Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• chickadee521
    chickadee521 Member Posts: 423
    edited June 2012

Thanks for the AI information Special K....but I am not in menopause.

T-this goes to show how different PS's are.  I was told NOT to wear a compression garment after my fg. 

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited June 2012

chick - if you are not menopausal why a Tamoxifen switch and what would they switch you to?  I am confused.

• chickadee521
    edited June 2012

no switch since I am not menopausal.  Still on tamoxifen.  Sorry for confusion.

• Tatina123
    Tatina123 Member Posts: 312
    edited June 2012

SpecialK - my ps requires those who have undergone tummy lipo to wear a post op compression garment for 4 weeks (and in some cases, longer). Spanks offers the same benefits as does the orthopedic stretchy belt. Dr. Easy on the Eyes says the compression keeps the blood flowing, reduces swelling, and lessens bruising.

Chick- yes these docs are DIFFERENT. Chick, how long for you until your stomach area felt better?

Came back from Dr. Easy on the Eyes. The red thumbprint mark was from the tight bra and some surgical adehesive which accidentally dripped onto --felt like sandpaper. Hey, I see red and I think infection.....can't help it!

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited June 2012

chick - no problem, I am easily confused, lol!

tatina - sorry I didn't realize that you did the lipo at the same time as exchange, see - confused again!

• Dragonfly2012
    Dragonfly2012 Member Posts: 45
    edited June 2012

Hi there, I have a question about my tissue expanders and was wondering if anyone can offer some insight. I have just recently had my last fill (2 weeks ago) and am now waiting for my exchange. I have had no real problems to date except extreme discomfort for the first few months which has improved dramatically with massage therapy. I have 630 cc's each side. The skin over the tissue expanders seems quite thin and fragile. Today, I have developed redness on my chest between and underneath the tissue expanders. No heat, no itchiness, no fever, if I couldn't see it I wouldn't know it was there. I have had this kind of red splotchiness in these same areas pre-mastectomy when I took certain antibiotics or OTC meds, but I haven't taken anything. Has anyone experienced this? Should I be worried? Thanks in advance for any info you might be able to provide!

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited June 2012

Dragonfly2012: Put a call into your PS's office even tho it's the weekend. You could simply be having a reaction to something topical (new soap? detergent?) since you say you had this problem before BMX. But you need to rule out possible infection. There are several ladies here who had redness, hopefully they will chime in to help you!

BCAvenger, SpecialK and Chickadee: Y'all are on the surgery board above!

Tatina: Congrats on the award! So sorry about the oozing. Glad you got some good news from Dr. Easy on the Eyes today! ;-)

Bonseye: Glad you love your results!

Chick: Did your MO say how long he/she wants you on the Tammi after you finally ARE in menopause? I had my estrogen levels checked last month and I AM in menopause. There was some discussion about my switching to Arimidex in a year. Not sure I agree with that. Am switching MO's in August though so will revisit that once I get my new MO.

Moonflwr912: The in-between stage you are in sucks. Patience is the name of this game! {{{hugs}}}

FLmomandwife: Here are my MRI tips:
    1) Breath deeply while you're waiting. Don't let your mind wander into the worry zone.
    2) Don't be overly ambitious when you walk into the MRI room. Keep your eyes and mind focused on walking towards the machine. Try not to think of anything else in that moment.
    3) Lay down as instructed and close your eyes immediately. Get comfortable. Listen to the tech's instructions, but whatever you do, do not open your eyes. Wear an eye mask without metal in it (if they'll let you).
    4) Think about your favorite place that is relaxing and joyful to you. (For me, it's being at the top of a hill I regularly hike to.) While you are imagining the details of your favorite place, the MRI will commence. Whatever you do, no matter how many times they ask you to move or they move the machine to reposition you, keep your eyes shut. Focus on your breathing; it should be slow and rhythmic as you relax into whatever pleasant experience your mind is conjuring up for you. (I used this same technique as a pre-surgery meditation.) Next thing you know, the tech will be telling you it's over. Remember: If you can't see that you are closed in, you can tell your mind you are anywhere!

• 2FriedEggs
    2FriedEggs Member Posts: 324
    edited June 2012

Thank you for the MRI tips. I hope I don't have to use them but if I do have to have another MRI I will definitely give thema try. lol

• chickadee521
    edited June 2012

T- For me the pain associated with the fat grafting was the worst pain of all the surgeries.  I had my surgery on 2/24 and started a full time substitute job on 3/6 and still had slight discomfort then.  Maybe though with the compression garment you will feel better.

Ren-She wanted to switch me right away if I was which is why I asked the question here.  I have some concern about it as well.  I am interested what your new MO says.  Please keep me informed.

• Bogie
    Bogie Member Posts: 79
    edited June 2012

Any suggestions on The Best Plastic Surgeon in Chicago? I'm in the middle of reconstruction with TE still in and I need a very good top surgeon to fix the damage done.

Preferably Loyola or University of Chicago.

Thank you!

• momof3infla
    momof3infla Member Posts: 333
    edited June 2012

Dragonfly, I developed a red patch of skin under my left expander (it was in for 13 months). I suddenly became allergic to the Hibiclens scrub toward the end, and the red area was there for many months. The dermatologists (went to 2) couldn't figure it out either. They thought that perhaps my skin was stretched to the limit and was becoming agitated. When I got the exchange, my PS said there was soooo much scar tissue covering that expander, and we think that was the cause of the red area. I'm 2 1/2 weeks out from exchange, and guess what...the red area disappeared. Good that it's not hot, no pain or fever, etc.... but definitely let your PS know what's going on.

• Dragonfly2012
    Dragonfly2012 Member Posts: 45
    edited June 2012

Momof3infla, thanks SO much for that insight! The redness is virtually gone this morning so I'm guessing it was a transitory reaction of some sort. But the scar tissue issue resonates - the skin over my left tissue expander gets red off and on for no apparent reason - I have asked about it during the course of my fills, but it's never actually there when I have an appt and they have said everything looks okay, even though the port is much closer to the surface on that side. It's also very likely that I have excessive scar tissue on that side, as it has caused the expander to have a very weird shape with a prominent dent. Since I'm not scheduled to see them again until my pre-op several months from now, I will keep a close eye on the redness and call them if it persists more than a day. Thank you again!

• Rennasus
    edited June 2012
    Bogie: There is a group from Illinois here on BCO that will have info for you on PS's. The forum is called "Illinois ladies facing BC" (http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/6/topic/504025?page=785#post_3042526)
  • theBCavenger
    theBCavenger Member Posts: 172
    edited June 2012

Tatina - what I meant is "What is Spanx" - I've never heard of it! So excited for you and your award. Would love to read some of your stuff...

BCAvenger - I wish I could do what you do! Keep up the good work :) 

• Tatina123
    edited June 2012

DM - check out spanx.com. They come in all styles to make you look thinner. I bought the body shaper so I have good compression in my mid section. I'm eyeing the booty booster for a later date.....

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465
    edited June 2012

TwinMom, yep me too still trying to figure out what to do on the nips. Finally found out my PS does a 3rd real surg in the hospital for the nips! OMG, and I have to do the 2nd surg to get the TE out. I went for another fill and they have me at 550cc now and I am done but the ARNP!!the filler lady said maybe I should get one more. Oh no,I dont want more,they are huge now but there is not much projection if I look at it from the side??? All the volume is at the top so the scooped tops look cute but the bottom of the TE is so square and looks ugly. Scared of another surg.  Think I will go on Endeavor website and get the tatoo rubon nips that stay on for a few wks before I get the nip recon. Of course I contacted some 3D artists and they are trying to get me to do that. I cant get a real tatoo, pain is not my friend.

Gotta a call from my friend whose double D salines popped,she got them for beauty 15 yrs ago. She got replacmt surg in May and called and says I took your advice and I am like huh?

She said she got a smaller implant in gel. I never told her to do that,I only said thats what I wanted to do,get a smaller one than a double D. I only want to do a C.

• Bogie
    Bogie Member Posts: 79
    edited June 2012

Thanks Rennasus I stopped in there as well and jump around to a few.

My LE therapist recommended Spanx! I like them the camis for everyday except getting them over your shoulders is like fat guy in a little coat..not for the 3 second run out to work gal like me! So I make more time now before heading into the office. good product for truncal LE along with flexes.

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465
    edited June 2012

Wow BCAvenger, wish I was in Calif. I love San Fran in July when its 68 with 9% humidity and here in FL its 96 with 96% humidity. Fiance cant go right now so I guess they can schedule my exchange surg.

Wish I had a teenage daughter with her own mini drama to take my mind off all my own junk. I got boys. (they never tell me anything so I call the girlfriends and they tell me the gossip)Their girlfriends were cool when they were visiting,drama over the cell phone,drama over her hair etc.  I never got any sleep..LOL. Glad your "baby" is getting ready for the prom tho,that will be fun and besides the kids can take it slow,people dont have to get married when they graduate from high school these days.

• MTnester
    MTnester Member Posts: 147
    edited June 2012

The reality is setting in and I'm getting nervous about tomorrow. I'm having trust issues, what if the second PS doesn't do what she said she would, like the first PS? deep in my heart I trust her or I wouldn't be going through with surgery tomorrow, but my mind is straying to strange thoughts.

We are heading out soon, three hours one way to the surgery city. I will be in touch later this week! I hope you are all doing well.

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited June 2012

Good luck & safe travels, MTNester!

• Tatina123
    edited June 2012

Sending good thoughts your way, MT!

T

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited June 2012

Good luck, mtnester, and safe travels.

• chickadee521
    edited June 2012

Good luck MT

• momof3infla
    edited June 2012

Thinking of you, MTNester! You'll be fine!!

• 1Curlyfry
    1Curlyfry Member Posts: 45
    edited June 2012

I've been out of touch the last few days. I'm sad to report my new TE that was put in on May 15th has decided to bad. Everything was going so well and I was so excited....

Then I woke up at about midnight on Thursday with horrible pain below my new TE. By 3:00am on Friday morning I new I was in serious trouble. I suffered in silence until my DH woke up then I cried my eyes out until it was late enough to call my PS. She met me at her office at 7:00am to pull fluid and run cultures.

She is not convinced it is infection, just seroma, but the pain is so intence that i'm pretty sure it is infection. We will see how the fluid test comes out. She did give me antibiotics to be safe, but I still have miserable pain - thank heavens for Norco.

Has anyone heard of anyone saving a TE when it goes bad? I'm so disappointed and I just keep trying to brave for my family, but inside I'm breaking apart. I keep praying, but that did not help last time....

• Tatina123
    edited June 2012

Hi Curly,

You poor thing.... I am relieved that your doc does not think it's an infection. But of course, I understand your fear. Although my TE couldn't be saved with my infection, I have heard of success stories here on BC.org. My infection had no pain. It was a hot and angry red.

I hope you get those culture results back soon.

Take care,

T

• Rennasus
    edited June 2012

MTnester: Good luck tomorrow! We will be thinking of you!

CurleyFry: Oh no! We feel your pain! I'm so sorry you are struggling. Sometimes taking the TE out and letting things calm down and heal is the best thing for your body. I know that sounds like a horrible plan, but many of us have done that and are making our way towards the final goal — just a little more slowly. Please keep us posted with what your doc says about how she wants to proceed. Remember to stay ahead of the pain and take your colace to offset the dreaded pain pill SE! ;-)

• MondaysChild
    MondaysChild Member Posts: 161
    edited June 2012

Good luck, MT. Having had my own issues with agreeing to one thing but another thing happening, i understand your fears about trust, especially after what you went through before. Inexusable. You should be able to count on what you discussed and agree to with your surgeon. To emerge and find that to not be the case is a real emotional violation. It is hard to learn to trust again, but I hope your new surgeon teaches you that you can. I will pray for an easy recovery for you and beautiful results.

• MondaysChild
    MondaysChild Member Posts: 161
    edited June 2012

Curly,

I had an infection with a TE. I was on IV antibiotics for 10 days and then things were fine. I hope it turns out well for you, also.

• momof3infla
    edited June 2012

Hi ladies:)  Went to PS today. All looks good, but a small area where she removed the stitches is still bleeding just a tad. I see a drop of dried blood on the gauze dressing every morning. That started just after the drain hole finally closed up. So it seems that there is some blood/fluid that was trying to get out. She wants to wait a week and check it out again. If it's not healed up, then she wants me to go over to the radiology dept at the hospital so they can drain off the fluid (guided by ultrasound so they don't puncture the implant). Hopefully it won't come to that, but it is what it is. I've come to expect that there's always something...

MT Nester, hope you're doing well!!