Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited June 2012

You really do have to take it easier if it is hurting. Did you get a layer of alloderm under the implant? Some times that makes it hurt more for a while, but helps in the long term. I had TEs placed, but lost my left one due to infection. So please do take it easy for a while. Also try ice packs for a short time. Much love.

• redninrah
    redninrah Member Posts: 366
    edited June 2012

hi ladies quick question, i had my old TE removed and a new one put in beginning of may 7th. We are going really slow this time, as along the incision line there is still one small scab that is still there. so just waiting for it to pop off by itself. my question is, am i allowed to go swimming in a salt water pool. is this good or bad for the scab? any advice ladies...............

• Tatina123
    Tatina123 Member Posts: 312
    edited June 2012

Hello Red,

I'm sorry to hear you are in so much discomfort. I agree with the other ladies, you need to take it easy and give your body the time it needs to repair itself from these procedures. As for salt water, I would ask your plastic surgeon. I personally would want to lay low and do whatever possible to get over this tissue expander hump. You'll get there.....it takes time, patience, and treating your body with a lot of TLC.

Take care,

C

• ginger48
    ginger48 Member Posts: 1,437
    edited June 2012

Red- I was not allowed in any pool till incisions were healed.

Susie- it sounds like you overdid it but if you are in that much pain you might want to ask for a muscle relaxer. I found Valium and flexeril really helped. Sometimes you have to insist your dr listens to you. Is it possible you are too full?

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited June 2012
    REDNINRAH: I would say swimming is not worth the risk, salt water or chlorine. Your incision needs to heal completely first. Clearance from your doc definitely.

TATINA: How are you feeling?

MTnester: How was the Relay for Life? Let us know! And thank YOU for thinking of us!

CHICK: You said your implants look 200% better but you would not do FG again?

SpecialK: I also have friends with augmented implants that were done 20+ years ago and they are fine. I'm not worried about getting "replacements" — just worried about getting the first ones!

DM13: Sorry to hear you got a definitive LE diagnosis but happy you PT now! YAY!

SunderMOM: Happy to hear from you!

SusieR12: Agree with the others, be careful how much you do. It's hard to pace yourself when you want to get back to the way you were before surgery, but healing takes so much longer than we think it should. Many women have experienced pain from their TE's pressing on nerves. Perhaps other ladies will chime in who have had this. Take it easy!

• redninrah
    redninrah Member Posts: 366
    edited June 2012

Ok I guess I'll wait till the scab falls off before I go swimming.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited June 2012

ren - I know what you mean - now that I finally have them I am not giving them up - even in 10 years!

susie - here is a link to the PMPS (post mastectomy pain syndrome) thread:

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/136/topic/747016?page=1

However, you may be overdoing it, your TE may be pressing on a nerve (sharp pain) or structure, you may need to be judiciously be using muscle relaxers, or all of this combined.  IMHO this much pain this far out from surgery means either you are doing too much, something is wrong, or both.

• MTnester
    MTnester Member Posts: 147
    edited June 2012

Relay was awesome. My dad was asked to be the "pace car/leader" for the survivor lap. They had all of us who are within one year of diagnosis line up at the front of the group. As we were all lined up, they asked the less than one year people to turn around and see the survivors behind us - they are our hope. I cried, of course. I was exhausted, it was hot...I didn't walk much at all this year. But next year, LOOKOUT. I thought of all of you as I walked that survivor/caregiver lap. Not only are you all survivors, you are caregivers too - and for that I'm thankful.

Red-I would stay out of the water until you're healed. Susie-I agree with SpecialK. Curly, how are you doing? GM? Haven't heard from you in a while.

I'm still in the binder and have the drain tubes. I'm in awe of the ladies who have drain tubes for months on end. One week and I'm about bonkers. My armpits are really sore, I can tell the new PS did a lot of work to move the pocket in. I see her again Friday. She's going to show me how to massage my implants. I still can't get over how different she is in almost every way from the first PS. Different in a good way, that is.

• dunesleeper
    dunesleeper Member Posts: 1,305
    edited June 2012

You gave an awesome description MTnester! I would have cried too. I nearly cried reading your account of it.

And I can totally relate to the drains. I hate those things. I bought a mastectomy camisole, and it was such a comfort to me. The drains fit right in the pockets inside that thing. I still have it so I can use it for the exchange, but after that, I am donating it to a cancer center. It made those drains so much more tolerable. It felt like the only times I had to deal with the drains was when the cami was being washed and when I was being washed. ;>)

• Tatina123
    edited June 2012

Ren - feeling better every single day. Actually went to a couple work meetings today with my spanx, and boy, I felt more sharp pains with that on vs my surgical wrap belt. Foobs are shrinking nicely with a tint of yellow bruising - a perfect summertime color!
    How are you doing?

MT- what a special Relay for Life day you had!

• Lifeafter
    Lifeafter Member Posts: 298
    edited June 2012

Hi everyone, I'm back :p What craziness this past week. Graduation is over, grad party is over, took my oldest back to Santa Cruz, did some college shopping for my youngest. I'm so exhausted.

I got my pre-op packet in the mail today. Getting very nervous. I need five tests before surgery, one is an EKG. I've never had one. All I ever needed was a CBC test at the most. Also is a detail of what is being done. It's technical and I'm envisioning the pain. Ugh and also nervous that I'll be outpatient. The pain after BMX was unbearable. When is the decision made to stay one night in the hospital?

Curlyfry - The drains that were just removed, was that from your surgery in mid-may or the TE removal?

Haven't worked out since last Thursday due to being gone. Two weeks to work as hard as I can.

Michelle

• specialk
    edited June 2012

BCAvenger - glad you got through all the grad stuff intact!  Don't be nervous about your surgery, and don't worry about your pre-op tests, I had all those too. Fairly normal for most hospitals.  I think you can stay overnight (if your insurance OKs it) if your pain is uncontrolled, or you feel too ill.

• momof3infla
    momof3infla Member Posts: 333
    edited June 2012

Hi ladies,

I don't think I posted after my PS appt this past Monday. Everything is closed up, and the swelling/fluid is just about gone. She told me that I'm still only allowed to walk (blah). She glared at me when I asked if I could jog, go back to spin class & body pump class lol. So I'm walking about an hour a day. She also said NO swimming until I see her again next month. She doesn't want me to be submerged in water and have the skin open up again. Plus all the bacteria in pools/beaches - yuck! And NO underwire bras. I was surprised because I had heard so much about underwires on this site. Feeling great! 

• Tatina123
    edited June 2012

Michelle - I know how you are feeling with those pre-surgery nerves but everything will be fine......

Mom - So happy you are all healed up.  Oh, and I know how you feel about hearing different things than what your PS says.  Had my 2 week post op yesterday.  Dr. Easy on the Eyes said after a month wearing this post op bra I can go without a bra whenever I want -- no issues.  Hmmm...so much different than what I hear on this site.

DM and Ren - Hope you are well! 

MT and Curly - Hope you two are feeling better.

Special K, Chick and Fluff - How long was it before the breast implant areas stopped their swelling down process?  I'm being told three months and I'm already down a cup size, let's say, since surgery and that was two weeks ago.  Just wondering how much smaller I'm going to get.  

Nightie night,

T

• Lifeafter
    Lifeafter Member Posts: 298
    edited June 2012

I have a dr appointment for Monday afternoon.  I will have my ekg done then and get my lab slip to get bloodwork done.  My pre-op packet said I had to wear a bra 24/7 for three weeks after surgery.  I think that's just for women who are getting cosmetic augmentation?

Looking forward to this weekend.  I have nothing planned but a 'coming home' party for a girlfriend.  My daughter has free reign, well not complete free reign, to do what she wants for the next couple of weeks til surgery.  She's going to Santa Cruz this weekend to help her sister move into her summer house.  My first post grad weekend to myself!

Mom - Great to hear you are healing well!

Michelle

• lorime
    lorime Member Posts: 6
    edited June 2012

DM13. Tks so much for your reply. I'm just getting back on here after vacation etc. it does make sense what you are saying that I was filled so much during surgery. All along I had thought that was a good thing because less fillings. Now Im not so sure. I started improving some after fillings stopped but then got real busy then out of town. Car ride about killed me. Still get crazy swelling on my left side around TE which is the worst!

• lorime
    edited June 2012

DM13. Tks so much for your reply. I'm just getting back on here after vacation etc. it does make sense what you are saying that I was filled so much during surgery. All along I had thought that was a good thing because less fillings. Now Im not so sure. I started improving some after fillings stopped but then got real busy then out of town. Car ride about killed me. Still get crazy swelling on my left side around TE which is the worst!

• lorime
    edited June 2012

SpecialK-good question! My PS had said due to my size he wouldn't want to go straight to implant and said he'd fill expanders as much as possible which he did. And yes, we stopped at 800 BC it's the biggest. I'mnot familiar with the Sientra you mentioned. So frustrating. Seemed like a good thing getting the fillings over with. One month to go before exchange ugh!!! Tks for listening!

• lorime
    edited June 2012

SpecialK-good question! My PS had said due to my size he wouldn't want to go straight to implant and said he'd fill expanders as much as possible which he did. And yes, we stopped at 800 BC it's the biggest. I'mnot familiar with the Sientra you mentioned. So frustrating. Seemed like a good thing getting the fillings over with. One month to go before exchange ugh!!! Tks for listening!

• lorime
    edited June 2012

• specialk
    edited June 2012

tatina - once the initial swelling went down in the first month I did not notice any more.  I am at just over 3 months and they have stayed the same size (a D cup that looks like a C) - I just notice the step-off more. 

I am going to postpone my fat grafting because I am leaving this weekend for Washington DC to start participation in a clinical vaccine trial for Her2+.  I will be traveling once a month for the next 6 months, and would have had to fly 9 days after my surgery.

• Jennifferm
    Jennifferm Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2012

I am 3 and a half week post BMX with TEs filled to 200 at the time of surgery. I am experiencing all of the tightness and minor pain noted by many of you. My question/problem is that a few days ago I noticed on the left side, very low on the underside of the Breast at the natural fold line, the TE is displaced...meaning that I can feel the edges of the TE through my skin. It is only in that one area. Both breasts when I feel around the TE's it is smooth but it's like the corner of this TE punctured through the alloderm or muscle.....anyone experience anything like this. No more or less pain on that side. Thanks.

• 1Curlyfry
    1Curlyfry Member Posts: 45
    edited June 2012

Had a wonderful three days camping at Lake Tahoe! It is so beautiful. First time wearing a swimsuit in public with no breast. It was not nearly as bad as I expected. I'm not even sure why I worried about it.

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited June 2012

Good luck with the clinical trial, SpecialK! That is pretty exciting.

Good for you, 1Curlyfry! Glad you had fun.

Jennifferm,  sounds like you might want to put in a call to your PS' office tomorrow just to be sure everything is okay. 

Had follow-ups with my BS & RO this past week & I now only have to see them each once a year. BS was pretty happy for 1 year out of treatment, but said he'll be a lot happier at the 5-year mark.

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited June 2012

Tatina,

My swelling was pretty similar to specialk. Some swelling reduction, some fat absorption, but they have been pretty much the same after a month.

Special k good luck. Hope you get the real stuff!

• 2FriedEggs
    2FriedEggs Member Posts: 324
    edited June 2012

Wow SpecialK The trial sounds interesting and gives you an opportunity to escape our heat and the rains a bit. Hope you can enjoy getting away and that it's not too rigorous. By the way I did buy a couple lotto but I didn't fair very well in the lotto lower percentiles.

Jenniferm, let us know how that turns out with the TE. Does it look different to you from a skin standpoint? Hope it's just another one of the weird feelings you can get when you feel these things. I thought I had something similar, but the ps said it was fine, I was just feeling the edges inside from the outside .

• Jennifferm
    Jennifferm Member Posts: 2
    edited June 2012

As a follow up to others that may experience a bulge feeling in their TEs. I just came back from a visit with my PS and it is the fold in the underinflated TE that is causing it. They said with my first fill it might unfold and the bulge will disappear, or it might take a couple of fills. Bottom line, it is a common occurrence and everything looks good. Thanks for the input.

• chickadee521
    chickadee521 Member Posts: 423
    edited June 2012

Hi Guys.  I have been on vacation and my computer was not letting me use the free wifi.

Ren..when I said 200% better I meant then the original boobs.  For me the fg helped smooth out the transition and I don't feel that I need any more help in that area, hence no more fg.

• specialk
    edited June 2012

Hi all - back from Washington DC.  Had a great trip (although it did rain!) got to catch up with old friends and everything went smoothly.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited June 2012

Welcome back SpecialK. Glad it went well