Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• GreenMonkey
    GreenMonkey Member Posts: 291
    edited May 2012

THANKS specialK... I'm thinking this is NUTS, after a BMX revision but... I keep thinking I get ths crazyness so I have something to write about.   by the way...... i'm  high on vicodin and valium.  160 cc in left 60 on right... the left is not a problem because it leaked out but the right....... well, damn that hurts again

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited May 2012

GM - eventually all this will quiet down and you will have to search for things to write about!  Sorry your righty is hurting!

• GreenMonkey
    edited May 2012

I like the sound of that SK!!! 

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited May 2012

Hello again! I have only one more chemo to go, and am starting to think about after. I need a te replaced. How soon after chemo will they consider it? And does herceptain preclude a te implant? Anyone know? Thanks

• Tatina123
    Tatina123 Member Posts: 312
    edited May 2012

GM and Erika: I am so sorry you have to go through surgery....you'll be in my thoughts.

Fluff: I wish I had answers for you. How uncomfortable is this spot? UGH.

T

• specialk
    edited May 2012

moon - I finished chemo first week of June and had my TE re-installed in mid-July.  I was continuing on Herceptin at that point, but I did schedule the surgery for the day after Herceptin so that I had three weeks before I needed to go and have it again.  My PS is very restrictive on driving post-surg, so I tried to minimize any places I had to go!

• momof3infla
    momof3infla Member Posts: 333
    edited May 2012

Thinking of you today, Green Monkey. Just know that your PS will get in there and fix everything and hopefully it will be smooth sailing from here. S&*# happens, but you are strong and will get through this.

Had a good day yesterday. Looks like I'm still on target for getting the drain out Friday. I probably could do it tomorrow, but want to be double and triple sure that it's ready to come out. Been there, done that with the fluid problems and I don't ever want to do that again.

I'm driving, even with the 1 drain. Zero pain. I have to get oldest son to allergy shots today, then my youngest tore the cartiledge on the top of his ear landing on a trampoline spring over the weekend. My friend had to take him to urgent care while my husband rushed from Bradenton to be with him. There was no way in hell I was going near an Urgent Care facility with drains and incisions. NO WAY lol. So youngest has to get stitches out on Friday before school. Middle son is home now with a fever and sinus infection/asthma. These boys had better get rid of their ailments before the long weekend!

• chickadee521
    chickadee521 Member Posts: 423
    edited May 2012

GM-My TE did exactly what Special K mentioned.  It had a fold in it that my PS punctured during a fill.  Mine didn't start leaking till my last fill.  Talk about disappointing!

Moon-Finished chemo Aug 10 had TE replacement surgery Sept 2.  So about 3 weeks for me. 

• MTnester
    MTnester Member Posts: 147
    edited May 2012

Quick Hi-thinking of all of you and I follow your progress but I don't chime in very often, sorry. GM - I had a leaky TE as well, Annoying! But the replaced one functioned well and made it through to the end.

Saw my 2nd opinion PS yesterday, LOVE her. I am scheduled for revision surgery June 4th, moving into saline implants which will be overfilled plus she's doing a LOT of pocket/capsule work to narrow the pocket and make some releases as she called them to allow the implant to round out. Oh how I wish I had seen her first. But, we can't go back in time so I will just keep forging ahead. Hugs to all of you - prayers for smooth sailing and healing!

• lisamarie68
    lisamarie68 Member Posts: 971
    edited May 2012

GM I am thinking of you all day today .. hope it all goes well ... Lots of hugs and positive thoughts for u :)

• GreenMonkey
    edited May 2012

(((((((THANK YOU EVERYONE))))))))

I'll be curious to see what caused the leak. Does anyone know if you can do anything to cause a leak - like say....hmmm, heavy lifting (cleaned out a cluttered basement on Saturday)? 

• jlmg
    jlmg Member Posts: 27
    edited May 2012

Hi Michelle, I have some options.  I can do nothing, or try another expander  in about 3-4 months.  I don't have enough belly tissue for another flap.  I plan to wait and try again.  Right now I try to focus on healing again.  I need that after 8 surgeries in 13 months.  I will make a new falsie; my old pattern is too big because of the flap.  I need to match the other implant.  I plan to enjoy my summer and get myself back.  My workout and swimming have seriously been hampered, and this is interferring with my sunny disposition!  Fluffqueen hit the nail on the head, who knew the reconstruction would be so involved!  Greenmonkey, you'll never run out of topics to write about.  This BC is a trailing vine of surprises.

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited May 2012

Hope surgery went well for you both, Erika & GreenMonkey!

I am seeing definite improvement in the shape of the saline implant after a full week of mega-tight underwire 24/7. PS has had me in an underwire 24/7 for a while now, but now I have to shove the saline side up as high as I can get it first... 

• theBCavenger
    theBCavenger Member Posts: 172
    edited May 2012

GM - Sending prayers you way!

Woke up last night at 4:30 crying from the pain in my bad arm! I guess this is form the frozen shoulder... still waiting for referral to go through for PT & LE... I have been on more pain pills than I was after BMX!

Anyway, managed to walk 2.8 miles today with dog! Found a great app for iPhone called Nike+GPS and it tracks your distance and calories etc... very cool and cheap! 

• momof3infla
    edited May 2012

GM, I doubt it was anything you did.  I was pretty hardcore when I had my TE's in. I jogged everyday, lifted weights, did spin classes, worked in the yard - I was very active. I bet it was just punctured somehow. Keep us posted when you can:)

• momof3infla
    edited May 2012

OK, so I got a good look at the "girls" tonight as I was cleaning around the drain and changing my gauze dressing on the incisions. The right one looks great. That drain was taken out on Monday. The left one, (drain still in) has hardly any fluid draining anymore and that drain should come out on Friday. But the boob is noticeably larger or more swollen. Is that normal? Maybe because she did so much pocket work cleaning out the scar tissue? Always my concern is that I'll have a fluid problem, but really the drain has next to nothing in it. Maybe 5cc's every 6 hours. I'm sure it's OK, just don't want to get stuck in a jam over the 3 day weekend. That would suck.

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited May 2012

Mom....not sure. maybe some residual swelling?

• dunesleeper
    dunesleeper Member Posts: 1,305
    edited May 2012

momo, how were you able to do so much with your TEs in? I don't seem to be able to do much of anything without having a lot of pain to deal with. I'm about ready to give up.

• specialk
    edited May 2012

momof3 - I had quite a bit of swelling right after exchange, although it seemed to be pretty symmetrical, even though technically I had an exchange and revision on the left side.  I was actually a little surprised when the swelling went down and I saw the actual size, not that I am complaining - they are perfect for my body shape.  I seemed to have more swelling from exchange than from the BMX.

• Tatina123
    Tatina123 Member Posts: 312
    edited May 2012

Hi everyone,

Just got back from my pre op with Dr. Easy on the Eyes (DM cracks up with this).  So, Tuesday is a go with squishies and will also include:

1. Allograft on the top portion of the foob to smooth away ripples.

2. Skin trimmping on the left to match the right which lost skin after the infection.

3. A little lipo in the tummy to do fat filling in the foob area (which is a good thing since I gained 6 pounds in Italy).

4. And apparently, using a brand new state-of-the-art high profile implant on me (will get the name, was too happy about the lipo and forgot).

5. It appears I may not need drains but we shall see.

My nerves are much calmer after seeing Dr. Easy on the Eyes.

Mom - yes, swelling on more than one side is normal -- the nurse told me so today.

DL66 - happy to have read your GREAT news!

And to GM and Erika - I hope you are resting well. 

Nightie night,

• momof3infla
    edited May 2012

Thanks:) I think it's some swelling after all the work she did, and that the drain is still in there. Once all that tubing comes out hopefully it settles down. It's not red or hot or anything, just slightly swollen looking. Still zero pain. I'm going to call PS's ofice (even though she's in Vegas lol) to see when the nurse wants to take it out - either today or tomorrow. I'm kind of leaning toward tomorrow.

GM and Erika- how are you??

• Dianarose
    Dianarose Member Posts: 1,951
    edited May 2012

If anyone had rads with the TE can you tell me how long after you are finished before you can do the exchange?

• GreenMonkey
    edited May 2012

I am home!  I honetly would not be coping as well if I didn't have all of you..really. 

PS told my husband, that there was a small leak at the bottom of the TE. I now have 300 cc on my right and 200 on my left (need to double check that with my doctor today to verify that). I came so close to saying FRUCK IT and settle with an A.  

Okay, what I meant to address (not always about you Shannon - says Shannon to her self)  

oops,needed to reread that but Dianaross, my PS has zero wait time between TE to implant. BUT, I had no rads so my comment is irrelevant.  

• momof3infla
    edited May 2012

YAY GM you are home:)  Now you know everything is good and right. Rest up:)

Good news (I think?). My PS hasn't left to go out of town yet, and when I just called about my drain removal, she said she'd rather do it today instead of tomorrow, while she's in the office, just to look and make sure everything is healing correctly. So off I go at 1pm. It's always such an instant relief when those blasted drains are out.

• Lifeafter
    Lifeafter Member Posts: 298
    edited May 2012

Dunes - Everybody is at their own pace with how much they can do with TEs.  I was working out 4 weeks after BMX with TEs, but then I had a set back. No fault of my own.  After that my head wasn't in the game.  But now I'm back to doing weights, resistance bands, gardening (just finished shoveling, turning over and planting), etc.  I'm almost a year out from BMX and just now starting to feel like the old me.

Tatina - I wish I had a Dr Easy on the Eyes! lol  Dangit!  Sounds like you have a nice solid plan for squishies!!  How exciting!!!

Mom - You are so patient with your drains.  And doing all that you are doing with them still in!  I bow down to you.  Everytime I've had them in, I've basically turned into a recluse. They hurt and I'm just miserable trying to move around with them.  Then I don't have young ones...let alone three boys! Oye!

Mtnester - Hi!

DL - Yah!

DM - I'm so sorry about that pain.  My MIL has frozen shoulder and I know that pain is no joke.  :(

GM - Yah you are home!  :-)  Boo you're in pain! :-(  My new dr has zero time between the last fill of TEs and implants also.  Get some rest monkey girl...like you haven't heard that a million zillion times already! ;-)

Michelle

• momof3infla
    edited May 2012

I am drain-free!!  Yay Laughing

She said that everything looks great and to keep pressure on the gauze covering where drain was every couple of hours to make sure fluid gets out.

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited May 2012

Glad you are home, GreenMonkey & glad your drain is out, momof3!

LOL, Tatina--referring to him as Dr. Easy on the Eyes is cute! Glad you have a solid plan.

• theBCavenger
    theBCavenger Member Posts: 172
    edited May 2012

Tatina - I sent you a PM, but so excited about your exchange! I wonder, do you feel better going under knowing Dr. Easy on the Eyes is in charge? My new PS is better looking than my old one (he is not super cute though) anyway, this is sick, but I think I feel better! Gosh, did I just say that out loud???? I am so BAD!

They have the Vegas info for reunion in September. Several of us are planning on going and room sharing. Please contact me or post if you want to join us. We have all become so close in sharing all our issues... would be so cool to actually hang by the pool! 

• GreenMonkey
    edited May 2012

That is sooooo great you got your drain out momo!!!

According to my PS, my leak was the bottom of the TE. I swear, she was more upset about it then I was.  Got me into the operating room in less than 24 hours. 

Does anyone know if you can do something to cause a leak/ruptue in a TE?

Best. Shannon 

• dunesleeper
    dunesleeper Member Posts: 1,305
    edited May 2012

I got a fill today. I get one more in about a month. Then around August I get the exchange.