olive oil. Finally baby bok choy stir fried with a little peanut oil, chicken broth, chopped garlic, a touch of soy sauce and a small amount of sesame oil.

If you want my hot peanut sauce recipe (I think I have 2) pm me your email address.

• pip57
    pip57 Member Posts: 7,080
    edited June 2011
    Options

Try using balsamic vinegar on your veggies instead of soy sauce. 

• ktym
    edited June 2011
    Options

Lago, will do, you're making my mouth water.

http://www.slate.com/id/2297795/ 

I found the above article on chemicals and later potential breast cancer risks quite depressing

• ktym
    edited June 2011
    Options

I will try that.  I'd started using a brand I like on salad, never thought of using it as a substitute for soy sauce

• cp418
    cp418 Member Posts: 359
    edited June 2011
    Options

kmmd - I remember the DDT trucks spraying our neighborhood and us kids running around the yard as the clouds blew past us....... 

• lago
    edited June 2011
    Options

I just read that artice yesterday and thought about the trucks spraying for mosquitos when we were kids. I found it scary then (scary smell). I wish I could blame it on that but my mom and older sister don't have BC. I still think it's stress and living in the city. Yes I had very dense breasts too:

http://www.empowereddoctor.com/city-women-are-more-likely-to-develop-breast-cancer 

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 1,017
    edited August 2012
    Options
    I can't remember the poster who uses this in her signature, but it really resonated with me - the song by the Eagles, Hotel California: "you can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave."  that's exaclty how I feel about having once had bcFrown
  • MaryNY
    MaryNY Member Posts: 486
    edited June 2011
    Options

I've been over a year on Tamoxifen and have put on a huge amount of weight. I had bloodwork two weeks ago as part of my six-month follow-up with my medical oncologist. My TSH level was high—5.29 mcUnits/ml (normal range 0.55-4.78 mcUnits/ml). My previous TSH levels were 2.40 a year ago and 1.81 eighteen months ago. My T3 and T4 levels were within the normal range.

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced high TSH levels and what they have done for it. Is Tamoxifen a possible cause?

I have an appt scheduled with my PCP next week and she will likely check my thyroid function too. I'm concerned that she will put me on synthroid(?) to regulate my thyroid and I will be on it then for life. 

I probably don't get enough iodine in my diet. I rarely eat fish except the occasional can of tuna. When I do use salt, it's sea salt, but I use it sparingly. Anyone know where I can find dulse (in the US)? I know I can get it online, but would have to pay shipping. 

• lago
    edited June 2011
    Options

OK what is this TSH and T3/T4 levels? Are these tumor markers? My onc doesn't do these.

• Sherbear
    Sherbear Member Posts: 68
    edited June 2011
    Options

I think it has to do with thyroid function Lago.

• MaryNY
    edited June 2011
    Options

No lago, they are to do with thyroid function. My onc didn't do this test every time. I notice that it hasn't always been included by my PCP as part of my annual bloodwork either, though that might be an oversight on her part.

TSH is thyroid stimuling hormone. It's made by the pituitary and high levels might indicate that the thyroid is underperforming (hypothyroidism). 

• lago
    edited June 2011
    Options

Thanks. I once had high/normal thyroid on summer when I was 20. It was fun. I had 2 boyfriends, 1 job, was taking 1 class and weighed 113lbs (I'm 5'6"). My brother kept calling me bug eyes that summer. I have big eyes to begin with so no one really thought I was having a problem till that fall when I got tested. It went back down to normal on its own and I haven't had a problem since.

• [Deleted User]
    edited August 2012
    Options

Mary

PLEASE NOTE:  those levels you cite are NO LONGER accepted by the American Society of Endocriinologists.  The suggested level of  TSH ( thyroid stimulating hormone) is BELOW 2.5

If you were seeing the endocrinologist I've been seeing since I finished Chemotherapy with a  5.9  you would be prescribed medication to support your thyroid.  And yes, I DID lose weight when I started taking the medication and ENORMOUSLY more energy.

You can Google this information, it's becoming more well known.

• [Deleted User]
    edited August 2012
    Options

Lago

what you are describing is HYPERThyroid - what Mary is describing is HYPOThyroid - exact opposites.

• lago
    edited June 2011
    Options

Yes I know but both are serious issues if not treated.

• MaryNY
    edited June 2011
    Options

Caerus, so you would advise medication rather than trying any natural remedies first? Did your TSH level go up to 5.9 just after chemo? Was it normal before? Were your T3/T4 levels within the normal range?

• mdg
    mdg Member Posts: 1,468
    edited June 2011
    Options

lago:  You are making me hungry.....   I decided to limit Balsamic as it has sugar in it - boo!  I use to eat it a lot on salads but now I use Red Wine vinegar instead because it has no sugar.  I do balsamic sometimes but not as much. 

As far as calcium, my holistic MD said not to take calcium pills, it is more effective to get it from broccoli.  So I don't take any calcium and I eat maybe one serving of dairy a day.  In fact my doc also said to avoid dairy (I am sensitive to dairy) all together if possible. 

I agree with others when they say make your own foods.  We rarely eat out.  If we want pizza, I make it with tons of fresh organic sauted veggies and a little organic cheese.  If we want burgers, I get grass fed beef and make them or do hormone free ground turkey.  If we do really want something quick and eat out, I head for Chipotle.  At least they have hormone free meats and use some organic ingredients.  We hardly even go there - but every now and then we do.  I think the biggest part about staying on track with eating right is planning.  If you plan ahead and have foods on hand that are healthy you will make better choices.  When you walk in the door at 5:30pm tired and starving and have nothing started for dinner - that's when you get in trouble and grab anything. 

• ktym
    edited June 2011
    Options

Add me to the list of thyroid problems after chemo.  I think the chemo burned my poor thyroid right out.  If anyone has any advice on supplements etc they think work I'd be interested in hearing about them.  I know I am obsessive about getting weight bearing activities in being on the synthroid

• kira1234
    kira1234 Member Posts: 754
    edited June 2011
    Options

I'm on snthroid as well. I was on it before chemo, but the dose had to be increased after chemo. I've also wondered if there are some suppliments I should include.

kmmd, You made a comment about weight bearing activities, is there some reason we should worry about our bones with the synthroid meds? I know the Femara can cause bone loss plus of course chemo.

• lago
    edited June 2011
    Options
    Check out the calorie & nutritional calculator for Chipotle. It was an eye opener to some of my friends. If you eat 1/2 a burrito you'll be doing OK but a full portion, I don't think so. I used to order the burrito bowl and it helped. I only went there when my work pals wanted to go there for lunch. Haven't been back since I left that job in 2007: http://www.chipotlecaloriecalculator.com/
  • pip57
    pip57 Member Posts: 7,080
    edited June 2011
    Options

I always check the nutritional charts of the restaurant before we dine out.  It really is an eye opener.  It is always the food you least expect that is the worst for you.

• thenewme
    thenewme Member Posts: 174
    edited June 2011
    Options

I love the positive energy on this thread!  Lago, I'd love to try your hot peanut sauce - share the recipe!  I think it would be great on quinoa with some grilled chicken and vegs. Mmmmm

Ironically, I  got a call today about a clinical trial that I had looked into earlier and didn't qualify for, and the requirements may have changed and I might qualify :-D  It's the UCSD ENERGY Trial, a "research study on physical activity and eating attitudes and behaviors in women who are at risk for breast cancer recurrence."  I'm really excited about the focus on healthy eating, exercising, and behavior aspects, and I immediately thought of this thread!  Is anyone else doing this trial? 

I've never smoked, but I'm still chuckling to myself about breaking up with cigarettes like a greasy boyfriend, LOL!

• 1Athena1
    1Athena1 Member Posts: 672
    edited June 2011
    Options

I am probably the only discussion forum participant on the entire internet who doesn't know the answer to this, but could someone please tell me what ":-D" and ":D" stand for? Thanks!

• Carola32
    Carola32 Member Posts: 44
    edited June 2011
    Options

Athena,

they mean 'very happy' or 'laughing' I guess :-D

• 1Athena1
    1Athena1 Member Posts: 672
    edited June 2011
    Options

Thank you. :D

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548
    edited June 2011
    Options

Wow, Lago, my favorite Burrito Bowl has 680 calories. Well, it is now a special treat.