Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.

TE TROUBLE

Comments

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited August 2014

purple - awesome!  We will do this together!

• homemom
    homemom Member Posts: 841
    edited August 2014

My foob hurts when I get up from sleeping. It is an ache that radiates from my armpit (where it is filling up too) through the incision area. It doesn't hurt during the day, but when I turn over at night to lay on my side or visa versa and go to get up

• Galsal
    Galsal Member Posts: 754
    edited August 2014

On the positive side, fills are going well after the TE replacement.

• specialk
    specialk Member Posts: 9,258
    edited August 2014

galsal - excellent!

• moonflwr912
    moonflwr912 Member Posts: 5,938
    edited August 2014

galsal happy for you. 

Homemom a lot of us can't sleep on our sides for a long time. You are probably stretching muscles as you sleep. Unless it's tight all day? Is there a particular tight place? Does it feel like "cording"? A ropy thing under your arm?  But if it keeps bothering you call your doc. 

Much love

• homemom
    edited August 2014

Moonflwr - During the day it's like a rock on my chest but doesn't hurt. It is just when I've been lying down and go to sit up. I'm supposed to get one more fill and I just feel like it's stretched to the limit. I guess they can expand farther then we think.

• moonflwr912
    edited August 2014

Home it basically IS a rock on your chest! Remember me saying I ran into things with my chest? LOL.  Yeah TES are not much fun. But squishies are coming soon. Hang in there. 

Much love

• homemom
    edited August 2014

I have to check with my PS on when I will get my squishies. My first appt with him was when I was just doing a lumpectomy. He said after rads my breast would have to "cool off" for about 3-4 months. Now that I don't really have a breast I'm hoping I won't have to wait that long to get rid of this rock.  The odd thing is since I have my right breast, one is high and tight (TE) and the other is normal. I'm not even!

• Lissab
    Lissab Member Posts: 65
    edited August 2014

Tuesday morning I have my right expander put back in. I'm curious as to how painful it is? Will I have a drain again? 

• moonflwr912
    edited August 2014

I had my left TE placed 3 times. I had drains all 3 times. But my P'S did my side boobage at one of them. Did a bit of pocket work too. My last time added Alloderm again. 

As in everything here, every sx and P'S does things differently.  LOL

Much love

• Lissab
    edited August 2014

he told me he's lypoing my extra skin on sides & arms when he does my implants. I had alloderm before, will he have to do that again this time. 

• moonflwr912
    edited August 2014

lissa probably not. Mine was messed up from 6 operations on that breast. 

• Lissab
    edited August 2014

this will be my 4th on thAt side. I've had it taken out & cleaned twice too & then removed. I have a lot of loose skin just kinda hanging. He seems to think thAts good. 

• sharons
    sharons Member Posts: 177
    edited August 2014

trouble again. TE on right side got 2nd fill on Tues. Wed night at dinner get chills. Temp of 102. Thurs plastic surgeon takes out fluid puts me on antibiotic.  Yesterday in bed all day. Today feel a tad better upright and temp not as high when Tylenol wears off. Waiting for PS to call back. Still hot and fluid is back. 

I am speechless. Worst time for this to happen. My runners come back to school this weekend and preseason practices for the next two weeks. 

Just take this out and forget it is my thought. Go to see PS at 1015

Thanks for letting me vent. 

• Radical2Squared
    Radical2Squared Member Posts: 350
    edited August 2014

oh Sharon,

That is terrible. As a teacher I know how important your runners are...but remember you come first. For them it's only one season, for you it's your life.

Take it easy, rest up. I hope the antibiotics work and all is fine!

• purple87
    purple87 Member Posts: 93
    edited August 2014

sharon hang in there.... 

• purple87
    purple87 Member Posts: 93
    edited August 2014

Lisa, I have extra skin too and my PS seems to think this is good.   He said he will eventually remove what he doesn't use.   Hang in there....there is light at the end of the tunnel.

• moonflwr912
    edited August 2014

sharon. Hugs. 

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750
    edited August 2014

Oh no Sharon. Anxious to hear how it's going.

• Galsal
    edited August 2014

Hoping for good news from you soon, Sharon.

• kaluha
    kaluha Member Posts: 4
    edited August 2014

I had a total mastectomy with immediate reconstruction (TE) on July 7th.  Everyday is a struggle.  I guess I just don't understand what is going on. 1. I constantly have cramping in both breasts. 2/ I feel like I've been strung on a rope and I'm dangling.  The feeling goes from my chest, under my armpits and around to my back.  3/ I walk like an ape.  There is so much skin (?) under my armpits.  4/ I can't walk or be in a car without my sternum area hurting.  5/  When I undress, there are stains on my clothing.  6/ I can't stay in the same position for more than a few minutes because I cramp which makes sitting and sleeping difficult.  I'm ready to give up on this whole TE thing.  I still need radiation and I don't think I can continue to suffer until that phase is complete.  I am miserable 24 hours a day.  Do I throw in the towel?  

• Radical2Squared
    edited August 2014

Kaluha,

Only you and your ps can decide if you want to quit. I had an Aweful time at first. Reading the part about the stains on your shirt brought me back...NY skin took months to heal!

I'd be concerned that all the pain might mean infection, but you are not on pain meds so I guess, pain is to be expected! I was pretty doped up, but I made the decision NoT to work so I could be doped up.

• turtle42
    turtle42 Member Posts: 31
    edited August 2014

Kaluha I am so sorry you are experiencing so much trouble. I had my mastectomies about 2 weeks before you. I too have a lot of the same problems as you. I thought I would be feeling better by now. Its been 8 weeks and I am still having a hard time sleeping and moving around normally. I can't put my arms down at my sides and I walk like an ape.

Each time I go in for a fill I am in pain for a week and my sternum hurts. Sneezing causes extreme pain. I just start to feel a little better and then its time for another fill. I am taking a month off from everything. 

Guess I don't have a lot of advise for you but sometimes misery loves company.

Hope you fell better soon.

• Galsal
    edited August 2014

Kaluha, good thoughts sent your way.  Hopefully your PS can help with the situation.

• moonflwr912
    edited August 2014

K alpha I hope you feel better soon. You are still recovering from the MX. Do you have possibly have cording?  That's where it looks feels like a rope under the skin that needs to be worked out. Ask for PT if it keeps up. Also the side boobage is normal for now and is usually taken care of when the permanent implants are placed 

Hugs. 

• Zimastar
    Zimastar Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2014

Hey all! 

I'm new to this forum but I have spent lots of time reading threads & everyone is so helpful. So 2 weeks ago I had to have my right TE removed as it was in pus. This resulted in 2 pen rose drains being placed..open drains. I've since had 1 removed. Yesterday Hemot said I have to have my 1st chemo in by 9/9 as its my 4 month mark of being DX.  The dilemma is... Even though I've been on abx for 2 weeks, I'm now getting slight green/yellow discharge along w yellow clumps of deposits. So even if the drain comes out,will I really heal in time?? Plastics states no stitches or steri strips will be used to "hold" the two sections together. Has anyone else experienced this? What was the out come?? 

• Radical2Squared
    edited August 2014

Zimaster,

What a mess... I'm so sorry!

Different situation, but it might help ease your mind... after my bmx my skin refused to heal. Once the infection was controlled, I started chemo even with the open wound areas and scabs...so I know for a fact you do not need to be "healed" they just need to get your infection under control.

• Zimastar
    Zimastar Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2014

Thanks Radical2squared. PS did take out the last drain today. I have a 5cm wound that has 3 weeks to heal. I also have to be on the look out for signs & symptoms of infection. Hemot said she will not do chemo w open wound so what we do in 3 weeks if its not healed... She hasn't said. 

• sandra4611
    sandra4611 Member Posts: 1,750
    edited August 2014

Zimastar, are you still on antibiotics? Perhaps a change to something stronger will help you heal faster and finally kill the infection you had. Sounds to me like you still have it since you are seeing odd color discharge.

• moonflwr912
    edited August 2014

What they said. But for now use sanitary napkins to hold the fluid that may drain. They're cheap. They may have to culture to see what works for that infection. Ask to see the infectious doc if you have drainage or if it gets red and hot again. 

Much love.