Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• Lissab
    Lissab Member Posts: 65
    edited August 2014

how do y'all deal with rude people stAring or pointing bc you're in bikini with one boob? I bought suits to try to mAsk it but there's no way to really fix it. I just smile bc my boob or non boobs don't define me as a person. I have one expander in & had 1 removed due to infection. Some people.....I kinda want to go up to them & say do you want to see my scars underneath?

• RainDew
    RainDew Member Posts: 228
    edited August 2014

hi Lissab,

That really sucks. Just plain old rude. No clue why people do these things...

Update from me - the Very Bad Infection got worse last week and I spent 5 days in hospital on IV antibiotics. The good news is that I got the all clear from my PS today. Means I can resume chemo, and barring any further complications or future infections looks like we can save the TE.

Fingers crossed nothing else goes wrong...I thought maybe some ladies would want to know that apparently it is possible for a TE to survive infection. I had honestly assumed it would have to go and be replaced post-chemo...

• Togetherness
    Togetherness Member Posts: 89
    edited August 2014

For those of you have had TE trouble and had to have them removed how long did you wait until you tried again with the TE and implants.  I am thinking about trying again in October  and it will have been nine months since my last surgery.  Just wanted others opinion to see if u think that is long enough to wait. 

• Lissab
    Lissab Member Posts: 65
    edited August 2014

I got my right side removed April 20th this year. I'm trying to do it again august 19th. So almost 4 months. I definitely feel as if it's healed this time good. Praying no more infections. Best of luck with yours & will be praying too. 

• Togetherness
    edited August 2014

Thanks lissab that is good to hear!!  I feel more comfortable knowing that.  Best of luck to you.  I just hate having to go troughs this all over again.  I had to have both removed due to cellulitis and no healing of the incisions.  I had the TE and them implants.  The implants are what was removed in January. Wishing you the best.  I will definitely be following you to see how you do.  Good luck!

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited August 2014

Raindew, m glad it worked for you. It's great to hear of success in saving a TE. 

Together,  first replacement I waited 6 months. 2 months PFC. I think it was too soon for me. I didn't realize just how broken down I was after chemo. And I lost that 2nd TE to infection too.  When I got my TE replaced the next time it was a full year from the last sx, 15 months PFC. 

Lissab, if you notice, I had my right TE half filled for 2 full years. I had the left removed for 16 of those months broken up by trying to replace the left one 2 more times. So i know the lopsided feeling very well. I used a soft form that came with my Amoena Cami on both sides. One half filled and one that was all fluff so I was balanced. Summer wasn't much fun as I wore the Cami under my shirts, but when I got a black one I could wear it instead of a tank top. That was better. I really ignored people's stares. Unless I was really in a bad mood. Then I might actually pull the form away from my body look them in the eye and ask "are they on straight now?" LOL I can be mean sometimes.  LOL

• Radical2Squared
    Radical2Squared Member Posts: 350
    edited August 2014

Lissab,

I'd just lift my top and flash them without saying a word...they'd get the point!

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750
    edited August 2014

I did it a weird way because I had a true one step revision, meaning a BMX with permanent 800 cc silicone round implants placed in the same operation. Infection caused me to lose one of the implants at 14 days. It was removed and an empty TE placed even though I was still on one of those super-antibiotics. (So you can have a TE and at least the tail end of an infection at the same time.) Three weeks later my last drain was out, I was allowed to stop the IV antibiotic and start fills. Except for the last fill, things went smoothly with minor discomfort. With the last fill, I was up to 740 cc's and finally had considerable pain so we stopped before reaching 800 cc. I waited 3 months for the exchange and the TE as well as the original implant were both changed to slightly smaller 740 cc gummie bears.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited August 2014

I had BMX with expanders placed but had the left one removed after two tries to excise non-healing skin.  The left expander was out for seven months, but that was due to the length of chemo.  It was replaced six weeks later, expanded and exchanged for implants seven months later.  I had a repair surgery in March bi-laterally to replace my allograft slings and had a skin complication, another surgery to excise and close which didn't work, then the left implant was removed in May.  My PS said it needed to be out for a minimum of 90 days before being having a new expander placed - which will probably happen in October since I will be out of town too much in September.  I have no idea how long it will take to expand and exchange this time.  Important to note that I have never had an infection - these timeframes are all due to skin healing issues.

• Galsal
    Galsal Member Posts: 754
    edited August 2014

SpecialK, how are you doing since the implant was removed?  Think of you often.

• Togetherness
    edited August 2014

Thanks for the great input.  Looks like I should be good waiting nine months.  I am scheduled for oct 7th.  

Specialk I had healing problems as well as infections causing me to have to have implants removed.  When I met with the PS. He asked what are we going to do different.  I said take it slower.  I expect the whole process will take 6 months. 

Moonflower I have read lots of your posts - you have been through the ringer.  I just hope and pray that this time it works or we discussed other options Tram flap and the back flap.  I don't even want to go there.

Sandra - I am gonna ask for antibiotics from the get go and not wait for an infection to occur.  I just hate going through this whole process again.  At least I get two months without a dr appt.  I have been dealing with lymphodema as well and going to pt twice a week!  I just want my life back and some new normal.

• specialk
    edited August 2014

galsal - I'm doing fine, thanks for asking! I think of you too and miss our group - can't believe I missed two get-together a in a row. How is your expansion process going!

Together - that sounds like a reasonable time span. I did 25cc fills and had no problems, and will do that again this time.

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 841
    edited August 2014

I don't know that I am having trouble. When I wake up in the morning and sit up the pain in my TE runs across the foob and underneath. Like it shifts and stretches everything making it painful. I have one more appointment for a fill and I feel like I'm stretched enough but I do need at least another 50-60cc's. I've also had a cough lately and it hurts to take a deep breath. I guess from coughing my chest muscle is sore. 

• purple87
    purple87 Member Posts: 93
    edited August 2014

Sandra I wish I could say things are good but they aren't.  The tacking my PS did on my left side is slowly falling apart one stitch at a time.  I'm so frustrated with this whole process but I want to have breast again.  Not sure what he will do now that his muscle and skin tacking to rib has failed.  Guess I get to wait and see.

• Radical2Squared
    edited August 2014

Homemom,

The coughing might be the culprit. I have a constant cough (I think it's related to chemo) and I get the feeling of broken ribs under my TE. My cough is worse in the am and before bed so the pain is always worse after sleeping.

• moonflwr912
    edited August 2014

puple. That just plain sucks. I wish the perky breast people could see what we go through just to look a bit more normal.. Hugs. And prayers. And Much love. 

• iwannaseeyoubebrave
    iwannaseeyoubebrave Member Posts: 67
    edited August 2014

Hang in there Purple.  Sending you positive thoughts and prayers that the doctor will make it right.

• homemom
    edited August 2014

Radical - I believe it is, it seems it has gotten worse since I started coughing a couple weeks ago. I was told today I can take robitussin DM and nyquil (sp) intermittently. I hope this clears it up in the next few days to week. 

• purple87
    edited August 2014

Moon and Iwannaseeyou.... had to make an emergency visit to PS today.  Sutures on left breast decided to poke through making holes and allowing fluid to leak.  PS ended up pulling, cutting and removing the 6 sutures attached to rib right there in his office.  As soon as he did that a flood gate was opened and fluid poured out.  It has finally stopped after a couple of hours and many many 4x4 & abd pads.  PS says we will go back into surgery to fix once the holes close up.   

• iwannaseeyoubebrave
    iwannaseeyoubebrave Member Posts: 67
    edited August 2014

Oh Purple,  that just plain stinks.  I'm so sorry to hear that but so glad you went into the office!   I pray that things calm down and those holes heal up quickly.  Get some rest and try to hang in there.  I'll be thinking about you. 

{{{HUGS}}}

• juliecc
    juliecc Member Posts: 4,360
    edited August 2014

I'm so sorry, Purple.  That really sucks :-(

• moonflwr912
    edited August 2014

purple. OMG. Lord, you know they say you don't give people more than they can handle? WELL CUT IT OUT. PURPLE HAS HAD ENOUGH!  Purple I'm so sorry.  One thing is if you have any sanitary napkins they make great bandages for fluid. Just stick one up against the opening. 

I'm so upset for you. Hugs. 

• Galsal
    Galsal Member Posts: 754
    edited August 2014

Poor Purple...hopefully all is repaired, recovered and is well in hand.

• purple87
    edited August 2014

I had that same conversation with God....lol.  I am frustrated beyond words but I'm not giving up.  I know eventually I will have pretty reconstructed breasts.  Just wish I knew why my body keeps rejecting TE and sutures.  Thank you eveyone for your support, it helps to know u guys know and understand me.  Prayers always for you all.

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750
    edited August 2014

Purple baby, you have had the WORST experience! I really feel for you. Although it is a serious topic, I have kidded about SpecialK being an "overachiever" because of so many operations and how Moonflwr had such a love affair with TE's that she couldn't bear to part with them. Now we have to add you to the list of Super Women whose signature takes up half a page because of all the procedures and setbacks. A dubious honor, of course. You win the "prize" for being the most determined person. After this last horrific "adventure" I would have thrown my hands up and said, "That's it. No more."   You are so strong!

• specialk
    edited August 2014

purple - I'm with you sister - I share the wish/need for recon - I have been without it twice now and I know it is what I need to feel right.  I have faith that it will eventually work out, and also know I can work around not having it - but I want it.  It is frustrating to have these set-backs, but I have my eye on the prize and I can feel that you do too.  Just know I am thinking of you.

• Radical2Squared
    edited August 2014

Homemom,

Had a talk with my oncologist about the painful cough. He thinks chemo is the culprit....some kind of mucositis!

• homemom
    edited August 2014

Radical - I've tried my usual 3 days of Robitussin DM and Nyquil and it is still there. While it seems like it has gotten a little better, it is somewhat painful. Did he say there is anything you can do about it?

• purple87
    edited August 2014

Sandra, Thank you for your kind words.  God gives me my strength and I'm just plain stubborn.  I refuse to let this cancer get the best of me.  I beat it and I will win this reconstruction fight too.  I don't care how many surgeries I gotta do.  My strength comes from God bc I have asked him to make me strong so my girls see their mother never giving up.  I want them to learn to always fight on, NO MATTER WHAT.   

• purple87
    edited August 2014

SpecialK,  we will overcome and win.  I pray this and come to agreement with u in God's name.  He says where two come in agreement in his name, it shall come to pass.   I claim our victory with you.