Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited May 2014

moon - I am home, implant out, open area stitched closed, all appears to look good according to the doc.  Hopped up on steroids they gave by IV - nurse anesthetist first tried to set the IV in my LE arm - I was like WTF are you doing?  Did you read my chart?    She got pissy, then she blew the vein in my hand, ended up setting it in my wrist - hurt like a mutha - PS is standing by glaring at her.  Then she tried to tegaderm the IV site - again, did she read my chart where it says "allergic to tegaderm", I think not. The she tried to give me Zofran after I had already said it does not work for me - she asked if I just get nausea from anesthetic - I said no I know Zofran does not work because I had six rounds of chemo - that shut her ass up. I was in a feisty mood - the anesthesiologist was an a-hole, so I gave as good as I got with him, PS was amused.  We joked about having to live in a bubble - DH brought up the Trifexis commercial with the beagle who lives in the tube system - he says he will build one for me - he and PS cracked up.  Glad it is done - I was getting a little anxious last night, and could not find my stash of fluffy pads and assorted bra fillers and the prosthetic I used last time - finally unearthed it in my closet.  Talked to a fitter locally who said that they won't fit me until I am completely healed - we have a party on 5/31, so I need to be ready for that.

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited May 2014

OMG! Does make you wonder about them reading the chart! I am glad the surgery went well. I can picture you in the tubes..... LOL I like that comercial. I'd have yo join you sometimes.  

Did they not put on the red  and pink bands? At my hospital the color code you for allergy and limb restrictions.  Of course you probably don't want the purple one. That's for DNR. LOL

Sounds like you have a great PS. And he seems to be really invested in you. That's a good thing. The anesghesiologist sounds like a poophead. The last time i had someone like that I woke up throwing up AND  with D!!?! In the RR. That's not where you want D! LOL.  Poor nurses. I was stuck in the RR for 5 hours. Not fun. So glad she was just ditzy for you and not  totally incompetent. Please take it easy and recover well. 

I had to let them take my BP from my right arm. My right leg is not reading right due to my knee problems. After taking it in my leg and getting 180 over 95 I thought about it. I am on 2 BP meds and that couldnt be right. I'm going to have to let them do it somehow during my knee sx, so I let them but on the side with only 1 node and 2 sx, they tried immediately after trying the first leg.  It read 120 over 72. So the readings are not good in the leg. Sigh. Then I had to get blood work and didn't want to wait for 6 weeks so out of the right arm too, as they don't have anyone to access the port in that office. So far so good. 

Much love to all. 

• specialk
    edited May 2014

I had a port flush yesterday and conned them into a CBC from it. That is one reason I have kept the port. I go get a flush every six weeks so I am buds with the onc nurses. I had 2 nodes from the right but let them do BP and IV from there. I know I'm taking a risk - particularly with my frequent flyer status in the OR. She blew the hand vein, it moused up pretty big. Its already blue - the one from last month's blown vein was just going away! She set the IV on the edge of the wrist. I'm pretty quiet made I made an unusual noise - scared the DH, lol! When is you TKR?

• Previvor101
    Previvor101 Member Posts: 126
    edited May 2014

KLJ, I used magnesium supplemets. They help with the muscle spasm and don't make you copy. I took them with ibuprofen and paracetemol. But sometimes even that wasn't enough. 

• moonflwr912
    edited May 2014

Klj, just watch out if you are prone to diarrhea. Too much magnesium will activate that problem. As me how I know that..... LOL

Specialk, June 18th.  Now you know I'm nuts. I'm actually looking forward to sx #8 or is it 9? In 3 years! LOL I have a tremendous bruise where she took my blood in my elbow. And it only was a 1 stick without much pain.  I hate the side of the wrist where you got yours. That's so in the way for an IV.  Usually I coordinate my blood work so they wait til i get my port accessed. but my PCP wanted my A1C in a hurry. And it was fine, it's 6.9 which is considered pretty good control for a diabetic. . My vitamin D is finally near where I want it but it took 2 years to go from 30 to 45. And 1 year to go from 14 to 30. I will need the C BC and all that on June 2nd for 6 weeks. I wonder if my mag level will be good again. If so that will be 3 months with normal values and my port can come out. If I still need mag, I'll keep it. I hate the bruising for the IVS. LOL.  What a wimp I am! LOL

Enjoy Mothers day everyone!

• Galsal
    Galsal Member Posts: 754
    edited May 2014

So glad to hear you're doing well SpecialK!

• nevinsdb
    nevinsdb Member Posts: 7
    edited May 2014

WHAT WAS THE NAME OF THAT VASODILATOR CREAM YOU USED?? SOUND LIKE A GOOD PLAN..WAS IT A NITROGLYCERIN OINTMENT  SPECIAL COMPOUNDED??

• nevinsdb
    edited May 2014

YOU HAVE TO BE VERY CAREFUL WITH ICE AND HEAT-- BOTH CAN CUSE BURNS AND YOU DONT HAVE NORMAL NERVES IN THAT AREA  VERY EASY TO NECROSE TISSUE!!!  I KNOW I HAD A NURSE FORGET ABOUT MY HEAT PAKS.GOT BURNS THAT CHANGED TO FULL THICKNESS...HAD TO HAVE ANOTHER SURGERY TO CLOSE THEM UP AND I AM SCARRED FOR LIFE AS IF A MASTECTOMY WASNT BAD ENOUGH

• moonflwr912
    edited May 2014

nev, so sorry to hear that. Yes everybody should be aware not to use heat or cold when you can't feel it. And to watch the time so you don't le Ave those on too long. Thanks for reminding us all. 

• nevinsdb
    edited May 2014

KLJ.. I HAVE 2 TE IN PLACE NOW AND I SWEAR SOMETIMES I CAN FORGET THEY ARE THERE AND OTHER TIMES I THING THEY ARE COCONUTS COVERED WITH COCKYLBURRS..DIDNT HURT MUCH UNTIL I GOT TO 400CC..THEN MY SLEEPING POSITION HAD TO BE FLAT ON MY BACK OR I WOULD REGRET IT...WEARING A GOOD SUPPORT BRA HAS REALLY HELPED AND MASSAGING WITH LAVENDER OIL WITH SOME FLEXALL MIXED IN WITH IT.. VOLATREN GEL WAS REALLY HELPING BUT THEN I READ IN THE INGREDIENTS THAT IT CONTAINED ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL WHICH IS LIVER TOXIC..SO I STOPPED USING IT..NEVER USE ANYTHING ON YOUR SKIN EXCEPT ETHYL ALCOHOL..TYLENOL HAS NEVER DONE ANYTHING FOR ME AND IT HAS NO ANTIINFLAMMATORY ACTION ANYHOW..SO I WOULD TRY IBUPROFEN INSTEAD UNLESS YOU HAVE STOMACH ISSUES..ITS SO HARD TO TELL WHAT IS CAUSES SHOOTING PAIN..IS IT NERVES GROWING BACK NEW PATHWAYS??PHANTOM PAIN  ( I SWEAR SOMEONE WAS PULLING ON MY NON EXISTANT NIPPLES WITH A PAIR OF VICE GRIPS) OR ARE THE EXPANDER PORTS JUST RUBBING ON TISSUE? OR DO THEY HAVE A CAPSULE FORMING AROUND THEM THAT IS BEING STRETCHED OUT TOO??  SURE WISH I KNEW ALSO..WE ARE IN THE SAME BOAT TIMING WISE..IF U WANT TO TALK OR TEXT ILL GIVE U MY NUMBER   EVELYN  

• moonflwr912
    edited May 2014

evelyn. Please edit your post to remove your number from the open posts here for your safety. You can Private message klj with it instead. Much love. 

• nevinsdb
    edited May 2014

HAS ANYONE ELSE SEEN THE GREAT FAT GRAFTING  RESULTS THAT DR KHOURI IS GETTING AT MIAMI BREAST CENTER ??  HE IS ABLE TO GET 50 TO 70 %  OF FAT TO  STAY IMPLANTED..THE WEB SITE IS AMAZING..MAYBE WE SHOULD ALL JUST FORGET THESE DARN IMPLANTS..ALTHOUGH HE HAS PEOPLE EXPAND THEIR SKIN WITH A SUCTION CUP DEVICE--DOESNT SOUND FUN BUT AT LEAST NOT AS INVASIVE AS THESE TISSUE EXPANDERS...SURE WOULD LIKE TO HEAR ABOUT SOMEONE FAT GRAFTING EXPERIENCES!!

• nevinsdb
    edited May 2014

HOW DO I PRIVATE REPLY TO SOMEONE?

• specialk
    edited May 2014

Nevins - unfortunately what Dr. Khouri does is not covered by insurance, and you have to wear those cones for quite a while.  There are other threads on this discussion board that are all about fat grafting, and also discuss Dr. Khouri.  Just put fat grafting into the search bar at the left of the page.

Also, for anyone with ER+ BC you might want to avoid lavender, particularly on the chest area - it is estrogenic.

• Rennasus
    Rennasus Member Posts: 642
    edited May 2014

SpecialK I can't believe you have to go through the TE phase AGAIN. You poor thing! You really have a great attitude, and you've been through So much, we all can take a lesson from you! Sending lottsa hugs and virtual shots of bourbon! :-)

• specialk
    edited May 2014

ren - it is a bit hard to believe, right? It won't be for long, but it will be a cold day in hell before I revise again! Thanks for the virtual bourbon - let's toast to the numerous pieces of equipment that have been installed and removed from my chest! Crazy!

• moonflwr912
    edited May 2014

specialk, we are all going to rethink revisions for a while! : )

• specialk
    edited May 2014

moon - ok, my work here is done, lol! I do seem to be a Murphy's Law kind of girl! I'm always afraid that I scare people when they read about just how much of a scenic detour this has been! People, please know this is not the norm!!!

• moonflwr912
    edited May 2014

I know! Scenic Detours instead of the express train. Not what we bargained for. But Murphy Law is a very well used one! LOL the page it's on is dirty torn and dog-eared! I'll help you hide that book if we ever find it! LOL.  Take care. Much love, fast healing. We'll find that darn book someday....

• Galsal
    edited May 2014

Surgery has been delayed due to a broken 7th rib on the other side than the problem expander from the car accident.  It should be the first or second week of June instead.

• specialk
    edited May 2014

galsal - wow!  That was a delayed diagnosis - are you doing ok?

• babs6287
    babs6287 Member Posts: 1,619
    edited May 2014

Galsal-sorry your surgery was delayed but it's probably for the best due to your broken rib  Yikes!!!!-.

My surgery was moved up  from 5/30 to 5/22.  Trying another fat grafting and hoping not to get cellulitis again Yes, scenic tours seem to be the way we make our trip with BC !!

Babs

• moonflwr912
    edited May 2014

galsal. Oh boy. Lucky you. I'm glad it wasn't worse. I bet you are relieved that's the reason you were hurting so much though! 

Babs I had one of my surgeries moved up 2 weeks too. It's kind of a shock but gives you no time to get in a spin! LOL

Much love. 

• Galsal
    edited May 2014

Oh YES I'm glad that's all it was!  Went to the ER last weekend.  They did chest xray, ran labs.  Labs showed elevated AST and D-dim so with my history a CT scan was ordered to make sure there was no blood clot.  Thankfully all was clean.  I kept my appt with my Internal Med Dr on Monday.  He believed that it was at the very least separated ribs but ordered rib and back xrays to check.  Lo and behold, 7th rib broken.  

I only found out since had put on the paperwork at xray place to send a copy to my PS.  Saw him on Wed and he told me and gave a copy.   confusing that the chest xray didn't so the rib thing, although I will definitely say the positioning for films was far different than for ribs.  Called Int Med yesterday, found he's been out of town.  Staff took a photo of the results, sent it to him.  He won't order any pain med for it, dagnabit!  Wants me to wrap or bind it, which I do on and off for comfort purposes.  Supposed to see him again.

Ice/heat helps which of course I can't do while at work.  Aggravating that some days are better than others and the not better ones get really bad.  Last night I couldn't stand up fully straight until did the ice/heat/double Tylenol3 route.

You know though, it all could have been far worse so I'm good with it all and feel blessed! 

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750
    edited May 2014

GalSal, broken ribs SUCK! I've had it happen several times and boy is it painful. Just did it on one side last year after I had my stroke and couldn't walk without falling over. Another time a med tech broke a couple while doing CPR.  I remember taking a heating pad to work to try to make it through the day. Also remember sitting in the car to drive home but not being able to reach out far enough to grab the door handle to shut it. I just sat and cried. The pain can really wear you down so I am so sorry you are going through it. Guess it's best that your surgery is postponed. Hey, come on over to the June Surgery Sisters thread. We have a small group and can use someone with scenic detour experience.

• Previvor101
    Previvor101 Member Posts: 126
    edited May 2014

oh Sandra, CPR and a stroke and BC. That seems a bit much for anyone, 

Galsal, take the pain meds. I think your doc is being a bit tough. You don't want to get pneumonia  from not  breathing deep enough or a DVT from not mobilizing cos it hurts. Thinking of you. M

• DLL66
    DLL66 Member Posts: 448
    edited May 2014

Yikes, GalSal! Hope you are doing okay and heal quickly.

• schoolcounselor
    schoolcounselor Member Posts: 229
    edited May 2014

Hi Ladies,

I have been following this thread for a while. I lost my left TE to an infection after trying to save it for 8 days in the hospital. I have had the surgery to put the TE back in and 10 days ago noticed a redness and my PS put me on Augmentin. I have seen him twice since then and it still appears red but no fever. It is also slightly warm to the touch.

I see my PS tomorrow and I wonder if I should just ask to go into the hospital and get IV antibiotics to get ahead of the infection. 

What do you guys think?

Thanks

• schoolcounselor
    schoolcounselor Member Posts: 229
    edited May 2014

Galsai, I am so sorry...ouch!!!!

• moonflwr912
    edited May 2014

school, they can put an IV in or access your port and let you give yourself the iv abx if needed. So if they want to start abx you could Def do it at home.