Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

August 2011 Surgery Group

Options
1252627282931»

Comments

• dixiebell
    dixiebell Member Posts: 170
    edited December 2017
    Options

I have now lost everyone in my origional support group. So glad to see a few left here. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited October 2018
    Options

Hi Dixiebell,
    I have not been back here this year....
    I often think of this group of lady warriors who have been through so much in 7 years.
    I had a year of medical issues and some chronic pain...was diagnosed with irritable bowel syndrome and learned to live with pain.
    In September, the pain changed and became intolerable.  After a 5 day stay in local hospital, and a dx of intestinal blockage, one wise doctor did tumor markers and my ovarian cancer marker was up.  After a 5 hours surgery, I had the blockages fixed and all female parts removed.  It was ovarian cancer all along, and no one ever diagnosed or suggested I have the test.  I see the oncologist today and will have treatment.  This is not the life interruption I was expecting.  No work...will probably retire.  
    Sorry to bring gloomy news....I am feeling well and pain-free.  I love my doctors and have hope for remission.  Chemo is all new for me....and I feel tired already!
    Sending love and hugs to all the August 2011 ladies wherever you are.
    xoxo
    Joan811

Remembering Lisa (thread founder)

• NancyJill
    NancyJill Member Posts: 127
    edited November 2018
    Options

Joan, Dixie and all,

I haven't checked in for a long time. I'm sorry to hear about your continued health challenges but am finding it good that there is some joy, also.

Yes, I'm almost 7 years cancer-free. I have been launching my 3 kids into adulthood: a first job, college, high school. I notice no lingering effects from BC except a PT told me Tamoxifen is partly to blame for my lack of muscle tone in my therapy for stress incontinence when I cough or jog. I'm doing Kegels and getting stronger in my core.

I'm thinking of getting my counselor license and focusing on cancer patients. I have 2 classes to take before I can take a certifying test. I used to be a therapist in Michigan. Now I'm in Illinois.

I'm thinking about a training I went to: Meaning Centered Psychotherapy. There are many ways to find joy: family, work, art, legacies. I'm inspired by all of you warriors!

Thank you and happy holidays!

NancyJil

• joan811
    edited February 2019
    Options

Hi NancyJill,
    I just checked in and was happy to see your post! Life does move quickly once the kids reach high school and beyond.
    It sounds like you have had a good 7 years post BC and that your family is doing well.
    I love that you have a goal of helping cancer patients through therapy. I hope your goals are near at hand.
    I am almost done with 18 weeks of chemo. I have done really well. I kept my hair by using the cold cap therapy. It is quickly thinning, but I should still have a substantial amount of hair when done. Most importantly, I have so far remained healthy throughout and just have to deal with side effects.

To all our August 2011 friends, I wish the very best in life and continued good health.
    Please do check in...we are forever connected by our determination and caring for others who shared in our experiences.
    Love and hugs,
    Joan

Joan811

• joan811
    edited October 2019
    Options

Well, August has come and gone, and it has been 8 years for most of us since diagnosis and surgery.
    I pray that life is good and you are doing well.

I had revealed I have a new ovarian cancer. It has been six months since chemo ended. I had an appointment last week. Blood work is good; scan was clear; and physical exam was also good. I am grateful to have this time of remission.

Remembering fondly our uncertain beginnings on our group pages, and how we helped one another through.
    May you be blessed with continued health and a good, long life.
    With love and prayers,
    Joan811

Remembering Lisa (thread founder)

• joan811
    edited November 2020
    Options

Hello August 2011 ladies,
    Well, it's November, 2020 -- the craziest year since we started our journeys on BCO.
    Although no one has checked in, I am thinking of all the ladies who have spent time here...how we had the list (still on the thread) of each of our surgeries and some dates...how we cared and cheered each other on.
    I came looking for information about what to expect. I found way more than I ever wanted to know. I was pretty intimidated by what I read about other women's surgeries and recovery.
    But one thing I learned is that we cannot look at someone else's experience to know what it will be like for us.
    We are all different.
    I am wishing you all well...good health and many happy days ahead.
    2020 has been such a difficult time, especially for anyone going through serious illness and dealing with the "virtual" medical approach.
    I am still in remission from ovarian cancer, and had planned to travel and visit family this year. I retired in January 2020 and have been disappointed in the restrictions. But grateful for healthy days.
    I try to remain positive.
    Happy holidays to each of you.
    Please do pop in to say hello. It's been 9 years but it seems more like 19 sometimes.
    Be well and be grateful.
    Love and Hugs,
    Joan

HeartRemembering Lisa who founded this thread; and all the dear ladies who have passed too soon from this dreaded disease.

• joan811
    edited October 2022
    Options

Hello to the August 2011 Surgery group
    It's been 11 years and not only have we had to deal with BC but now we are still dealing with the remnants of a global pandemic.
    I do not know of anyone still checking in here, but I do remember the wonderful support and advice given here, along with the tears, fears, and great courage among us.
    If anyone still gets email notifications, please check in and give an update.
    For me, I have been well and survived 2018 ovarian cancer surgery and chemo. I am grateful.
    Do not let a day pass without gratitude, love for another, fresh air, and hope for the future.
    Best wishes to all.
    Joan 811

In memory of Lisa, who founded this thread and who was lost too soon.

Heart

• profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304
    edited October 2022
    Options

Hi, Joan!!!

I haven't been checking back on this thread, but it is so nice to see you here! A bunch of us moved over to Facebook at some point or another--send me a PM and I can meet you over there for some more regular contact! :) xoxoxoxo

Cristy