Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• roadwarrior28
    roadwarrior28 Member Posts: 161
    edited July 2012

Orange73 - I feel zero pain right now just soreness at the drain site. And I'm not on pain killers. Hope I don't feel like someone beat me up tomorrow!

• Orange73
    Orange73 Member Posts: 2,154
    edited July 2012

I hope not Hang in there.... Also when I had to change the guaze I did it really fast so I didnt look at it. I did not take any pain killers you will feel achy. My doc  said to sponge it not shower.

• roadwarrior28
    edited July 2012

Mine said I can shower next day so today

• Orange73
    edited July 2012

hm I wish I could. Glad I cant cause like you dont want to look at it. Where is your drain?

• roadwarrior28
    edited July 2012

It's on the side like 2 inches down from my armpit

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited July 2012

Weird, all PS seem to have different ideas about showers with drains. My PS won't let you shower till the drains out. And I had the last two drains in for over three weeks. Just curious.

• roadwarrior28
    edited July 2012

Oh wow can't imagine not showering all that time! My PS actually said I SHOULD shower several times a day and wash around the drain

• Orange73
    edited July 2012

hm well my drains in the middle of my no boob. Well I have someone wash my hair etc.. When my real drains were in my PS said to shower but I was in so much pain and could not grasp how you shower with drains in that are coming coming out of your body. It was too much for me. This is only my 5th week and I had nodes out. I cant go to Psychical therapy because of this. My arms cant go over my head still. But good thing u can shower.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited July 2012

Well, I got really, really good at sponge baths! LOL

• roadwarrior28
    edited July 2012

Mine have always been on the side. I had my husband shower me for a few days and I think by the end of first week I tried on my own. I bought a mastectomy belt and I uses it in thd shower and pinned the drains to it. That way my hands were free

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited July 2012

Ladies... I tried to add in all the newbies' TE removal surgeries into our running surgery list above; if I left you out please message me or post the info here and I'll add you in. (So many new TE problems, hard to keep track.) Green Momkey let me know when your next surgery is scheduled.

Hang in there everyone, go slow with the fills, do not take a bath if you have unhealed wounds, be gentle with yourself physically and emotionally, and ask your docs to culture your tissue/fluid and let it grow in that petri dish for a week. Sometimes it takes a long time for infection to show itself. ***hugs***

Has anyone heard from BCavenger since her surgery??? 

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited July 2012

ren - I have texted with her (BCAvenger) - she is doing OK but painful to sit up - that is why she has not been posting.

• Tatina123
    Tatina123 Member Posts: 312
    edited July 2012

Thanks for the update on BCAvenger, SpecialK. She's been on my mind....

To the newbies in our forum, like Renn said, please be gentle with yourselves. I'm so sorry you are going through this. It's a rough road to be on but it gets better.....

T

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited July 2012

Greenmpnkey...I am a stomache sleeper also. That might have been one of the hardest things of all. I had a really difficult time sleeping on my back through the surgeries.

Once things settled down, I had all these small microbead pillows. By stuffing them in some key locations, I slept pretty easily on my side. Even had a system for my stomache sleeping, but I usually only stayed that way for a short time.

Now that I have the implants, I do sleep on my stomache, but I am not big. I also wedge a squishy pillow between my chin and foob area, and that gives just a little lift, enough that it feels like the old days. I start out on my stomache almost every night.

• blondedoris
    blondedoris Member Posts: 57
    edited July 2012

Heyas

I had the TEs placed on the 20th june with a 275cc fill on the table, and then I had another 150cc fill on Friday. Am glad I found this thread as the PS thought I was being dramatic when I told him the pain was terrible and insisted he gave me more painkillers; luckily I had some tramadol left over from the lumpectomy as well to take. I had radiotherapy in 2010 on the left side and the burning/crushing sensation (to me) was extreme.

So am now sleeping in a recliner and taking painkillers every 6 hours. It's not so bad now, but it can be jarring if I move too quickly after I've been sitting for a while. The next fill is meant to be on Friday, and they want to do another 130cc (TEs are 550ccs) but will ask for a 60cc fill instead. He might think I'm being a wuss but he's not the one feeling it!

hugs & healing to all - it's good to read that the exchange is easier than the fills!

xx 

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited July 2012

Blondedoris: A 125cc fill sounds excessive! It is no wonder you are in pain! Please take your time. Remember that YOU call the shots. Don't worry about what your PS thinks. All that matters is how YOU feel. If it hurts when they start to fill, tell them to stop. Slow and steady wins this race! Ladies, anyone want to chime in?

Fluff: I'm a side sleeper and sleeping on my back for months was not fun. I, too, used strategically placed pillows to help me sleep more comfortably.

SpecialK: thanks for update onBCavenger. BCavenger, hope you feel better soon, we miss you! 

• specialk
    edited July 2012

blondedoris - going from surgery to max capacity in two fills - that is ridiculous!  Especially considering your surgery was 18 days ago and you are dealing with a radiated breast!  OMG!  Never forget who is driving this train - YOU!  Your PS should only fill you as much as is comfortable for YOU, not him!  I don't know if you read my July 7th post - I truly believe this.  Slow and steady wins the race!

• NanG
    NanG Member Posts: 25
    edited July 2012

anyone have a TE that turned?

• momof3infla
    momof3infla Member Posts: 333
    edited July 2012

Going for 6 week post op exchange appt with PS tomorrow. Don't really know what to expect. For the most part I'm happy with them. The right still sits just a bit higher than the left, and after all the scar tissue she took out on the left side, I also have some rippling. I don't know what's going to happen at the appt, but I do expect the "nip" discussion. Maybe she can do the nips and a slight lift on leftie, all will be well?  Maybe she will also OK me for an underwire bra = I hope so! Will update after I see her. Hope everyone is having a great summer!

• Bonseye
    Bonseye Member Posts: 124
    edited July 2012

I had my BMX 10/4/11 and had to have a TE removed on 11/7/11 due to Staph infection.  I had a PICC line and was on IV antibiotics for 5 weeks......started chemo and was on chemo for 5 months.  I was without a TE for 6 months and hated it but it was something I had to put up with.  Due to the fact I was having Radiation I couldn't get another TE.  My PS felt that the best chance of my reconstruction "surviving" was to use my own tissue.  I had a choice of either a TRAM or Lat Flap.  Neither was a choice I chose originally but I just had to make a decision and be brave.  This brave thing is getting old for sure.  I had my left TE exchanged to a Gummi and a TRAM flap for the replacement of the Right TE.  The reconstruction is nothing to take lightly.  I have to say my PS is amazing.  I did so well.  It is not an easy surgery but he is quite an artist and I not only match but my TRAM side is doing really well getting through Radiation.  I have had 21/28 treatments and my skin is red...I have some swelling but the results are remarkable!  I have been swimming and for the first time in 9 months am feeling like Me again!  Some how we all dig deep for the courage to get through this and having you all has been such a blessing!  I truly didn't want a TRAM surgery and dreaded it for months and now two months post op am so happy with the results and feeling good.  Just have to finish my radiation and from there.......we shall see.  Best to you all!

• specialk
    edited July 2012

bonseye - so happy for you to have come out the other side and doing well!

momof3 - I have rippling too - pretty common when it is a pec muscle and some skin over an implant.  Are you considering fat grafting?

nanG - has yours turned?  Mine shifted positions as it was filled - the fill port was in different places as more saline was added.

• chickadee521
    chickadee521 Member Posts: 423
    edited July 2012

Guys thinking about fat grafting...it took away my rippling. That is why I say it was worth it but I won't do it again :)

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Member Posts: 26
    edited July 2012

My question is........Do you think younger women have higher expections when it comes to final results?  I am 63 years young and take pride in my looks, but I'm not that worried about wearing bikinis or low-cut clothes.  For the same reason, I refused chemo or other treatments because I am older and wiser and, to be honest, I think these treatments do more harm than good.   

• NanG
    NanG Member Posts: 25
    edited July 2012

Spec....I don't know if it has but lately the right side has been painful. PS said that side would hurt bc it's higher but it seems to me that it is a little off or wonky. Are they usually even, or should I say....are they supposed to be even and the same on either side or does it depend on your body? I have a weird feeling in them where it feels Like I can press down on them and they move up n down like theyre hollow or something. Does that sound normal?

• specialk
    edited July 2012

NanG - my TEs were never even, especially because the left was was in, then out, then in, then out for 7 months, then back in, lol!  I could always find hollow spots (I assumed they were air pockets) and I had pain in different places at different times.  I was truly amazed that my PS was able to create such a great result at exchange - I have symmetry and he was able to revise the left side, remove a bunch of scar tissue and bring my spared nips back to a symmetrical position.  Where are you on fills?  If you have not maxed out the capacity of the TE that might account for the movement you are feeling.

• Tatina123
    Tatina123 Member Posts: 312
    edited July 2012

Momof3 - Did you have FG?

Nan - my TEs were never even. Had that TE issue which was a challenge but all worked out great after the exchange.

No rippling on this end....the FG and acellular dermal matrix helped with this. I am nearing 6 weeks post op exchange and am very happy with my results considering I had skin loss on one side with the TE infection. PS really evened things out nicely.

Take care,

C

• roadwarrior28
    edited July 2012

Lisa96 - I'm 28 and I know I have high expectations. I've always been flat so going bigger and actually being able to wear bikinis is my silver lining in this whole sucky situation. I'll have to deal with the result for a long time sink hoping for good if not great results at the end of the day.

• dunesleeper
    dunesleeper Member Posts: 1,305
    edited July 2012

NanG, mine turned. I didn't know until I went for my last fill. The port had moved. Then when he started filling he said it was filling in the wrong place because of it being turned. So he did not do a complete fill, said no sense making me more uncomfortable. I'll get my exchange in August or September. I don't know what I did to make it turn.

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited July 2012

I am 57 and have told my PS that I want to be the number one picture on his recon site. My thought is that is I am going through all this, I don't want something that is just ok. I expect them to look excellent and we are almost there. Just a little more tweaking.

• momof3infla
    momof3infla Member Posts: 333
    edited July 2012

I did not have fat grafting. I don't really have anywhere to take it from. Are there other options? I guess I'll find out all about it today:) I'm with you, Fluff. We've come this far, I want them to be spectacular! I would do one more tweak to get them there.