Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited August 2013

J- I got my second implant about 2 months after PFC,  but it was too soon for me.  I was still run down.  I was not really feeling betterm but I was so much better than during tx I thought I was up to it.  But the way I feel now, I wasnt ready then.  LOl

PS, I use Amoena camisole, they also have fluff inserts, but they last the longest and wear better.  I like the softees to sleep in. I needed the fluff ones, becuase when my left TE was removed, I wore a full insert on that side and a half full one for my half filled TE on the right.  Um, Its at least 12 months Ive bee that way now~  LOL

• jnprsn
    jnprsn Member Posts: 59
    edited August 2013

Renassus, Specialk, Moonflower, Binc,

Do you know where to find a soft bra inserts? I'm wearing hook in the front sports bras. I never really got too big on the left side so it doesn't have to be big or perfect.

• BayouBabe
    BayouBabe Member Posts: 1,467
    edited August 2013

Jnprsn - if you are looking for something inexpensive, go to a sewing/craft store such as Joanne Fabrics or Fields Fabrics. They have simple forms that can be filled with fluff to change the size as needed.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited August 2013

I also used the soft bead or gel-filled ones you can get at Macys, they are also pictured in the link below.  I also used the cotton pillow-like form that came with my mastectomy camisole from the hospital, and I liked that the covering was cotton and very lightweight. In the attached link it is the little white thing with the caption "breast surgery necessities" -

http://www.tlcdirect.org/Mastectomy-Non-Silicone-Lightweight-Breast-Forms-Cancer-Patients-American-Cancer-Society-TLC-Direct

• Lucky777
    Lucky777 Member Posts: 13
    edited August 2013

Lucky777 my surgery is 9/5/13 Tissue Expanders replaced with gummy bear implants and bilateral breast lifts and extensive pocket work.

• goldie4040
    goldie4040 Member Posts: 404
    edited August 2013

Lucky, I bet you are excited. Can't wait to hear about your results.

• jnprsn
    edited August 2013

Specialk, thank you. They look like they will do the trick.

Lucky777, wonderful news!

I keep trying to find answers as to why this happens (seromas) and what I could have done differently so that my TE didn't have to be removed. I did read that eating low carb helps.

My PS said that seromas are rare. His nurse told me they are more common than you think. I don't know what to beleive anymore.
    This all started happening after my port was placed on same side. Breast immediately swelled.

• jnprsn
    edited August 2013

Hi everyone,

I have my follow up with the PS nurse today. Still in pain.

For those that had a TE removed, how long did you endure pain and how long was your drain in for?

Also, how rate or common do you think seromas are?

• specialk
    edited August 2013

I did not experience much pain with the removal of my left TE, and always lost my drains (had them three separate times) in less than a week.  I think I am more of an exception with the drain removal - most people have them in longer than I did. Your level of activity can be directly tied to drain output, so try not to move around too much.  Seromas are very common and can be a chronic issue.

• momof3infla
    momof3infla Member Posts: 333
    edited August 2013

Roadwarrior - my PS wanted me to wait a whole year for everything to settle before scheduling revision.  It sounds like we are in the same situation.  I had so much scar tissue around the left TE since it was in for 15 months that it created extra space, and my scar line rode up about 1/4 inch.  It really bothers me.  Surgery is on Wed, and I'm in that nervous, anxious, tons of energy mode.  Hopefully this will be the last surgery.  I will have 2 drains (blahhhh), and that will make drains # 14 and 15.  I'm a pro lol. 

Some good news....I had the endometrial biopsy 2 weeks ago and everything came back completely normal!  WAHOOOOO!  I was so concerned that the Tamox was doing harm, and it isn't so.  I also have an ultrasound scheduled next month right before my yearly OB appt.  It feels good knowing that they are watching and monitoring me closely. 

Vegas was a blast!  Now it's time to put this last surgery behind me.  Please send prayers my way.  Surgery is at 8am Wed morning :)

• moonflwr912
    edited August 2013

Mom3, congrats on the good biopsy results. I am also scheduled for tomorrow, for TE replacement. Third times the charm! I hope. its been a year, so I hope I will keep it this time. I am at 1:30. I won't be at the hospital till 11:30. My right TE has been in since 12-2011. So I am sure it will need work too, when I get my squishies. That is if it doesn't pop from age when they try to fill it. LOL SO GOOD LUCK ON Wed!

• specialk
    edited August 2013

moon - keeping fingers crossed for you!

momof3 - will also be thinking of you, man, you are the queen of drains!

• patriciahurtado
    patriciahurtado Member Posts: 85
    edited August 2013

Hey my ladies !!!! Keeping finger cross for you!!!!.... Ewwwww TE suckkkk.... But I had mine removed 2 months ago and been getting radiation .... I'm on my 21/28 woohoo..... But I feel that I'm gonna wait about 6 months before I decide anything..... Gonna let my skin heal .... I purchase few sports bras with pockets and placed silicone bras inside .... They have adhesive so I purchase two set place them together and actually feel good and look real ... It was only $19.00 so if you need help let me know...... I'm praying that my skin will heal for reconstruction.......

• moonflwr912
    edited August 2013

I'm freaking myself out. LOL. Deep breath. Thanks ladies. Patricia, ill pray that your skin heals fast. Much love to all. 3rd times the charm. Repeat, repeat! LOL

• mamasixtaz
    mamasixtaz Member Posts: 156
    edited August 2013

Moonflr-best of luck tomorrow, positive vibs for a great and successful outcome! Hang in there and we will be waiting to hear from you...many (((HUGS))!

• jnprsn
    edited August 2013

Moonflwr - You are my hero. TE insertion 3x.

How did you ever get through the pain and drains?

With TE removal, I've had this drain in for 6 days and am counting the hours until its out on Monday.

I must have a very low pain tolerance.

Have tried Vallium (doesn't do much for pain), Percocet (helps pain but with nausea), Vicodin (doesn't do much for pain and keeps me awake). Motrin 800 mg seems to relieve somewhat. Beginning to think I'm crazy. Or maybe my doses are too low.

• momof3infla
    edited August 2013

Moonflwr how are you??

I'm done with surgery, and only had to have ONE drain!  Wahoo!  She didn't use the Alloderm.  Moved my pec muscle around and did some internal stitching.  I'm in mild pain, but I can handle it.  Just laying low and watching Real Housewives lolol

• specialk
    edited August 2013

jnpsrn - Valium won't give you pain relief - it is more for the muscle discomfort from fills.  If you have nausea with pain meds ask for an anti-nausea med to take along with it.  I just had to do this for my daughter who had a tonsillectomy (she is 24 - this procedures causes immense pain for adults) and she was sensitive to the meds and nauseous - don't want to throw up after a tonsillectomy!  I was prescribed Vicodin after almost every surgery but have a high pain threshold and did not take them beyond a couple of days.  I took Tylenol when I stopped the Vicodin.  You may want to request a stronger dose, but not if it is keeping you awake.  Did your doc OK that much ibuprofen (Motrin)?  There is a bleeding risk with it - not sure I would take that much after surgery. 

• momof3infla
    edited August 2013

I got the patch behind my ear this morning before surgery, and they put Zofran in my IV as well.  I felt slightly sick afterward, but recovered quickly and was home by about 12:30 this afternoon.  Pain is kicking in, so I'm staying on pain meds until at least tomorrow.  So glad this is *hopefully* over.

• goldie4040
    edited August 2013

good news, momof3.  rest and recover

• jnprsn
    edited August 2013

Specialk, Breast surgeon recommended motrin. The compazine anti nausea helped me to eat today. Hoping the pain eases by the weekend.

• mamasixtaz
    mamasixtaz Member Posts: 156
    edited August 2013

jnprsn-I did not find relief with narcotics as much as the over the counters.  Motrin 600-800 every 8 hrs with Tylenol alternating every 8 hrs worked well for me.  So, you will take something every 4 hrs: motrin then tylenol then motrin then tylenol...Tylenol is a good pain reliever and the motrin is a good anti-inflammatory.  Wouldn't do this for more than a few days then cut back but it worked well when I came off my narcotics after bmx.

momof3-Congrats on getting through your surgery!  Rest, rest rest...healing hugs!

My TEs seem to be bugging me more again.  Thought I had gotten a little "used" to them.  The slow burning and some pangs of sharp pain has returned.  Probably overdoing at work as it's been so busy.  Really tired as well, fatigue is the worst.  Sleeping is still hard as sleeping on my side again is not comforable.  Ready for this to end.

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited August 2013

jnprsn, momof3infla and mmonflwr912, sending healing hugs post-surgeries!

For those who have been cleared by their doctors to safely take ibuprofen (Motrin) and acetaminophen (Tylenol), here is a tip from my Pharmacist DH: Take them together. He suggests 400 mg of Motrin with 500 mg of Tylenol. You may repeat this every 6 hours as needed for pain relief (so, up to 4 times a day but no more). The combination of Motrin and Tylenol taken together boosts their effectiveness. Hope that helps!

• specialk
    edited August 2013

I started doing exactly as ren suggested above - taking acetaminophen (Tylenol) and ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, etc.) together for pain.  You can also use this combination for children - particularly to bring down a high fever quickly, but give the child-specific dose.  My DS works in the emergency room and they do this all the time.

• jnprsn
    edited August 2013

Mamasixtaz, Renassus, Specialk,

Took 400 mg motrin and 500 mg tylenol when I got up this morning. Hope I can make it 6 hours.

Resuming chemo seems preferable at this point over this TE pain and issues.

• cocok
    cocok Member Posts: 12
    edited August 2013

I had a follow up appt today two weeks after exchange. Not happy with
    results, neither is the PS.  He used 286 style 15 implant. It's flat at
    the lower pole and very tight. PS only filled the TE to 280. He said I'll likely
    need another surgery. He wants me to wait a few weeks to see if the implant
    softens a bit.  But option 1 is to remove it and put the TE back in to
    stretch skin. I told him no way. 2nd option is to cut me open again, release
    the scar tissue, and put either alloderm or dermamatrix to create the
    sling.  I have no idea why he didn't use alloderm or something similar
    back in May when the TE migrated south and he had to cut me open and push it
    back up. Or why he didn't use alloderm at the exchange, given the problem I had
    in May. I plan to get a 2nd opinion on my options and want to have the
    right questions to ask. Should I be concerned that the PS didn't use the
    alloderm?
     Did your PS use a dermal matrix product?  I know there are risks involved in it.

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited August 2013

jnprsn: Let us know how you're feeling and if you notice any difference in pain relief.

cocok: Definitely get a second opinion!! Plastic surgeons do so many things, but breast reconstruction is its own animal... and it's very different from augmentation. PS's have to almost specialize in recon to be good at it (IMHO). Hopefully some of the other ladies will weigh in here. Get a 2nd opinion before you do *anything* else.

SpecialK: Hola!

• patriciahurtado
    patriciahurtado Member Posts: 85
    edited August 2013

Cocok .., yes 2nd opinion....

• goldie4040
    edited August 2013

Does anybody have recommendations on how to make these darn expanders anymore comfortable.  I am really at the end of my rope with discomfort.  I am waiting two weeks between fills now, and I am only getting 60 cc at a time.  I am rubbing bio oil into them twice a day. I live on advil or tylenol during the day, and at night I break out the valium and hydrocodone.  Three more months of this is too much to think about.

• specialk
    edited August 2013

cocok - you, like me, have an implant that is the same size as your fully expanded TE was.  I am skeptical that it will relax much - the "drop and fluff" - mine did not do it either, but they are not flat hamburger bun looking either because they are BIG!  You have a fairly small implant so I don't know if it will change much.  Also, I believe that what you have is a mid-range profile implant, which means that it projects less and sits wider.  I would agree with the ladies and advise you to seek another opinion.

ren - hola right back atcha!  How are things?