Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• Radical2Squared
    Radical2Squared Member Posts: 350
    edited May 2014

Viv,

I understand...I'm crying as I type. Every time I take a shower I just cry and stare. I come here and I see hope and it lasts for a little while.... Just keep coming back!

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited May 2014

Rad hugs too. You and Viv are really going through it right now certainly not what anyone hoped for. So just more hugs. 

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 841
    edited May 2014

After reading what some of you are going through, I might sound petty. I had breast implants 10 years ago. They were put under my muscles so I already had some space there. Losing my breast tissue though put me at the point now where I have to make up for that tissue. I had about 750 cc's between my implant and my breast. My PS office told me they like to go over that amount by at least 100 to 150 cc's for radiation. I came out of surgery with 350cc and I am now at 480cc's. I feel like I have a rock on my chest and I sometimes feel a pain that radiates through the incision. We put 50 in the first time and 80 in my last visit. Most likely will put at least 100-120 this week. The pain was very manageable using an ice pack on my boob, and taking Advils.

It looks like it is going into my armpit instead of actually getting bigger. They say it looks perfect. If I touch the inside part of my new boob (middle of my chest) I feel a twinge in the incision. I am 3 weeks post op so is it kind of still early in the healing process?? 

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750
    edited May 2014

HomeMom, sorry to say but you sound perfectly normal. TE's are a challenge. But, you are getting fills VERY early so be careful for too much saline in an area that is not healed yet. It can compromise blood flow to delicate tissue. Most don't even start with fills until three or four weeks, sometimes later. Careful with the ice packs. With no feeling in your chest, and no "padding" anymore, you can get frostbite. Seriously. Try Lidocaine patches instead. Doc can give you a prescription for them. There are also several kinds of gel with anesthetic in it. Good luck.

• purple87
    purple87 Member Posts: 93
    edited May 2014

viv... hang in there girl but know you can vent all u want.  We know more then u realize.  All I see are scars too and its extremely frustrating but we ARE ALIVE and are Survivors so hang in there.  I have had 13 surgeries and I know I am not done yet.  I refuse to let this defeat me.  Know you are in my prayers along with every fighter on this blog.  May God give u strength, peace and sound mind

• Radical2Squared
    edited May 2014

Homemom,

If you can feel pain at your indecision, you can look at it as hope that you may get back some feeling you lost in the skin??? Just a thought...

• KLJ
    KLJ Member Posts: 79
    edited May 2014

Hi everyone! I have been pretty quiet on here for awhile. I guess when you're not having pain and troubles your mind moves on to other things. I just wanted to tell those of you that are having the same kind of pain that I was after fills that my PS gave me a month off from any fills at all. It took 2 weeks and after that I was feeling so much better. This last week has been the best ever! I felt like life got back to normal so I know that there is light at the end of this tunnel and I think the remainder of my fills will go so much better just knowing that I will feel normal again when this all is said and done! So there is hope ladies! It takes time but it happens! I go in tomorrow for my first fill in 4 weeks. He is doing 60 cc's and then only doing them every other week. That time off helped so much so don't be afraid to ask for it!

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 841
    edited May 2014

Thanks you Sandra for the advice, I will ask about those other options. I feel dull aches, stinging and small shooting pains in my boob. I try not to touch the interior edge, it gives me a "twang" type of feeling across the incision. Radical, I have thought about that, that what I feel are the nerve endings connecting. That does give me hope I will have my feeling back in my boob.

• Xinghong
    Xinghong Member Posts: 84
    edited May 2014

Hi ladies,

I had TE put in 4 weeks ago. Today suddenly started Feeling pain on the bottom of the right TE. I noticed it's also softer and smaller than before. Not sure if it's from my imagination though. I don't know if it's a leak or because I just went back to work and used my arm too much on computer. Also I was wearing a bra, maybe too tight? Or because I slept on the side and pressed it too much? For the ladies who had TE leak, did you have pain?

• momx2
    momx2 Member Posts: 68
    edited May 2014

xinghong, my TEs have been leaking but no pain due to leakage . TEs are uncomfortable but if your in pain you should see your PS. 

Good luck !

• momx2
    edited May 2014

Homemom the pain youre describing is normal and part of the healing process . Nerve. endings regenerating , keep an eye out for redness tenderness to touch and monitor your temp 

Hope all goes well for you !

• momx2
    edited May 2014

I am almost positive my TEs will have to come out . Im curious if its done as an in office procedure or surgical procedure .  I want them out and let my body heal before i go ahead and have them immediately replaced . Ive had so man issues from the get go , so depressed .

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited May 2014

momx2 - surgical procedure, but outpatient and relatively short surgery - I have had it done in an outpatient center rather than a hospital.

• Lakegirl1
    Lakegirl1 Member Posts: 158
    edited May 2014

Momx2....it is def NOT an office procedure.  

XingHong...  My rt side was gettingsquishier than the left, I could tell something wasn't right.  Confirmed today what I already suspected...my rt TE is leaking. Per PS, it could be from not expanding fully and was rubbing against itself as I became more active. He doesn't like to do fills  while you are getting chemo, but is considering putting some back in next Tuesday before infusion # 2 on Friday. He wants to preserve as much of the skin envelope we have created as possible.  Other wise it is another TE and having to stretch / work through scar tissue that just isn't  like "normal" tissue.   I'm good with the fill, I would rather do that then have to go the other route. 

• momx2
    edited May 2014

Thank you  ladies . So tired , when will this nightmare end !?!?

• Lakegirl1
    Lakegirl1 Member Posts: 158
    edited May 2014

Momx2... You mentioned you had classic signs of depression, who wouldn't after what you have been through. Have you talked to your doc?  They may be able to help you, at least while you are trying to get through this.  I know some don't like to take meds, but you deserve to have some relief.  

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750
    edited May 2014

HomeMom, you probably won't ever have feeling back in your chest area but you will have these zingers, zots, and zaps for a while. I still get them once in a while but not like the first month or so. I would get them in one side or the other, sometimes for a week, then the other side would start. It's supposed to be the nerves trying to regenerate. I get phantom pain too. Sometimes my nipple itches...except I don't have nipples anymore. It's just part of this journey.

• naiviv
    naiviv Member Posts: 308
    edited May 2014

Thank you all.

Today was a better physical day. Pain was better and movement easier. I went out in car to a restaurant very close by and actually ate out. It was a bit too much. Starting feeling uncomfortable in chair and then pain began, couldn't wait til I got home to medicate. But it was good for my mind to get out of the house.  The thai food was excellent.

Im still having a hard time with the emotional part of dealing with my breasts, but am working on it.

I see PS tomorrow afternoon for my first post-surg. Let's see what he has to say.

I wish you all a great night,

Vivian

• purple87
    purple87 Member Posts: 93
    edited May 2014

wooohooo ladies..... I got to have 120cc injected into my TE.  After a year of multiple surgeries, I finally get to expand.  Came home and crashed after....pressure and tightness is weird but I'm ready to get this over with.

To everyone of you who are encountering problems, hang in there bc there is light at the end of the tunnel.  13 surgeries later....I'm proof.

Love to all

• moonflwr912
    edited May 2014

viv, hugs. I'm glad you got out for a bit. You needed that!

Purple I am so happy for you. But i bet I don't have to tell you to take it slow now do I? We do learn caution. LOL

Momx2. Hugs. Please consider getting some help. Sometimes we don't know how deep in the hole we are until we try to get out of it. Sometimes help is needed. Whether you just need to talk to someone or just need sleep or perhaps some meds please think about it. If it seems like too much trouble force yourself to make just one call to talk to someone. It's the little things that work. Hugs. Do something silky. Get a pedicure with the brightest color you can. Or do that yourself. Every time you see your fluorescent orange toes you'll have to smile.....

Much love to all. 

• naiviv
    edited May 2014

Purple, am glad to see you back. 13 surgeries is way too many to have to deal with.  At 4 breast surgeries, I am exhausted and I know I face several more. You are an inspiration.

Moon, we have a new male kitten that my son rescued ( he was riding bike behind a shopping center and heard meow) earlier this month from a business big green garbage bin swarmed with bees and buzzards. ( We have 1 previous cat rescued just before my BMX last year. She was a kitten in a parking lot of a Home Depot that I walk around. She kept heading towards a major intersection called Kendall, hence her name)  27 days at home an Alcatraz has healed from his bites and cuts and tripled in size, one issue we are having is that he in now lazy and wont go to litter to pee, he wakes up and meows (he has to go) If you take to litter he goes, if not he goes wherever he is and back to sleep. If he's running around and playing he will go to litter. Everytime he pees somewhere I now think Wedding Veil.

Take care all,

Vivian

• moonflwr912
    edited May 2014

viv, LOL!  Yep!  We bought a new litter box with the bigger pebbles to see if he likes that better. LOL.  I'll let you know. Silly cats. They've got us trained!

• Xinghong
    Xinghong Member Posts: 84
    edited May 2014

Thank you ladies. I had high fever yesterday morning and more pain and swollen on the right side. I went to surgeon's office right away. The surgeon said it was not a leaking, but maybe irritation.  I am on antibiotics now and also taking Tylenol. This morning I still have high fever and still lots of pain on the right chest. I will wait one more day to see if I will get better. 

• moonflwr912
    edited May 2014

xing. I hope the abx work for you.  Make sure.you call if it doesn't get better. If your fever is still high, don't eat or drink. It might have to come out and that would mean an operation.  And that means nothing to eat or drink for at least 6 hours. Hugs. I am praying that you feel lots better. 

Much love to all. 

• fluffqueen01
    fluffqueen01 Member Posts: 1,800
    edited May 2014

viv and radical-I so understand your feelings. I had no issues with bmx and recon. Then, when I had to have the te's out, it was really hard to adjust too. Everyone is right. Go get fitted and get yourself a pretty bra. For me, I discovered the Victoria Secret bra that makes normal,people look two sizes bigger. It has so much padding in it, there is no room for boobs. I could just wear the bra and it looked normal.

• naiviv
    edited May 2014

Thank you Fluff.... But I have to be braless for 6-8 weeks to make sure nothing impedes blood flow to the new flap, and the other's scars heal. I may be able to wear a cami with a shelf after 4 weeks.  Although I am seriously thinking Implants for both (Not a flap from another area) to try and get a matched set.

But I definitely need soething to help even me out with clothes, the difference is too much to conceal with a scarf...etc

V

• moonflwr912
    edited May 2014

viv try pinning a soft fluff foob to your blouse or use double sided sticky tape. Try it on a cheap one first though! 

• Radical2Squared
    edited May 2014

Fluff...having been an A-cup pre-surgery, I have several of those vs bras. I never even thought to try them out! Thanks!

• momx2
    edited May 2014

Yay purple with the fills 

Vivian its good to get out , feel a little normal 

My TEs were removed today , relieved and upset 2 months wasted . Im going to take it slow and heal before I do anything other than my herceptin , 8 more to go . My EF has been dropping but MO says still ok . 

Xinghong , I hope ABT kicks in and you start to improve .

Moonflower , hugs 

Enjoy weekend ladies !

• moonflwr912
    edited May 2014

momx2. So sorry . Heal up. Feel better..and that time wasn't wasted. Your pocket will be just a tad smaller than it was so less time to expand later. Although that means you have a crater in the meantime. 

Purple keeping fingers crossed for you. 

Much love to all.