Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited April 2014

galsal - so happy right now - will lay on the bed and do nothing and think positive thoughts!

• AZ85048
    AZ85048 Member Posts: 1,467
    edited April 2014

SpecialK!  So glad you're home!  I'm still keeping everything crossed, but I sure do hope you're a fast healer because I'm just not quite as 'bendy' as I used to be!  Winking

• iwannaseeyoubebrave
    iwannaseeyoubebrave Member Posts: 67
    edited April 2014

SpecialK,  so happy to hear everything went well.  Please rest and wishing you a comfortable recovery!  

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750
    edited April 2014

Whew! It's a relief to hear from you. Been wondering all day. Does it look promising for healing this time? I know you are doing everything you can but is it still iffy or does the doc think you've got it this time?

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited April 2014

So glad you're doing OK Special K-here's to an easy recup!
    Babs

• Previvor101
    Previvor101 Member Posts: 126
    edited April 2014

Special K, glad to hear things things went well at surgery. Keep positive

• naiviv
    naiviv Member Posts: 308
    edited April 2014

SpecialK....

Glad to hear you are happy with results....rest and heal well.

Vivian

• specialk
    edited April 2014

viv - not sure if I am happy yet because I can't see the repair - it is covered by bandaging until next week.  I was definitely happy to see that I still had an implant there - even if he swapped it out for a smaller one - I will take what I can get!

• sandra4611
    edited April 2014

Yay SpecialK!

• specialk
    edited April 2014

Lol!

• Mommyathome
    Mommyathome Member Posts: 876
    edited April 2014

Hi ladies. I was diagnosed with a staph infection on my neck. It is swollen, red and drains. They originally put me on keflex but after getting culture back realized it was resistant to keflex and they switched me to bactrim. It's still quite large, red and draining (however the fluid is not stinky or white anymore; it's clear for the most part).  I have been on bactrim for 8 days so far, they prescribed it for 10.  I am nervous that it will cause problems with my tissue expanders/recovery. I've been pretty nauseous the past few days. I go back to my ps on Tuesday for a fill I was going to express my concern then. I've already told my ps about the staph infection and she saw the area last week and said it should be fine since I'm on antibiotic. Should I be concerned that the lump is still there, it's draining and I'm nauseous? Thanks for your input and advice 

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited April 2014

mommyathome, It can take a lot of time to drain and you're still on abx. Your seeing the Past soon so unless things get worse you're doing all you can. Take care. 

• Mommyathome
    Mommyathome Member Posts: 876
    edited April 2014

Thanks moon

• Previvor101
    Previvor101 Member Posts: 126
    edited April 2014

agree with Moon. It is draining, you are on the correct antibiotics for the bug and you have informed your plastic surgeon. You are doing everything you can do should be fine. Make sure you keep taking your antibiotics till the end of the course and don't stop early just because you feel better. 

Hang in there...

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,800
    edited April 2014

lakegirl-I had a terrible rash after one of my surgeries exactly the same place, after my expanders were replaced. . I freaked...was convinced I had inflammatory breast cancer then. PS talked me down, but he couldn't figure out what it was. Talked my dermatologist, who only does skin cancer stuff, into seeing me for it. He said it was definitely a reaction to something, put me on a really strong steroid cream, that I could only use for a week, as it can thin skin. A GODSEND! he said hopefully it wasn't a reaction to the expanders and we could get me to my exchange. To this day, we don't know. The cream helped a lot.mit took a couple weeks to go away completely.

If you still have the itchiness, tell your doc you want hydroxyzine prescription. It is the best stuff. Makes you sleepy, but the itching really is in check, and it has some calming effects also. I have some leftover that I take when I get the vaccine injection for the study I am in.  That is one huge welt that itches like fire.

SpecialK- will you keep the smaller size or swap it out when things are healed? I'm not doing anything unless I have too. I've decided. 

To everyone doing IV antibiotics....I did it three different times, via home care. One time, some friends wanted us to go out with them for what is called first Friday in an artsy area of downtown indianapolis. I was determined to go. We took a cooler with the antibiotic in it. I had to infuse over 30 minutes, via my port. We sat in the back seat of the SUV and juiced me up, lol. He was convinced the cops were going to stop and accuse him of shooting me up with hallucinogens! People gave us some strange looks, but I did not care. Our friends were laughing themselves silly.

• Lakegirl1
    Lakegirl1 Member Posts: 158
    edited April 2014

FluffQueen...oh how I wish they would let me have some type of steroid!!!   No one even considered any steroid due to the cellulitis!!!!  I will def keep your suggestion in my hip pocket should there be a next time. 

I am much better today!!!  For a few days there I was popping Benadryl like Pez!!!!   The MD's are pretty sure it was the Hibiclens!!!   However, the surgical bra the PS gave me made them worse than ever!!!   

I had some dried blood around my PICC line insertion point. Anybody had that happen ?  The on call RN said too much activity with the arm and lay low. Tomorrow I call the RN I typically work with. I'm due for a dressing change, anyway. 

• sandra4611
    edited April 2014

Yes, the area around the two sutures or the PICC line entry point can ooze a little bit. (When they do the dressing change, they have a sterile mega q tip that they will clean around those places with. Make sure they lift it and clean under it. The few times I allowed a home health nurse to do the dressing change, they didn't clean thoroughly. Not good. I went back to the hospital PICC team for correctly done weekly dressing changes.)

I had it more of this tiny bleeding this time than the last couple of times but it was not because of activity..I was in a hospital bed! Those areas are covered with sterile dressing and do not move at all no matter how active you are so I don't think your nurse is correct. I also had some small bruising this time and never did before. I alerted my PICC team about both of those things and they assured me it is normal. It's just the way it goes sometimes.

• Lakegirl1
    edited April 2014

I was thinking the same...that thing is taped down tight!!!  I will see if I can get a dressing change a day early, just to be sure all is ok. 

• Lissab
    Lissab Member Posts: 65
    edited April 2014

I'm doing great at home. I actually am feeling better than I have in a while. I'm hoping at my ps on Wednesday I get my drain out. It's been almost 3 weeks so I'm ready. The picc line isn't bad. I almost feel like a nurse lol. I'm gonna try to go into work for a little bit Tuesday. Hope everyone is doing well. 

• moonflwr912
    edited April 2014

lissa and lake, so glad you are doing better!! I really preferred a port rather than my PICC line. But they each have their place. Sometimes we just wish their place wasn't on us!!! LOL Much love

• sandra4611
    edited April 2014

Lisa and Lake, yay for you!

• Lakegirl1
    edited April 2014

Lissab ... I hope you get that thing out Wednesday !!!  At least it is a little more freedom. 

I went to MD Office, dressing changed, it had started bleeding a little more.  RN wasn't concerned.   We figured out my last dose should be 4/15!! We then wait 2 weeks to get released to get port.   Chemo will start after that.   

• moonflwr912
    edited April 2014

yayLake! Sandy where do you find these cool pics? LOL

• Lakegirl1
    edited April 2014

Seriously?!?!?  99.5 -99.9 fever this evening!!!!  WTH!!!

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,800
    edited April 2014

lake-sending some healing energy your way. I had something like that every time I went off my antibiotic for more than a couple days.

• moonflwr912
    edited April 2014

fingers crossed for you lakeg.....

• Lakegirl1
    edited April 2014

Moon & FluffQ...how long did you have to take the antibiotic???  

• sandra4611
    edited April 2014

Lake, hopefully this fever detour will go away. I've had it happen during each recovery period too. As long as it goes back down in a few hours, I don't get too worried. The rule of thumb is 100.5 means possible infection. If your 99+ readings stick around for the rest of the day (especially if you are taking a fever reducer), it wouldn't hurt to call the doctor. Normally you might not be so careful, but it could be the infection rearing it's ugly head again. 

My infection had gotten a good foothold in three days, even though other antibiotics were being tried. After the switch to Vanc, it started to turn around. I stayed on IV Vanc for a month. The last two times I have been started on Vanc in the OR. I stayed on it at home two weeks after my exchange, and 10 days after this last surgery. I didn't have an infection either time. The surgeon was just trying to prevent one. It worked, twice.

• sandra4611
    edited April 2014

Moon, I just come across fun things on the internet and save them for the right time to post them.

• Lakegirl1
    edited April 2014

Sandra4611...I don't want to act paranoid...but as you would probably agree...I have worked too hard to get this far!!!  Thank you for all your advice. 

Also, question for all...when did you get released to drive?  I still am not driving. It is making me stir crazy!!!  Though, it is probably helping to keep me laying low when I should be!!!  Also, no narco pain meds, so that isn't a factor. 

I love the pic above!!!   It is how I feel in the hospital when I have to wear the dumb gown!  When I figured out to wear gym shorts with the built in underwear...I felt much better!