Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited April 2014

Lake I never had nausea from the abx. But of course I got Diarrhea..... LOL of course I did. Glad you are feeling better. Usually after you see the ID doc they're the ones who decide if you need it in yet. But i was put on oral abx after and so could not start chemo til I was done with that. Much love. 

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750
    edited April 2014

The PICC comes out when you don't need it for IV antibiotics anymore. Not sure why your doctor won't do fills. I had my PICC and still got fills. It's the same as having a port and some people use PICCS for chemo instead of having a scar on their upper chest from a port. As long as it's kept sterile, you can keep a PICC line for a year or more. Since a port is buried under your skin, you don't have to worry about weekly sterile dressing changes and keeping it free from infection. So from a doctor's point of view, a PICC should come out as soon as it's not needed.

Actually I kept my PICC for an additional month after I stopped IV Vanc because I was getting treatment for anemia which required iron infusions and frequent blood draws. My Hemotologist was very happy I had a PICC. My PS wanted it out and fussed about it every week when I went in for fills. Right after my last infusion it was pulled. You have to keep it covered and sterile for 24 hours until the skin closes up around the little hole. Then you can shower - no shower sleeve! Feels great.

• Lissab
    Lissab Member Posts: 65
    edited April 2014

my ps was pleased with my incision today. Not much drainage & that made him happy!!! So I'm hAppy hAppy!! I have 3 more days of meds for my picc line ' he said he's gonna schedule me to get it out. Woohoo. 

• Lakegirl1
    Lakegirl1 Member Posts: 158
    edited April 2014

Sandra...Thank you do much for  the info!!!

Hopefully, they will pull the PICC tomorrow. That being said, we will also start making appts to start the next leg of this journey, MO appt, gen surgeon for port, Etc.  Once we meet with MO, will know when/if I will need to start planning for losing my hair and going back to work.  

Good news hives are gone I have taken the Benadryl out of the Pez dispenser!!!  

• sandra4611
    edited April 2014

Mike and I are flying to Chicago on Wednesday for a week to visit our oldest daughter. If any of you lives in the vicinity. please let me know. I'd love to meet you.

• moonflwr912
    edited April 2014

Sandra I am about 2 1/2 hours away from Chicago.  I might just take a long drive....

• sandra4611
    edited April 2014

Moon, I would LOVE to see you. We get in Wednesday evening. Nothing is planned until Friday night. We are going on a Weird Chicago tour - Roaring 20's/Gangsters/Prohibition...should be fun. We will be in Evansville on Easter Sunday for church and brunch but free the rest of the day. Other than those two things, we are free to play. I could meet you half way. ???

• moonflwr912
    edited April 2014

I'll pm you with ideas. 

• sandra4611
    edited April 2014

• Lissab
    edited April 2014

well I thought everything was going good. Woke up today with some drainage on right side. Didn't think much of it, this afternoon was trying on a shirt & rights swollen & red with blueish color at incision & what looks like a big pimple starting. I just finished IV meds yesterday. I called dr this afternoon & he wants me there at 8;30 in the morning. Can we post pics on here to let y'all look or not? I'm worried. 

• sandra4611
    edited April 2014

Yes, post pictures. Sounds like maybe the antibiotic you were on needs to be changed.

• moonflwr912
    edited April 2014

lissa I'm sorry. It doesn't sound good. Looks like you might need more abx. But I'll keep fingers crossed so that the TE will stay. Hugs. 

• moonflwr912
    edited April 2014

Just a reminder details about pics. You might place a pic for a while but then delete later. These are open forums and the pics will be too. Just so you know its not like the picture forum which is a closed area. Some people don't care others will delete after the friends they want to see it have looked. But just fyi. 

• Lissab
    edited April 2014

• Lissab
    edited April 2014

• Lissab
    edited April 2014

just left my ps. He said the troubled area was a bulge of fluid. He drained some out with needle & took sutures out. He squeezed on that side for 20 minutes. Got lots of fluid out. Doesn't see infection today but wants me back Friday bc it could start soon he said with all the fluid I'm having. Called me in Antibiotics cream to put on area. For some reason my bodies not absorbing the fluid like most do. He said on FridAy if not better we may go Ahead & take expander out. I'm praying it's better. Has anyone else had problems with the fluid build up?

• moonflwr912
    edited April 2014

lissa, a lot of people have fluid buildup. My P'S left my drains in longer than most. But i didn't have that a at my exchange. Others should pop in later. Hugs. 

• Lissab
    edited April 2014

I've had drains twice. He really didn't want to take them out but was afraid of getting another infection from the drain. He has me on a low-sodium high protein diet to try to help with some of the fluid. My left-side did so good but for some reason this right side will not heal. 

• Mommyathome
    Mommyathome Member Posts: 876
    edited April 2014

Lisaab,

Hi. I had fluid build up also and needed to be "drained" twice after my drains were removed. It was always on the non cancer side. I also needed to have stitches opened on the incision and ps pushed, literally pushed the fluid out. It was awful. I had a small hole at the base of my vertical incision that seemed to never heal. The bs did the first "drain" by using a needle.

• Lissab
    edited April 2014

mommyathome 

That's the exact thing with mine. Did yours finally heal up? I've had expander taken out & cleaned & put back in & was in hospital 1 week on IV meds. Came home with picc line & did 2 more weeks IV meds. Only been off 2 days. He doesn't see infection just lots of fluid. Friday he will decide if we're gonna tAke it out or keep trying. WhAt happened with yours? 

• Lissab
    edited April 2014

my ps told me to squeeze my breast to get out fluid. He didn't say how often? Anyone Else that's done this, please let me know how often you do it & is there a way to know how long to squeeze? 

• foreverchanged
    foreverchanged Member Posts: 21
    edited April 2014

Lissa- I had a bit different situation where after I had nipple and areola reconstruction with some excess tissue removal on both breasts at same time.  I had no drains after this procedure until I began spontaneously draining from an old drain site that reopened from the pressure 8 days postop.  My PS had told me to push on it in the shower which I did but was also making so much fluid I did more than once a day into the sink for several days until hole finally closed up.  I would only push gently enough as long as fluid is coming out. I believe I removed the fluid everytime I did a dressing change. Always safest to get specific instructions from your PS.  Hope this heals up quickly for you!

• Mommyathome
    Mommyathome Member Posts: 876
    edited April 2014

Lisaab, 

Yes, mine healed. She wouldn't do a fill till it closed though. It took awhile I think my first fill was at like 5-6 weeks. Good luck I'll be thinking of you

• moonflwr912
    edited April 2014

I'm sorry about you have to worry snout it lissa. 

One thing they suggest that for draining wounds is you can use sanitary napkins cut in half if you want to soak up the drainage because it is cheaper than other absorbent pads. 

• Lissab
    edited April 2014

thank y'all so much. I'm doing it with my dressing changes now. Still getting. Pretty good amount but I'm thinking ours better than in. I hope anyways 

• MereMere
    MereMere Member Posts: 74
    edited April 2014

Im sorry for your fluid problems.  Mine have been different too.  After the first set of drains where pulled i had and still have pain and buldges along the bottom of my TE.  Both docs said it was fluid build up and it would disolve but its still there 8 wks later.  It has to be scartissue or a peice of donor tissue that came down the track when the PS pulled the drains out.  I can start at the hole and follow the pain/buldge line up the bottom of my foob about an inch high.....

• Lakegirl1
    Lakegirl1 Member Posts: 158
    edited April 2014

Lissab...how are things going today??  I hope you will be seeing improvement soon!!!   

Mere mere...fluid is annoying. I had a seroma after my lumpectomy that sounded like a waterbed sloshing when I walked!!!  It was very strange!!!!  However, it was "re-absorbed" before my bmx about 6 wks later.   If you haven't already, may want to ask PS again...

• AZ85048
    AZ85048 Member Posts: 1,467
    edited April 2014

Moon / Sandra - When and if you're able to meet up in Chicago, please get a picture to post.  ThumbsUp

• NJmomof3
    NJmomof3 Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2014

Lissab,

What did the bulge look like?  Was it localized in one spot or did you have overall swelling? I'm asking because I think I'm having a problem. I have overall swelling on the left side. I am 3 months past my BMX surgery. On 4/14, I did something - ripped a muscle maybe while at the grocery store around 3pm. I didn't feel anything initially, but by 5pm I was in screaming pain. I took some pharmaceutical ibuprofen and on 4/15 I went to my regular PS appt for my final fill.  By that time my left side had swollen to about 1 1/2 times the size of the right side, but there was no redness or obvious bulging.  My PS didn't notice any swelling, but didn't do the final fill because of my pain. I showed him where it hurt and when he probed the quarter-sized lump at the upper outer area of my left side up near my armpit - I nearly hit the roof. I felt like he had just stabbed me with a knife.

Has anyone ever had a muscle tear around a TE?  I've done lots of stuff since my surgery, but I'm guessing that getting a 6-pack of water one-handed off the shelf and putting it in my shopping cart was somehow awkward and I strained something. How long does it take to heal from one of these injuries?

The pain is subsiding - today is 4/18, but the swelling is still here. 

• Lissab
    edited April 2014

I just touch my boob & fluid starts oozing. It's coming more from bottom of my boob than anywhere else. He has me squeezing & when I push from bottom it pours out. My incision area looks like it wants to heal but my fluid comes out there. I go today at 11. My boob feels super hard and "full" so you know by look or feel it's time to drain. Not sure why it's not slowing down any. I wonder if a 3rd drain is an option?