Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited April 2014

I was jealous of her tshirt. I need to get the one with the crystals too! LOL.  It's so cool! I'd seen the printed ones but none worthy of me..... LOL

• AZ85048
    AZ85048 Member Posts: 1,467
    edited April 2014

Yes, you're most definitely a bling kind of gal!  Nerdy

• denise4603
    denise4603 Member Posts: 61
    edited April 2014

Hi Ladies!

I have not been on for awhile because I went back to work. (Huge mental health improvement from that) and am too tired at night to log on.  But this is school vacation so I am off and have caught up on all I have missed.

Welcome to the new members and so sorry that you have to join us. I am one of the tissue expanders failures and would be happy to chat with anyone who needs a friend in the same shoes.

Since I last posted my open wounds are slowly healing though I still have to pack them every night.  I had one more infection of the left side and luckily antibiotics knocked it out this time. I joined a research study for bc survivors who have gained weight. I am getting herceptin every 3 weeks and using the arimidex pills. I am not yet willing to discuss any further reconstruction options with my PS. It's going to take time.

I was very sad to read about the recent developments with Special K. You have had such a rough run my girl. It sounds like things are getting better and I hope that is true.

I loved the picture of Monica and Sandra!  How great that you two got to actually meet in person. 

I am so grateful to all you for being there for me through this journey.

Denise4603

• Galsal
    Galsal Member Posts: 754
    edited April 2014

Sadly, I was in a small auto accident today.  The seat belt hits at the wrong spot for the Right side that's already been having it's own trouble.  Thankfully was seeing PS this afternoon anyway.  We're keeping an eye on it - some thing might have been pulled. 

• moonflwr912
    edited April 2014

Den. LOLise Hi! Glad to see you back. Sorry yo hear you are still packing! Yuck

Galsal. So sorry about the as ccident! I'd freak too! Here's hoping everything stays calm in the TE dept. 

Much love to all. 

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750
    edited April 2014

Moon & Sandra, April 21, 2014

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited April 2014

galsal - crap!  Hope everything is OK!

• Galsal
    Galsal Member Posts: 754
    edited April 2014

So far, so good.  No bruising.  Still painful though, as if I'd had breast surgery - you know, when you bend over, certain movements, very deep breaths, etc.  I'm quite thankful for Flexeril about now!

• moonflwr912
    edited April 2014

Here's hoping it stays calm. Lissa still hoping you heal fast. 

• Lissab
    Lissab Member Posts: 65
    edited April 2014

I should get my drain out tomorrow. Crazy question, but do y'all stuff your bra for those who are missing breast on one side? I have a special occasion coming up in 2 weeks & my dress in strapless & fit perfect before this. What should I do for it now?

• moonflwr912
    edited April 2014

lissa you can be fitted for a prosthesis.  Or you can buy stuffers. They also have prosthetics that adhere to your skin. If yours is strapless that might be the kind you want. You can order online try TLC. but it's easier to be fitted at a store nearby. They cost a lot but insurance will usually pay for 1 every other year. I had to buy 2 different sizes because I had a half filled one and one empty. You can take your dress with you if you want to see it it will work. Much love and luck!

• specialk
    edited April 2014

lissa - depending on where you are if there is a Hope Lodge or American Cancer Society office they may have a "gift closet" which stocks prosthetics.  When I lost my TE my insurance would not cover the prosthetic (they are kind of expensive) since they deemed me a reconstruction patient. I went to the Hope Lodge and received one from them for free.  Glad I still have mine because I may be needing it soon!  I know that Nordstrom stocks them, as well as mastectomy shops, and they can fit you - I would take your dress.  Even if you don't get a stick on one, I think they also have some two sided tape you can use to help secure the form to your skin.

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited April 2014

Ladies, this is the first time I'm reading your posts this month. I logged on about a week ago but didn't have time to read all the posts. I just did. Whoa!!

I am shocked, SPECIALK! I had no idea you went back in for revision surgery and then had trouble and an infection and holes and thin skin issues — again. I truly hope things go smoothly from here on in for you! I will add you to the list up top. 

I apologize for not keeping that surgery list up-to-date; I know it helps others to know what people are going through and can scan it for women having similar issues. Anyone who has had surgery and has been posting here, please PM me so I can add you to the list since I do not check this site that often anymore. SPECIALK You have given me cause for pause about doing anything to fix my lopsidedness. I'm not sure I could mentally/emotionally/physically deal with healing issues again.  {{{hugs}}} to you, you are a strong lady!

Lissab: So sorry about all you have been through. I had a lot of fluid buildup along with delayed incision healing and I remember having to press on the foob to express the built-up fluid. Lived with that for 5 months before PS finally took out the TE. I healed up like a charm without that thing in there! Had no further issues after that; got a new TE 5 months later, and had a couple of tiny holes in incision line but they healed. My PS said I am a fluid producer, that's how my body reacts, so I had drains for every surgery, including exchange. We all are different and we all react to TEs differently. The good news is that you are not alone. You unfortunately have plenty of company on this thread.

Good luck to everyone and a shout-out to Moon and Sandra: Yay that you guys got to meet up! How fun!!!

• Lissab
    Lissab Member Posts: 65
    edited April 2014

I feel so much better with it out. I've become a master at stuffing my bra. I'm still bandaged so I haven't seen in incisions. I honestly can't believe how good I'm feeling with it out. I guess you don't realize how bad those bad TE's make you feel. I go back to dr Friday to change bandages. Thanks for all your support. 

• AZ85048
    edited April 2014

Lissab - I'm so happy that you're feeling better!  I swear, when I see your name come up on the TE Trouble thread, I get nervous.  So glad it's good news this time!  Winking

• specialk
    edited April 2014

ren - it was a shock for sure, and a bit of a nightmare this long after my previous problems with healing. Now it is looking like I will lose the left implant for the summer.  Good thing I kept my forms and prosthetics.  And wigs, but I'm not going there!!!  When I get a new implant on the left, I will also swap the non-troublemaking righty (the one that had cancer!) for a matching smaller one.  It is actually a lot more comfortable.  Think carefully about less than mandatory surgery if you have had healing issues in the past - I never saw this coming and my PS is tearing his hair out!

• sandra4611
    edited April 2014

Special, well crap. Sorry you will lose the implant. I was hoping you'd be able to heal this time.

• Previvor101
    Previvor101 Member Posts: 126
    edited April 2014

I'm sorry to hear that you will lose the implant SpecialK. Rest and heal!

• jenwith4kids
    jenwith4kids Member Posts: 216
    edited April 2014

I had my TEs placed on 2/14 - had a decent fill on the table and then two subsequent also decent fills before stopping for chemo which I started on 3/20.  Over the last week or so I have noticed that the TE on the left side has a soft spot - sort of like the top of a newborn's head.  It's squishy.  The had been very full and stiff - I remember commenting that I felt like I could pop them with a pin.  Not sure if my muscles have finally loosened up enough that things are just starting to settle in comfortably or if this warrants a call to the doc.  Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Jen

• moonflwr912
    edited April 2014

It doesn't hurt to call the Doc. If it's not a problem you will relax if it is the beginning of something then you get it early. Call the doc.

• specialk
    edited April 2014

Jen - I'm inclined to think that what you are feeling is the unoccupied part of your TE. Unless it is fully filled to its cc capacity you have a portion that may feel like a bubble. I think as your pectoral muscle has relaxed, which is the purposely the TE, that unfilled area may seem more apparent. I agree that if you are questioning what it is though you should contact your PS  for a quick exam.

I just left the base hospital (DD had an appointment) and got a glucose and A1C done to double check whether that might be impacting my healing. Decided I wanted that info, and possibly a second opinion, before I let them take the implant.

• sandra4611
    edited April 2014

Fight on, Special. Even if it does have to come out, you'll have the peace of mind that you did everything you could and got a second opinion as well. Little comfort, I know. Cancer is a bitch.

• theBCavenger
    theBCavenger Member Posts: 172
    edited April 2014

Special K - it's been like a year since I've logged on, and have since changed my screen name, so not sure if you'll remember me. Used to be DM13.

Very sad to hear you have had to go through more healing issues... Your last line struck a cord in me... I had healing issues in the past, and just had revision surgery, where we did some fat grafting and added alloderm to the top part of implant. Now have drain for 2nd week. Anyway, looked at foob yesterday, and where the alloderm was added is red... so worried.

I elected to have this surgery as the cancer side always look so bad with massive ripples. I can tell that if my body accepts the alloderm I am going to be thrilled... looks so good. But if I have to start all over.... well major worries about my choice going on right now! 

• specialk
    edited April 2014

Of course I remember you!  How have you been?  Sorry to hear that you may having issues, and I hope they resolve with no further action.  My problems are with the non-cancer side - always have been.

Sandra - second opinion doc refuses to see me since I am "under the care" of one of her colleagues - wtf?  If I had indicated that I was leaving my current PS she would see me.  Not sure if I will try to find another PS to take a look.  I do trust my doc, just looking for either consensus or disagreement so I feel more comfortable in thinking this is the only option, or if someone has a new idea!  I am frustrated!

• sandra4611
    edited April 2014

Special, well that just sucks! Why are some doctors like that? Second opinions should be easy to get, not this emotional blackmail scam where he won't touch you unless you give him your right arm. I'll be in town in 12 days so if you'll hold him down, I'll beat him up.

TheB, welcome back...although it's a shame in a way. Your list of surgeries is too long already, now you may be facing healing issues. Come here and let me give you a hug.

• jenwith4kids
    jenwith4kids Member Posts: 216
    edited April 2014

I called the doc....he said he would see me if I wanted, but that what I was describing sounds just fine! Seems like my TEs did their job... My pecs are in good shape!

Thanks for the opinions.

Jen

• AZ85048
    edited April 2014

SpecialK - Sandra's right - that just sucks!  And if you two do get together to smack your PS around a little, will you please post the video?  That's something a lot of us would like to see...(or do).  Winking

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited April 2014

Shoot, SpecialK! Healing issues suck!! So sorry you are still fighting to heal. Is it circulation-related or unknown why it isn't healing?

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,800
    edited April 2014

Special-geez, I thought all was going ok and just caught up on all the pages. I am so sorry! Adarax is wonderful though. I hope the rash is gone. That got me through the terrible rash I had. I take the leftovers with me when I get my vaccine injection also. It helps at night. (the itching and then hotel room weirdness always get to me). I will say that I am glad I went smaller. It is much easier to maneuver, and I can sleep on my stomach.

Renn-I was all set to tell my PS I wanted him to tweak some things when I see him this fall. I am pretty sure that I am going to be happy with what I have right now.

Lissa-for a prosthesis, it didn't appear that my insurance company would cover something for just the three months while waiting to start over (although I didn't really pursue it). I ran across a transvestite/cross dressing site and ordered mine from there. I swear they were the same things, and LOTS cheaper. Plus, it makes for a great story!

• specialk
    edited April 2014

The problem is not with my PS - it is with the one I was seeking a second opinion from - a female doc with a great rep who is treating one of my best friends.  This doc is not a stranger, I went with my friend (she is 35 and single, fam is not nearby) to her BMX consult, saw the doc at the hospital day of surgery, and on the day of discharge.  She was aware that I am a BC/recon patient, but won't cross her ethical line and give me an opinion on this situation.  She may be afraid that I am seeking info from her to come after my current PS with a malpractice charge, which is not at all my intent.

dll - when he put in the new allograft I had two areas of skin that appeared to be non viable - they are in the area that was excised three times when I had a TE, and ultimately caused me to lose the TE.  I healed just fine once I had the TE removed, and that is his theory this time.  Remove the implant, heal, then sneak it back in.  So, on Mar. 7th he put in the new TIGR mesh allograft, excised these two non-viable area, stitched them with dissolvable stitches, and put my implant back in.  The stitches dissolved immediately and the skin would not close.  So on Apr. 2 I went back to surgery, he took the implant out, stitched inside, stitched the outside with Frankenstein stitches, and put a 100cc smaller implant in so as not to stress the skin.  The top incision abeam the nipple to the cleavage, the larger of the two at about 2" closed, looks great.  That one had been completely open previously.  The little one between the nip and the IMF, which was closing better than the other one, is partly open at the end of the incision line toward the nip.  Less than a dime size.  No idea why.  I did have a fasting blood sugar and A1C done today to see if I have any issues there - my blood sugar has never returned to normal since chemo, but nobody has ever checked my A1C because the fasting glucose is not that high - but it is above the high end of the normal range.  It might explain things if it is elevated.

fluff - how many boosters do we have left?  I know, I can apparently never have a simple surgery - I have one and get several bonus ones!  I am such an overachiever - in the most wrong way, lol!