Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• bobogirl
    bobogirl Member Posts: 2,083
    edited April 2014

Congratulations, Lissa!  Lakegirl, how are you doing? XX

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited April 2014

Take it easy Lissa! I'm glad you are going home. You'll do fine.  Just don't forget that little clip.....

Lake how are you? 

Specialk still keeping my fingers crossed for you. 

Much love. 

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited April 2014

moon - I appreciate the crossed fingers - believe me I had mine crossed too, alas I will return to surgery in the morning because now in addition to the open skin, which has enlarged, I also have developed an infection.  Fun times!  I can't believe that after all this time - and most everyone on this thread had infections except me - I get one now.  PS is still confident that I can save the implant, so I am holding on to that.

• AZ85048
    AZ85048 Member Posts: 1,467
    edited April 2014

Aw, SpecialK, I'm so sorry that you have to go back 'under' again.  Crap.  Nasty infections!  Boo!!!   Sending you hugs and hope that this will go a little better for you.... fourth time's the charm

• moonflwr912
    edited April 2014

aw. F*ck....... well we will hope you Can keep the implant in. It just sucks. But I'll keep those Fingers crossed!

• AZ85048
    edited April 2014

Fingers, toes, whatever I've got that will still cross....ThumbsUp

• specialk
    edited April 2014

Appreciate it guys - moon, especially your f-bomb!  I feel the same, as does Mr. PS!  We apologized to each other this afternoon in his office, lol!  This makes surgery #9 on that side.  If I lose the implant, I will have to consider autologous recon.  Of course, complicating this is the fact that my husband is in South Carolina, not due to return to Tampa until Sunday.  So I have to hitch a ride to the hospital, lol!

• Previvor101
    Previvor101 Member Posts: 126
    edited April 2014

I'm sorry, Special K. Surgery number 9 sounds exhausting. Good luck!

• specialk
    edited April 2014

previvor - thanks!  Important to note that I started in 2010, so this is over 3 and 1/2 years, but I am a bit surgery-fatigued at this point!

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750
    edited April 2014

Previvor, this is her 10th! Just 9 on that side.

A dubious honor for sure. Special, I'd come get you myself if I could. My daughter lives in St. Petersburg so let me know if I need to ask her to fill in for me.

• naiviv
    naiviv Member Posts: 308
    edited April 2014

Special K,

I hope your healing is progressing.  I think my pinpoint hole is finally smaller, it will probably close the day before recon.

You mentioned your areola being smaller on TE removed side.  I have a feeling mine my TEless one has shrunk also, hard to tell because skin is sort of folded in. I think the whole breast is smaller.  . ave you discussed with any docs about it stretching back once skin is filled in. I have recon next month.  I hate to tell them to make them match and have him cut around the areola and lose the sensation I currently have. I can't see myself being lucky 2 times and retaining sensation if they remove them again, plus the fear of losing them.

Has anyone else here had the experience that you are aware of?

Thanks,

Vivian

• specialk
    edited April 2014

Sandra - OMG - that is so sweet!  I think I have it covered between friends and neighbors!

viv - I had complete recon with implants since winter of 2012, so the areola is what it is - it did stretch out from what it looked like without the TE for 7 months, but it was a bit smaller than the other side.  I had thought about an areola tattoo to enlarge it, but now know that is not in the cards due to the thin skin.  They do have the ability to pull the skin and move the nipple placement to some degree so you get the best symmetry possible.

• sandra4611
    edited April 2014

Good luck SpecialK.

• specialk
    edited April 2014

Sandra - thanks! 

• Lakegirl1
    Lakegirl1 Member Posts: 158
    edited April 2014

Specialk,...  That Sucks!!!  I am so sorry to hear yet another surgery for you!!!  Here's to hoping it works out this time...  Hugs and prayers!!!  

Bobogirl & Moonflwr...   I'm hanging in there...  Confirmed on Tuesday the daily use of Hibiclens was definitely the cause of the hives!!!  They are getting better, but any little thing will fire them up. Also, taking Benadryl every 4 hours!!!  Saw PS today. He won't do any fills while I still gave hives and still getting IV antibiotics. He finally took me out of the Ace wrap and into surgical bra. Yay, however, there is a little decorative type edge that is aggravating the hives!!!  Seriously!?!?!?!  

I thought I read about another type of bra, Genie?   Any other suggestions??  Looking for gentle, trying to lose the hives. 

• minustwo
    minustwo Member Posts: 13,306
    edited April 2014

Special K - It makes me sick to hear you're going back again.  Sure will be sending prayers & thoughts & hugs that there's a fairly easy solution.  Hard to say 'hang in there' since you've been hanging so long, but yes, fingers & toes crossed too.

• moonflwr912
    edited April 2014

Lake how about just a stretch sport bra without any trim? Good luck. 

Special 9 sx on one side? I had only 7 on one side. 2 on my right. I really don't want to do anything even if they are not near perfect. I did ask if my skin was thick enough for tattoos for nips. He said yes. So i will probably do that but not anytime soon.  Why do they always make it seem so simple? 

Much love. 

• specialk
    edited April 2014

moon - I don't know!  I had to console the PS - he took it hard. Ironically, the problem side is not the cancer side, that side looks great. Actually the other one does too except for the gaping skin and redness - but the shape with the new mesh looks wonderful. Not sure how it will look after tomorrow.

• mimi32
    mimi32 Member Posts: 1
    edited April 2014

Ladies I am posting here because I am not sure where to direct this too. I know that you have all been through complications so I'm hoping someone may have some insight. I am not writing for myself but for a friend that had a double mastectomy, tissue expanders and SNB on Tuesdays. During her surgery her blood pressure dropped and they think she had a reaction to the dye used. They kept her for an extra day just for observation. This morning she felt great but just a few hours before she was scheduled to leave she felt really warm and red all over which she describes as having a sunburn. They changed all of her medications and added a steroid. She is in more pain now then she was yesterday and her blood pressure is now 174/107.

They have not done any blood work or tests as they said nothing can detect it. I asked if they mentioned a possible reaction to the tissue expander and she said they know nothing. She's not in the best hospital in the area and I feel so bad for her. Any thoughts or advice or maybe questions to ask… 

• moonflwr912
    edited April 2014

Well DONT LOOK.  Unless they tell you that you get to keep the implant. Then you can look.  Think I'll go light a candle too! (besides keeping fingers crossed and oraying! ) LOL

• specialk
    edited April 2014

moon - that you would even think of lighting a candle for me warms my heart! Us old timers on this thread are invested in each other!!!

Mimi - warm and red all over sounds like a drug reaction, possibly antibiotic, but could be the dye.

• Galsal
    Galsal Member Posts: 754
    edited April 2014

oh SpecialK....not again!  you poor thing!!!  good thoughts and prayers

• specialk
    edited April 2014

galsal - yes, it is once again Groundhog Day, the movie, lol!  I am hoping tomorrow is it, done, finis!  Thanks for the thoughts and prayers!

• Galsal
    edited April 2014

Let me know if I can do anything for you, woman!  My special friend, coming to see me with my first surgery was such a special thing and so very appreciated!

• specialk
    edited April 2014

galsal - thanks!  I appreciate the offer!  I think I have things under control, but if I get in a bind I will call you!

• AZ85048
    edited April 2014

SpecialK - Thinking of you today and waiting with so many others to hear some news ....  I hope and pray that all is going well.

• bobogirl
    bobogirl Member Posts: 2,083
    edited April 2014

SpecialK -- thinking of you every minute!  The ninth time is the charm!  Your DH will feel extra guilty -- poor thing -- and he will spoil you rotten when he gets home.  XXXXXX 

• sandra4611
    edited April 2014

Hey, let's give the devil his due...this is her 10th surgery! Poor baby. That one side has had 9 of those 10.

• specialk
    edited April 2014

Home and doing well! Implant removed via IMF incision, skin repaired in both places up on the front of the breast, culture done - he did not see a serious infectious situation, IV antibiotic, a 100cc smaller implant placed to ease skin tension. Yay! Thanks all for the positive vibes and prayers - so far, so good!

• Galsal
    edited April 2014

glad you've been blessed with good results today, SpecialK!!  ThumbsUp