Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited May 2012

DLL66: YAY!!!!! 

Redninrah: Ditto, good luck Monday!

Momof3: So excited for your upcoming "exchange to squishies"! There is light at the end of this trouble tunnel!

• redninrah
    redninrah Member Posts: 366
    edited May 2012

thank u ladies...........

if any of you are members of the picture forum, my pics are up there of what happened to my implant. 

• jlmg
    jlmg Member Posts: 27
    edited May 2012

I'm glad to report my infection is clearing up and the leaky incision is closing up.  It hasn't leaked for about 15 hours.  My blood work looked good today, so we'll see what the ID doc says on Monday.  I may go ahead with a fill on Monday, too.  If I go back to work next week, I need somehting to prop up this lat flap.  I teach in a high school, and those kids notice everything!

• lisamarie68
    lisamarie68 Member Posts: 971
    edited May 2012

I am sorry to come here and bother everyone , I am 12 days post op double mastectomy with TE's and I hate it , I am so tight and my sides around my back area hurt like hell . i am nausuas almost everyday . my left side looks bigger than the right side , my left side can also move better than right side . I am misrable and debating on having the TE's just taken out and do nothing further . I am sick of being sick and not moving as I should ... I just want to feel like me again ... no nausea , no constipation , I want to eat and I want to move .. I cry all the time . I am also alone so everything seems hard . nest PS appt is May 15th and he says I will get a fill I am scared to death , I just hate the way I feel ,,

• momof3infla
    momof3infla Member Posts: 333
    edited May 2012

Hang in there, Lisamarie.  The TE's are definitely painful and uncomfortable, but give your body a chance to heal. At least the TE's are in. Some of us have problems even getting them to stay in without problems. We are all learning patience. You're in the right place, and not alone here:)  Drink lots of fluids, eat apples and fiber, your body will come around but it's got to have time. When my last right TE was replaced, it seemed like it was on a nerve, very painful. But when the fills started, the pain instantly went away and it lifted off that nerve. Chin up:)

• lisamarie68
    edited May 2012

omg thanks so much for being here . My incisions look black to me . but maybe  im nuts cause my mom is a nurse and she just left me and went back to Vegas and before she left she said noting to worry about and my PS said it looked okay when he removed drains on tuesday . and my post op with BS was same she said it all looked great . maybe im just inpatient , but its so hard and I am glad i have u all here to help me through this . today I havent gotten out of bed .. much I did a few dishes , and cleaned a little .. cant eat and that is getting to me cause I am hungry . I am trying to drink lots , apple juice and gingerale and water .. I just wanna feel well . I know its a big surgery . ine was 8 1/2 hours from strt to finish . HUgs and thanks 

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited May 2012

It gets better, lisamarie! Hang in there.

• GreenMonkey
    GreenMonkey Member Posts: 291
    edited May 2012

DLL66 that is GRRRRRREAT NEWS!!!

• GreenMonkey
    edited May 2012

lisamarie, I get it, honest I do (and I have pictures to prove it). the alone part it extra tough. so glad you posted here.  you're not alone when you're here.  this forum has brought me so much comfort. 

• ginger48
    ginger48 Member Posts: 1,437
    edited May 2012

Lisamarie- it is a big surgery and 12 days is still early in your recovery. It will get better. Just rest and do not try to do too much. Eating some toast or applesauce might make you feel a little better. Pain meds are hard on the body without food. Drink lots of water and take it easy. Sending you hugs!

• MondaysChild
    MondaysChild Member Posts: 161
    edited May 2012

Yoohoo, DLL!!! That is great news.

• dunesleeper
    dunesleeper Member Posts: 1,305
    edited May 2012
    WTG DLL!!!! Huge Woot Woot!!!!  Laughing
  • jlmg
    jlmg Member Posts: 27
    edited May 2012

lisamarie,  my heart goes out to you!  You're not alone!  This fourm is a great source of encouragement and support.  Are you on any medication, AI's, tamoxifen, etc.  Oncologists usually have a patient navigator, and they can offer help.  The hospital may also have suggestions for support, and the local cancer centrer can do the same.  Your drains are out, and drains are known for hanging around for a long time, but yours are out, so you're making progress!  Warm prune juice can loosen things upSmile

• 1Curlyfry
    1Curlyfry Member Posts: 45
    edited May 2012

Lisamarie, sorry you are feeling so bad. It does get better. You really need to eat. I had trouble with food after my TE failure. I just felt so angry and sad. Then I told myself to suck it up and smile no matter what. I had to set a better example for my daughter who may experience the same thing some day. It worked! Once I decided to change my attitude about the situation I started to feel better both physically and emotionally. I'm starting over with reconstruction on the 15th and I can't wait! No matter how miserable the first few weeks are, it is the first step in getting beyon BC and that is what we are all focused on.

Happy Sunday to everyone!

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited May 2012

Curlyfry, I also subscribe to the "suck it up" philosophy. The worst is behind me. Suck it up & move on. (Admittedly, that has been much easier with 2 implants in instead of just 1.) Will be thinking good thoughts for you on the 15th!

Thanks all for the congrats & shout-outs!  

• GreenMonkey
    edited May 2012

I had gotten to a point where I was dealing with everything well, the diagnosis, the BMX, and even with having a terrible PS (gave me something to focus my anger on), but then I hit another low, after my revisions. It was my decision to have the revisions before the exchange (with new PS) but I underestimated how painful it would be.  Because dicdoc, expanded below my fold and there was such a imbalance, my new PS sutured my muscle below the fold and on the sides. The pain meds didn't seem to help, so I came off them after 4 days and just tried to deal with it. I kept telling myself it was temporary, and now, at day 12, I'm starting to feel good. I'm laughing and I'm starting to think my new and improved minimounds are cute!

Lisamarie, if you don't mind me asking... 8 1/2 hours from start to finish?  start meaning what and finish meaning what? from the time you walked into the hospital to the time you woke up in recovery? 

• lisamarie68
    edited May 2012

Green Monkey , no my sugery time , my mom said from time they took me in for suregery till it was complete that is mastectomy and TE"S .. total 8 1/2 hours and spent 2 days in hospital...

• GreenMonkey
    edited May 2012

that is a very LONG time! My first sugery BMX with TE's was 4 hours. My revision (both TE's out and new ones put in CORRECTLY this time) also took about 4 hours. 

• lisamarie68
    edited May 2012

wow .. yes the breast surgeon had me for 4 hours at that point they told my mom to go get lunch that the PS would be just as long .. ande is  he was , he is such a loving man .. I am glad I have a great PS , I dont go for a fill until may 15th ,, but like i said what a baby am I ... I feel so much like taking these darned tight gross things out .. my right side .. is smaller and funny looking , my left side is fuller and high and kinda funny looking .. Oh jeeze ..

• Lifeafter
    Lifeafter Member Posts: 298
    edited May 2012

lisamarie - I completely understand how you feel.  All of us have been there.  You are doing excellent though in terms of not having your drains in.  Mine were still in at 2 weeks post mastectomy.  I had the last one removed at three weeks post op.  The pain is awful.  And the black hole that it can put you in can seem undaunting but it really does get better.  Hang in there.  You will get through this!  Once I had passed the three week mark, I could finally see the clouds start to part.  At four weeks, I was moving around...slowly but I was moving and feel 100xs better.  I am sending you big big big yet gentle (((hugs))).  Your chest sounds like it looks pretty much what mine look like.  My left side is fuller looking (also had a seroma which filled it out) and my right side looks like a flat hamburger bun.  A very flat hamburger bun.  My left side looks like it's going to fall into my armpit and the right is smack in the center practically.  It's all part of the process.  You get used to it.  I don't wear prosthetics.  I tried once but they were so uncomfortable and I wasn't fooling anybody.  My surgery was about as long as yours.  I went in at noon and was out by 9p. I look back and don't know how I got through it except that I had too.  I had to 'suck it up' and do it.  Just know we all 'suck it up' at our own pace.  For some it's longer and others not.  You are not alone. :-)

Michelle

• theBCavenger
    theBCavenger Member Posts: 172
    edited May 2012

Lisamarie - my surgery was over 6 hours and I stayed in for 3 days. I thought I was going to die! That feeling gotten better as time went on, but honestly, it took so long for me to feel normal when breathing. I can't begin to tell you how many times I have thought about having these damned things removed. I really know how you feel. I can tell you that it does get easier. Despite the problems I have had, I am glad that I opted for the recon (I went boob less on one side for 3 months) I am looking forward to the day when I can do normal things. I am confident that I will get there as I have watched a number of gals achieve that on this thread. Knowing this doesn't always lift my spirits though. We are all here for you and hope you start to feel better soon :)

Speaking of feeling better... have any of you read or are reading the Fifty Shades trilogy? I am in the middle of book 2 and they are bringing up some good and some bad feelings.... but can't seem to put them down! 

• Lifeafter
    edited May 2012

Jeez, forgot about the breathing DM!  That was tough...and the sneezing, ugh.  Also, Lisa, I think you mentioned something about constipation?  I wasn't able to go to the 'bathroom' for 4 weeks.  Talk about the pain from being bloated.  It finally came.  I had diarrhea like constitency for awhile after that.  Sorry for the detail.  But it's all normal.  It's the anesthesia and pain pills.  Slows everything wayyyyyy down. It took a couple months for me to get normal again.

DM, I'm hearing about this 50 Shades trilogy alot this weekend.  What is it?  I guess SNL did a skit on it.  I haven't watched it yet.

Michelle

• theBCavenger
    edited May 2012

Michelle - It is like 9 1/2 weeks (the book version) on steroids mixed with the Twilight saga! I have to say that it has peeked a few things that haven't been peeked in a long time. That being said, I have a new found sadness from everything I have and am going through. I don't really think I realized that my boobs are gone until I started thinking about some of the scenes in the series.... I hadn't realized how much my chest had defined me as a sexual person... anyway, I will get out of my bummer. One thing is for certain, I cannot put books down and today my job is suffering because of it! lol.

• Lifeafter
    edited May 2012

DM - Omg...lol!  Seriously?!  That's hilarious.

On a not hilarious note, I certainly know that feeling.  I was watching some movie and they were making out and I was like...I'll never know what that feels like ever again.

Michelle

• Dianarose
    Dianarose Member Posts: 1,951
    edited May 2012

I got my first fill today( just on the right side until after rads) and I am so much more upbeat today. It looks like a real boob and the pain I was having on the skin on my arm is just about gone. She said the TE must have been pressing on a nerve. My boobs are going to look better that the original ones did. It is the only good thing from all of this crap. The fill didn't hurt at all, just felt really weird. It is so perky. When I am done I don't think I will ever wear a bra again.

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited May 2012

Dm...I have read the whole trilogy. I was a little bothered by the first one because It was just a little too kinky. I had to read the others so I could get a decent resolution. It definately got me in the mood. Lol. I know it is a little weird, but I still have a lot of feeling in mine. In fact, when we were fooling around, while I dont have sensation in the actual nipple part, there is a smaller but similar sensation in the area around it, especially on one side.

However, with all the chemopause and estrogen sucking, I definately need help down below. I use replens and ky intense

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited May 2012

Which I am sure is tmi, but if it helps others......

• Lifeafter
    edited May 2012

Can I say I have zero problem with dryness 'down there'?  I would say I have the exact opposite problem. I've always been that way. Is that normal?  Or does it take time for dryness to occurr.

Michelle

• theBCavenger
    edited May 2012

OMG! I had no intention to have this conversation go so far.. lol... NOT tmi for me. I find all this riveting. I am so jealous of both Michelle and Fluff as I have always needed help below and have no feeling on top! Gee, I guess if you glue the two of you together, kinda have a whole working system! lol.

Fluff - first book very rough! glad I started on the third book by mistake, so I kinda knew where it was going... I am such a sucker for desperate love books. Years ago I plowed through the Twilight series in 4 days... I have been trying so hard to make these books last a little bit..

• lisamarie68
    edited May 2012

you ladies are too funny .. it makes me smile , I heard about that trilogy as well thsi week i think i may look into reading it ... 

I on the other hand am very single and very alone , I hope one day I may get a kiss again .. let alone sex .. lol

Have a dreamy night all