Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited May 2012

Prayers and hugs for all those who are experiencing challenges....

Congratulations to all those who have crossed over to the Squishie Side!!!!

• theBCavenger
    theBCavenger Member Posts: 172
    edited May 2012

Sundermom - please keep us posted... I will be thinking about you.

Had a horrible day yesterday. Was finally cleared to drive, my car is not very smooth, feels every bump on the road. Anyway, only went a couple places. My day ended with what I think are muscle spasms over the new TE! OMG, totally took my breath away everytime they happened. Thank god I have a few pain meds left, but I am almost out and don't see doc till May 9th.

Has anyone every experienced this before? I am so worried that these spasms will ruin my TE healing.  

• redninrah
    redninrah Member Posts: 366
    edited May 2012

ok so i am going in for an exchange on monday from saline to silicone with allerderm. Anyone else had this

• GreenMonkey
    GreenMonkey Member Posts: 291
    edited May 2012

Hello Everyone,

I just came from my first post op appointment.  I was concerned about pain on my left side, worried it was the beginning of cellulites (pink, and pain). Dr. has me upping my antibiotics, and keeping a close eye on my temp. If any change call her ASAP and she'll put me in the hospital so they can get an IV going.  If they catch it early enough, they can save the TE. My skin is very sensitive so it was hard to tell if the pinkness was due to external irritation.  Also, she did suture the area where there is pain but the pain didn't start until Sunday morning and it is getting worse every day.  Because I know I'm a little bit crazy, this could also all be in my head because I've had Rachaeljoy on my mind and this is what she is dealing with. 

redninrah, all the best to you on your exchange Monday morning! 

DM13, ideally you could see your dr. before the 9th.  Can you call the office and tell them what happened.  Not knowing is the worst! 

• GreenMonkey
    edited May 2012

Not to be a pest, but any news Sundermom?  sending you a nice gentle (((((((((HUG)))))))))

• redninrah
    edited May 2012

Hi- thanks ladies, i just hope i dont get an infection!!!

• GreenMonkey
    edited May 2012

YOU WON'T !!! tell yourself you that everything will go just as it should.  visualize it! affirm it!  I'm in your corner, cheering you on!

• redninrah
    edited May 2012

green monkey- yay ok i wonttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttttt

• momof3infla
    momof3infla Member Posts: 333
    edited May 2012

Sundermom, yes I had some pretty bad muscle spasms just after the TE was placed, and also recently when I overdid it at the gym. I found that taking some ibuprofen and a xanax really made me relax and take it easy.

Went to my Onco appt today, everything looks good, and I had my iron iv infusion (took FIVE hours!), but they said that my iron levels should be fabulous from here on out. They are actually in the normal levels, just in the low levels and they wanted to boost it up. All systems GO for May 16th for exchange, 2 weeks from tomorrow. I cannot believe it's going to happen, just can't believe it. I cried when the onco nurse gave me a hug today congratulating me.

• GreenMonkey
    edited May 2012

ohhhhhh now I'm tearing up.  That is GREAT news momoof3infla!!!   so happy for you!!!!!

• dunesleeper
    dunesleeper Member Posts: 1,305
    edited May 2012

DM13, I did not experience what you describe, and I agree wtih GreenMonkey about calling the doc. Maybe you could use a muscle relaxant, at least at night. I know they would interfere with driving. I would definitely take it easy. Have you been doing your stretches? Do them gently. They did and do help me.

That IS great news momof3infla! Big hug going out to you. I wish I could hug you for real - - to feel the difference between the TEs and the real things. Wow! I'll just have to wait to find out when I get my exchange. No date on that. My next fill is May 24th.

• sundermom
    sundermom Member Posts: 98
    edited May 2012

The lump I felt yesterday is gone !!! I know it was there last night and now it's not. The swelling has gone down a ton today and the implant seems to be settling in nicely. Thank you for all of the kind, encouraging words.

• dunesleeper
    edited May 2012

That is wonderful sundermom!!!! Thanks for letting us know.

• ginger48
    ginger48 Member Posts: 1,437
    edited May 2012

DM- I had terrible muscle spasms with my TE; that is what originally brought me to this thread. My dr had me take valium at night to help but it really was a horrible time to get through it.I had to cut back on work hours, was not sleeping at all and I was miserable!  As soon as I swithched out to implants; the spasms went away.

I would check with your doctor for sure!

• theBCavenger
    edited May 2012

Thank you all for sharing your muscle spasms, I am so glad to know that I am not the only one. Not that I want any of you to have pain... but you know what I mean. The last time I saw my PS, he actually made me feel like a bit of a baby, saying that I have been experiencing much more pain than most people when they get a TE replaced. I guess I am not supposed to do much and feel very little pain.

I will try to talk with PS tomorrow, but my insurance changed and seeing new doc May 9th.

Sundermom - so glad lump has disappeared! 

• GreenMonkey
    edited May 2012

Sundermom so glad lump is gone (oh, that rhymes!)

• chickadee521
    chickadee521 Member Posts: 423
    edited May 2012

red-I had allodrem put in at exchange and at fat grafting.  I think it is common.

• momof3infla
    edited May 2012

Whoops, I think I was responding to DM about the muscle spasms.

Glad the lump is gone, Sundermom!

• jlmg
    jlmg Member Posts: 27
    edited May 2012

Hello All,

This forum has given me strength and encouragement. What a testament to courage!  Whenever I have a lapse in fortitude, I remember what my Nono said, "It only happens to the living."  I've had 7 surgeries in 11 months, and I hope I am nearing the end of this! 

Dunesleeper, I have discomforts from the TE, but it's hard to locate the cause.  I know the lat muscle is pushing on the TE, and I have a frozen shoulder.  So, I don't know if the shoulder is radiating pain, or if the expander is barking at me.  I am on my third week of twice daily IV antibiotics and I have still have drainage.  We are trying to save the TE.  I've already lost 2 implants to infection, so I'm cautious about celebrating too early.  My PS wanted to start the fillls yesterday, but I told him I wasn't comfortable with that.  He wasn't happy, but so what.  Has anyone switched PS's in midstream?   I had an infection before I lost the first implant, but he didn't culture it.  Then I had MRSA before I lost the second implant, but I didn't know. I found out after the fact.   He treated it with oral antibiotics and I had 3 clear readings. Then this TE got infected with the Lat flap and I am being treated by an ID doc.  This PS has great technique.  My right  implant never had trouble and it has matured to  match my age and stage.  He just doesn't seem to have a handle on infections.  I don't know whether to switch or not.  It's always something!

• theBCavenger
    edited May 2012

momo - I knew you meant me... lol. Spasms are a little better today.

jlmg - I am about to get a second opinion from another PS, because me insurance changed. I think it is so hard for  a lot of us to step outside our box and get another opinion. We seem to carry heavy guilt! At least I know I do. I hope you are able to save this TE. Please keep us all posted. 

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited May 2012

Momof3infla: Go girl! So happy you are moving forward! You and I had our TE replacements one day apart, so you give me hope that I will get there one of these day! ;-)

DM13: is the pain getting better? Have you called your PS?

jlmg: 7 surgeries in 11 months, that is a lot to process! You are on your 3rd TE? Time is the best path when you are in this club. You have to give your body time to heal and to make sure there is no more infection. Your PS probably wants to give you a fill to try and decrease your fluid output, since your body is trying to fill the empty space with fluid and if he gives you a fill, there will be less space for fluid to accumulate, and hopefully less fluid output, and then your drain can come out (I assume you still have a drain?) What does your infectious disease doc say?

Racheljoy: So sorry you lost your TE to cellulitis. For anyone wanting to catch up on Rachel's story, she wrote a long update on her blog yesterday. We are pulling for you over here in TE Troubleland and understand! xxoo

Sundermom: Whoot on no lump! Fantastic!!!

Hi to everyone else! ;-)

• dunesleeper
    edited May 2012

Thanks jlmg. I think my workout at the gym aggravated my TE, so I am not lifting weights again until after I talk to the physical therapist. Hopefully, he/she will have some insight. I go there on May 9. I don't see the PS until May 24.

• jlmg
    jlmg Member Posts: 27
    edited May 2012

Rennaus, thank you for an explanation on why the PS would want to do a fill.  The ID doc wanted the infection to clear up before the fills.  I did have one clear culture, but he didn't have that info when he renewed the Rx for Zivox.  I see the IV doc on  Monday.  I don't have drains anymore from the March 16th flap surgery.  The drainage is coming from a pinhole in the incision on the flap.  I'm still torn about switching to another PS.  I'm angry he didn't tell me I had MRSA the first time last November, he gave me oral antibiotics.  My family is pushing me to swithch, and I'm on the fence. He does have a good technique though.  I have no muscle spasms, saggy skin, or other complications I've read about, other than this pinhole draining.  Lucy (my left side) is misbehaving and Ethel (my right implant) is doing fine.

dunesleeper - Good luck with your workouts.   It's hard to hold back. Can you still work your legs?   I just started getting back to Pilates and Yoga.  My frozen shoulder is more of a problem, but I'm working that too.  It helps to focus on somethiing!

DM13-Good luck with the new PS.  I still don't know if I'll switch.  I'm just hung up about making another decision.

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited May 2012
    jlmg: At the very least, get a second opinion. Have all your medical records with you so new PS has a complete understanding of your issues. After you meet with him/her, see how you feel. Sometimes hearing from someone else that the process you went through would have been the same weith a different PS, it clarifies for you that you are with the right PS. But, you also may hear something that will make you realize you want to switch PS's. And sometimes you may need to get a 3rd (or even 4th) opinion. Lots of ladies here have had to do that. It's OK. We feel guilty, like we're cheating on our PS's or something — but this is *your* body and you deserve the best you can find. Hope that helps a little! Though I know it means more work for you and sometimes that's the last thing we feel like doing. Listen to your gut. If it is telling you to seek out another opinion, listen to it! ;-)
  • Erika8
    Erika8 Member Posts: 56
    edited May 2012

i was happy had all my fills done up to 550cc my exchange is on July 

but now my expander is lieking and i am back to o

does any one had the same problem  

• chickadee521
    chickadee521 Member Posts: 423
    edited May 2012

Hi Erika.  Some of us on this thread did leak.  I sprang a leak after my last fill.  I had to wait until I was done with chemo and then swapped out the bad TE and started all over again.  Basically a 3 month set back.  So sorry it happened to you!

• Erika8
    Erika8 Member Posts: 56
    edited May 2012

thank you for the information chickadee

have a great day 

• redninrah
    edited May 2012

My incision opened up, and I got leaking of fluid from around the implant.anyways, on Monday they are removing the implant and putting a new one in with allerderm

• momof3infla
    edited May 2012

Just had pre op with PS. We are all set for the 16th. She is going with Natrelle high profile silicone gel implants. Not sure the exact size, but she's shooting for a small to mid size C. At this point I really don't care - just want this process completed. YAY!

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited May 2012

Good luck Monday, redninrah!

Congrats, momof3!!

Got my scan results: bone scan & CT scan were both "normal". Woot!