Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• Orange73
    Orange73 Member Posts: 2,154
    edited July 2012

Binc you are packing an open wound ? Get nurse..My god thats awful. Did not read exactly what happened you had your TE out ? and you have a whole. My thoughts and prayers are with you. I have both of mine out.

• Orange73
    edited July 2012

Get a nurse to come to your home

• Orange73
    edited July 2012

Binc get a nurse to come to your home. My thoughts are with you. I did not read how this happened but it sounds awful. You had your TES out and now there is a whole?

• Binc
    Binc Member Posts: 71
    edited July 2012

Orange- thnx for prayers. Yes - TE came out due to infection. Ps said infection was really deep so best to keep wound open and let it heal on its own rather than close it with a drain. Its repulsive! I have a visiting nurse but insurance only pays for her to come twice a week- which is great but the packing needs to be changed twice a day. I can't even stand looking at it :-(

• Orange73
    edited July 2012

Ah god I am so sorry. They think it will heal from the inside out. I guess... I am surprised they left u with an open wound. I can not imange having to do that. Try to stay strong.

• GreenMonkey
    GreenMonkey Member Posts: 291
    edited July 2012

as far as my scratched cornea, what irritated me the most was the nurses looked at me like I had two heads when I said, "my eye hurts" - I repeated this over and over again and all they did was give me ice.  

• GreenMonkey
    edited July 2012

Binc, how are you doing today? ((((((gentle hugs)))))))  

• momof3infla
    momof3infla Member Posts: 333
    edited July 2012

Binc, you are one tough cookie. You will come out stronger after having to deal with all of this. Are any of your friends nurses?

MT - would most definitely email or text over a picture. After all you've been through, take everything seriously.

Green Monkey - you ROCK! So so happy for you!! 

• 1Curlyfry
    1Curlyfry Member Posts: 45
    edited July 2012

Binc: I can't even imagine what you are going through. I thought my TE experiences were horrible, but they always sew me back together after they remove one! I'll be praying it heals quickly!

After seven surgeries in less than a year I should have known that someone was taping my eyes shut. I wonder what else happens in the OR that I don't know about? Live and learn.

Yesterday was the one year anniversary of my BC diagnosis. Like everyone in this club, I thought I'd be through this journey by now. What a long year this has been!

Happy weekend everyone!

Happy weekend everyone!

• MondaysChild
    MondaysChild Member Posts: 161
    edited July 2012

Curly, trust me, you do not want to know what is done and said. It is often so callous. I know too much, to my own detriment. And God forbid you have any level of anesthesia awareness or memory of any of that. They need something better than Versed, I think.

• Binc
    Binc Member Posts: 71
    edited July 2012

Thanks for the support everyone! My husband claims that the wound is starting to close- I'll have to take his word for it. I still can't bring myself to change the packing. He really must love me! Some operating room nurse aquaintences of mine said that this open wound packing thing is not unusual. I never heard of it- it seems really barbaric. If I knew them well enough I'd ask them to help me! . . . Speaking of weird operating room occurrences. I woke up from this surgery with some really dark unexplained bruises on my shoulder. Definitely makes you wonder what goes on when anesthesia kicks in.

• rosetx
    rosetx Member Posts: 70
    edited July 2012

Binc - I hope this heals rapidly for you and that you are able to have the wound closed very soon.  It sounds as though you are making progress!

• GreenMonkey
    edited July 2012

OR video taping should be standard procedure just as it is with police officers pulling over vehicles! that is terrible Binc! Bravo to your husband. I'm mad at mine because he didn't fluff my bed correctly last night so I'm going to tell him how wonderful yours is :) 

• MondaysChild
    MondaysChild Member Posts: 161
    edited July 2012

Good healing vibes sent your way, Binc. Clone your husband! Although mine is every bit has supportive and attentive so maybe they are a clone of each other.  While I did not have open wound packing, he nursed me through six surgeries doing anything and everything needed. It has been a little over six months since my last surgery and he still tends to me. I am glad you have that kind of support through your ordeal.

• 1Curlyfry
    1Curlyfry Member Posts: 45
    edited July 2012

I also have to brag about my wonderful husband. What a trooper he has been. Always there to help me and always strong. He does not care if I ever get new boobs, but he will fight with me because I want them!

• MTnester
    MTnester Member Posts: 147
    edited July 2012

The red spot was worse yesterday, so I called my ps. I emailed pics, and they sent me in to the local clinic to have bloodwork done. The blood looks ok but they put me on an antibiotic as a precaution. It looks smaller today. I'm glad I will see the ps next Wednesday.

Amazing how your mind immediately goes to thinking the worst at every little abnormality. Will I ever be ok again?

Hope you are all having a restful weekend. Hugs to you all.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited July 2012

I have to brag on my DH as well. Never thouht he would be braggable! This has really changed him today I was bummed because I couldn't go to the fire works for Fish Day (a big celebration here in Port Wasington, WI) because I couldn't handle the crowds, tens of thousaNds of people, or the long walk, from the shuttle bus. he went which I thought strange cause he really isn't crazy about them like I am. But he took pics and brought them home for me to see. Score BIG points for him. Not quite the same, but, close and sweet.

• tlew
    tlew Member Posts: 48
    edited July 2012

Hi everyone,

I had my bmx about 2 months ago and had TE placed during surgery. I had 2 fills so far and experiencing pain with breathing along with upper back pain especially during sleeping. I am not undergoing any cancer treatment and wondered if any one else has these uncommon side effect....

• GreenMonkey
    edited July 2012

MT, I think its good you thought the worst - I call that being proactive. If you didn't know people from others here that did get an infection maybe you would have waited and then you could have had a real problem. 

• my3sunz42
    my3sunz42 Member Posts: 62
    edited July 2012

Tina - I too had my surgery a little over a month ago and am experiencing the same pain. From what my PS has told me it's my pectoral muscles being 'stretched' from the expansion. While uncomfortable, I've found that 2 advil seem to do the trick. Also, a hot shower works wonders to loosen the muscles. Hang in there - at least we know we're not alone :-)

• tlew
    edited July 2012

My3sunz42 thanks!

When i told my ps she says its unrelated to my fills which made we feel concerned. After i wake the breathing gets better and the back pain feels less painful. Im going back to see my bs in a few days. Hope its not something else.

• dunesleeper
    dunesleeper Member Posts: 1,305
    edited July 2012

I am hating my TE today. That sucker is just spinning around inside there. Every day it is in a new weird position. Oh well. I guess it is doing its job of stretching my skin and muscle. It just, uck, makes me feel nauseous. If I could I would have it out tonight!

• chickadee521
    chickadee521 Member Posts: 423
    edited July 2012

Tina-How much are you getting put in at each fill?  My experience was anything more then 60cc and I would have pain, especially when lying down, for about 3 days.

• Lauren423
    Lauren423 Member Posts: 19
    edited July 2012

Hi Ladies,

I don't post often on the boards, but I read them everyday, so I know you'll have some suggestions for me!

I developed an infection on my right side TE and was admit into the hospital yesterday to have it removed. Im bummed, but I feel so much better. I just started chemo recently, so now I will have to wait until that's over before we can put the expander back in and start over on that side.

So here's my question, where can I find a good quality right-side foob to match my existing left side? My mom said, "use a sock," and I'm like, ummm, no.

I would appreciate any suggestions! Thanks!

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited July 2012

lauren - Do you have a Nordstrom where you are?  They are specially trained in the lingerie department and do sell and will fit a good quality prosthetic for you - as well as sew a pocket in any bra they sell to hold the prosthetic free of charge.  Be forewarned - they are expensive - several hundred dollars, but some insurance companies cover them.  Also medical device stores or mastectomy fitting stores can do this too.  If you have a branch of the American Cancer Society near you they sometimes have free forms available.  Iused a variety of things as I was in the same situation as you - my left side was out during chemo, a total of 7 months.  I used the chicken cutlet things, some augmentation things sold at Macys, and the fluff filled cotton thing from my mastectomy camisole - it depended on what clothes I was wearing.  Good luck!

• DigitalCowgirl
    DigitalCowgirl Member Posts: 25
    edited July 2012

Binc, Hope your healing is going well. I don't know if I could be that brave.  Thank God for great husbands, eh?  Mine has been wonderful too.  Sending you the best as your wounds heal.

MondaysChild, Tell us what you know about the OR and what they may say or do while we are out.  That scares me and as GreenMonkey mentions, there should be cameras in there to monitor what goes on.  I woke up from my BMX with the worst sore throat ever.  My throat was so raw I could hardly speak for a few days and 2 weeks after surgery I was still raspy and sore.  Now there is a mass in my throat where the tube irritated it and I am seeing an ENT for treatment.  He wants to operate because he can't tell what is going on.  Sigh.....as if we don't have enough to worry about already!

For those asking about fills.....Whippetmom brought to my attention that going slower with fewer ccs each time is better.  I am no expert but my PS pumped in 130 ccs (each side) a few weeks ago and I have had intermittent, stabbing pains ever since--even my back hurt.  Only yesterday did the pain abate.  WHEW!  Those darn pains brought tears to my eyes.  So my suggestion is to talk about it with your PS ahead of time.  I never thought about it until this last fill, so please avoid the pain and ask. 

Hugs to all. 

• chickadee521
    chickadee521 Member Posts: 423
    edited July 2012

Lauren-A sock worked when we were little girls right :)  I think someone on here also ordered a foob from a transvestite store.

Cowgirl-130cc!  I would have died. 

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited July 2012

chick - it was fluff that ordered hers from a cross-dressing store.  I am superstitious enough that I have saved all my assorted foob things.  If I were to die in an accident and someone else had to clear out my personal belongings they would be like WTF is this stuff, lol!

• roadwarrior28
    roadwarrior28 Member Posts: 161
    edited July 2012

Noticed all the discussion about prosthetics - I live in Cleveland and found an amazing store called Elegant Essentials. I'm thinking they have similar places in other cities. I scheduled an appt., gave me them my insurance info, etc. When I arrived, they already called my PS for a prescription and verified my insurance coverage. I got fitted for a prosthetic (I had one TE taken out) and walked out with that and 4 special bras and only paid my 10% co-insurance. They were so helpful and nice - I finally feel normal in clothes.

• tlew
    edited July 2012

chickadee521- Im only getting 50 cc each time.  I'm rather petite ,100 lb and 5'2, so there's no need to do more than 50, otherwise it would look out of place with my frame.

Waking up to that kind of pain really sucks. Today after 3 days from my fill, my breathing is much better. I couldn't take a deep breath without pain for the last few days after my fill.  And it was really annoying!!!