Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• Mommyathome
    Mommyathome Member Posts: 876
    edited May 2014

Sandra,

I've had 4 c sections. They took awhile to recover from but I had a baby to distract me.... I'm getting no baby from this one lol. Hoping they won't find anything crazy in there; they suspect adenomyosis. Hoping recovery is ok too. My son plays in a baseball tournament out of state  10 days after my surgery, I really wanted to go!!! It's like a 3-4 hour ride. I have a Pre op on June 10 I'm going to see what dr says....

• sharons
    sharons Member Posts: 177
    edited May 2014

thanks SpecialK

I have the bone joint issues, but not as bad as those on tamoxifen with the first cancer. 

Today's pain is less, hope I can move around more tomorrow. I head back to hyperbaric at 0800 

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited May 2014

mommyathome - a trip like that at 10 days is ambitious, but not impossible. You may not know until the time comes. I did fly out of town to a funeral, for a long time friend who was a BC sister, about 10 days after exchange. My husband carried all the bags in the airport, but that was an easier surgery.

• Mommyathome
    edited May 2014

Thanks special k. Ya I really don't want to miss my son playing in the tournament, but know I have to be good to myself to heal to be ready for work. I think only time will tell is what I'm going to have rely on.... 

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750
    edited May 2014

Mommy, since you've had so many C-sections, you know what to expect after abdominal surgery. Recovery from the hysterectomy will go fine, I'm sure. Also because of the recovery after breast surgery, you know that taking it easy makes all the difference in your recovery. You may be just fine going to your son's tournament at 10 days, especially if you do nothing but sit there and take a break for a nap now and then. Good luck!

Although pain was the big issue when I had my abdominal hysterectomy, I was in a depleted state going in because of loss of blood over the previous year. That sure didn't help me cope with pain during recovery. I managed to donate one unit of blood ahead of time but was turned away for the second one because my counts were too low. In surgery I lost more blood and the one unit I'd donated just wasn't enough. My doctor didn't want to use blood from the blood bank, so he told me one unit would have to do and that I'd build up more within two weeks. No wonder I was pretty weak afterwards! I had to have friends come to "babysit" every day for the first week at home. We took a vacation to Disney World at 6 weeks post-op and I was fine, but couldn't have done the same thing at 3 or 4 weeks. It takes time to recover, especially when you aren't in the best shape to begin with. 

• Mommyathome
    edited May 2014

Thanks special k. Ya I really don't want to miss my son playing in the tournament, but know I have to be good to myself to heal to be ready for work. I think only time will tell is what I'm going to have rely on.... 

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited May 2014

amen to that Sandra! "It takes time to recover, especially when you aren't in the best shape to begin with." Um. Yeah! Sx of the month club is no fun. Each one gets harder! Recovery longer. But Mommy be sure to take it as easy as you can for the fastest recovery. 

Much love

• Xinghong
    Xinghong Member Posts: 84
    edited May 2014

Hi ladies I had LD flap withTE surgery on left side and TE only on right side 1 week ago. I had some cough after surgery and now I feel pain under the TE on the left side when I have deep breath or cough. Is it normal?

• specialk
    edited May 2014

xinghong - what kind of pain are you having?  Is it sharp when you cough, or more of a soreness?  It is normal to have soreness or pressure, a feeling of not being able to take a really deep breath, and sometimes a pinching feeling.  Something may be impinging on a nerve, or since your TE are not full yet, just the hardness of the firm back may be pressing on something.  These things are all normal.  If your pain continues you should let your surgeon know.

• moonflwr912
    edited May 2014

specialk when is your sx? Do you know yet? 

• KLJ
    KLJ Member Posts: 79
    edited May 2014

I'm bringing my questions to the experts once again! I am having the same pain that Xinghong describes. Yesterday was so bad that I canceled my fill appt. for today. I have talked to my surgeon about the fact that even just the 60 cc fills leave me in such pain. His answer has always been "take Tylenol". However, I have not yet been stern with him and said that is not enough which I am going to do at my next appt. His nurse always tells me that he is just very conservative. I love the results that I am getting from his surgery so far and don't want to change doctors because of this. Does anyone have any other suggestions as to other things that might help? I use a heating pad on my shoulders which spasm after each fill. That only lasts a day or two, but the pain when I cough, hiccup, or take a deep breath is sometimes to the point of bringing me to tears. Today happens to be a good day and had I not canceled my fill appt. would probably have gone but I'm glad I'm not. I sure would love some input from all of you. Are there some stretching exercises that would help? I don't want to stay in a "drugged" state from muscle relaxers but if there is something stronger than Tylenol that I can still function on I would love to know about it. I want to go to my next appt. armed with some knowledge. Or maybe I'm just being a big baby?

• specialk
    edited May 2014

moon - Friday at 9:00 am

klj - you can get even smaller fills - I did 25cc at a time, I did not have to use any muscle relaxers at any point, or pain relief, and that was after six surgeries.  You can ask for a referral for PT with a lymphedema certified PT.  I did this due to lymphedema while I had TE initially, but also returned for more PT after exchange.  Particularly effective were exercises that stretched back, chest and shoulders.  I got excellent stretching from laying with a foam cylinder along my upper spine so that my shoulders dropped lower than my chest, but I would caution you to see someone who is certified.

• naiviv
    naiviv Member Posts: 308
    edited May 2014

Hello all,

Last couple of days have been crazy with appts and pre-surgery tests and still a few more pending. Need to catch up, I hope all are well.

I am scheduled for my DIEP and robotic hysterectomy at same time.  I will be recovering with DIEP incisions, but am told that robotic hysterectomy is much easier recovery than abdominal. Although you still have to let the insides heal, you are able to move sooner with much less pain. The lower muscles are not cut in robotic. I am seeing Lambrou one of the top robotic guys in So FL. He has a waiting list, I got in with help of PS and Onc.  Both of my surgeons have worked before together doing this same operation. It shouldn't be a complicated procedure my only issue is the adenomyosis and due to the chemo my Uterus has shrunk about 4cm which is a good thing for removal via robotics. But hormone levels are showing pretty normal and they believe once I start menstruating it may increase in size again. And I bleed very heavily when I do, which makes me anemic right away.  I should be menopausal, but my ovaries don't seem to want to retire. Because of DIEP I will be in hosp 4-5 days.   

Will keep you all posted.  Momma it might be worth the wait for robotic?? I can tell you after 5/21.

Vivian

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited May 2014

Well that sucks, SpecialK. Anything I can do for you--like bring you a big bottle of Dewar's or anything else?

• moonflwr912
    edited May 2014

klj, I went in every 2 weeks when they hurt. Gives your body time to adjust. Get a smaller fill as well. You don't win a prize to gave the fills done the fastest. I got fills of 100 except for the last two which really hurt. The P'S even had trouble pushing in the fluid. He said that's how he can tell we were close to full. But try ice? And after the TEs are full the pain Will Go away and the Squishies Will Be MUCH Easier.  MUCH LOVE.  

• activern
    activern Member Posts: 111
    edited May 2014

There are quite a lot of pages here; I scanned through and looking for experiences with TE infection.  Anyone wants to share?  I have unknown low-grade temp last night and I think repeating itself today with body aches especially upper back.  I know it is not the flu or pneumonia since I have no cough [even though pneumonia can sneak up unsuspectingly].  But upper back hurts and then the fever comes.  I can also have bone pain from bone mets in the upper back but recent scan is negative for new recurrences.  In other words: SCREAM!!  I had original TE placed in October of last year; left one collapsed and replaced later winter.  The plan is to have the permanent inserts placed later this year.BawlingBawling

• moonflwr912
    edited May 2014

Is the TE red? Or warm? Do you have the chills? If not keep yours eyes on it. If your temp goes up. Call your PS. Some P'S will try to save the TE. Some will just remove it fast. Mine liked to get them out right away. Inspect your scar Line for any openings or dark spots. Maybe you want to measure yourself to see if you are swollen and or continue to swell. Call your PS if you are worried. Just for a heads up. Find out if he will plan on keeping it and fighting an infection or pull it out. Not fun but it is doable. A lot of us have had infections you want to be proactive. Bad things can happen if an infection takes hold and isnt caught fast enough. Much love. 

• specialk
    edited May 2014

dll - Lol!  I like your suggestion - we could toast to the two past, and one future, TE & two past, and one future, implant!  You are a sweetie to offer some Scotch - too bad it can't fix this, right?

• Mommyathome
    edited May 2014

Nope, can't wait for robotic. Earliest they had was August 1. That only gives me 3 weeks to be ready to go back to work. Good luck let me know how it goes

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited May 2014

Too bad, indeed. We can toast to having a stubborn PS in your corner as well...

• specialk
    edited May 2014

dll - yes, the man is tenacious!  He is also taking this very hard and might need some scotch too. If you would like to come over and drink, you know where I will be hanging out!

• Ninany
    Ninany Member Posts: 12
    edited May 2014

KLJ, I got off the Valium (for muscle relaxing) pretty well with Aleve.  Which is also a muscle relaxer.  My PS told me to take 3pills @600 mgs at a time.  It works for me. Tylenol just helps pain, swelling, fever etc I think.  And no, you're not a big baby, everyone has a unique experience with this weird stuff. 

• Galsal
    Galsal Member Posts: 754
    edited May 2014

Date of surgery - May 23rd 0730 at North Tampa Outpatient Surgical Center     Or sooner if an opening happens.

• KLJ
    KLJ Member Posts: 79
    edited May 2014

SpecialK and Moonflwr thanks for the suggestions. I thought all day about canceling the appt and whether I should have or not but I am glad I did. I am sure I will feel better next week. I am definitely not trying to win a race so smaller fills may be the answer. All I want to be able to do is hold my new grandbaby that is due the end of June. So if fills are done by then and all I have to do is wait for the exchange and cuddle the new guy until then I will be happy! Especially if the final fills make me feel so much better like you say moonflwr. That's all I want is to be able to help my daughter with the new baby and get lots of cuddle time with him. Out of 6 grandchildren this will be the first one that has lived close enough to us for us to be there every day! Can't wait!

• Xinghong
    Xinghong Member Posts: 84
    edited May 2014

SpecialK and Monica, thank you for your reply. It's a feeling that TE press on the chest wall when I inhale deeply and cough. I felt better since yesterday. Also I asked my PS and she said it's normal and will get better when I have more fills.

KLJ, I found it got better when I didn't cough and try to breathe deeply several times. I found it's helpful. I hope you will feel better soon.

• denise4603
    denise4603 Member Posts: 61
    edited May 2014

Best of luck to you SpecialK!

• specialk
    edited May 2014

denise - thanks!  I will be letting all know how this goes, since I have to repeat the TE experience again.  Not looking forward to it but I don't think it will be as prolonged as it was last time.

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,800
    edited May 2014

sending you positive healing energy Special K!

• specialk
    edited May 2014

fluff - thanks!  I will report in!

• moonflwr912
    edited May 2014

specialk, thinking of you today. Fast healing! Much love.