Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• dunesleeper
    dunesleeper Member Posts: 1,305
    edited June 2012

DM and Michelle I sent you girls friend requests.

Charlene

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited June 2012

Yvette, your PS may be able to excise the skin that isn't healing if there is sufficient circulation. I have dealt with a spot that would not heal even though I have latissimus flaps. It is healed now & we won't reopen that part of the incision.

Well I am excited for you, BCAvenger! 

Thanks so much, MondaysChild. I'm in Pasco in the Trinity area. I am thrilled that we will be giving it another shot with a silicone implant. I think that's my best chance for a well-matched rack.  

• roadwarrior28
    roadwarrior28 Member Posts: 161
    edited June 2012

Me again. Getting very tired of changing dressings and at this point I'd rather have the drain back! I've been "leaking" for a week now - sometimes it stops (yesterday there was no drainage) and then it starts up again (like this morning). It's so hard to put the gauze on right to contain it, it always winds up sneaking out a corner.

I wrote before about the ridge I have on the bottom and my PS said I'm feeling the edge of the expander and that the redness there is due to irritation and skin being stretched out. Some days I'm totally fine and other days I just have this intence pinching pain and it usually is worse in the mornings and evenings.

My PS said not to compress the area and even said I can go without a bra, but I've been reading more and more about using ace bandages or wearing sports bras to get the body to absorb the fluid. Does anyone have experience with this? 

• chickadee521
    chickadee521 Member Posts: 423
    edited June 2012

Roadwarrior-I wore a sports bra 24/7.  But my PS said to do whatever made we feel comfortable.

Everyone-what are your thoughts on me trying to ski?  I had jsut learned to ski 2 summers ago, obviously took last summer off, but wanted to try again this summer.  Thoughts??? 

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited June 2012

Ladies - need your opinions!!!

I've had no problems with my TEs so far, besides the fact that they're too freakin' BIG! (And they're starting to really hurt at night when I sleep....)

I had the amazon-sized ones filled to 620ccs in March, and could have been done with exchange already, but I decided to do a drastic weight loss program first.

So far, I'm down 44 pounds with 15 more to go. The implants I get will be much smaller than the TEs I'm currently hefting around.

I'll go from 16cm wide TEs to approximately 14cm wide implants, with either 700 or 750ccs.

In your experience, does that sound like the PS will have to do a lot of pocket work?

Already talked to whippetmom about sizing and I'm comfortable with what we have planned. Just concerned about all the PS will have to do to make the permanent squishes (smooth round high profile saline) fit in there snugly.

Thanks!

• DLL66
    edited June 2012

Blessings, congrats on the weight loss!

I'm confused though. Are your TEs still @ 620 CCs? Whippetmom is the expert & she'd be able to tell you if pocket work will be needed. 2 cm difference doesn't sound like a lot to me, so hopefully not.

• MondaysChild
    MondaysChild Member Posts: 161
    edited June 2012

A centimeter is .39 inches.  So two centimeters is .78 inches, or just over 3/4 inch each.  That is a fair amount of space.

• redninrah
    redninrah Member Posts: 366
    edited June 2012

Hi there

I had my one step expander implant in beginning of may, and along the incision line there are two scabs still there, they are getting smaller but really, this long......is this normal- how long does it take for scabs to fall off

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited June 2012

Redninrah: It can take a very long while for scabs to heal. Remember, interior work was done so it is not as simple as the skin just closing itself. Healing occurs from the inside out. If you still have scabs, then healing is still taking place. Do you have any moisture or seepage?

Blessings20: Yes, congrats on the weight loss! Any secrets you'd like to share? Not sure about the pocket work, PS's don't always know until they get right in there how much there is (or isn't) to do. Good luck! 

Chickadee: I take it you mean waterski right? Do you feel like you have 100% of your strength back? If you feel strong and are able to ride a bike and lift weights and swim, I'd say yes. If you can't do some things you used to do quite yet, I'd hold off and build up more strngth and try in August. JMHO!

Roadwarrior28: I have a lot of experience with leakage. My advice is to but nonallergic paper tape and tape the gauze in place. I also discovered if I folded the gauze in half and taped it to my incision line, I got double the protection. When I was leaking a lot, I would fold TWO gauze pads in half so I didn't have to worry about leaking through. The tape also helps prevent "accidents."

Will be thinking of you this week with your upcoming surgery, BCAvenger!  

• roadwarrior28
    edited June 2012

Thanks Rennasus! Regular gauze doesn't even do it for me, it soaks right through. I got these special gauze pads that are sort of like sanitary napkins and soak proof on one side - so they seem to be holding up.

• Rennasus
    edited June 2012
    Roadwarrior: I discovered those special pads towards the end of my leakage days. Very handy. But still had to change them many times throughout the day. I had a system of layering a variety of pads together, and then taping them to myself, then covering the whole she-bang with a washcloth if I was going to be out for a while and unable to change the dressing. I wore a non-underwire padded bra that hooked in front by Danskin that was too big in the cups but gave me the room I needed for the gauze and held its shape under clothes so I looked relatively "normal." When do you see your PS again?
  • roadwarrior28
    edited June 2012

He said to come back in 2 weeks. He was ready to take the TE out but it started getting better - used to be beet red - so he agreed to give it more time. Especially since there's no infection either.

I actually started lightly wrapping my chest with an ace bandage over the sports bra. It feels more comfortable, there's no pain and I can move around more freely. Less leakage too... 

• Rennasus
    edited June 2012

Roadwarrior: Hopefully you will see some decrease in fluid in the next two weeks! I wore a surgical vest most of the time and the compression helped. An ace bandage would provide similar constriction. I also restricted my activity on the affected side. More activity = more drainage. I did not lift or reach with my right arm Good luck, let us know what happens!

• Blessings2011
    edited July 2012

Thanks,  DLL66! Yes, my TEs are still at 620ccs. I'm the one who has lost ccs (LOL)

MondaysChild - yeah, it looks pretty big on my metric ruler.....as far as gaps go, I mean....

Rennasus - I've been on Optifast since March 22nd. It's a HUGE commitment in terms of discipline, time, and money, but it's the only thing that has worked for me. It's through Kaiser (although open to the public) and is tightly monitored with lab work and physician's exams. I went into it with my MO's full approval. Actually, she was THRILLED that I was entering the program!!!

~~~~~~~~~

I think that I didn't ask my question in the right way.

I know what size my implants will be, and there aren't any that measure up to the width of my TEs. Whippetmom and I have had several conversations about what permanent squishies would be appropriate. (God bless her!)

I know I will need some pocket work; most likely a lateral capsulorrhaphy.

I was just wondering if anyone had gone through this, and had any suggestions or thoughts on the procedure.

• MondaysChild
    MondaysChild Member Posts: 161
    edited July 2012

Blessings,

I had lateral capsulorrhaphy to both sides. What suggestions or thoughts would you like?

My progress and story are on the picture forum, "Exchanged to 400cc HP-new pics 32 weeks po 6/23/12".  I use my real name there but you can find it by the title.

• Bogie
    Bogie Member Posts: 79
    edited July 2012

my tissue expanders failed miserably on both sides, I'm done. considering taking abdominal tissue transplant either tram or diep, anyone gone that rout?

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited July 2012

Oh Bogie, I'm sorry, too bad. I am hoping you find something that works, I am still stuck halfway.

• chickadee521
    edited July 2012

Ren...I did mean water ski...and I tried it and got up for about 50 feet. Enough to get a picture. I tried 2 more times then stopped. Just hapy I can still do it!

• dunesleeper
    edited July 2012

I have no information to offer you Bogie, but I am sorry that your TEs did not work out.

• Blessings2011
    edited July 2012

Sorry, Bogie...big honkin' hugs to you....

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 26
    edited July 2012

I have come to realize that breast reconstruction no matter which type we choose is one big crap shoot.  None of us including doctors know what they are doing and after all these 40 to 50 years of using tissue expanders they will never be perfected.  We as patients should not have to depend on members here for info such as sizing, bras, types of implants, etc.  Instead, our plastic surgeons should have all the answers we seek.  But they are too concerned about covering their butts to avoid malpractice suits.  I for one am sick and tired of the ignorance of our medical professionals because they don't want to be held responsible.  It amazes me how this experience of reconstruction has disappointed and failed more women than not.  Don't for one minute believe that it's going to be uncomplicated.  These surgeons do not keep a close enough eye on problems such as infection until it's too late and TEs need to be removed and the process begins again.  Isn't it strange that we have to instruct one another on how to dress our wounds properly?  That is just wrong. 

• Bogie
    Bogie Member Posts: 79
    edited July 2012

Lisa I agree. After sitting here and reading all these complications I realize it's not just me. So many issues with the TE and those are only temporary. The more I read the more I realize things I've done wrong, how I trusted my surgeon to much and for too long. Now I'm seeing a top surgeon in the Midwest who specializes in this, boy did he wake me up to another view.

I now know after ruptured TE, twice capsular contracture and slow healing wound it wasn't so much me as I was going to the wrong guy. I was going in circles and realized this is my body and enough is enough!

Do your homework and get second opinions from a top medical center like Mayo or Nola or top university hospital. Ive paid the price and getting off the roller coaster of patience and going along with someone who was clueless.

• delphi
    delphi Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2012

I have now switched from the discussion boards talking about the worries and issues of starting tamoxifen to now worrying about my tissue expander. I had a right mastectomy on Nov 1, 2011 with immediate insertion of a tissue expander. I had 8 cycles of chemotherapy followed by 6 weeks of radiation and this week spent the weekend in the Hospital being dosed with IV antibiotics, namely vancomycin and one other, Levaquen? for an infection. I will be on antibiotics for two weeks. Alot of these stories seem to talk about TE being removed after an infection, maybe that is not so far down the road as this. Has anyone had a similar experience? It is still quite sore and swollen. I sometimes feel I am on a fast moving train I can't get off, I just feel I am getting back to myself and I get slammed with something else. I did not have a nipple saving procedure as my tumor was too large and too close to the nipple.

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465
    edited July 2012

Holla out to the FL girls, hope you all survived Storm Debby and now the heat wave but lots of us are in the heat wave right? Hope you MD girls got your power back on,heard that Baltimore got the "works".

Speedy recovery to all of you that have TE problems. I only had terrible pains and weird red lines that turned out to be nothing. I get these @##$@# things out and replaced with implants on Aug 2nd. Good luck everyone and thanks so much for your advice on this thread, I could not have gotten thru this without you and I really mean that because I work too late to go to the support groups in town. One lady does call me regularly since I cant go but sometimes she wants me to be like her too much and the girls on here respect our differences and it means the world to me.

• dunesleeper
    edited July 2012

I think I have a really great PS. His name is Soueid. This is, of course, Baltimore. Anyway, so far, so good, except for the normal bothersomeness of TE's. Thursday I go for what is supposed to be my last fill, and then possibly the exchange will take place in August. I totally trust this guy with my boobs. LOL Seriously. He appears to really enjoy his work. That first time I saw him, when he took my breasts in his hands and felt them and looked at them and said, oh yes, I can work with these, I could have died of embarassment. However, I think he just really enjoys his work, and those who enjoy their work tend to do good work. LMFAO! Seriously, though, if you are in the Baltimore area, I highly recommend Dr. Soueid.

• Lifeafter
    Lifeafter Member Posts: 298
    edited July 2012

Hello ladies,

To all the FL and East Coasters dealing with weather and power outages, I hope you all are safe and as comfy as possible!

Six hours from now, I'm checking in at the hospital. I have NO idea what to expect but my house is in order. I have cooked and prepped food for me and my daughter. So it's easy for her to warm up for us. I took my bed apart so it'll be easy to get in and out. I have a very high bed.

Here's to tomorrow!

Michelle

• DLL66
    edited July 2012

Good luck, BCAvenger! 

• ginger48
    ginger48 Member Posts: 1,437
    edited July 2012

Good luck BC Avenger!

• chickadee521