Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited July 2012

LisaMarie: I changed your surgery date up to to refelct your xchange tomorrow. Best of luck, we will be thinking of you! I still get an IV in my arm also, but only my left arm due to node removal on right.

Greenmonkey and Binc, I added both of you to the surgery board.

tina_919: I have not yet had my exchange, but everyone says it is nothing like recovering from the mastectomy.

Ladies, after 17 long months (yes, you read that correctly, seventeen months!), I had my first fill yesterday! I got 50ccs in each side so now I have 400ccs in lefty and 250ccs in righty. But that is all we will do. PS is worried about pushing it with my skin integrity issues on my right side. But he wanted me to have one fill. He even let me do the fill myself!!! AND I have a surgery date to add to the list! Sept. 5 is my exchange date... Never thought I'd see the day! All the ladies out there having TE trouble, slow and steady is the way to go. I have had my left TE in for 17 months, my right TE in for 7 months. I am done cooking! Anyone know if you can swim the day after a fill? I haven't gone in the pool yet, am afraid!

• Binc
    Binc Member Posts: 71
    edited July 2012

Thanks for adding me to the list, Rennasus, and for starting this thread to begin with. Congratulations on your fill and exchange date!!

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited July 2012

Yay, Renn!! Congrats on the fill & on your upcoming exchange!

Good luck, lisamarie! 

• Rennasus
    edited July 2012

Thanks ladies!

Let us know how it goes, Lisamaire!

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited July 2012

ren - I would stay out of the pool because technically you have a needle hole from the fill, unless you keep your chest kind of out of the pool - don't do anything at this point that could cause a problem!  Can't believe you did your own fill, lol! 

tina - exchange surgery was a piece of cake for me.  I was instantly more comfortable - which is weird because usually you are less comfortable after surgery! 

• roadwarrior28
    roadwarrior28 Member Posts: 161
    edited July 2012

I just had a new thought regarding showering with drains/incisions - can toweling off cause infection? I reuse my towels for at least a few days and didn't even think about it before. I'm now using a clean bandage to dry the area around the drain.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited July 2012

You can also keep a roll of paper towels handy and use those for drying off that area until it is healed.

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited July 2012

roadwarrior - I couldn't shower with drains in, so that wasn't an issue, but after surgery I was SO obsessed about germs, I never let anything touch my skin that wasn't freshly laundered.

(The washing machine was always going back then!)

I used fresh towels, fresh washcloths, clean bras, clean gowns. If I used or wore something once, it went in the laundry. Never thought about paper towels!

I washed my hands constantly and used hand sanitizer.

When we emptied my drains, DH wore surgical gloves and used alcohol wipes.

No one touched my incisions except for the PS. I would pat them dry, but that was it.

I know I was really OCD about germs in the beginning, but I'm glad I was.

• Tatina123
    Tatina123 Member Posts: 312
    edited July 2012

Renn -- I am so HAPPY for you!!!!!

Hugs,

T

• Blessings2011
    Blessings2011 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited July 2012

Rennasus - Whoa - 17 months!!! And I was feeling whiney because mine will have been in for only 9 months!!! Undecided

So glad you are back on Fills Road....and that you have an actual exchange date already - wooHOO!

Praying for uncomplicated fills, a perfect exchange procedure, and great healing for you!!!

Gentle hugs to you....

• momof3infla
    momof3infla Member Posts: 333
    edited July 2012

Blessings, I was the same way! I had my own pink towels that nobody was allowed to touch lol. Bright pink, pepto pink! I had a giant jug of hand sanitizer on the counter, and anyone who came in the house was to use it. I bought a big box of alcohol swabs for each time I had to strip the drains. I even bought foaming soap dispensers that had Hibiclens antimicrobial wash in it. Over the top, maybe, but I'm here with implants after many complications.

• roadwarrior28
    edited July 2012

What about pets and bacteria? I locked my bedroom door for a long time after BMX - we have 2 cats and a dog - but hair still flies everywhere, etc.

• momof3infla
    momof3infla Member Posts: 333
    edited July 2012

And Renn, so excited that you got your surgery date! I'm curious to see if you had much scar tissue once the exchange is done. Mine was crazy out of control, and was the root of many of my problems. You have such an amazing attitude, I love it.

• Lifeafter
    Lifeafter Member Posts: 298
    edited July 2012

Hi everyone!

It's been a relatively good week.  Surgery went very well. It was about 4 1/2 hours.  I woke up with NO drains! I was groggy from anesthesia when I came too but I immediately peeped under my sheet and saw I had a hump on the left side and no drains! I started crying and the nurses were all saying it was the anesthesia, lol...no it wasn't! I was SO happy!!! I was in a lot of pain the first couple of days. It was almost BMX type pain, at least on the right side. I went back for post-op last Thursday and my wrap was taken off. I saw my foob for the first time. I must admit I was disappointed. It wasn't as big as I thought it would be, quite small actually. I have 800ccs in. But I know things change over time with swelling and dropping and all that. So we'll wait and see.  I know it takes time. I started feeling better quickly! My daughter took my up the outlets on Friday, lol! I had to get out of the house! She had something to exchange and I insisted we go then and now. I just walked for a little bit but felt fine. Saturday I was feeling almost normal. I went out to dinner and the movies. Sunday I went to the gym, lol...ok probably shouldn't have done that. I was on the recumbent bike. My legs work fine and they didn't want to go slow. Sooooo, I went faster than I should have. Monday I went to the gym again and just did the treadmill.  I just did a light stroll for 30 minutes. I went for my first fill today and feel great. I'm off to the state fair in a little bit. Weeee!

So this is how the surgery went... Dr said the TES were not under my pecs. In fact the left had fallen from the pocket which is why it was so low and off to the side. The right side had extensive scar tissue.  She also did a scar revision on the right. It looks good, very thin. She did lipo along the sides and pulled my skin in. It used to be all puckered. My scars on both sides now are all along my flanks to almost the middle of my chest. Yuck but they are thin. All the nurses in the OR could not say enough about my new doctor. I'm so happy to have her. I mean how lucky am I not to have drains with all the work she did? I can't believe it!!!  I've been urged by the nurses to talk to an attorney.  I think I'm going too. I know drs don't really talk about other drs. It doesn't hurt to talk to one.

Today I feel totally normal except I still can't drive (I have a stick), my daughter drives me around. I can't pick my doggy up or anything heavy and have limited arm movement.  But other than that, physically, I feel like I could run a marathon. I tried doing a crunch today.  Yeah...can't do that yet.  That will be some time before I can do that. Dr says I can start doing exercise that gets my heart rate up in a few days. Yah!!!

All in all it's been pretty good recovery. I get tired easily. Getting out the laptop has been a chore. I tried to come in here via my iphone but it crashes!  Grrrrr...it's 3 years old.  I need a new one so bad but I'm holding out for the new release! Hope my phone lasts that long! lol

I haven't caught up on all the posts but I did see earlier someone mentioned something about exercise and I would be proud! hahaha Way to go, keep it up! I'll catch up on posts here over the weekend.

I hope everyone is doing well!

Michelle

• lisamarie68
    lisamarie68 Member Posts: 971
    edited July 2012

Ty Renn ... and thank you all my new friends , I am now home from my surgery .. I feel friggin amazing , Good riddens to those nasty TE's , I now have soft squishy Foobs ... :) as u all said to me it was instant relief . I am no longer tight or in pain ... thank u thank u thank u ....I worked all night and straight to surgery this morn so I am feeling a wee bit tired now .. I am gonna take a well deserved nap :) oh yeah and I was able to have blood draws and Bp in my left arm only but grateful.. again ty ladies as surgery so far was a sucess and I didnt need drains again woot woot .. also  my left side (non cancer side ) still appears bigger than right (cancer  side ) I hope that all will change in time ..

Green Monkey , you will do great and feel absolutly wonderful after .. Love and Hugs friend  

• chickadee521
    chickadee521 Member Posts: 423
    edited July 2012

Lisamarie-So happy for you!!

BCA-Good to hear from you again!  Sounds like you are feeling pretty great! 

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465
    edited July 2012

Yes,SpecialK,the PS doesnt like any kind of pain reliever,I had to get TyCo#3 for my fills from the GP, The PS said the only reason the fills hurt is because I didnt know what to expect and after the first one I knew what to expect so they shouldnt hurt and I shouldnt be afraid. Poppy poppy cock! Most ladies on here had some pain with the fills. Then I told my friend who had implants for beauty I was getting 600 cc and she said it was too big for me! Good grief doesnt she realize I dont have any breast tissue like she does? Trying to discuss it with her is gonna be a big waste of time. Now I know why she doesnt hang with me a lot when she comes to town. I am too boring for her cause I am discussing stuff that is way over her little GED head! I try to be nice to people but it doesnt get me anywhere. At least I can watch the Wormhole with my fiance. Talk to my other friends when they get back from summer vacay. Me and the intellectual snobs..lol..

• Tatina123
    edited July 2012

BCavenger - you sound great! The TEs will change for sure with how they look. Is your dog giving you the "Why aren't you picking me up look?"

LisaMarie- a big "hooray!"

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited July 2012

Saw my PS today, we ate scheduling my TE replacement soon. He said he would like my hgb up a bit, but he said schedule it and hope it goes up, if not we could cancel. He said I would probably need pain pills for a bit. I found that interesting as so many on here said Their PS don't use pain pills. Weird. Layla, Some friends just don't get it, do they. Bc, glad it went well. Happy dance, Lisa. To all, much love.

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited July 2012

Had breakfast in the breakfast room with Lanie Kazan, in her robe. Lol. Asking me where the yogurt was. I kindly explained to her that I wasn't an employee and that if they had it it was probably in the little refrigerator. They were out.

Spent the day furniture shopping at Furnitureland south. Had a blast. Bought some stuff. Weather has been a little overcast so not conducive to pool time. We stopped by a bead store to look around and came out 6 hours later having designed and made necklaces, spending a crazy amount of money.

• moonflwr912
    edited July 2012

Fluff, crazy amount of money, but I bet you had fun. I do jewelry, and I love it. So enjoy!

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited July 2012

Moon...when they started tallying the bill and I realized I had picked out swarovski stones at $9 a pop, and had several. I knew I was in trouble. It was fun though. My nails, what little I have are very soft, so the staff took pity on my, so while I designed, they did most of the work.

• moonflwr912
    edited July 2012

FLUFF, LOL, that's how they draw you in. As in, "pretty, ooooh pretty! LOL AND BEFORE YOU KNOW IT, YOU HAVE AN 18" NECKLACE That you just spent $100.00on! LOL, ask me how I know this!

• Rennasus
    edited July 2012

BCAvenger and LisaMarie: Whoot, whoot!Healing vibes being sent your way.

Momof3infla: I had a ton of scar tissue removed when he replaced my TE in December. It hurt and it required a tube. I know I have a ton now too, 'cause I can feel it. He said he would do fat grafting on me but wants to wait a year — or two! (Did I mention patience was my new middle name?)

Fluff, I do not know who Lanie Kazan is, but your encounter sounded hilarious! 

Tatina: I know, I'm still in shock and processing all of this.

SpecialK: I have still not gone in the pool. Think 4 days post-fill is long enough to wait? Or I should just kiss swimming goodbye until next year? (That will make me cry.) 

• chickadee521
    chickadee521 Member Posts: 423
    edited July 2012

waterproof bandaid over the fill hole Renn???

• Tatina123
    edited July 2012

Renn- After all you've been through and how far you've come, I'd stay out of the water this summer. SORRY!

• roadwarrior28
    edited July 2012

Hey all - thank you so much for your support and kinds words. I guess I'm going to TE Trouble hiatus for a while, but I'll keep following along the messages - love getting them in my e-mail :)

I had my left TE out on 7/6 and the surgery was easy peasy compared to everything else. I was back to work 2 days later. The pain is gone, I can finally move around freely and sleep on my side! I'm getting fitted for a prosthetic next week, but the right side is still small enough that I can get by without it too. I was on Keflex for 2 weeks prior to surgery and am now on Bactrim, and knock on wood, have tolerated them well with not side effects. I do chase Bactrim with a Probiotic every time I take it.

I"m going through IVF right now and that's going really well, hoping for a successful retrieval and fertilization on Monday. I have 30 something eggs (!!) and feel like I waddle because I'm so bloated, but it's not too bad.

And next Friday I start chemo, so my TE journey will continue after I'm done with that in November :)

• GreenMonkey
    GreenMonkey Member Posts: 291
    edited July 2012
    MTnester... thanks for the encouraging words! My anniversary is December 29th. I had no idea it would take this long to reconstruct. I am finally having my exchange on 7/19. I'm expecting a lot of discomfort because my PS will need to do extensive suturing to keep my implants in place.  I'm telling everyone that I will be flat on my back for two solid weeks. 
  • GreenMonkey
    GreenMonkey Member Posts: 291
    edited July 2012

Lisamarie, how are you doing? 

• Orange73
    Orange73 Member Posts: 2,154
    edited July 2012

Road warrior I have thirty something eggs we want to get pregerent my doctor said no not now tell all