Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• patriciahurtado
    patriciahurtado Member Posts: 85
    edited August 2013

Michele2013... Thanks for always updating us and Lesley I hope that are doing ok this week and sent the family for Vacation.... Well it's my 4 week of rads .. So far skin looks good.. Knock on wood... Hopefully it will heal for Reconstruction and TE !!! Good my ladies I'm always following you!!!

• AnnBR
    AnnBR Member Posts: 345
    edited August 2013

Thanks Rennasus! I'm sure everything will turn out just fine. Ann

• jnprsn
    jnprsn Member Posts: 59
    edited August 2013

Hi ladies,

I was overfilled in both tissue expanders, so my PS took out 90 CCs in both breasts.  Now I've developed a very painful infection from the old drain site (became a pustule) and up half of my breast is red.  I'm on antibiotics.

I keep freaking myself out reading of women who had to have their TE removed and replaced due to infection.

Anyone on here have success stories of being on antibiotics only and it cleared up the infection without TE replacement?

• foreverchanged
    foreverchanged Member Posts: 21
    edited August 2013

I had several infections in the 5 1/2 months I had TE's in but spent alot of time on antibiotics.  My PS was very aggressive in treating each infection, changing the antibiotic in 2 days when it didn't get better and trying to send me right away to an infectious disease doctor who had me on three antibiotics at the same time for multiple weeks and was ready to do a PICC line for IV antibiotics before thinking about TE removal.  I have had exchange surgery with no problems since than and had nipple/ areola reconstruction surgery this past friday.  Good luck, just get it treated right away and if it ever recurs start treatment right away. 

• jnprsn
    edited August 2013

Oh that's so good to hear psychRN.  Went to the PS today.  He said I had fluid buildup around the TE and it was trying to come out the old drain site and became infected.  Seroma?  He removed a lot of fluid.  I feel some relief.  He said to watch it and come back in to see him if it happens again.  

• roadwarrior28
    roadwarrior28 Member Posts: 161
    edited August 2013

Jnprsn - that happened to me too except it eventually did reopen the drain site and started coming out. I think my drains just came out too early or were taken out the wrong way - they were taken out during surgery so who knows...

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited August 2013

Jnprsn, actually having fluid there is good. It means they can drain it and give it a chance to heal. My problem was cellulitis, which doesn't drain and is actually in the cells. That's why mine had to come out. Also I am allergic to a whole bunch of abx, do the PS was extra cautious. I have heard of many who keep TES when infected. Hang in there. Because even it it comes out, you just go on and try again LOL Much love.

• LilLadie
    LilLadie Member Posts: 22
    edited August 2013

Jnprsn- It is very possible for the infection to clear up with antibiotics. A dear friend of mine developed an infection on both the left and right sides. She was lucky and it cleared up after a week and a half. As for me, my ps put me on antibiotics for 3 days and decided the left te should be removed immediately because the infection was so bad (pain and fainting). Now I just have 1 more fill and the exchange.

With all that said, tomorrow Aug7th I will have my medi-port removed. most importantly, it is my 1 year cancer-versary!! Cancer free and loving it!

There were the many days I cried and wondered how I would get through this. Being 34 years old, 4 months pregnant, and going through chemo. I did it and am so happy I did. I wouldn't change one day because I am the person I am today because of it. We all can do it and look back at how amazing we truly are.

• jnprsn
    edited August 2013

Thank you ladies.

The fluid appears to have come back again in less thsn 24 hours of it being aspirated. The pain is back with a vengeance. Looks like I'm going back to the PS tomorrow. This can't keep happening. I will go out of my mind with the pain.

• goldie4040
    goldie4040 Member Posts: 404
    edited August 2013

inprsn, did you PS recommend compression so the seroma wouldn't build up again.  I had a small one after they took out my drains, and he drained it once, then he had me wrap myself in an ace bandage for about a week.  No more seroma.

• Lucky777
    Lucky777 Member Posts: 13
    edited August 2013

I had BMX on 6/17/13. My swelling has never gone down. I had my last fill 2 weeks ago and am waiting for my exchange surgery 4 weeks from now. Does anyone think I have lymph edema? I have swelling in the breasts both sides(2 nodes removed) left side, it continues around the sides and up the back a little as well as in the arm pits. The last two days I have a little swelling on inside of left elbow.

I have decided to get fitted for a compression sleeve on my left arm. Any advice?

• soccermomof4
    soccermomof4 Member Posts: 8
    edited August 2013

Well I still have am having issues with my right side, the skin is still quite bruised & has healed a tiny bit but  not enough. So after seeing 2 doctors yesterday , I'm kinda in a waiting game. AS they want me to start chemo soon, the area needs to heal or they will have to remove my TE so I can get the chemo. Very frustrating as I wanted to get my fills in. Just praying God will heal up that area quickly.

Lilladie - Thank you for sharing, I am so happy for you!!! It gives us all hope !! I so want to be on the other side, rather then just starting all this. God Bless!!

• moonflwr912
    edited August 2013

Lucky, make sure you see your doc before getting a sleeve.

• Binc
    Binc Member Posts: 71
    edited August 2013

Jnprsn- I have had 2 TE infections. The first resulted in TE removal last summer. It was replaced in January and I developed another infection. Both times I had a PICC line and was put on vancomycin for weeks. It didn't work for me the first time (apparently the TE itself had become infected) but the second infection cleared - so it is possible! I also had significant swelling and redness with both infections, but the fluid was never aspirated. The swelling eventually resolved itself the second time around. Good luck - hang in there!

• roadwarrior28
    roadwarrior28 Member Posts: 161
    edited August 2013

Jnprsn - even if TE has to be removed, there's light at the end of tunnel. If implants are really what you want, you just try again. The first time my left TE had to be removed and I went 6 months without. Second one worked just fine and I now have implants with no problems.

• jnprsn
    edited August 2013

Goldie4040, I am going to follow up with my PS tomorrow.  I will ask him about compresssion. Thanks!

Binc, and roadwarrior, thank you.  I'm hoping the antiobiotics work.  I've been in less pain today.

• patriciahurtado
    edited August 2013

My ladies anyone got TE replaced after rads???

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited August 2013

jnpsrn - if you look at the surgery list in the header of this thread you wil see many of the ladies had infections then successful swap, or replacement, of their TE(s).

patriciahurtado - I know DLL66 had recon issues and rads, and a LD flap.  Send her a PM.

• patriciahurtado
    edited August 2013

Specialk... Thank you so much... Ill keep everyone post too .. So far I have 17/28 radiation with no TE .... So other gals will know.....

• jnprsn
    edited August 2013

Was feeling better yesterday then wham! The right breast became swollen AGAIN. Saw PS today. The seroma will continue to return and sadly I will have the TE removed in the ER tonight and wont be replaced until after chemo is completed.

To those of you who have gone through this...please tell me what to expect?

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited August 2013

jnpsrn - I also had the one TE removed so that I could proceed to chemo, but mine was removed due to lack of healing of estensive necrotic skin on the non-cancer side.  Three emergency surgeries within six weeks did not solve the problem so the TE was removed.  Removing the TE was an easy surgery for me and I healed relatively quickly afterward once the TE was removed. My PS seemed to think that the situation was so irritated and fragile that the longer term healing process would be best and he was absolutely correct. I had the TE put back about 6 weeks after chemo was done (I was still receiving Herceptin every three weeks at that point) and all was well.  I filled very slowly to take it easy on that skin - 25cc weekly.  The TE replacement, fills and exchange surgery went very smoothly. It was difficult for me initially to look at the left side after the TE was removed - I had a skin/nipple sparing BMX and was happy to have preserved some normalcy after the first surgery.  Removing the TE took that away so it was a process of acceptance.  I never allowed my DH to see that side - it was a personal decision but I don't regret it.  He had been very involved with physically caring for me with showering and drains and whatnot, but I did not want him to be adversely affected by seeing what I looked like, even though he assured me it would be fine.  I would recommend getting fitted for a mastectomy bra and getting a high-quality prosthetic if you are interested in looking even through chemo and right afterward - these are usually covred by insurance - it is usually the most comfortable.  If your insurance does not cover you may be able to get somne help from the ACS.  I wore a lot of ruffled tops and scarves to camouflage also.  If you sew I have some instructions for how to convert a regular bra into a mastectomy bra, if you are interested.  Honestly, for me the biggest hurdle in removing the TE was not the physical adjustement - it was the emotional component.  Try not to get too wrapped up in the removal, but look forward to putting it back and getting on with your recon after chemo.  The surgery list in the topic header is full of women who were ultimately successful in the long run.  Wishing you the best!

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited August 2013

Yep, I had a BMX followed by rads & then delayed reconstruction with lat flaps. I still had healing issues, I believe due to how heavily radiated I had been in the sternum area. Luckily I had a very stubborn PS! I am very happy with my results.

• Michele2013
    Michele2013 Member Posts: 232
    edited August 2013

I feel like my radiated side TE is moving under my arm. The TE feels intact though. Has anyone experienced this?

Thank you ladies:)

• Binc
    edited August 2013

Jnprsn- I'm sorry you're joining the group among us who has had to have a TE removed. Physically, it wasn't all that difficult. I took pain meds for a couple of days, then Advil was enough to relieve the pain. My PS also decided to leave the surgical incision partially open to avoid trapping the infection inside, so I had to pack the wound. It was great fun. Thankfully, very few people seem to have to deal with that. The emotional aspect was much more difficult. I felt disheartened and defeated. I actually had delayed reconstruction to begin with specifically to avoid the infection risk- so much for that. More than anything, I just wanted to put the cancer crap behind me and the sooner I was reconstructed, the better. Alas, this whole process is pretty much beyond our control and we're just along for the ride it sometimes seems. But you will get there! (And me too, I hope!). My TE was put back in 6 months after it was removed and right now I'm waiting for my exchange in October. At that point the left TE will be in for 18 months and the right one 9 months. During the time I had one TE in and one out, I used fluff inserts to offset the imbalance and I only wore sports bras and camis. No one could tell. Do whatever makes you most comfortable to get you through. I wish you a speedy recovery!

• lesley0417
    lesley0417 Member Posts: 13
    edited August 2013

First, Thanks So Much For All Of Your Concerns, Hugs And Well Wishes! As I Write This, I Am Riding Home From Ocean City! The Morning After My Last Post, I Got My PicC Line Removed, Got Permission From My Doc And Decided To Give It Shot...YOLO! BTW, dh Refused To Go Without Me In Case I Had Surgery.wE Had To Come Home A Couple Days Early Due To It Worsening Each Day And Lots Of Blood Blisters On Breast Skin Now. I Woke Up This Morning With My Right Drain Pulled Completely Out Of My Body!!! Seriously..I Really Had To Laugh. So, Appt. With PS Tomorrow At 3:00...Probably Will Be Admitted. However, I Had 4 Glorious days And It Was Great To Feel Somewhat Normal. I Have Been Reading Your Posts Here On The Way Home, And Am Just So Touched By Your Struggles And Compassion. Hugs To All! :)

• mamasixtaz
    mamasixtaz Member Posts: 156
    edited August 2013

Jnprsn-So sorry for this detour on your journey. It will hopefully be a short detour.  Rest and heal!

Michelle- I too have some shifting of the left(cancer)side TE.  It is moving in toward the armpit and has a slight dip at the upper pole.  I think it is the muscles tightening and pulling it down and over.  I also have the lat dorsi pulling.  I told my DH the lat dorsi is trying to move back home, LOL!Foot in Mouth Can't see how it can move being so tight at 800cc!  Don't see PS again till preop appt Sept 9th.  Hope he can fix it at exchange.  

Lesley-So glad you were able to go on vacation, even if you to return a little early.  Hope you can get better soon and heal! Best wishes and many ((HUGS!!)) to all.

• moonflwr912
    edited August 2013

Leslie, glad you hot to go, even for a little bit. Hope you heal well.

J, so sorry the TE has to come out, but better out if infected. I was on IV abx for six weeks and had to delay my chemo because of it. But I got through it. Also, when you are done with chemo, DON'T RUSH TO Get a new implant. I think I got my second implant too soon, when I was too run down from chemo. But, again I am trying next Wed! LOL T

• jnprsn
    edited August 2013

SpecialK, I was very sad to have my TE removed last night but my surgeon assured me that he can replace it a month after chemo is done. The pain last night was pretty bad so they gave me morphine and something else stronger. The pain today is not bad at all.  Only took Advil.

Binc, "Alas, this whole process is pretty much beyond our control and we're just along for the ride it sometimes seems."  This is so true.  If I could just relax and accept what happens.  I look at my calendar and want to write down an end date but the delays have me moving that date.  "I can't control this" is something I need to repeat daily.  Where did you get your fluff inserts?

Moonflwr, how long after chemo until you start to recover and feel better?  I've only had one AC treatment so far.  My TE issues have delayed my next one.

• Binc
    edited August 2013

Jnprsn- I ordered a camisole online from a company called Softees. It came with the inserts- you can adjust the size by removing or adding fluff as needed. . . I also used to stare at the calendar with a definite "end date" in my mind - that was supposed have happened over a year ago according to my timeline! Oh well - lol! Relinquishing control and relaxing is much easier said than done, but you will feel much better mentally if you can get there. Remember, all this TE stuff is just temporary! . . . I agree with Moonflwr- don't rush right into getting a new TE after chemo. I only gave it a month and while At the time I thought I was strong enough to sail through the surgery, in retrospect I wonder if things would have been different if I gave my immune system a little more time to recover. . . Glad to hear your pain level is already improving!

• GreenCowgirl
    GreenCowgirl Member Posts: 80
    edited August 2013

Rennassus,  Well I have been researching the other Mayo PS and it would not be so weird as they work together but speicalize in slighltly different PS issues.  I am going to see this Dr Jacobsen as his specilaty is Breast and has lots of experience with prior rad breasts I am told. I feel bad not waiting on My PS that was int he accident but I have to put myseld first,right?  I am sick of being in pain with these te's, some days to the pont of tears. Grrrrrrr.  So I am going to get an appt and see what he has to say about it all. They work in the same clinic.  It seems so long since Feb 28 surgery, thought I would be done by now.