Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

August 2011 Surgery Group

Options

Comments

• RangerMom
    RangerMom Member Posts: 205
    edited August 2011
    Options

tigerwoman - prayers and blessings to you for Monday, Please keep us posted.

To all my warrior women having surgery on tuesday like me, I pray God will keep us safe and our surgery will get all the cancer from our bodies. I wish we could all hang out in the same hospital room and be there for each other.Laughing

• Eema
    Eema Member Posts: 403
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hi Ladies!

Had my BMX 8/2, and I have to say, my pain has been awful. I don't want to scare anyone! Yesterday I ended up in the ED. Had a little infection, but the PS said he was more concerned with my pain.

So my visiting nurse was very concerned about the pain this past Friday. She called the BS and PS's NPs. BSs NP called and asked if I had followed up on the psych veal I was given. I told her I was never given a psych eval.... SHE HAD THE WRONG PATIENT! She went on to say I probably could use one too, then told me to use ice and a compression bra. When I talked to the PS's NP and the ER PS, both told me heat and ice were dangerous for me since I have no feeling in my chest, and a compression bra would make the pain worse, since I still have drains. All in all, a frustrating day yesterday!

• halo1horns2
    halo1horns2 Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hi! I'm new to this site. Wish I would have found earlier.April 2011 I was rediagnosed with DCIS. The first round in 2008 I had lumpectomy, SN biopsy, mammosite placement with radiation. All was good until it came back. On Aug 2, 2011 I had BMX with TE reconstruction. It hasn't been bad. I read many of you are scared. I guess my lucky part is I'm a surgery nurse. I was scared of the pain. It hasn't been unbearable. If I can tell anyone getting ready be prepared. advise I received before mine. Think about your clothes. I got a couple balloon style tube tops. These have worked perfect. Also a friend took extra large soft tshirts, cut them open in front and sewed pockets on inside. I wore them like jackets over tube tops. I have a camisole but it feels tight. I usethe drain pockets from the camisole and Velcro to my ace wrap. Be sure you have everything at counter top height. I even keep my clothes I wear right now folded on a chest. No digging in drawers pulling on drawers, reaching up, or worst reaching down to pick up something. Nobody warned me about reaching down for something. Also I use yarn to tie my drains around my neck for showers. Other idea was lanyard. Keep your drains secure to you at all times, this keeps them from pulling. Use a little Liquid soap when you strip your drain tube when emptying drains. I'm single and did most of this on my own. The hardest part for me has been letting go and letting people do things for me. It's been 2 weeks and I'm ready to be out and active. Dr removed one of my drains still waiting on 2nd one to slow down. The worse part is the "tingling" feeling around my skin. The feeling when clothes touch me in places that I guess aren't used to it. Just wonder what's next. I have a few bruises on my chest were the TE are. Is this normal? How long will I feel rundown? My dr doesn't have exercises and I cant seem to find the ones for me. Any help would be appreciated. If I can help any of you just send me a message.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited August 2011
    Options

Dogeyed,Thank you for your advice re: dental work.  I am still thinking about it. (I am, like you, ~60) It IS hard to drag myself for extractions before surgery, especially when family wants to visit and I want to work a few days.  I've already done the cardiac clearances, blood work, dental check, 2nd opinion, running around with records and slides;  always a medical appointment.  I selfishly want some down time while I feel OK.  But I hear your wisdom.
    Lilylady, I feel as I have little place to comment since I have not had surgery yet; but your concerns are not minor.  I hope and pray you get your questions answered and that your discomfort subsides quickly.   

Anyone ...
    Doctors keep telling me I am going to be OK or "fine" and I do not know what that means yet.  I want to believe it, and I guess that's OK for starters.
    My BS (away this week) did not order an MRI but my phone consult with another BS told me it is important.  Confused.  Do BSs only concern themselves with breasts?  I am of course wondering if anything was missed, or if more information can be gathered; or if I should scan my whole body.
    I am trying not to worry, but that's unlikely. 
    My prayers go out to each of you who faces surgery and results this week.

• abatellik
    abatellik Member Posts: 22
    edited August 2011
    Options

Thank you all for your prayers and well wishes!  I am extremely blessed to have 2 churches of people here supporting me and praying for me, and I know that is the only thing keeping me calm at this point. Except of course for reading this thread, which has helped me to realize you guys have gotten through it and I will too! One day at a time for all of us....

Also, I know I am a little late on this comment (and I don't remember who made it), but I also have been mourning when I see my friends nursing their babies. Such a bonding experience with my first 2 (we're hoping to have more when the 5 years of tamoxifen are up. It is so strange to think that I would be bottle feeding when I have never even made a bottle of formula before!

I want you all to know that you are in my prayers daily, especially those with upcoming or recent surgeries.

• blondelawyer
    blondelawyer Member Posts: 104
    edited August 2011
    Options

Thanks for checking in those of you that have had your procedure.  Mine is on Tuesday and I'm a bit anxious.  Not about any one thing in particular...just generalized.  I am still in a lot of pain, but the pain meds help.  This tumor has become increasingly bothersome (even though I did chemo), so I am really glad it is coming out.  Tomorrow is going to be a busy pre-op day.  I have a blood draw, MRI, training session with the nurse, and then an injection for my SNB.  My FIL and friend are both getting into town tomorrow and we are going out to a nice dinner at a new restaurant in my neighborhood.  I guess the good thing about having a busy day tomorrow is that it will go quickly and will get me to sugery.  I check in for surgery at 5:30 am on Tuesday morning.

• blondelawyer
    edited August 2011
    Options

For you gals who have had surgery so far, any words of advice for us who have it coming up?  Are you able to sleep okay in your bed?  I've read on other threads about sleeping in a recliner.  I have the special camis and have help lined up (I live alone, but my FIL and a friend are going to be here).  Anything else I need?  Thanks!

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Blondelawyer, Best wishes and prayers for a good day tomorrow and for your surgery day and quick recovery.  Thanks for starting the August group. 
  • Eema
    edited August 2011
    Options

Blonde lawyer, get a wedge for sleeping and you can be in your own bed, but be aware, if you are having BMX, it might be hard to extricate yourself from bed. Get the biggest wedge you can-- I got mine from Bed Bath and Beyond, but one from a med supply place would have given me more options. My home nurse said bed was best, but I have a recliner, too. First night home I slept in the recliner and I woke up with horrible neck pain in addition to surgical pain. Not so fun.

One thing that is nice to have, also from BB&B is one of those computer bed trays. I use it for my iPad and as a meal tray. Nice with the wedge-- you can stand the wedge up backward and then use the bed tray for complete comfort!

One big thing-- hate to go there, but colace and smooth move tea have been very important. I went 6 days without pooping and that pain was almost worse than the surgery! Sorry for TMI, but keep regular, you don't want to strain those stitches!

Good luck, I'll be thinking about you! Tuesday is a good day for surgery!

• lilylady
    lilylady Member Posts: 478
    edited August 2011
    Options

Blondelawyer-as far as sleeping I bought the wedge pillow from Bed Bath and Beyond ($29) and it has been a godsend. I also use a smaller flatter pillow on top of it.  It comes with a cover and you can buy additional covers for $10. I also have a pillow on either side of my body for my arms to lay on. When I go to bed or get up I just try to stiffen my back and roll my legs in or out first then lay back or raise up. Putting your arms down to push yourself up is  a no-no. I also started taking Ambien again-I haven't used it in months but I probably wouldn't have been able to sleep with out it. But again-I had no nodes or recon-from what I have read the TEs make a huge difference in mobility.

I have not needed much help and I have went out every day since my surgery. I use a fanny pack for my drains (which come out tomorrow YAY). I started driving at Day 5. I have worked in the garden, walked, done some cooking and dishwashing but have stayed strictly away from anything over 5 lbs. I really stocked the house up before surgery both with groceries, books and movies, pet food and suppplies.

I might also suggest putting some favorite snacks in your purse for the hospital. They starved me on my overnight stay. The only thing they offered was saltines and diet vanilla pudding. I would have killed for some Cheddar Goldfish and a little piece of chocolate. Their food was horrible!!

Thinking about all our Monday girls and hoping for the very best results.

• FLwarrior
    FLwarrior Member Posts: 614
    edited August 2011
    Options

RangerMom and Blondelawyer ~ Tomorrow is our big day.  I wanted to send both of you very well wishes. Tomorrow afternoon, I will think of you both and hope that we are all three resting comfortably and on the hi-way to rapid recovery. I am not taking my laptop to the hospital with me, so I'll check in after I get back home. (((Group HUG)))

• chulita
    chulita Member Posts: 16
    edited August 2011
    Options

I find that sleeping in the recliner is more beneficial for me. I use a travel pillow on my neck for support and a regular pillow to rest my arm on. That helps with the comfort level and also with flexibility. Its been 4 days since the surgery and im surprised at the range of movement I have. One thing that I havent read about is the burning sensation I get when I lean forward. the pain meds help with it though. The burning is almost a sarning sign that its almost time to pop the pills again. The PS said I was able to shower once I got home but am uncomfortable with the idea so I shower from the waist down and spongebath my top half. I have not had a bowel movement yet and thay has me a little concerned. My home nurse said I could double up on th e colace os hopefully that will help. All in all it hasnt been as bad as I anticipated. Main thing is to get as much rest as possible and do but dont overdo if that makes any sense. Hugs to you all...

• bobeena
    bobeena Member Posts: 46
    edited August 2011
    Options

Has anyone used a post surgical camisole? (I saw you have one to blondelawyer). I was wondering if they are worth the expense.

Wishing all the best to everyone having surgery this week.

• Scilla
    Scilla Member Posts: 8
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hi girls,  

I'm back - and according to my surgeon my mastectomy went well. Well yes, they did remove my left breast, but they also took 5 nodes in the process having said they would only remove one or two sentinel nodes!  The BS then decided to take out my drains after 12 hours (apparently, they were not filling), but, surprise surprise, I then developed a seroma and she decided the drains may have initially been put in the wrong place. It's strange, but I could have sworn the drains needed to be in for at least the first few days after surgery.

The hospital were ready to discharge me the morning after the operation (no, I couldn't believe it either), but I felt terrible and started vomiting so I was kept in. I finally arrived home on Saturday afternoon and am now being very well cared for by my family.

I have an impressive scar about 20 cm long across my chest which swooshes around like a water bed (apparently, that's the seroma). Fortunately, I'm not in much pain at the moment; the surgery area, shoulder and armpit feel quite numb, but I have an aching feeling all the way down to my fingers. I don't know if all of this is normal or if it will improve. I also discovered a new mound of flesh under my armpit which makes moving my arm backwards and forwards difficult and uncomfortable - is this a so called 'dog ear' and has anyone else got one of these rather unattractive additions? 

I now have a follow up with the BS in 2 weeks to find out the finals pathology results. I've been doing some initial exercises, but I don't know how hard to push it. Any advice would be welcome.

Thank you for all the kind words of support before the op and just to add that I'm thinking of abatellik, stcc, tlaquepaque, TML, blondelawyer, FLwarrior, RangerMom today. I now know that everybody's journey is different, but - to the ladies that are still to embark on theirs - I'm hoping yours is one of the easier ones.

Take care

Scilla

• dogeyed
    dogeyed Member Posts: 84
    edited August 2011
    Options

SCILLA, caught your post just before I put this one, so am adding this in.  Yes, it is normal to feel that achiness all the way down your arm, it is sort of a swelling thing.  Just squeeze your hands in and out a lot, gently squeeze your arm up and down with lotion, hold them outside knees when sitting and twist them around one way and then the other, like stretching.  And yes, I also have these oddball flabby places around my arm and on side, just hate it, but it is also a swelling feature.  Compare it to the other side, you'll see those "ears."  The drains will get rid of some of it, and when they come out, then you can put those 4x8" freezer packs alongside the top inner arm and also so it reaches where the drains were, just hold it in there, I wrap it in a silk scarf.  As for how far to push exercises, I pushed as hard as I wanted to***, and also used arm and pulling it more than I probably should.  The hardest is getting it over your shoulder after drains come out, and I am very careful with that.  I wound up with a very tight muscle group in my lower back on the side of the surgery, got on floor and rolled it out.

***8/17 CHANGE:  Please, ladies, this does not mean to OVERDO.  Exercises I had to follow were very mild, and I did not do them frequently becuz I was so wiped out.  But sometimes I would reach too far with the surgery side and I could feel it pull too hard in my arm.  But as someone else posts much later in this forum, you don't want to disturb your incision area, so always guard against that.

LILYLADY, I had the same chafing in my armpit and upper arm, especially where the drains were, and this continued even AFTER they got the drains out.  So, what I did was, I found a silk-type scarf and hung it inside my t-shirt arm so it wouldn't rub, and also i finally took to icing in my armpit.  Husband has these 8" x 4" or so rectangular freezer packets, I take them out of there and wrap that same scarf around it, and I put one end inside next to where my drains were, and the other end right up against my upper inside arm.  I guess I ice it maybe two-three times a day, and it DOES bring the swelling down little by little, actually have a new spot where it does not rub anymore.  Lotion didn't seem to help, but I put it.  As for the appearance, I just had one breast off, but anyway, to me, I just look like the one-armed man, kind of battle-scarred, you know.  If anyone inquires, I'm gonna tell people I went too far down the Bayou and got into a knife fight.  You CAN decide later to get reconstruction. 

EEMA, I was SO glad to hear someone else felt pain, too.  I was miserable up until yesterday, and that's about two weeks since surgery.  I let my pain meds run out, and, like an idiot, I didn't ask for a refill.  You'll read in my post to Lily what I did with icing it.  Another woman did it that I read about here, and so I felt like it would be okay.  I would have been VERY troubled if they had mixed me up with another patient, too!  Gosh, you poor thing.  I hope you get sorted out.

CHULITA, That burning sensation when you lean forward, I have deduced it is pressure on the incision site, I feel it sort of in the front, so I try not to lean forward very much.

BLONDELAWYER, As for TIPS AFTER SURGERY to those who have not had surgery, I gave some much further back in this forum, but my tips had more to do with how to handle the period of time in the HOSPITAL ROOM right after the surgery, so I'll give it again here:  (a) Do NOT try to slip over into the bed from a gurney; MAKE them move you to the bed.  This is because I did move and I fell and pulled really hard on my drains and my incision, bleeding everywhere, lots of lasting pain.  (b) Tell your room nurse when you meet her that you want pain medicines every four hours, and you want your own medicines at whatever times you usually take them (tell her the times), and tell her what other health issues you have.  This is because my nurse would leave for hours on end and I didn't have anybody to ask for pain control, etc.  (c)  If you have to push the button to talk to the main desk, do NOT tell them whatever your problem is; simply ask for your nurse or any nurse, insist.

When I got home, I was able to move around a lot better than I thought.  I wore large soft T-shirts inside-out, I could pull them off easily by getting good arm out first, then sliding it off the bad side.  Get some safety pins in case you wind up pinning your drain bulbs to that T-shirt.  Get some bandaging materials, both square pads and long rolls that wrap around your chest, and also some medical white tape, you MAY need them if your drains leak.  You need to have a mirror where you can see where the drains come out.  I wanted to sleep on the couch becuz I was afraid to go to bed (I was nervous), husband almost always fell asleep in the recliner with me whilst watching TV, you'll need a bunch of pillows of all sizes.  I ate frozen micro meals, cereal and Milk, OJ, V-8, and you need a source of IRON (I ate spinach).  Ask someone to fix a very large pot of your favorite meal, and for me it was my large noodle & sour cream & cream of mushroom soup dish.  Have plenty of snacks and deserts.  You will need Smooth Move tea and some laxatives, including suppositories, to get the digestion moving; it IS going to stop up big-time.  When you're discharged from the hospital and they ask if you need pain pills, JUST SAY YES, whether you think you will or not.  GG 

• rockym
    rockym Member Posts: 357
    edited August 2011
    Options

Happy news is fleeting :-).  SNB came back negative, but I was waiting for the final pathology  before doing a happy dance.  Final now says that .7cm is a 1.2cm.  SNB is still negative, but there were two nodes touching the tumor and 1 came back with micromets. BS and I discussed this yesterday and the Oncologist will have to discuss this more with me, but it seems like MAYBE it didn't spread as much as the node was "adjoined." BS also took 3 other nodes out near the same area and 1 other came back with micromets.  So, here I am... what was almost a no brainer of RADS and HT is now a decision making process again.

Fortunately, my BS met me at his office yesterday (Sunday) to take out my drain and freshen me up from the emergency surgery that happened last Thursday.  Where are the days going??  Oh how I want some normalacy back to my life, but I realize that isn't going to happen for a bit.

I have to say that I'm PISSED OFF! Doctor is calling me young, but almost 47 isn't 35-40.  Also, now I'm 2/6node positive, but these aren't "typical" positives.  BS said that my tumor was under my arm to begin with and he says we'll have to see what the research says about "true" spreading.  I asked about Onoctype, but he mentioned that is usually for no node ladies, but we may do it anyway. Isn't it fun to be the unique one :-)?

I was always raised to be happy that we are all different, now I'm just ticked off.  How the heck does someone decide what to do with their life when there are so many unknowns?

• nanadeb
    nanadeb Member Posts: 19
    edited August 2011
    Options

I am praying for you all that still have surgery.

I had a really really rough time . Will post more later

I am still in a lot of pain and lots of nausea

I am just home from my Moms and will be heading back there in a few minutes.

I did make a post on my blog so all of my family and friends know I'm ok.

Debbi  http://atoosassygal.blogspot.com/
  • lilylady
    edited August 2011
    Options

Am I the only one who has had an easy time of it with surgery? I am here to encourage all the Tuesday and Wednesday ladies that not everyone has a bad time of it. I am not thrilled with the way I look but it is becoming easier to deal with. I get my drains out tomorrow. I have been driving  and showering since Day 5.

I am sorry that the collective experience has been not so good but wishing the best for our friends up next

• Eema
    edited August 2011
    Options

To whomever asked about th camisole, it is a life-saver, but get the one that closes in the front. The one you step into provides too much compression.

Had my tubes out today, yay! Wow, it was exhausting. They didn't hurt coming out, but I'm really sore and drained now, and need a nap. I have to chill for 3-4 days, then I can work on ROM exercises. I can drive, too, if I'm not drugged!

They gave me lots more pain meds and I'm going to a pain clinic. I'm also telling my BS about the NP--the PS said he wanted me to, because she could have really hurt me, but also dispensing advice for which she is not trained!

• IsThisForReal
    IsThisForReal Member Posts: 154
    edited August 2011
    Options

Ladies, can you add me to your list?  I'm having BLM on Aug. 24th, skin sparing.  Can anyone tell me what to expect afterward?

• lyluH
    lyluH Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2011
    Options

I found out 8/4 that I have BC, it's 2 cm invasive ductal cancer in left breast.  Supposedly ER+.  I don't feel like I was told enough after reading all these posts in various forums.  Holy cow.  I was disappointed it was taking so long to get the mx but with working full time it's been hard to fit in everything I need to do to get ready.  I'm scheduled for Friday 8/19.  I'm starting to freak out.  I've talked with the surgeon's nurse about what to expect and I'm still confused and concerned.  What are the first few days like after surgery.  I'm having the TE implant.  I wanted to lessen the amount of surgery and hassle.  Do I need someone to help me at home the first few days?

• RangerMom
    RangerMom Member Posts: 205
    edited August 2011
    Options

blondlawyer, FLWarrior - here we go! Tomorrow is our day! Its hard to believe its here. I'm kind of excited, kind of scared and kind of relieved to have this over with. I'm taking 2 sleeping pills tonight. My surgery isn't till 2:00 pm tomorrow so I have all morning to stay busy. I think I'm waking myself up in the middle of the night to have a snace too since I can't eat all day. I'm not taking my laptop with me so will post when I get home. Thank you all for keeping us in your prayers! Love and Hugs to all,

Linda 

• lauraqm
    lauraqm Member Posts: 2
    edited August 2011
    Options

I thought we do not need to do the Lym node dissection if it is only DCIS, maybe I am missing something?

• Eema
    edited August 2011
    Options

LyluH, YES!!! My parents have been here for two weeks and I've needed every second!

Good luck to the ladies going tomorrow. Most important advice I was given is REST! You will really need it!

• FLwarrior
    FLwarrior Member Posts: 614
    edited August 2011
    Options

RangerMom,  I have the same mixed feelings you do...kinda excited, kinda scared and kinda relieved!  I am ready to get on the other side of this and work on "moving on"!  I am supposed to be there at 8:45am so a mid to late morning surgery time for me. Best to you tomorrow!
    (HUGS!)

• susanwmcg
    susanwmcg Member Posts: 36
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hello group...been taking our girls to college so have been away again. I think three or four of you had surgery today and three of you tomorrow. Prayers and hugs to you all. I am one week out and getting nervous. Finally got some Ambien and that is helping. My pre-op physical was all normal so fingers crossed that the PS won't find anything and surgery will be on schedule. Thanks for all of the info you ladies have been sharing....it helps so much.

Susan

• blondelawyer
    edited August 2011
    Options

I am packing my hospital bag right now and trying not to vomit--I tend to have a nervous stomach and am a ball of nerves today!  I hope that everything goes well for all of us. I will probably be off-line for a couple of days, but will check in as soon as I get back online.

Good luck everyone! 

• dogeyed
    dogeyed Member Posts: 84
    edited August 2011
    Options

BLONDELAWYER, you're funny, trying not to vomit!  Smile. 

NANADEB, anytime someone is uncomfortable or in pain, and with you it's your breathing, it makes you feel sad and upset.  I'm glad they're changing your pain meds, they help a lot. 

I do want to say that while I had a hard time with surgery, I really didn't worry about it at all, and when it was over, aside from getting injured after surgery, which I think was unusual and atypical, it generally wasn't too hard.  You just feel a little loopy for a few days, normally the incision doesn't hurt much, but recovery does take its sweet time, so lots of rest is normal.  Getting drains out will feel like Christmas, and I've read this from SO many others, and you will see why when you start dealing with those dang things!  If tiredness is too much, try to get some iron and protein in you.  GG

• lilylady
    edited August 2011
    Options

Praying for all the Tuesday girls. Before they put me to sleep my BS made the sign of the cross on my forehead and then kissed the spot. 1 of the nurses was holding 1 hand and the anes. guy was holding the other. I was kind of twi-lighty at that point but it was a nice way to go to sleep.

Hoping for a peaceful sleep and a calm waking for all of you

• TML
    TML Member Posts: 10
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hello ladies...  

Good surgery blessings to all those having surgery.  My date has finally been set and it was moved to Sept 12.  I do not know how to change it within this forum, but I wanted everyone to know who has been wishing 'well wishes'.  I wanted to get all my 'ducks in a row' and make sure I was taking the right path for me.  I believe I have done that.  My PS and my BS are working together to do the reconstruction and I pray all goes well.  I do not think there is a September 2011 group yet, so I will just hang out here for awhile.

Tracey