Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• psalms91
    psalms91 Member Posts: 93
    edited May 2012

Green Monkey your blog is fantastic!!!!!!! :)

• lisamarie68
    lisamarie68 Member Posts: 971
    edited May 2012
    Green Monkey u had ur TE's replaced the day I had my BMX and TE's .. wow I just noticed that . I unfourtunatly am having a sleepless pain filled uncomfrtble night .. been tossing and turning for hours now and it's 12:30am ..Cry
  • psalms91
    psalms91 Member Posts: 93
    edited May 2012

lisamarie68 - yes I had thoughts nights until one survivor as me how was I managing my pain, although I wasn't in pain I should not skip taking my medication, because I would do that and then the pain would come back full force.are you trying to sleep in the bed,I found that I had to sleep straight up with several pillows and a pillow that had that arm thing ( sorry my mind is slow right now).

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited May 2012

Psalms, helllllo and welcome back! Glad to see you! Sending you healing {{{hugs}}}!

lisamarie... you gotta sleep on an incline for a while (ask your PS how long, as it varies); it helps with fluid drainage. Also, muscle relaxants work well for the tightness you are describing. Not that I have had a fill or anything... I am 15 months (yes, MONTHS) post-BMX and have yet to have a fill due to delayed healing in my right incision. Lost the TE, had it put back in on Dec. 1, and FINALLY am healed. But still no fill. We are waiting. Maybe in July. Slow and steady is definitely the name of this TE game!

And yes Green Monkey's blog ROCKS!

Bonseye, check in and let us know how your surgery went!!! 

• Tatina123
    Tatina123 Member Posts: 312
    edited May 2012

Hi everyone,

Back from Italy and battling a nasty case of jet lag. The flights went well and had no troubles with swelling whatsoever. Went through two body scanners at the airport and didn't ring in any metal detectors either.

Have my post op next week for my exchange. Starting to feel the nerves but the jet lag is calming them.

Plan to read the posts while I was gone so I can do some catching up. I hope everyone is well.

T

• GreenMonkey
    GreenMonkey Member Posts: 291
    edited May 2012

Thank you Curlyfry!!! :))))))) so glad it made you laugh. It's taking me a long time to get my sense of humor back. 

• theBCavenger
    theBCavenger Member Posts: 172
    edited May 2012

GM - just read your blog too! Very creative. Thanks for placing book into prospective... lol!

Has anyone heard from Special K?  

• Lifeafter
    Lifeafter Member Posts: 298
    edited May 2012

I saw SpecialK a couple of times last week.  Haven't heard from her since.  I need to message her.

GM - I haven't checked out your blog in awhile.  I need to go catch up!

Michelle

• GreenMonkey
    edited May 2012

ahhhhh thanks for checking out the blog... now, I'm going to look for special K

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited May 2012

Hey ladies!  I am back - I was in California (saw mrochon and flashed her!) and then had my son and his GF here for the last week, so I have been running around like a nut!  Sorry if I worried anyone!

• GreenMonkey
    edited May 2012

oh, great to hear from you SpecialK! and you got to see mrochon :) AND flashed her! haaaa :) love that ~

• GreenMonkey
    edited May 2012

I had my first post op fill on tuesday and wednesday night my pain started on the right side where the sutures, along the fold.  its so bad today that i'm in tears. called dr. she's going to take fluid out of the right TE and she prescribed toridol. if i stay on my back i'm ok or if i lift my mound up i'm ok. she said it takes 4 to 6 weeks for the sutures to dissolve. i'm home in bed and its beautiful out. i keep telling myself that its temporary. but, i'm miserable.  

• Lifeafter
    edited May 2012

...I copped a feel too!

GM - Sorry you're in pain. :(  What is toridol?  I go for my third fill on Monday.  I plan on working from home the day after.  It is only temporary but it's hard seeing that when you're in the midst of it.  (((hugs)))

Michelle

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited May 2012

GreenMonkey sounds like you need a muscle relaxant not a pain reliever. JMHO! So sorry you are feeling pain. PS's really need to go S.L.O.W. with us TE troubled gals. Will your PS take out the fluid before the weekend? Please talk to her about getting an Rx that addresses the tightness you are feeling.

Mrochon and SpecialK, how fun you got to meet up again! If any of you girls are ever in SoCal, please let me know!

Tatina, welcome home. Look forward to hearing highlights of your trip! 

Curlyfry, you are up next with surgery. Then Momof3inFla & Tatina have their exchanges! I don't have anyone else listed above as having surgeries after May 29. Anyone else upcoming?

• Lifeafter
    edited May 2012

The other night I could not sleep so I was reading this thread.  I started at the very beginning.  My first post was way back on the 2nd page!  I just remember I was getting worried (more like silently freaked out) about my chest and I came upon this thread.  That seems like ages ago.  Thanks Ren, for starting this thread.  It's the one thread on these boards, for me, that has helped me the most.

Michelle

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited May 2012
    I agree--this thread has been like a lifeline. Knowing that others that have had difficulties made it through exchange has been really helpful. I think I may actually get to keep this implant. Cool Still will need the fill port removed in a month or so if all goes according to plan.
  • lisamarie68
    edited May 2012

Oh Greenmonkey .. im so afraid of that i already feel like that .. someone mentioned torodol to me as well . I had it in hospital , i was so drugged who knows if it helped .. :(feel better 

• 1Curlyfry
    1Curlyfry Member Posts: 45
    edited May 2012

I also need to thank all you ladies. I was lost when my TE failed. I could not talk about it to any one. How do you explain that you failed at breast reconstruction? This is the place that made it ok. I was not the only one! Thank you!

• GreenMonkey
    edited May 2012

it really does help to know you are not alone... 

lisamarie - you're right torodol/ketorolac is what they typically use in an IV post surgery. I can only use it for 5 days, thats how strong it is.  It' a muscle relaxer. All it did was knock me out.  My pain relief.  My other muscle relaxer also didn't work and vicodin doesn't work. I've got an ace bandage wrapped around my fold line - extra tight, and I keep  my hand on my rib cage. it looks like my ribs are sore but I'm actuallly holding up my mound.  otherwise, I'm in so much pain I cry - its unbearable. My PS was not in on friday so I have to wait until monday to get the saline out. I'm not going to do another fill on my right side until 6 weeks post op.   

• lisamarie68
    edited May 2012

aww green monkey , I am terrified of the fill for me on tuesday , and now my ps is gonna be reall pissed as I had some bad financial news and I am about to loose my apt , my car, my cell if i dont get back to work and the pain is not good and my mobility is nill.. so I picked up a cigarette and smoked .. ugh after almost 3 months ... I am so ashamed and mad at myself .. I just feel so alone because physically i am .. i didnt know what to do or where to turn, I hope it gets better for u .. sending gentle hugs 

• theBCavenger
    theBCavenger Member Posts: 172
    edited May 2012

Lisamarie I sent you a PM. You are NOT alone.

• momof3infla
    momof3infla Member Posts: 333
    edited May 2012

Hi ladies,

The dreaded red irritated skin continues. It figures, 4 days out from surgery. I was so concerned that I went in to my PS's office late yesterday afternoon so she could see it. It's just bright red underneath the breast, where we sweat. No pain, no swelling, no fluid around expander, no fever.  She said it looks like either a nervous reaction, or an irritant/allergic reaction to something. Could it be the Hibiclens?  I wonder. So...now I go back to the dermatologist on Monday, then to the PS right afterward so we can come to a conslusion, as Wednesday is surgery.

I feel strongly that it's just time for the expander to come out, and once it is gone, most of the skin problems will resolve.

At the same time, do I want to undergo surgery when the area where the incision will be is irritated?? 

Last time I saw the Derm, her opinion was that the original red area would probably not go away until the expanders were out.

Needless to say, I'm freaking out, the worry is back. I will update after my visits on Monday, because it's possible that surgery will be pushed out. I'm OK if it gets pushed out, I just don't want to lose the expander and have to start over again. PS felt very certain that it was not an infection though, so that's some good news I guess. :(((

• specialk
    edited May 2012

lisamarie - if you need to postpone fills in order to be in less pain and more able to work, you can totally do that.  You are driving the train on when fills happen, and on how much volume you receive.  Do not let your PS dictate the schedule to you.  Due to my TE issues I had my first fill almost a year after the TE's were placed - it is not a problem.  By the time I was receiving fills regularly I could have been at work, I did not have an unusual amount of pain because I had really small fills.  It did take longer, but it was much easier.  On the smoking deal - chalk it up to a momentary setback, you are stressed.  We are here for you, remembr that, and we are all pulling for you.

momof3 - sheesh!  Hope you can proceed, and hopefully once your TEs are out the red spot will go away for good!  Can you maybe proceed, and take a prophylactic antihistamine?

• lisamarie68
    edited May 2012

Special K thanks so much so many have reached out to me .. I appreciate all of this wonderful support . I am going to talk to the ps tuesday when i go , i have a very physical job i take care of a man with a traumatic brain injury that is in a coma . i feel i am not ready to do it , but i feel i must try . i cannot loose my apartment and car and celll.. I just feel scared and the smoking i am going to stop tomorrow .. I dont think that is changing anything mfor me except taking some stress off .. in the long run that is also money i dont have .. thansk again for all the wonderful support it means sooo much to me .. I dont feel so alone when i am on here reading all the nice stuff people say .. its just physically im alone .. 

• specialk
    edited May 2012

lisamarie - I can't imagine going through this alone - I count my blessings, and I am sad for you - but we really are here for you, and thinking about you.  I know what you mean about the physical nature of your job - I worked in transfusion services in the hospital - very chaotic environment and extremely fast-paced.  Following my BMX with TE, I had 4 surgeries in the next 8 weeks, ending with the loss of the left TE.  I did not go back to work until after 30 days after my last chemo, but then resigned 3 weeks later due to more surgery and physical therapy!  Just be careful, and don't hurt yourself.  Are you self-employed or do you work through an agency?

• lisamarie68
    edited May 2012

I do private duty so i guess u could say self emplyed but my boss has our pay through a paycheck system so taxes get taken out and stuff. i dont work for any agency

• momof3infla
    edited May 2012

I'm hoping we can proceed with caution lol.  Will know more after the Derm and PS appts are done on Mon. It's not getting any worse, still does not hurt, no fever, etc...  so that's all good stuff.  I'm really questioning the Hibiclens. Who the heck knows?  I'll update on Monday after my appts.

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited May 2012

Mom of three, when I got my second set of expanders, I broke out in a horrible rash that itched intensely all around and on the foobs. Everyone was freaked...PS didnt know what it was, infectious doc didnt think it was infection, but didn't know either. I finally called the dermatologist I see once a year for a skin cancer check. He doesnt do anything but the serious stuff, but I begged my way in, as I dont have a dermatologist.

He thought it was some kind of contact reaction, saying he hoped it wasnt to the expanders. Prescribed a really strong topical steroid that I could only use for 7 days as it thins skin. That did the trick thank heavens. I also had a red spot from the infection that did not go away until the fat grafting. And we still have no idea what triggered it.

We watched everything very carefully and babied it until the implants went in.

I hope all continues to heal for you.

Lisamarie....hugs to you. We all cheat. I gave up refined sugar and white flour a year ago. Just this past week, while I was out of town, I ate 3 packages of Haribo gummy bears. Made myself sick! Lol. At least it is out of my system now. Take care of ourself.

• chickadee521
    chickadee521 Member Posts: 423
    edited May 2012

Happy Mother's Day everyone!

One year ago yesterday I was coming home from the hospital.  What a difference a year makes.

Gentle hugs to all those still healing! 

• momof3infla
    edited May 2012

Thanks Fluff, I remember your issue with that.  On the bright side, if it is the expanders, they are due to come out anyway on Wednesday.

So far so good, there has been no further spreading of the red areas. I see the Derm tomorrow, then right to the PS. It doesn't hurt or itch at all, and I really wouldn't even know it was there if I wasn't looking at it 100 times/day.

Crossing fingers that exchange goes on.