Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited August 2013

jnprsn - I can't remember, did they culture anything for you?  You need to be on the right antibiotic for what is causing the problem.  Also, do you have any anti-nausea stuff left after chemo?  If you do, take it 30 minutes before your pain meds.  My DD just had to do this after her tonsillectomy.

goldie - remember when you go to get your fill that you are the customer - you tell your doctor that you want a small fill, it is not up to him/her!  Tell them that is your decision and that is what you want, your doctor works for you.

• jnprsn
    jnprsn Member Posts: 59
    edited August 2013

Specialk,

Yes based on culture from infection at TE removal, PS' nurse just switched me to Cipro from Keflex (doctor called her). She didn't take drain out today. Seeing PS in person tomorrow to do that.

This nurse says that TE infections are rare as does the PS.

• specialk
    edited August 2013

jnprsn - I really don't think that infections are that rare - I know too many people who have had them.  There are four on the list in the header at the beginning of this thread - that are local to me - all different docs, different facilities.  I am glad they cultured so they know which antibiotic will be effective - I too am wondering if you need more time on the drug though.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited August 2013

J, so sorry. Hang in there, but I think you do need more abx or at least a different kind.

Ok, guys. Um, I have a problem. New TE seems fine. But, last night I thought I had a demented mosquito, that bit me just a bit in about ten places. Um, this morning, I have twenty. Um yeah, HIVES! But, only on one ARM? How weirdass is that? Sigh. Calling docs office now. Double sigh:....

• goldie4040
    goldie4040 Member Posts: 404
    edited August 2013

Moonflwr, did they give you any meds that you haven't been on before? Hang in there.  It could be a simple as a reaction to anethesia

• jnprsn
    edited August 2013

The Cipro was written for 7 days but I was told I will be on it for 30 days.

• jnprsn
    edited August 2013

Moonflwr, keep us posted about hives.

• moonflwr912
    edited August 2013

I have to Fi.d out which abx and anesthesia they gave me. Don't know if I had anything new, but I was throwing up on recovery. Well, not to itchy, but they told to take a benedryl. otherwise I feel fine.

• jnprsn
    edited August 2013

Moonflwr, glad to hear it!

• mamasixtaz
    mamasixtaz Member Posts: 156
    edited August 2013

jnprsn-hope you feel better soon.  I had healing problems (incision infection and tissue necrosis) after bmx/LD recon and worried about my TEs at that time.  Several rounds of  different oral anitibiotics later and incision excision finally turned things around.  My incisions are wider and pretty red with areas that scarred from the necrosis but I am so thankful the TEs never got infected.  I still watch intently for any changes as the skin is still very thin across the incision sites.  I kept crackers next to my bed to take with the pain meds ( even tylenol) all pills seem to make me nauseous as well.  I tolerated it better with the crackers.  I also alternated my ibu/tylenol and found it worked well for the pain in order to get off the narcotics asap. I can imagine the disappointment in having it removed...much I complain about these TEs I am so thankful to be on the home stretch.  Rest, rest, rest and heal!  Hope they can come up with IV or oral antiibiotics that work for you and put you back on the road to recovery.  Thinking of you and sending you many ((HUGS))!

• moonflwr912
    edited August 2013

WARNING. GRAPHIC DISCRIPTIONS AHEAD, borders on WAY TMI! LOL

OK , drains still in, but I wasn't even hoping they would come out. Still putting over 80 cc a day so have to call on Thursday. But at least they are turning a lighter color, not the deep blood red. I have to change the dressing daily now. Also he filled me with 120 ccs more today. His reasoning is that if he fills up the pocket, there will be pressure to help slow the flow of fluid. The fill didn't hurt , my muscle does not hurt, but the FREAKING ALLODERM!!! AARGGH! Broken rib city! That's what it feels like. A Sharp burning pain. At least I know what it is, though, and holding it just like you might a broken rib, helps. Also the area they removed the scar tissue from aches, but doesn't really hurt. and BTW, the path report came back about the scar tissue. It was "fat infiltrated nodes, and scar tissue." So I some research to do. So there were at least two more nodes taken out of my breast area! PS said that he had not seen anything like it before, but it was not cancer. So interesting day. LOL. Also, the rash on my ARM is probably NOT an allergic reaction to antibiotics. Huh, but of course they dont know what it is, to quote, " never seen anything like it" LOL, once again I am showing my docs things they haven't run into before. LOL Much love to all.

• patriciahurtado
    patriciahurtado Member Posts: 85
    edited August 2013

Moonflw912.... Really hate our good Dr... Yes I did have an infection on my right TE oh yeahhhh they never heard of that .... Got hives for 4 days and no one heard if that ... I was itchy for 3 days every day at 12am to 4:00 am none stop .... Never heard of that either..... But it all went away on its on..... I just think that all this chemicals in our body are just trying to leave our system and just don't know how it should react !!!!! .... Remember that all this stays within our system up. To a year .... We just to figure out how to go around it ...we have each other .... I'm 26/28 rads almost done !!! Good luck my ladies!!!

• goldie4040
    edited August 2013

Moon, how can you tell it's the alloderm vs the expander that hurts?  To me it's all the same.  It just freaking hurts!!!!!! 

I hope you start feeling better.  My PS had me wrap with ace bandage for compression to stop seroma.  It worked.  Don't know about it working for drain output. 

• moonflwr912
    edited August 2013

Goldie, I'm wrapped too. And it is the alloderm because its only on the bottom, where no stitches are, it only goes up to half the height of the TE and you can feel it and sometimes hear the crinkle... LOL.

Pat, so happy you have almost completed rads! And, yes, the docs seem like, hmmm, don't have a clue, but they are all experts, huh. LOL just keep going forward. What else can we do? LOL

• mamasixtaz
    edited August 2013

Moonflr-Hope you can find relief and get those drains out soon!  Hang in there with those fills!  Feeling your pain. Gentle ((HUGS))

pat-Congrats, the rads is almost done!  

Both of you are very strong women, inspiration to us all!

• jnprsn
    edited August 2013

Mamasixtaz,

My drain was finally removed and the Cipro has kicked in. Slowly feeling relief. Thank you!

• mamasixtaz
    edited August 2013

Jnprsn-yea, glad the drain is out! Good to hear you feel better!

• goldie4040
    edited August 2013

It is my understanding, from some things I have read that the alloderm eventually becomes part of you and your skin.  I don't know if this is true, or not.  There has to be a way to do something about iron bra.  When they go in there they must be able to see what is making things feel so tight, and release the tension.  Some women get it, some don't. Mine was immediate.  I hate when they hand me that crap about it being scar tissue forming.  No, not as soon as I woke up from surgery...I don't think so.  Ugh.  Sorry, I am so frustrated.

• mamasixtaz
    edited August 2013

Goldie-I hate the iron bra feeling I had it from the start too. It never goes away or gets any better. Hoping it will with exchange. It has to be the TEs and the expansion process that causes all that iron bra feeling. I feel your frustration! Vent away we are all here for you!

• mamasixtaz
    edited August 2013

Goldie-I hate the iron bra feeling I had it from the start too. It never goes away or gets any better. Hoping it will with exchange. It has to be the TEs and the expansion process that causes all that iron bra feeling. I feel your frustration! Vent away we are all here for you!

• SueBre
    SueBre Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2013

jnprsn

I see you have targeted therapy of Tamoxafin, but no date.  Did you take Tamoxafin before surgery and chemo, or is it planned post-chemo? 

• jnprsn
    edited August 2013

Hi SueBre,

My oncologist put Tamoxifen in my plan for after chemo. For 5-10 years! When that will be, not sure. Still battling an infection post TE removal. It has delayed my chemo until September 3rd if I get the go ahead.

• moonflwr912
    edited August 2013

Jnprsn, my chemo had been postponed due to my being on abx. I started it a month late. They don't start until you have been off abx for about a week. I have been feeling pretty good after my fill, even though it was 120 cc . the part that aches is where he took out the lymph nodes and scar tissue. My doc recommended a sports bra for compression. I had to order some that would fit, overnight shipping was almost as much as the bras! LOL Much love.

• jnprsn
    edited August 2013

Moonflw, glad you are feeling better. Wow a 120 cc fill! Is that because your skin was expanded a bit before?

My drain site is still releasing fluid especially at night when I want to sleep braless. Wondering how long this will be.

• moonflwr912
    edited August 2013

Jo, yep I was filled more before, but my PS said he filled me up as much as he could at surgery. The extra 120 was to compress my tissue from the inside. I am lucky it feels ok yet. Still putting out over 80 ccs from one drain a day. The other one is 10 all day. But still a far cry from the less than 30 cc he wants to pull it out. Still have three days for it to drop. At least it is lighter in color. Much love.

• goldie4040
    edited August 2013

I can see why your PS put the 120cc in for compression.  They wrapped me at the beginning to prevent fluid build up. I think it worked.  Unfortunately, because I had a wound healing problem I one side I couldnt do a fill.

Yesterday, when I went for my fill I asked if I could come every week instead of every two weeks, and get smaller fills hoping to would be more comfortable for me. So far, so good. 

Hope you all have a good weekend.  I am going to try.

• goldie4040
    edited August 2013

Well, I went from every two week fill to every week fill starting yesterday, and reducing the amount put in hoping for less discomfort, and I think it worked.  Somebody, on here recommended it, and I don't remember who, but thank you so much.  I think it is helping.

• specialk
    edited August 2013

goldie - that was me - that is what I did post new TE insertion, because I had such severe skin-healing issues.  It took longer to reach the total volume I wanted, but I never had pain.  Also I didn't have to wait such a long time after completing fills to have exchange surgery because I had gone so slow.  Glad it is working for you!

• goldie4040
    edited August 2013

Yes, thank you Special. Although tonight I feel tight again.  I just can't win!!!  I was told by the PA the other day that I started out very tight, and it's going to feel that way till my exhange.  That is 3 months out.  Ugh!!!  With more fills to come all during Sept. 

I am ready to do a diep flap and be done with this.  I would get over it sooner. 

• specialk
    edited August 2013

goldie - have you considered any PT during this time?  I got a great deal of relief while I had expanders and after exchange - I was actually going for PT for lymphedema, but they did alot of stretching and massage of the whole chest, pecs, upper back, shoulders, etc.  I have genetically thin pectoral muscles and some pretty big implants, so I often get that feeling of tightness.  Doing some stretching exercises always helps but I wouldn't have known what to do if I had not gone for PT.