Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465
    edited July 2012

blondoris, i totally understand I went to my GP and got a bottle of Tylenol/codeine #3 because the fills were unbearable. The PS was not sympathetic but agreed to give me general anesthetic for the implant surgery. (At least....)I slept in my recliner until that part was almost finished and now I am fine and ready for my exchange on Aug 2nd.

Unfortunately, I have developed a low grade fever and peeling lips this past week so dunno whats going on? I am going to the dentist in the morng to be sure not dental related and then the derm in the afternoon to see about the peeling lip situation.

Did anyone start this way with a TE infection?

• roadwarrior28
    roadwarrior28 Member Posts: 161
    edited July 2012

Layla I hope everything is OK. I feel like I read about those 2 symptoms somewhere but can't remember - I believe it said dehydration can cause both?

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited July 2012

layla - was there a question about general anesthetic for your exchange?

• blondedoris
    blondedoris Member Posts: 57
    edited July 2012

Layla - they wanted to do your exchange with a local anesthetic and not a general?? Sheesh, I thought my PS was being insensitive!

Strangely enough, I needed tramadol to get over the pain for 3 days after the fill then it eased off and it's ok with paracetamol now. But there's no way he's doing another fill without me getting a repeat script in my mitts first.

Might be worth checking with your GP if you think you have an infection (better to check than not). Can't believe there was a question about having a general anaesthetic for the exchange surgery! That's mad!

• MondaysChild
    MondaysChild Member Posts: 161
    edited July 2012

Most of us do not have general anesthesia with exchange surgery and instead have some level of IV sedation.  The main difference between general anesthesia and IV sedation anesthesia is that you can breath on your own with the latter, but under general the anesthesiologist controls your breathing. Local anesthesia will also be administered to the surgical area, normally marcaine, in order to obtain total analgesia.

As a patient, you will not know the difference except that recover from general is more difficult, in addition to it being more risky than the deep sedation. Most people who think they had general actually had IV sedation. The term general anesthesia is loosely and oftten incorrectly used.  The whole prep process while the patient is aware seems the same for both.  They sense "going to sleep" and "waking up".  So lots actually got IV sedation and they, and their health care team, referred to it as general, probably because of the level of non-awareness.

• giggley
    giggley Member Posts: 6
    edited July 2012

Special K, my PS didn't do the immediate implant, went with the TE because of how tight the muscle was and he wanted it to stretch and form the pocket with Alloderm before the final implant.  At least, that's what his nurse says.  LOL he isn't the most talkative, but as long as he is a good doctor I guess I can't complain.  I had been a DD before surgery and only want a B or C cup coming out of it.  My previous size did dictate how large of a TE he used. 

• roadwarrior28
    edited July 2012

Giggley my PS is also super quite I get the impression he's a bit socially awkward. Otherwise he's a great doc and will answer all my questions I just have to initiate them

• giggley
    giggley Member Posts: 6
    edited July 2012

Roadwarrior, my PS looks like he's 10 years old but is tall and thin.  I do ask him questions, and his reply is either "I don't know", or he shrugs his shoulders, or I get a "mmm hmmm".  For the longest time I wondered if he spoke English well enough to understand me, but he isn't foreign and can speak English perfectly.  I always end the visit with a translation from his nurse, who is very informative and fills me in on his mumbling.  The most I've ever heard him say was when my incision was necrotic, he accused me of smoking, which I had quit.  He just isn't realizing my diabetes may be partially to blame for this.  My BC surgeon seems to think so.  I'm just getting a case of the nerves, worrying that the exchange and reduction will be this complicated to heal from.  Thanks for letting me know about your PS!

• specialk
    edited July 2012

giggley - I had a lot of necrosis due to a skin/nipple sparing and some bad luck, resulted in three skin excision surgeries and removal of the TE within a 6 week period.  Exchange surgery was no problem.  Hopefully will be the same for you!

mondayschild - thank for the info on anesthesia!

• Binc
    Binc Member Posts: 71
    edited July 2012

I just got back from my PS appointment and my surgery to remove the right tissue expander is set for July 17th. He said he is going to leave part of the surgical wound open to allow the infection to heal. The incision will close on its own as it heals. There will be no drain. Instead the incision will be packed with dressing but I will need to change it frequently. Has anyone ever had this?

• roadwarrior28
    edited July 2012

Interesting - not sure if I'd rather have that or a drain. I had mine removed on Friday and was all closed up with a drain, which came out today - never drained more than 15ml

• Binc
    edited July 2012

I'm not sure either! It's so strange how each surgeon has their own method of doing things. I would think leaving part of the incision open would leave me susceptible to more infections, but they assure me that's not the case.

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited July 2012
    MondaysChild - thanks for that great explanation of anesthesia! I will be asking those questions when I see my PS next week to discuss my exchange surgery.
  • momof3infla
    momof3infla Member Posts: 333
    edited July 2012

Special K - it was my PS who showed me how to kind of firmly push up on the bottom of righty and let it fall down. She said to keep doing that many times everyday and it should drop into place to match the left side. And I would love to go to Oldsmar. Dr. Buck said that she personally went there, and that if she were to have the nip tats done, that's exactly where she'd go. I guess the owner teaches permanent makeup and does nip tats all the time. I'll call over to her office and get his name and will PM it to you:)

• Tatina123
    Tatina123 Member Posts: 312
    edited July 2012

Binc- After my left TE removal, I had two drains. Very interesting as to how your PS wants to do this.....

Overall, how are you feeling? I know how hard this is....so many of us here do....

T

• specialk
    edited July 2012

momof3 - my PS had me pushing the implants from the noon, 3, 6 and 9 positions of the clock on each breast and hold firmly for 20 seconds in each direction - like seriously pushing.  He said to do it when I am stuck in traffic - lol!  I usually did it several times per day - I have slacked off now.  Mine did not need to drop - he wanted me to do it to keep from forming capsular contracture and keep them soft.  I was picturing you in the VS dressing with the salesgirl telling you how to massage, ha!

• Binc
    edited July 2012

Tatina - thanks for asking. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't depressed about the whole thing. It will be a relief, physically, to get this TE out. By the time I have surgery, it will be 2 monhs that I've been dealing with the infection and it has to stay out for 4 months. Hopefully things will heal well and I'll have better luck next time. If not, I don't think I have it in me to do this a 3rd time :-(

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited July 2012

Binc, I don't remember who it was, but someone just had that too. Not sure which thread it was on, but she had the open wound and dressing to change. If I remember I will post it. Maybe someone else will remember who that was. But I have seen it posted, so your PS isn't nuts!

• Binc
    edited July 2012

Thanks Moonflwr - I'd appreciate that!

• lisamarie68
    lisamarie68 Member Posts: 971
    edited July 2012

Hi ladies , sorry to bug ya all again , my exchange surgery is tomorrow at 7 am , I am very anxious as I will be alone . does anyone know if they can take blood and put an IV in ur arm after BMX .. I know they cant do BP in arms , but I was wondering about needles .. so scared ... ty for input .. Hugs 

• Tatina123
    Tatina123 Member Posts: 312
    edited July 2012

Binc - when that TE is out you will feel better and begin to heal. I went through such sadness when mine came out. On the second try, I was on high TE alert, and thankfully, all went well.

Lisa - I had my IV in my arm. My exchange was a breeze compared to the BMX. You are almost there!

We are here for you!

T

• loriio
    loriio Member Posts: 55
    edited July 2012

I am new here. Had my BMX and TE placement on 6/26. I think everything is ok, I'm just having a lot of pain around my rib cage. I'm guessing that's where they created the alloderm pocket. I also just feel a lot of stretching and pulling. Most of it is just discomfort put today is actually painful. I think it might be a result of over exertion. I have pain pills, but I hadn't been taking them the past couple of days. I took 2 hydrocodone earlier because my rib cage was bothering me so badly. I guess I'm just whinIng and needing to vent. I knew TEs were no walk in the park but I really expected to be feeling better after 2 weeks. I was filled with 100ccs at surgery and I had mh drains out this past Monday. I was a little disappointed at first that he is waiting 2 weeks for my first fill but now I'm kind of glad. It sounds like on my small frame, taking it slow might be a good thing. I am not going very big, so he expects it will only be a couple of months after we start until I get to the right size.

Sorry for the complaininng. Just having a hard time seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

Lori

• momof3infla
    momof3infla Member Posts: 333
    edited July 2012

Lisa - you can have IV in your arm - you'll be just fine, and we will all be thinking about you, sending good thoughts and prayers your way. Right when you wake up you'll feel immediate relief, and they will be soft, light & squishy! Try to relax tonight if you can, I know it's hard. You will rock this!! You are almost there, girl!

• chickadee521
    chickadee521 Member Posts: 423
    edited July 2012

Hey Lisa I still get ivs in my arm. I just have them use the arm I had the least lymphnodes removed. Just to be safe.

• rosetx
    rosetx Member Posts: 70
    edited July 2012

Loriio - I was having a lot of pain around the ribcage as well.  I don't know if you're PS is having you wear a sports bra, but for me, getting a larger sized sports bra than I was wearing relieved some of the pain.  I had the same size cup to give the needed compression, but at least the band underneath didn't feel as though it was bruising me in the larger size.  In fact, I got one size up and then went back and got 2 sizes up.  It was somewhat better.

• lisamarie68
    edited July 2012

Oh thank you ladies so much , I guess I will see u on the sqishy side .. :) Hugs

• GreenMonkey
    GreenMonkey Member Posts: 291
    edited July 2012

Lisamarie.... I just got my exchange date... same as yours July 19th!!!  

I'm so excited ~  

• lisamarie68
    edited July 2012

Aww Green Monkey thats great but they decided to up mine , I go in at 7 am tomorrow and I am scared to death . I wont miss these painful hard uncomfortable TE's , I will be thinking of u . Hugs 

• tlew
    tlew Member Posts: 48
    edited July 2012

Can anyone tell me how the recovery is like after the exchange surgery? Is it anything like the recovery from masectomy surgery?

• MTnester
    MTnester Member Posts: 147
    edited July 2012

I miss you guys. My work days have become so hectic I don't have time to check up on all of you. Hugs to you lisamarie you will love your squishies! Maybe not immediately, but eventually.

I'm five weeks out from getting my second set of implants. I squeeze them up every time I go to the bathroom per my PS's instructions. I'm in no bra still to let them drop and round out. I'm so used to it now I kind of hope I never have to wear one again lol!

It was one year ago today that I got the call I needed a repeat mammogram. This is an emotional month for me. What a difference a year makes. For all of you struggling to cope, please remember it will get better.