Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

August 2011 Surgery Group

Options

Comments

• Eema
    Eema Member Posts: 403
    edited August 2011
    Options

Add me--I just had bilateral mastectomy Aug 2 with immediate reconstruction.  Good luck everyone!

• tkdmomyn
    tkdmomyn Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hi guys, 

My name is Jessie and I am having a double mastectomy Monday without reconstruction. I just saw my surgeon yesterday and my surgery is in like 3 days. Not much time to freak out but I am reelling lol. I had a lumpectomy 6 years ago and there were some rogue cells. Now it is in both breasts and my bones. Any advice you guys have about what to take to the hospital etc. would be really appreciated.  My surgeon said if there are no complications I will come home Tuesday morning. Thanks in advance for any advice. 

• Tiger_Blood
    Tiger_Blood Member Posts: 83
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hello all!

Well, I just got home from the hospital and I am going to knock on wood here....It was not what I expected. I feel like I had more pain from the birth of my child. I am walking around and doing fine. A bit tired, but I think that is from getting woken up about 2 times last night to take vitals and to drain my tube.

My BS said she was pleased and she felt that my body responded well to the Chemo. My tumor was 10 cm and it had shrunk it completely. It had just turned into soft tissue. She also said my nodes looked good. Now, just waiting on the path report....praying hard it comes out as expected.....please!

The pain is not bad at all. When I got out of recovery they asked my if I wanted any pain medication. I asked them what my choices were and the nurse replied...morphine or percoset. I said, well, I have always wanted to try morphine so let's try that. I guess I was channeling my old wild rocker high school years on that one. Side note. All it did was made me sleepy.

The drain is what makes me crazy. I have a phobia of things attached to me. Reason as to why I am probably one of the only chemo patients at my clinic without a port. It does not hurt...it just feels weird.

I am icing like crazy to prevent swelling. I love the ice pak they give you. I do feel a bit bizzaro with my uni boob. When my hubby and I were in the elevator to go home I asked him...did you ever think you would marry a girl with only one boob. He replied...no, I thought I would marry a girl like on the movie Total Recall with 3 boobs.

So...if anyone has any questions ask me or private message me....I promise to be honest and my UMX experience.

Thanks for all ur support and good luck lilylady.....I am praying hard for you!!!!!!!

• exbrnxgrl
    exbrnxgrl Member Posts: 4,800
    edited August 2011
    Options

The coffee comment made me laugh. I had abdominal surgery many years ago and I had to arrive early in the morning. They gave me a shot of Versed to relax me but the major benefit of it was that it dulled my caffeine withdrawal headache! Good luck to you. I know it will go well. My BMX is scheduled for 9/7. -Caryn 

• RangerMom
    RangerMom Member Posts: 205
    edited August 2011
    Options

STCC - Had to jump in and say, yes push for that MRI and see what it might tell you. I had a large lump in my right breast and a lymph node on diagnostic ultrasound, then they did an MRI of both breasts and found I had cancer in the left breast too. It got biopsied and came back progestrone positive, the left breast is estrogen positive, 2 different cancers gonig on. The left was Stage 0 and the right was Stage IIIa. So its always good to take a good hard look at both breasts. The good news is I was told only 3-4% of women are diagnosed with simultaneous breast cancer. But whatever, Im glad to know we are getting all the cancer now instead of it coming back to haunt me if I had left the one breast. Also - I did chemo first and the chemo reduced the right breast mass in half but didn't work at all on the left breast. Doesn't matter though since it hadn't metzd and its coming off on Aug 16th anyway and radiation to follow.  

I'm like Blondlawyer - can't have reconstruction till 9 mos or so after radiation. I met with the PS yesterday to discuss my options and he is going to mark up my boobs prior to surgery so the BS can save skin for the recon down the road.

Chemo was brutal I have to admit and what helped me through it was not looking too far ahead, but just get me through each day Lord. Also I joined a Chemo group for the month I started and we helped each other out tremendously with side effects (SE) and encouragement. So you might want to jump onto a chemo group too.  

Hugs and positive vibes to everyone. Healing prayers to those who have had their surgery already.

Love, Linda 

• lilylady
    lilylady Member Posts: 478
    edited August 2011
    Options

Tiger_blood-good to hear from you. I hope my experience is much the same.

vinade45-I was neo-chemo and it really isn;t that bad. I breezed thru with hardly any SEs right up til the last TX. It made me sick-onc said the cumulative effect of all the chemicals. You can do it-it helps to stay positive. I went out and bought every item on the list to prepare for it and they are all still sitting in the bathroom untouched. I am going tomorrow to buy 1 thing for my surgery. A wedge pillow so I cn sleep in my bed instead of a recliner.

stcc-I had a very large (9cm) tumor in my right breast. Since I had chemo first I had time to think about my options. I had a complete rsponse to chemo so my breast tumor is gone-however since it was stuck into the chest wall they were recommending removing the entire breast instead of a lumpectomy. That would leave me with 1 saggy 53 year old breast. I told her I was pretty sure I wanted the other one gone also. She ordered a MRI and they found some things in the other breast that she was sure was B9 but they wanted to ultrasound and biopsy. And she said they would want to do this every time they found something for the rest of my life. That was all I had to hear-I am taking off both. It was MY decision. I am not doing recon. I still have lots of other stuff to come and just didn;t want all the extr dr visits and surgeries. Having breasts just wasn;t that important to me

Jessie-I am having a BMX on Monday also with no recon. Glad to have someone on the same path as me. I see this is your first post. Welcome. This seems like it will be a great group. The ladies that have had their surgeries so far have posted some pretty positive comments.

• tlaquepaque
    tlaquepaque Member Posts: 16
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hi all, I'm just joining. I had a lumpectomy on Monday and did not have clear margins. After seeing full pathology report I am opting for a bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. My surgery is scheduled for August 15th. We are heading out on a trip to the beach in the morning. We will be gone 5 days and I'm very excited to do something besides go to the hospital or doctor's office.

I am 31 years old, mom of 2 kids with DCIS 3cm, Grade 2, ER+, PR+ HER2-. I'm very thankful to have the *good* cancer. I lost my mom 2 months ago to ovarian cancer.

• rjbaby69
    rjbaby69 Member Posts: 6
    edited August 2011
    Options

Vinade56:  Just counting the days until my surgery.  Sounds like you are doing very well.  My daughter bought me a new pillow for the ride home.  I thought that was sweet!  I hope I come through my surgery as well as you did.  I think I will try sleeping in my recliner too.  Sounds like that would be a better idea than trying to lay down in a bed.

Sending warm wishes your way!

Hugs!

• nanadeb
    nanadeb Member Posts: 19
    edited August 2011
    Options

Welcome to all the new girls!!!

I have to leave this morning for awhile. But I wanted to check in and scan thru the posts real quick

Will post more later.

I had what I thought was my last appointment before my BMX next Thursday

But that wasnt so...more tests Tues..And more problems...BOO !

I blogged all about it here ~ http://atoosassygal.blogspot.com/

Do any others of you blog , so you can keep a journal of your journey thru this?

If you do...please post a link here so I can read it.

My family and friends were emailing and PMing me on facebook 50 times a day.

I just didnt have the time to write them all back. And I knew it would just get worse thru surgery and treatment....They encouraged me to use blogger.com and start a blog.

It's free..and it keeps everyone informed with out writing all those emails and PM's back

I was feeling so guilty not writing them all back.

Will be back later today to read more...((((hugs)))) to you all

Debbi http://atoosassygal.blogspot.com/
  • bobeena
    bobeena Member Posts: 46
    edited August 2011
    Options

I have noticed many people have blogs, and I am grateful to everyone for sharing their experiences and stories. I am not a blogger, and it took 5months before I could summon up the courage to post. I have always been quiet and a bit shy, but I figure it's maybe time to change - this stupid disease makes you reevaluate everything.

I had a lumpectomy and SNB before Christmas. Nodes were clear but needed a rexcision to obtain clear margins. I did not require chemo, and have decided on BMX to avoid rads and because pathology showed remaining precancerous changes.

nanadeb-hope everything Is ok ...

Lilylady- good luck on you CT scan!

dogeyed - hope you are healing well with no other misadventures

Tiger_Blood - glad to hear things are going well and that the tumor had shrank so much!

Hi to all the new girls

• profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hello women!  I'm scheduled for my bilateral mastectomy with tissue expanders on August 23rd.  Oh boy.  I've been on the chemo board with friends who started chemo the month I started mine, and it's been really great.  So, I look forward to "meeting" you all here and sharing our experiences and questions, etc.  

Getting a bit nervous about the whole thing here, but I at least feel good that I'm being aggressive in my choices and I'm doing all I can to put cancer behind me.   

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited August 2011
    Options

To those of you still facing surgery I send my very, very best wishes.  It is impossible NOT to reel from all the invasive procedures we face with BC.  Anyway, for the hospital question...my friend (a 9 year survivor, yay!) advised me to set up an e-mail group so that my husband was not inundated with calls, having to fill in each one of our family and friends seperately.  So, all the people who had been asking about me were put on the email, and he was able to help everyone feel in the loop without spending hours on the phone.

• abatellik
    abatellik Member Posts: 22
    edited August 2011
    Options

I am scheduled for a biateral mastectomy on the 15th and am pretty nervous since I've never had surgery other than the port placement. I keep trying to tell myself since I had 2 kids naturally (1 two years ago, so I remember the pain pretty well), the pain can't be worse than that! :-)  I would really appreciate any tips that those of you who have already been through this have. I have completed my chemo, so I am very ahppy to reciprocate in that area!

thanks, and you'll all be in my prayers.

• abatellik
    abatellik Member Posts: 22
    edited August 2011
    Options

tlaquapaque,

I'm also 31 (almost) with 2 kids and scheduled for a bilateral on the 15th. So sorry to hear about your mom. You'll be in my prayers- what a lot you are going through right now!

• Tiger_Blood
    Tiger_Blood Member Posts: 83
    edited August 2011
    Options

Abatellik and tlaquapaque...

I am also a young mom with a 5 year old....well not as young as you,,,,I just turned 34. The surgery is tough for the kids as they can't cuddle and jump on you the same way for a few days...The pain for me as been pretty minimal but I am sure everyone is different. My son is pretty fascinated by the drain. I, on the other hand, cannot even bear to look at it.

I took my wrappings off last night and took a shower. I was okay and did not flip out over the flat area which once was my breast. The bitch tried to kill me is what I keep saying to myself. I wil recommend purchasing a lanyard to place around your neck when you do take showers to help hold the drains. The closer the drain is to your body the less discomfort you may feel.

Happy Sunday!

• tlaquepaque
    tlaquepaque Member Posts: 16
    edited August 2011
    Options

Abetellik,

I have done both natural childbirth and a c-section. I asked the nurse how this will compare to the recovery of a c-section and she said that pain-wise this will be easier. They aren't touching or cutting any organs and it won't disrupt bowels etc. We can do this. I think (now I don't know, just guessing) that it won't be so much the pain of recovery as the logistics of not raising arms, not lifting and dealing with drains that will be challenging. I'm still terrified but just going to keep moving forward. We are scheduled for the same day so we'll have to see how it goes.

My lumpectomy incision is close to 2 inches long. I just got back to our rental from the beach and I'm giving the kids a nap. I haven't had much pain but now I'm feeling a pinching on my nipple and underneath where the incision is. I didn't go into the water past my waist because I don't want to risk infection but I don't know what this pinching feeling is from. I also tried to put on a underwire bra but that was a big mistake. I will be hand washing my soft bras.

• tkdmomyn
    tkdmomyn Member Posts: 5
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hi guys. I hope everyone is doing well. It is hard to believe that in less than 24 hours I will be breastless for the first time in 31 years. I am getting really nervous and am dreading the npo after midnight since I don't think sleep will happen this night. Good luck everyone I hope everyone has a great day.

• profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hang in there TKD!  I plan to put in a movie I've seen a million times and try to go to sleep early the night before mine.  And hey, in less than 24 hours you'll be cancer-free!  All gone!  I'm not practicing what I'm preaching because I've felt nervous today and my surgery isn't until the 28th!  But I'm sending you all the calming vibes I can.  Good luck tomorrow!!

• chulita
    chulita Member Posts: 16
    edited August 2011
    Options

TKDMOMYN - Ill be sending you positive vibes and thoughts. You will not be alone. Good luck.

• chulita
    chulita Member Posts: 16
    edited August 2011
    Options

Same to you LILYLADY and ROCKYM

• Scilla
    Scilla Member Posts: 8
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hi ladies,

I'm so glad I've found you all. What a fantastic group! It looks like the group has just got bigger by 1.

I'm scheduled for a UMX on 10th August to remove a very large, high grade DCIS. I'm really nervous about the surgery, losing a breast and what to expect afterwards. The BS is also doing a SNB at the same time and I will have to wait 2 weeks to find out if my DCIS has become invasive.

I've found it difficult to sleep since they scheduled my surgery - so being here in the early hours is not unusual. I keep going over things in my mind, telling myself I have no choice - it's the cancer or me, but I feel sick when I think about losing a breast. It seems as though the closer I get to the surgery the more lost and unprepared I feel.

• lilylady
    lilylady Member Posts: 478
    edited August 2011
    Options

tkd-I plan on pulling an all-nighter here at home because I am pretty sure I won;t sleep. Figure I will sleep tomorrow!!;

I am staying 1 night so have packed my toothbrush. Figure i won't need much else. i have bought the wedge pillow for sleeping in bed but have the recliner in position also.

Good luck to you-sending positive thoughts your way. I will just be glad to get it over with. I am tired of thinking about it-waiting for it and talking about it!!

I saw wheer Tiger-blood already had a shower. My BS says dressings stay on for 4 days. I will have a pinball that lasts the same 4 days. She said when it comes off so can the dressings.

Disappointed in my scan results-or at least the interpretation the guy who read it put on it. It is hardly coherent. Am thinking English is not his original language. My other 3 scans were all read by the same guy. Way easier to decipher. Hoping my onc sends it back for a re-read. I am not sure if I am better or not. he didn;t take any measurements. it was a lot of "seems somewhat smaller" or "possibly smaller". He also jumped all around to the different organs instead of making each organ a category.

I will post Tuesday when i get home. Not taking the laptop wiith me.

• dixiebell
    dixiebell Member Posts: 170
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hi scheduled for Aug 10th at 10am in New Orleans bilateral mastectomy with immediate reconstruction. I really have been in sort of a get done what I need to do mode until today and I am really getting nervous. Is anyone else going to be at St Charles Surgical Hospital in New orleans??

• Scilla
    Scilla Member Posts: 8
    edited August 2011
    Options

dixiebell,

Like you, I have had a really busy day - I can't remember a time when I've done this much housework!  I've also been checking the list of items for the suitcase and, having read some posts on this website, already regret not owning a a lazy boy recliner or zip up hoodie with internal pockets for the drainage bag.

How long are you in hospital for? The breast nurse is talking about getting me home for the weekend, but I expect you are in for much longer if you are having reconstruction.

If it's any consolation I too am very anxious about my surgery - also on August 10th - so I'll be thinking about you.

Good luck for Wed

• bobeena
    bobeena Member Posts: 46
    edited August 2011
    Options

Sending wishes for uneventful surgeries and quick recoveries to everyone scheduled this week!  

• rockym
    rockym Member Posts: 357
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hi Ladies!

It looks like a lot of us will experience surgery this week.  I want to wish everyone the best and I am sending good mojo/vibes out to everyone.  For those of us who are having a first time surgery, I am wishing for Stage 0 or 1 with no nodes on the pathology reports.  I also wish for the most boring outcomes with minimal decisions for continuing treatment :-).

I realize we all having different procedures with different decisions to make, but I am very happy WE ARE ALL HERE FOR EACH OTHER.  I'm a researcher, writer and talker and I can't imagine not having all of you to chat with.  These past 2 months since my dx have been a wild ride and I'm ready to face the next steps!

The Line Up For This Week

August 8th/Monday

Lilylad

tkdmomyn 

August 9th/Tuesday

alami

bluebecca

rjbaby69

August 10t/Wednesday

Rockym (ME)

Scilla

dixiebell

August 11th/Thursday

chulita

nanadeb

August 12th/Friday

dgmlmax

• blondelawyer
    blondelawyer Member Posts: 104
    edited August 2011
    Options

Good luck to everyone having surgery this week!

• nanadeb
    nanadeb Member Posts: 19
    edited August 2011
    Options

Wow...there is a lot having surgery this week.

My thoughts and prayers will be with you ALL !!!

Lots of new ones joining our group.So sad :(  

I am so behind I will never catch up until after my surgery.

I have so much stuff to do yet.

I ended up in the ER Saturday by ambulance.

And then tried to feel good enough for a family picnic giving for me.

I blogged all about it, if any of you want to know more.And added pics.

I look horrible after the day and night I had.

But somehow think its better then I will look Thursday after surgery :(

(((hugs))))

Debbi http://atoosassygal.blogspot.com/
  • blondelawyer
    blondelawyer Member Posts: 104
    edited August 2011
    Options

Sorry you ended up in the ER Debbi.  I hope that you feel much better very soon.  Hugs!

• dogeyed
    dogeyed Member Posts: 84
    edited August 2011
    Options

NANDEB, I read your hospital ER story here and on your blog, you stay on top of all these docs and nurses when you stay overnight as best you can, and especially when you come around after your surgery from anesthesia, you MAKE those nurses put you in the hospital room bed..."do not try this at home," you have NO business moving yourself around. And you tell your room's nurse you have whatever top two medical problems you have (BP etc.) AND that you would kindly appreciate them giving you pain relief every four hours, tell her that stuff right off the bat.  And if you need a nurse to come help you or need pain relief, when you call down to the main desk for your unit, ASK FOR YOUR NURSE to come forthwith to your room, instead of trying to explain to the front desk what you need, your own NURSE is who you should discuss any and all medical or medicine issues with.  That'smy advice, basedon how things went for me in hospital.

Also, Nanadeb, I was SO saddened to read on your website about that darling little girl who didn't make it.  And if this is any help to you understanding what happened, we are born into a life of survival, and these bad things that happen to good people along the way is not God's doing, rather it is the Evil One's doings.  God just does what he can to make disasters a positive experience for us.  For God and Evil are in a heavenly battle, with God winning out, and the reason we have so many crimes and illnesses and unexplicable insanity going on these days on earth is because the Devil knows his time is short, so God is winning not only the heavenly battle, but the one on this good earth also.  And when we pass away, like the little girl on your website and my dog, God gives the dead the most beautiful existence imaginable, where (paraphrase) He dries all our tears, death is no longer, and love and comfort are the sole aspects of our existence.

ALL, a few days ago I briefly re-read my first surgery post and I was truly out of my mind.  This past week's post-op has been a blur of a lot of soreness, changing bandages where my drain tubes had been almost pulled when I fell trying to get from the gurney down to the bed, and my sleep is all mixed up, and I cannot do one dang thing except stagger around my house counting the days for when they remove my drains.  I'm gonna tell my cancer clinic nurse to put an anticeptic salve and thick dressing on those two drainage incisions that even Godzilla couldn't take off.  I've been afraid to take a shower, I'm dizzy, so have just kept the drain places clean, alternating between damp cloth or kleenex of hydrogen peroxide and alcohol, in an effort to prevent infection.  So far my temp has hovered around 100 degrees, but my papers say 101 is the cut-off for calling to go back to hospital care, so I think I can make it this one last day until my drains come out tomorrow.  I am incredibly weak, sleepy, and on top of the surgery I've had a couple teeth that need pulling, and so they really hurt something fierce, worse than the surgery, plan to get them out sometime next week. They've needed pulling for months, but was told not to have dental work until chemo was over, and then wait until after surgery is over.  How I wish I had ignored that and gone ahead and had some teeth out long ago.  Thank heavens for pain medicines.  I take my own, plus the ones they finally called in for me, and I am of the opinion we shouldn't have to ASK for pain relief, for crying out loud.  I had a mastectomy, and chances are it's a gonna hurt, which mine sure did after my injury when I fell and pulled my drains and incision.

But once those drains come out, I'm going to be a happy camper.  Those things hurt like hell and I hate them, and I'm SO tired of bandaging something so hard to see whilst putting new gauze on, which is more or less under the arm.  One more day, tho, one more day.  I'm 60 years old, so I feel all these pains more than younger women, but just in case anybody has a problem, I've tried in this post to give my advice from my experience, justin case a few of you run into the trouble I had.  Love always, sister Gail