Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited July 2012

I never went to a mastectomy store---I just doubled up on padding. I used a water-filled pushup pad & a pushup pad from JoAnn's fabrics that I added extra microbeads to. No one knew unless I told them :)

• roadwarrior28
    roadwarrior28 Member Posts: 161
    edited July 2012

I think I have the fluffy foob too - its silicone or rubber on the outside but in the back I can add or subtract fluff to adjust the size

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465
    edited July 2012

Speedy recovery to those with infections,hope you can get your TE back soon and get on with it.

Tina, I totally am feeling it. I hated the fills part, there were times when I wanted to give up and say take these f'ing things outta me right now. However, fills over,awaiting exchange surg. Tried on fake nips the other day,really nice fit but need adhesive. Also have some fake boobs from online that also sells to transves folks and such or what we called drag queens back in the day. I had a load of fun with the fake boobs and helped me decide what size I wanted to be with the TE fills. My surgeons have been so supportive of whatever I decided for the most part. I still use my fiance's Voltaren gel which he got for his knee surgery. Its a prescrp strength rubon topical for pain in muscles. My PS told me not to use it. However, I felt it was better than popping TyCo#3 from the GP all the time. Over the counter meds did nothing for the fills pain. Ask Blessings, some of us cried after fills.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited July 2012

road - mine was fluff inside a t-shirt fabric thing - like a very tiny pillow sham, lol!  It was super light weight and did not chafe.  I had some of the microbead forms but they seems to irritate my skin, especially in hot weather.

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited July 2012
    Layla2525: let me know when your new exchange date is when you know it and I'll add you back up top.
  • fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited July 2012

Yes, I am the person who ordered from an online transvestite website. Still get the emails and it makes me laugh. When it was so hot, I did not find the silicone things comfy against my skin, so I put them in the little pockets that held the fluffy stuff from my camis and it worked great.

Like SpecialK, I can't bring myself to get rid of the things I used just in case. I often think what my children would think if they had to clean out my bedroom. I have one of those four drawer plastic things. One drawer has my silicone foobs and the fluffy insert ones. One drawer has my wigs. If I just add some false eyelashes, they might wonder who their dad was really married too!

Renn...saw your question about more fat grafting. It does not worry me a bit. It was painful in my ab area, but a really sore painful, not stabbing. Like I had done way too many situps, or pulled all my stomache muscles. Just felt like an old lady for about a week. When I went back for my checkup, I dropped my keys when I stood up. I looked at the floor trying to decide if I could make it down and back up. LOL. His medical assistant, who I love, was laughing herself silly.

• tinat
    tinat Member Posts: 2,235
    edited July 2012
    fluffqueen01 - Ouch!  Reminds me of a funny birthday card I saw....."You know you're getting older when you bend down to tie your shoes and you wonder what else you can do while you're down there."  Laughing  I think we've all felt like that at some point on this journey!
  • moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited July 2012

Arrggghhrrrgghhggrr!!!!!! That felt good. I am upset (can you tell?)

They still won't schedule my TE replacement! PS want to wait for my hgb to improve. It's now 9.9 I thought that was good, but I guess not. So they won't even schedule me yet. I don't know how long my longterm disability will continue , big I want this surgery before I have to go back. They are already making me go to orientation again. Bbefore I can go back. Oh well. This too shall pass.

• fluffqueen01
    edited July 2012

Moon, is HGB hemoglobin? If so, pop those iron pills!

• moonflwr912
    edited July 2012

Yep, taking iron pills, my hgb is up today to 10.4 so it is finally recovering. And if it takes two weeks before they can do it, it should be normal before surgery. So they need to schedule it already!

• Jill1962
    Jill1962 Member Posts: 7
    edited July 2012

Hi Binc,

I had to have my Implants removed 3 years ago after 2 failed exchanges and the skin opened up, they used some silver content bandages to help heal the wounds and the Nurses clinic that I went to 2 times a week told me to start taking Whey Protein shakes to help the skin heal, it worked really well I took 1 scoop a day with milk and a banana in a blender.

I know what it is like to have to do your own bandages and to have to look at the open wounds but trust me you will get thru this part just like you got thru the rest of it.  I did and most of the time I forget all that I've gone thru.. the mind is a wonderful thing ;)

I am now going thru Fat Graphs "only" to build up both sides and luckily my body is not rejecting my own fat and the only down time now for me is after the liposuction so I'm only down for a week at a time, I have about 3 more sessions to go and then hopefully by this time next year I will not have to strap on my foobs anymore ;p

• moonflwr912
    edited July 2012

Jill, hope it continues to go well.

• Jill1962
    edited July 2012

Thanks Moonflwr912, looks like you've been thru the ringer too going by your signature.

Are you finished the chemo yet?  How are things going with you?

• DigitalCowgirl
    DigitalCowgirl Member Posts: 25
    edited July 2012

Hi all, 

I'm trying to catch up after being away a few days.  All the talk about boobs and noobs is both entertaining and informative.  I just gave up and started going commando.  Very liberating and I don't have to worry about fluff shift.  OMG, we went out to dinner with friends last week and I was horrified to look down to find lefty pointing north and righty pointing WAY southeast. Maybe i should have had only 1 margarita, but we all had a good laugh.

I met with my ENT yesterday to get info on my "surgery" that's scheduled tomorrow.  Well it's no big deal--Mondayschild and Blessings you were right.  He's only putting me out for 5 minutes under general anesthesia to determine if he can later remove the mass thru my mouth or will have to crack my jaw open.  This little 5 minute procedure will cost over $17K! Thank God for insurance!  I'll be in recovery for a whopping 15 minutes and go home right after I wake up.. I'll be back at work by noon.

Had another fill yesterday.  Only 60 ccs on each side but I woke up at 2AM with severe boobie pain.  Can't take meds before my procedure tomorrow so have been biting down on sticks all day--just kidding.  But man, these TEs suck!  I did get a tentative exchange date of  10/18, so I am happy about that.  Only one more fill to go.

I hope everyone is doing better.  Glad to see so many having successful exchanges. YAHOO!

Hugs to all. 

• Tatina123
    Tatina123 Member Posts: 312
    edited July 2012

I got the best news ever today.....

My friend who was diagnosed with advanced lung cancer is in REMISSION after being on Tarceva (pills) for three months. We were on the phone and all we did was cheer, scream, and cheer some more! 

Started PT today.....brought home my stretch "this and that" homework.

• Binc
    Binc Member Posts: 71
    edited July 2012

Jill- thanks for sharing your story! I definately need to increase my protein intake so I'll try the whey protein shake. It sounds pretty good! Sorry for all you've been through, but glad the fat graphs are working for you.

I'm getting better at the wound packing thing- though it still disgusts me! I went to the PS today and he was happy with my progress. It's healing well, though he says it will still be another 3 weeks or so before it closes. No foob wearing until then :-(. Also, for the first time in over 2 months, I no longer have to take vancomycin! The PIcc line will stay in for another week "just in case". I've spent 6 hours of every day since this infection started back in May on IV antibiotics - sooo happy not to have to deal with that anymore! Small steps . . .

Tatina- congrats to your friend - remission is always great news!!!

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited July 2012

moon - can they schedule the surgery with the hope that your hemoglobin will be high enough, that way you won't be delayed?

tatina - yay for your friend - that is so awesome!  I know how worried and upset you were.

binc - yay for progress!

digital - I had to go to a formal military dinner with my DH when my left TE was out.  I had no suitable nice dresses so bought a higher neckline one and put on the prosthetic - I kept looking at him periodically to determine if all my assorted foobs were still where they were supposed to be - it was a nerve wracking evening!  He got pretty good at winking to let me know all was OK!

• moonflwr912
    edited July 2012

Specialk, I will call tomorrow and see if they can schedule Me, I se to be going up everyweek, in two weeks, should be at low normal. We will see. Tatina, I am happy for your friend. binc, glad for progress. Specialk and digital, I have to keep pulling my camisol down or my foobs are under my chin. LOL. Much love to all

• tinat
    tinat Member Posts: 2,235
    edited July 2012
    Binc - That's great news - keep up the good work Laughing
  • DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited July 2012

So happy for your friend, Tatina!

Glad you are making progress, Binc. 

• rosetx
    rosetx Member Posts: 70
    edited July 2012

Binc - I am so happy that your surgery site is healing.  I'm sorry it has been so difficult.  I may try the whey protein as well to see if it helps.

• GreenMonkey
    GreenMonkey Member Posts: 291
    edited July 2012

Binc, so, so, SO HAPPY to hear you're healing!!!! YEAH :))))) 

Tatina, wonderful news indeed!!!

this is a great way to start the day. Happy friday everyone~ 

• fluffqueen01
    edited July 2012

Binc.....on this thread, Debbiey also had packing. She is from the uk, I believe. Hers was some kind of seaweed thing. If you do a search on packing open wound, there are several people who have had to do that. Once used a vac system of some sort, but you have to have clear margins apparently.

• Jill1962
    edited July 2012

Binc - Happy to hear that your PS is happy with progress, it's always a good thing leaving the PS office on a positive note!

I had the PS office take before pics for the Fat Graph Procedure as they didn't have any to show me so I wanted others to see the outcome if they had to go thru it. 

It's a newer procedure here in Vancouver so there aren't any before or after pics that I have found.  Hopefully that is a good sign for TE sisters not having to go this route!  Although if I'd a know I could have saved myself 2 1/2 years of 2 separate TE exchanges I would have gone that route... I guess it's a last thing to try kinda thing!

I have scar tissue that I have to have worked on by my MT over the next few months so that it lifts up enough to get the fat under it but I am happy to go thru the pain of massage if the results are good in the end. 

I guess "No Pain No Gain" really applies here ;p

• Jill1962
    edited July 2012

Tatina - Great News for your girlfriend..  It's so nice to hear good news for a change!

• moonflwr912
    edited July 2012

Yay, they will finally schedule me on Monday, when the scheduler is back in the office. I will have a date to put that stupid TE back in!

• Marcyk
    Marcyk Member Posts: 19
    edited July 2012

Hi all.  I've been away for awhile - just getting fills and trying to manage my 2 year old and 5 year old.  I'm exhausted but I'm pretty sure it's all about the kids right now. 

I just got my date for my exchange.  I'm waiting until school starts and my oldest gets settled in kindergarten.  I'm on for October 4th and can't wait!  Almost a year to the day from my original diagnosis.  I'm so sick of having these rock hard things on my chest and my PS overfilled my implants by 100cc to make sure he had enough skin for the next surgery.  I've pretty much decided to go with Silicone for my implants.  Has anyone out there heard any issues with silicone that would push them towards saline?  

Happy Summer!

• fluffqueen01
    edited July 2012

Marcy, I have silicone and then had fat grafting around them. I love them. Mine feel pretty much like my old dense ones.

• GreenMonkey
    GreenMonkey Member Posts: 291
    edited July 2012

Hi Marcy, 

I had my exchange on July 19th. I have silicone implants and I can't stop touching them! LOVE THEM encouraging everyone I know to touch them.  

Best of luck to you, Shannon 

• moonflwr912
    edited July 2012

I was thinking saline, but siicone has been sounding better and better. But, with a pacemaker, can't do the MRIs anyone know if that makes then a no go? I'll talk to my ps when I go in, but just wondering.