Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• tangandchris
    tangandchris Member Posts: 934
    edited April 2014

Hello TE trouble ladies! :) I wondered if this would count as a TE trouble....a seroma? I had my TE's removed back at the end of January and had my port put in early March. I now have a seroma that has been drained once and filled back up within hours of the draining. I don't know if this has any connection, but it is on the same side that my original infection was on that caused my TE Troubles. It hurts like hell and I'm scheduled to go back in next week for another draining. I have this big mass on my chest all as well, I'm being told its scar tissue.

I hate to be negative, but its like this crap never ends!!

Any of ya'll deal with seroma's or anything like this?

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750
    edited April 2014

Ha! The picture reminds me of Moonflwr showing us her "best" side and sort of "mooning" us, which in her case, is a good thing. When you get advice from Moonflwr, you've been "mooned" in the nicest way.

• Previvor101
    Previvor101 Member Posts: 126
    edited April 2014

Lakegirl, I was allowed to drive at 2 weeks post mastectomy and TE. When I asked my surgeon she said it also depends on the type of car (eg power steering etc). I didn't like hanging to do lots of turns to park because it hurt so was selective on which trips I drove. 

Tangandchris, I never had a seroma but my sister did after her surgery. She refused to get hers drained as was paranoid about introducing infection and "rode it out". It took months to clear on its own and she was very big on one side, needing a lot of padding to even it put. Good luck for your drain next week. Hoe it settles soon.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited April 2014

Sandra! Yep  I Moon a lot of people! LOL

• moonflwr912
    edited April 2014

Lake, I was on IV abx for 3 weeks followed by oral for 3 weeks each time. Driving was 2 weeks every surgery. But if you were taking narcotics no driving. So after BMX it was 3 weeks. 

Tang, I have had a small seroma. I have had bad drainage to the tune of 100 or more cc of fluid after 3 weeks. They went back in and put in a new drain after stitching up a lymph vessel that was the source of the leak. If I had not had a drain I would have had a very large fluid pocket for months. And as they like to say better out than in. So draining it beats leaving it to resolve on its own unless it's small. 

As for scar tissue I had some removed in one of my sx. It was a lymph node that was damaged and swelled up with fat so it felt like an egg. That was scary til after the radiologist looked. And I wasn't really happy till they removed it during the next sx and the pathology was good. Scar tissue is an issue for a lot of us. 

Much love. 

• tangandchris
    edited April 2014

Yeah, when they drained it last week they pulled out 90 cc's. I have a feeling I'm gonna end up with a drain again. I just thought it was strange that this popped up so long after my surgery. Who knows..I know it could be worse so I'l stop complaining :)

((hugs))

• sandra4611
    edited April 2014

Tang, yes you are right, it could be worse. Seromas can get infected and infection can mean more surgeries to remove things that had nothing to do with breast cancer! Before my infection got under control on day three, it destroyed muscles! My "one and done" surgery turned into a series of 5.

Newbies: Be familiar with possible complications and their warning signs. Am I paranoid? YES. Can it happen to you too? YES. Are drains a pain? YES, but believe me, the relief you get from getting them out too soon is not worth it if you end up with a problem.

Moon, nice owl.

• moonflwr912
    edited April 2014

Good info Sandra!

Thanks! And that is my owl that I made. It's a copper pendant. I like the edit job that made a Moon behind it. I didn't realize it as i played with the image and then I looked and my owl is on a branch in front of the Moon. LOL

• sandra4611
    edited April 2014

Impressed!

• AZ85048
    AZ85048 Member Posts: 1,467
    edited April 2014

Moon - VERY nice!  You little artiste you!  ThumbsUp

• Previvor101
    edited April 2014

Moon, that is lovely. Clever you!!

Expansion today was very unfun. Righty is now so high and big it just looks stupid. Can't move right arm without it hurting. Even my neck hurts.

Feeling sorry for myself. But, exactly as you said, it could be worse..... 

• momof3infla
    momof3infla Member Posts: 333
    edited April 2014

Special K...what the heck??  I'm so glad you're on your way to recovery though.  You've been such a rock for so many on this thread.  Now let them/us lift you up.  Rest, recover, know that it could definitely be worse.  Do you need anything?  I'm in your neck of the woods, so just shout if you need something.  I'm going to see John Hashey in Oldsmar tomorrow for round 6.  Wishing you positive healing thoughts!  XOXO

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited April 2014

momof3 - I went to the PS yesterday because I have had a horrific reaction to the tegaderm which they put over all three incisions - probably a 6x6 sheet of it.  Also the tegaderm area that covered the IV, and every EKG lead has patches of rash.  I am allergic to adhesive so now have a blistered and weeping rash on about 25 percent of me.  I filled a prescription for Atarax and I can finally sleep.  The good news is that the incisions are holding and look fine.  I appreciate your kind offer of help - I am doing absolutely nothing except laying on the bed, so I am good, but that was sweet.

• Lissab
    Lissab Member Posts: 65
    edited April 2014

I have a question? I'm wondering do they wait til both breast are healed to start your fills? I have one side healed beautifully & other is one I had surgery on a couple of weeks ago? I go to my ps today & am wondering how that works. I haven't had my 1st fill yet & my masectomy was January 14th.  My drain output on right yesterday was only 48 so I'm hoping drain comes out 

• moonflwr912
    edited April 2014

lissa. As hard as it is DONT TRY RUSHING! Really. Let yourself heal. The P'S is pretty good about knowing when to fill although some will rush. No one here has lost a foob because of going to filling to slowly. Besides if he fills only the healed one you'll be lopsided. He knows your skin the best other than you. But low and slow is best. We always want this to end and try pushing everything faster. But take your time if you don't have an overwhelming need for speed. Much love. 

• Lissab
    edited April 2014

thank you. I'm not trying to rush, just clueless about the process from here on out. I've definitely learned this is no scheduled thing, it heals & works out in gods timing. When your healed boob was healed before fill did your shape change from initial Surgery

• bobogirl
    bobogirl Member Posts: 2,083
    edited April 2014

Special K  -- OMG.  This is terrible!  You poor baby.  I hope you are comfy and having lots of snacks.

Do you need anything?  Care package?  Kid art?  :) XXXX

• moonflwr912
    edited April 2014

Oh yeah, the fills change the look every time. It's kinda cool. I had no pain and wasn't even uncomfortable until my last 2 fills. Those were nasty and I took pain pills. But by then I was walking into things bumping into doorways because there was so much of me! LOL

• Lissab
    edited April 2014

I went to ps today. He took my drain out hesitantly. I have some oozing on my right side he stitched. He took stitches out ' restitched me. He's concerned about the oozing & bc I'm still putting out more fluid than he'd like. Restricted use on right side & come back Friday. SAid not to be around anyone smoking which I'm not anyways. Praying he sees what he's wanting on Fridays visit. 

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited April 2014

bobo - I am doing fine, just kind of over it all.  This has turned into a bit of an unanticipated mess, but it will all work in the end.  I am laying low - literally on the laying!  My big event for the day was putting in a load of wash, lol!

• Galsal
    Galsal Member Posts: 754
    edited April 2014

good thoughts sent your way specialK!  no fill happened today for me.  if it feels worse or at least better, we'll do a fill on Friday.  otherwise wait until next Wednesday.  the muscle seems to be blocking things off.

• AZ85048
    AZ85048 Member Posts: 1,467
    edited April 2014

SpecialK - Isn't it about time for you to catch some kind of a break already?  Lord knows you've been through more than ten women.  So sorry to hear of your latest detour.  Laying low is a good thing - and can become habit forming! 

Winking

• Previvor101
    edited April 2014

SpecialK, lots of rest and positive thoughts

• tangandchris
    edited April 2014

SpecialK-thinking of you.....sorry to see that you are going thru all of this! ((hugs))

• moonflwr912
    edited April 2014

lissa and SK you guys take it real easy. Just rest. 

Gal, sorry they didn't start your fills. Much love to all. 

• Lissab
    edited April 2014

Thank you moonflower912.  I'm trying to take it easy. I go back Friday to dr.

• sandra4611
    edited April 2014

Lisa & SpecialK, sending you LOTS of shovels today.
  • babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited April 2014

Sandra

love it!!!
    Babs

• moonflwr912
    edited April 2014

We're going to have to translate for the new people who join us later when we'll be saying "I'm sending you 4 shovels today".....LOL

• Lakegirl1
    Lakegirl1 Member Posts: 158
    edited April 2014

Good Morning All!!!  Hope everyone is doing well and in the process of getting onto the healing!!!   I saw the Ps yesterday.  He says all looks very good, hives are gone!!!  Says we can't do any fills until the PICC line is out for at least 48 hours!!!  So that will hopefully be next week!!!   Going to ID RN today to get dressing changed again and find out about going back to work.  I have to say they have been awesome !!! Still not driving. PS says talk to ID re work and driving. So, I will talk to them again today.

I really want to start doing something, even if it is work!!!  I am trying to come to terms that I won't be able it do the things I normally do in the spring as it gets warmer. I am the one who takes care of our 1acre + yard, flowers! bushes! raking! getting it all ready for the summer. It is not uncommon for me to go outside early Sat AM and be outside literally all day and turn around and do it again Sunday!!! When it is warm and nice outside, that is where you will find me!!  I don't care who you are, being outside in REAL sunshine improves everyone's disposition!!!   

Sandra or Moon....when do they pull the PICC line. Do you have to be off the antibiotic for a period of time, then they pull it?   Also, any nausea from the antibiotic?  Yesterday I was a little "yucky". I wondered if I may have pushed it too fast. Problem is, once nausea is there, tough to kick!!!  

Sorry for ramble ...we are just finally seeing some decent weather in IL...getting antsy!!!