Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• momof3infla
    momof3infla Member Posts: 333
    edited May 2012

DLL, Yes I can't believe how well I'm doing so far. I've had no pain pills but Ibuprofen today. I ended up with high profile Natrelle silicone gel implants. They look like a C, I just don't know if it's a small or a mid C. I'm really happy with the size, and I guess I'll find out more details Monday at post op visit. PS asked just before surgery if I wanted to go as big as the expanders or a little smaller, and I said smaller. I thought those TE's were ridiculous lol. 

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited May 2012

LOL, SpecialK--yesterday was my first trip to Nordy's Rack. I was good---all I bought was 2 bras.

Yay, momof3--glad you are happy & doing well.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited May 2012

dll - I was always tempted by the Rack because it is not far from the PS office so when I was going for weekly fills I was also getting in a weekly visit to Nordstrom Rack, ha!

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited May 2012

That is how I work my hair appointments. He moved to the other side of town, which has the Whole foods, trader Joes, Nordstrom Rack and a Home Goods store, not to mention the Nordstrom's and Saks. I 'll be making a day of it on Tuesday.

Glad to hear everything is going well momof3. Hope you get the drains out.

Green....hope that you get some relief. Those things are like carrying rocks around.

• dunesleeper
    dunesleeper Member Posts: 1,305
    edited May 2012

I took off work tonight, but instead of relaxing I did a bit of hard work around the house. So of course I am paying for it now and likely for the next few days. I refuse to take the flexeril, at least for now. After more fills, I may have to do it. Then I will really be out of it. Skelaxin never did a thing for me either. I think it is supposed to affect only the peripheral nervous system, whereas flexeril affects both the peripheral and central nervous systems. Anyway, it is my decided opinion that skelaxin is a total rip off. On the other hand, flexeril makes me very very stupid and dry-mouthed. My tongue doesn't work right with it. And those side effects last a couple of days for me, even from just one pill. It is not a pleasant feeling at all. My doctor was supposed to increase my xanax but all she did was give me 70 instead of 60 with the same dosing instructions. So, I am nearly out of them and can't get them refilled yet. Sometimes I just want to shake some people. I do realize that xanax is addictive. In fact, after so many years of use, I'm sure I have some addiction to them. However, for now I need the dose increased. Why is that so difficult? She can step me back down off of it when things calm down. Ugh! Now, since I had to take 2 xanax earlier today to get a nap to relax after -- tada: sanding my kitchen walls and then vacuuming them and then cleaning up all the dust from the sanding, I could only take 1 xanax to sleep now (which puts me 1 over my allotment). Had to supplement that with an OTC sleep aid. Plus my usual melatonin. And if I can't sleep I'll take another xanax and then I guess head out to the streets to buy some. This is ridiculous! I know. If I had not overdone it today I would not be needing the extra xanax today. But I live alone. If I don't do it, it isn't going to get done. It is not fun to live with icky kitchen walls that have had the wallpaper stripped and so need sanding and spackling and more sanding and painting. But I will hold off on the painting. I just want to get it prepped. OK. Sorry for the ramble. This stingey prescription nonsense just pisses me off!

• theBCavenger
    theBCavenger Member Posts: 172
    edited May 2012

I have lost my wedding ring and watch and I blame Tamoxifen! 

It is like I lost time! One minute I was holding them, the next I was wondering where they were. I am so upset... there is not alot of spacial area, and I'm not prone to put them "in" anything. Never the less, I have checked purse, drawers, drain, trash, cabinets... I've also had 3 other set of eyes take a look! Where in the world could they have gone?

Ever since I started taking Tamox I feel as if I am in a cloud. Sometimes I forget what I'm talking about as I am talking. But to loose two precious gifts from my DH, breaks my heart :(

• DLL66
    edited May 2012

Hope you find your ring & watch, DM13. I misplaced my wedding rings last year. I had taken them off for surgery & forgot where I hid them. I found them in a box in a drawer in the bathroom.

It's probably a good thing that my PS' office isn't too close to any shopping temptations like that, SpecialK &  fluffqueen! On the plus side, I think I found a shorter route to my PS. 

Hope everyone is having a great weekend. We have concert tix for tonight & I am really looking forward to it. 

• specialk
    edited May 2012

DM - the watch and ring will turn up - I have done this too, and then found them in a place I swear I have already looked!

dll - who are you going to see in concert?  And, yes, the PS location is dangerous for me - I was pleasantly surprised by the frequent arrival in the mail of "Nordstrom Notes" which are like gift certificates - then I remembered that you earn them by spending money there!  Ha!  I did purchase a lot of ruffled tops when I had the TE out for so long - and also bigger pants :(

• DLL66
    edited May 2012

We are going to see Jane's Addiction. Should be fun--& I am on a mission to have fun lately :)

• specialk
    edited May 2012

dll - a mission to have fun is awesome - enjoy!

• momof3infla
    edited May 2012

DLL - LOVE Jane's Addiction. Saw them back in my crazy days when I grew up in Daytona.

Still feeling great. Drainage keeps getting less everyday. Hoping to get at least the right side drain out on Monday. I honestly feel like I could drive, but I'm going to lay low until Monday post op visit. Will probably drive myself there - it's right across the street, less than a 2 minute drive.

All my boys are out playing baseball, so I'm enjoying a quiet day at home, watching "One for the Money". 

• specialk
    edited May 2012

momof3 - very cute movie!  I have read all the books and was worried about whether they would portray the characters accurately, but I think they did!  Yay on the continuing recovery!

• DLL66
    edited May 2012

Thanks, SpecialK!

momof3, glad you are doing well! Small world--we lived in Daytona on the beachside from '97-'08 before moving to this side of the state. 

• theBCavenger
    edited May 2012

DLL - Love Janes Addiction too! Hope you have a great time.

My LazyBoy was hungry! I opened up the back Velcro trap, and ring fell out! Watch was deeper in the bowels of the beast! I am so happy to have found watch and ring, I can rest now.

Walked a couple miles today with dog, life is good! 

• 2FriedEggs
    2FriedEggs Member Posts: 324
    edited May 2012

DM13 that is great that you found them! I'm still blaming things that I misplace on the anesthesia from over 2 weeks ago. I don't think there should a statute of limitations on that kind of stuff right? lol

Momof3inFl so glad you are doing so well. Don't rush the drains. I ran to the ps on Thursday after mine had dropped below 25cc for a 24 hour period like she wanted, but today I have some fluid building up on the side. Hope it decides to dissipate and be absorbed by my body like it was supposed to in the first place and not hang around and cause me problems.

• specialk
    edited May 2012

DM - yay for the finding of the jewels!

• Lifeafter
    Lifeafter Member Posts: 298
    edited May 2012

I went shopping today. Not for me, for my daughter. I bought her a dress for graduation and an outfit for her grad party. I wasn't going to, she has plentyyyyy of clothes. But seeing as I'm going to need to rely on her heavily after this next surgery, why not.

On my way to my aunts to get started on a tote I'm crocheting. my corners aren't coming out right. I keep having to tear it apart!

Momof3 - yah on the drainage slowing down!

Michelle :-)

• 1Curlyfry
    1Curlyfry Member Posts: 45
    edited May 2012

I officially declare that the worst part of breast reconstruction is the miserable drains. They just hurt all the time. They disappoint you when they don't slow down so you can get them out before you go out to dinner with friends and you have to find a way to hide them. I just hate the drains. :)

I have to go back to work on Monday. I'm in sales. How do I confidently sell techonology with drains hanging out of me?

Ok. I'm better now. Just had to vent a bit! I'm happy to still be able to vent! Hope you are having a wonderful weekend!

• 2FriedEggs
    2FriedEggs Member Posts: 324
    edited May 2012

1Curlyfry  lol You are right the drains suck and I never thought I'd say this but I wish I'd have had them leave mine in over the weekend because now I have fluid pooling on my sides looking for the drains that I couldn't wait to have removed.  My body seems to want NO part in absorbing the left over fluid.

• fluffqueen01
    edited May 2012

Dm...glad you found the jewelry. I blame all my forgetfulness on chemo brain.

I agree, I can literally be talking about a subject, and lose my track. Or...not be able to find a word. So frustrating.

Momof3...hope those drains are gone on Monday!

Curlyfry...i found stuff with inside pockets that helped. And I had some looser dresses and blazers that hid them pretty well, but you are right, it takes creativity.

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited May 2012

DM: Tamox def. messes up the mind! I've been on it 15 months and just the past couple of weeks noticed my memory is finally getting back to normal. I'm also sleeping better. Glad you found your jewelry! 

Momof3in FL: So happy you are progressing!

dunesleeper: I understand your frustration with needing more Xanax than risking not having any at all. I think you need to have another talk with your doc, pull that cancer card if you need to. Sleep is so very important, and the anxiety of thinking you can't fall asleep is horrible!

Curlyfry: Yes the drains SUCK!!

FLmomandwife: I too had a lot of drainage. It's good that your body is expressing it at the drain site. Better the fluid drain out via the existing "stab wound" (as the path reports call it... quite accurate, actually!) than finding another way out. Keep lots of sterile gauze in place and change often. Hopefully your body will slow down fluid production and start absorbing the excess as you heal. Good luck!

DL66: Being on a mission to have fun is an awesome thing! Props.

• dunesleeper
    edited May 2012

Love this . . . not. I went to bed, sure I could fall asleep, around 7:30 pm. It is now 2 am. And I still cannot refill my xanax. I think I'm going to have to have a chat with the pharmacy later today.

I get a fill this week, and I look forward to asking my PS some questions. It would be great to have an idea of how much he plans to fill and maybe when the exchange will be done and how that will be done.

• theBCavenger
    edited May 2012

I hated my drains too, but I was lucky and didn't have them in long. Actually, when I think about it, the pain was so bad after surgery, that the drains were an after thought. It did hurt like hell to have them removed... especially on the cancer side, and I think the act of removal helped to cause LE on the side :(

So much talk of Xanax, and I'm feeling very left out. I have never tried it, and from what you are all saying, it is nice. I've had several scripts for it but never had them filled! Gee, guess there is a hot market for it, maybe could have made a few bucks on the side! LOL!!! 

• fluffqueen01
    edited May 2012

DM... I am laughing at your post, because I fill every prescription for that stuff that they give me. I call it my "just in case" policy. I can only take 1/4 to one half of ambien, so I am stocked for a long time.

My husband says we could make a fortune on the streets, lol.

• momof3infla
    edited May 2012

I learned the hard way when I had my infection in the right TE not to rush taking out the drains. Fluid buildup can cause big problems and I'm not going to let that happen.

The right drain is putting out just drops, definitely time to come out. Yesterday and today are well under 20cc's, so I'm pretty sure she'll be taking that one out.

The left one, where all the scar tissue work was done is putting out close to 20cc's today (5-8cc's every 6 hours), and I think that Monday and Tuesday will be my 2 days under 20cc's, so it will probably come out on Wednesday. But if it's not ready, then so be it. I will wait until it's time. I just hate the tugging/stinging feeling from where the tubes are. Not really a big deal though.

Went to the grocery store this morning with hubby. YAY, just to get out for a bit. They are all out playing baseball in Bradenton, so at least I can do some laundry and cooking and feel like I'm contributing.

Have a wonderful Sunday:)

• ginger48
    ginger48 Member Posts: 1,437
    edited May 2012

Michelle- Love the new screen name! I am impressed with all your recent exercise!

dunesleeper-Valium was a lifesaver for me throughout my TE fills. My PS was not at all stingy with it. I think you need to have an assertive talk with your dr about pain management and insist that they help you with this problem. You must sleep to get your energy back. Also, I was not allowed to do any vacuuming, weeding, etc. for a long time due to it cranking up lymphedema so please take it easy and don't do too much!

• ginger48
    ginger48 Member Posts: 1,437
    edited May 2012

Lorime- I joined this thread for the same reason you did; I was in too much pain! Some of us have pain from infections and others for other reasons but this was a great place to come to vent, get suggestions and celebrate success when you finally made it through. Please do not feel that you do not have valid complaints; you belong here too!

• specialk
    edited May 2012

DM - I too have never taken Xanax, although my BS wrote a script for it on the first appointment with him.  I have never taken Valium, Soma, or any of the muscle relaxers either.  I still have the original bottle of Vicodin from BMX, and that was in November of 2010! I received a script for Vicodin with each of the 6 additional surgeries I have had since the BMX.  Don't feel like the Lone Ranger!  I have a lot of meds from chemo though - I have often joked that I could open a pharmacy in my driveway and make some extra cash!  So, if any of my neighbors are either retaining fluid or nauseous, I can hook them up!

• fluffqueen01
    edited May 2012

Same here specialk. Or if they cant sleep, have a rash, pain, or kidney stones...I can help.

• dunesleeper
    edited May 2012

Last night was hellish. I stayed in bed until around 2 pm and never did sleep. That's 7:30 pm to 2 pm. That's what it is like for me without xanax. I was really hoping the melatonin would be helping me by now, but apparently not so. Anyway, I was able to get my prescription refilled, so it's all good. I just have to go back to taking them only to help me sleep.