Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,801
    edited July 2012

Moon, my ps recommends them every couple years, but also said insurance is unlikely to cover it, and a lot of people don't get them.

• DigitalCowgirl
    DigitalCowgirl Member Posts: 25
    edited July 2012

Hi all,

Tatina, doing the wave for your friend and you!  Yahoo.

Moonflower and Special K, glad to know I'm not the only one experiencing fluff shift.  I just may start a thread inviting everyone to share their stories.  After all, most of us could use a good laugh now and again.

Green Monkey, you're a hoot.  I keep touching my TEs  too........when I sneeze or cough, when they decide to send hot, stabbing pains to my chest, and anytime I do anything that requires arms at sides (my side boobs must be a B cup all on their own already.)

Fluff and Tina, LOL!

Binc , glad to hear you are on the mend.  Carry on Girl.  You are so courageous.

Fluff, I have heard others say fat grafting gives great results.  Is it done at exchange or do you need another surgery?

Marcy, so glad you are getting close to the finish line.  I have a tentative exchange date of 10/18 which is almost 5 months out from DMX.  I've almost lost my mind, but you enduring for a year gives me hope that I won't turn into a total lunatic. 

It sounds like so many are working thru TEs decisions well.  Please keep posting so we continue to learn.

Hugs to all. 

• Layla2525
    Layla2525 Member Posts: 465
    edited July 2012

fluffqueen, I know what you mean,its very economical to order from the transvestite sites compared to the BC websites I have seen. We do get weird emails tho.

As for the hgb count, do you like clams? I would eat lots of clam chowder and add another can for good measure, thats what I used to do with my friends back in the day when we got anemic. Clams have iron and I got sick on iron pills. When i was at the univ I was living on coke and crackers,too busy to eat and got severe anemia and flooding which made it worse. If you can find a cast iron skillet and cook things with tomato sauce in there. My ex used to do that when I was pregnant and the OB said I didnt have to take the iron pills.

Keeping an eye on weather with SpecialK here in Mosquitoville, yep Jimmy Buffett got it wrong.  I am feeling it, I am so frustrated too,had my TE in since Feb 13,how long can these things stay in?

Renna, I am rescheduled for Aug 30th,god I will be so glad to pass second base and get my gel boobs and look forward to nip recon. I would PM to you but I am lucky I even know how to turn this laptop on and get my MIFI connected. They remodeled the house b4 I bought it and closed up the phone wall jack.

• sherry67
    sherry67 Member Posts: 370
    edited July 2012

Layla2525..you asked how Long the expanders can stay in I have had mine in since July of 2011..still waiting for the exchange..have an appt aug 8 ..I told them had enough they are the most uncomfortable things in the world..I was told I had to wait for these specific implants called Sierenta think that's how you spell it but have been hearing this since may its been a year ...I'm done waiting..so to your answer I was also told they could stay in permenately I said heck no..good luck

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited July 2012

Layle, I added you to the list.

I've had my left expander in since Feb. 2011; righty only since Dec. 2011. My PS said it's no problem to leave them in there. I cannot wait to finally have my exchange! Yell

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited July 2012

layla - mine were in (right) Nov. 1, 2010 - Feb. 24, 2012, and (left) Nov. 1, 2010 - Jan. 21, 2011, then again from July of 2011 - Feb. 2012.  Ren takes the prize for the longest but a lot of us had them a while!  The good news is that when you finally successfully exchange all that becomes a distant memory!

• fluffqueen01
    edited July 2012

Digital, my fat grafting was done after. About four months. If I could have talked him into it, I would have everything fat grafted. But no one local does that and I wasn't willing to go somewhere. Dancetrancer has full fat grafting and is very happy. I really like my results. Because of my infection, the skin was thinner in one area so he had to use a little smaller implant than planned. I needed some filling in the upper part and then he wanted to fill in around the thin skin area, which was still pink. That made a huge difference and it looks totally normal now.

Mine was done under general, but from the surgery standpoint,it is pretty basic. Not really much cutting. LOTS of bruising where they suck out the fat, and that area will be really, really sore for a week.

• chickadee521
    chickadee521 Member Posts: 423
    edited July 2012

I could have had fg at exchange if my ps had the machine...but he didn't so I had to wait 3 months. I could have had more with nips but I opted not to. I am happy with my results. I agree with fluff about a weeks worth of pain.

Fluff...havnt been through indy since the super bowl. What's up with all the funky statues along 70.

• fluffqueen01
    edited July 2012

Chick, it has something to do with an arts and culture program. You should see the ones that are at the exit to downtown. Looks like giant mushrooms. I was taking my son to his pt for knee rehab last week, and we laughed that it looked like something out of Alice in Wonderland.

• chickadee521
    chickadee521 Member Posts: 423
    edited July 2012

Off 70? I think I saw those.

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited July 2012

Fluff shift is the worst! I either wore a yoga tank with separate pockets or a stretch bra with separate pockets. Otherwise, all my padding would end up in the middle, which I can assure you is not a good look!

Had to send a second email to my district manager to see if my time off for next week has been approved yet. I am taking off from work for sure, but it would be nice to know that I can use sick time or vacation time, especially since I put my request in a month in advance. 

• rosetx
    rosetx Member Posts: 70
    edited July 2012

Went to the PS this a.m. to check on the delayed healing issue with the incision w/the tissue expanders.  He said it is finally beginning to heal and will check again in 2 weeks.  Stopped by my mother's apt. on the way home and found her on the floor with a stroke.  She's in ICU and next 3 days will get better or worse doctor said.  I'm just glad I was this far along in the healing process so I can be there for her.

• GreenMonkey
    GreenMonkey Member Posts: 291
    edited July 2012

rosetx, my dad died exactly 30 days after I had my mammogram which showed the beginning of all this CANCER CRAP. It was hell but in a weird way (this might not come our right), I knew he left so that he could help me from the other side. I had a large "highly suspicious mass behind my DCIS" that appeared in my MRI but was not there in the final pathology report (thanks Dad!). 

I hope your Mom recovers. Stay strong. We're here for you if you nee us!   Shannon 

• specialk
    edited July 2012

dll - hope you get the version of time off you need - seems like you asked far enough in advance!

rosetx - Holy moly - I hope your mom is going to be OK, what a shock for you!  My mom had several strokes and actually did very well in recovery, so hoping the same for yours.

• DLL66
    edited July 2012

rosetx, best wishes for your mom & for your continued healing.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited July 2012

Rosetx, wow, what a shock. Hope you both heal quick.

• moonflwr912
    edited July 2012

Finally heard from my PS office. Looks like Aug 13 or 15 for TE replacement. Ok, hurry up. Probably have to go back to work around Sept 1st. Will have to go to do orientation again and don't know exactly where they'll stick me, so a bit scared. But progress, I guess.

• momof3infla
    momof3infla Member Posts: 333
    edited July 2012

Moon - my HGB was down at one point (10 or 11). So my Onco said that I needed an iron infusion. This was 2 weeks before my exchange surgery. So I sat in there for like 5 hours, drip, drip, drip and had my iron slowly infused by IV. Then they said it took like 6 weeks for it to be absorbed. Now it's up to like 13. Not sure if I'll need one more, but it was really no big deal. I've been taking Hemax pills, but my problem lies with the absorption rate for some reason. They keep doing iron studies on me. Could be because I'm a redhead, but who knows? Anyway, hope that helps. It's something to consider to get your #'s up quickly.

• specialk
    edited July 2012

momof3 - 13 is a decent Hgb, mine usually hovers about 12ish.  When I used to donate blood I often was declined because mine was too low.  Did you do chemo (sorry, I can't remember) and did your drop?

• moonflwr912
    edited July 2012

I just realized, when I used to give blood regularly, my hgb was 13/14 . No wonder I felt so depleted, at 7 and 8 ! But I finally got above 10 last week. So onward and upward! LOL

• Bonseye
    Bonseye Member Posts: 124
    edited August 2012
    rosetx-prayers to you and your Mom!  I always have difficulty understanding how we can have so much to deal with at once....know you and Mom are in our prayers <3
  • rosetx
    rosetx Member Posts: 70
    edited August 2012

GreenMonkey - I understand what you are saying, and that is a comforting thought.

DL66, Moonflwr, SpecialK - Thanks so much for the prayers and good thoughts.  Have been at the hospital all day.  The doctor said he noted some decline in function from yesterday and she failed the swallowing test given again this afternoon, so she can't be given food by mouth.  He said it doesn't look good and she's left advanced directives for no heroic measures.  I know things could change still within this first 3 days as swelling may begin to go down, so it's just a matter of waiting.

Thank you all.

• moonflwr912
    edited August 2012

Rose, my brother had a bad stroke 10 years ago. he recovered quite well. He was 52. Stroke victims can recover, and you are there with her so that is good. It is good that you know her wishes as well. You are doing everything you can, hang in there.

• Bogie
    Bogie Member Posts: 79
    edited August 2012

My TE ruptured 3 times. My PS also said won't hurt to keep them in, although it constantly itches in and around my insicions.

• roadwarrior28
    roadwarrior28 Member Posts: 161
    edited August 2012

Bogie how did you know when you'd TE ruptured?

• Bogie
    Bogie Member Posts: 79
    edited August 2012

Road you will know if and when your TE ruptures cause one day you wake up and your flat, very noticeable when laying on your back. They have no clue why it happened.

• DLL66
    edited August 2012

Continuing to send positive thoughts, rosetx.

Well, my time off from work was approved (yay). Crashed my car on the way home from work (not so yay). No injuries, thank goodness. I have my pre-op appt @ the hospital in the am...guess I was distracted.

• moonflwr912
    edited August 2012

Dll, sorry about the car. Glad you are ok.

• specialk
    edited August 2012

dll - oh no!  I am so glad you are OK!  You may be sore tomorrow though...  If you need anything PM me.

• DLL66
    edited August 2012

Thanks, Moonflwr & SpecialK! My car is pretty much a tank. I don't anticipate being sore.