Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

August 2011 Surgery Group

Options

Comments

• FLwarrior
    FLwarrior Member Posts: 614
    edited August 2011
    Options

Blondelawyer ~ Glad to hear you are doing well.  Do you know how many nodes you had removed? I forgot to ask BS how many of mine she removed, but I will ask her on Wednesday when I see her.  My arm pit area is more sore than the chest area.  I am not sure on the length of time to keep your help. Hopefully your MO can give you a good idea tomorrow.  My mom is here with me and planning to stay until I am back at work.  I was told the same as you, no heavy lifting and not to walk the dog because of pulling.  What kind of dog do you have?  My BS ordered home health care visits from an RN for 5 days...I was really spacing out my pain meds, because I felt what I was experiencing was more annoying/tender rather than actual pain. Just a 1 or 2 on the scale of 0 to 10.  The RN told me to continue taking the pain meds that if I stopped it would slow the healing process.  She said that the body would sense any pain and go into "stress" mode, which would slow down healing.  Don't want that, so I am taking the pain meds every 6 hrs as directed by BS. RN also suggested taking temp and pulse twice a day: 1) rising heart rate would indicate the body was sensing pain or 2) rising temp could indicate infection.

• rowan47
    rowan47 Member Posts: 64
    edited August 2011
    Options
    Hi ladies, good to hear you mostly doing well after surgery etc. I had BMX last Thursday. Went really well and am feeling GREAT!! Home now and last 2 drains out later today, I hope. It was so much easier than I thought; very minimal pain, just having panadol twice a day....can't wait to start running!! Quite enjoying the flat look.; clothes hang nicely Smile
  • lilylady
    lilylady Member Posts: 478
    edited August 2011
    Options

blondelawyer-I fired my help after day 5. Poor dog hasn't had a walk in 2 weeks-I am 2 weeks post-op tomorrow. We will be heading out the door bright and early tomorrow for our first one together. I have been walking since day 2-not very far or fast at first but getting better every day. I think she hates it worse that I cannot throw a ball for her. I have finally had to hide them from her. I feel worse for her than I do for me.

I figured everything I couldn't reach or that was too heavy just wasn't that important or could wait for whomever came to visit. Has been just fine.

I had my girlfriends over for dinner tonight and had a big reveal. They wanted to see my scars and I wanted to show them. They were amazed that the incisons are do healed. Even better they brought little gifts. They are probably going to lay in bed tonight and pray they never get BC!!

• bobeena
    bobeena Member Posts: 46
    edited August 2011
    Options

Sending positive vibes out to those having their surgeries this week!

Thanks to everyone who has had surgery for sharing your progress and healing, both good and unexpected outcomes. You are all in my thoughts. I am in preparation mode as my OR date gets closer. Cleaning, meal planning, getting kids ready to start school and exercising are becoming my distractions. I am getting more nervous about what my chest will look like after - just have to keep reminding myself that I will still be me.

• KatheW
    KatheW Member Posts: 28
    edited August 2011
    Options

Dixiebell,

Sorry you are in so much pain. Can you get more/different pain meds? Axillary node excision can be very painful (and lead to scar tissue formation). I had 14 nodes removed during a lumpectomy +  2 months physical therapy to regain full use of my left arm. In April I had a MX which inflammed the armpit again, so more physical therapy. And now radiation has aggravated it yet again.

Thankfully the drains are not bothering you too much. I hope the pain subsides soon!

Kathe 

• dogeyed
    dogeyed Member Posts: 84
    edited August 2011
    Options

BlondeLawyer,

I imagine whatever your MO and BS say, you can go by that.  But if you have drains, I'd wait until those were out, a day or so after, before I'd let everyone go.  Now, I was told not to drive for two weeks, so you got another week on that, unless you think your left arm can handle turning the wheel.  I'm three weeks out and don't WANT to drive, but I think I could right now if I had to.  I had planned end of this week to drive with husband riding, to see how I can do.  See, I have husband, so it's hard for me to gauge what to advise, plus I'm 60 years old, started out disabled from a back injury, so I'm diff from you.  As long as you can do ordinary things, with the exception of dogs, seems to me you'lll be okay.  If you let everyone go and something comes up, just call a friend or relative to come over for a little bit one day.  Ohhhhh, I just read over this, I'm no help at all!!!  Smile. 

Take care, GG

• blondelawyer
    blondelawyer Member Posts: 104
    edited August 2011
    Options

thanks for the advice.  I will talk to my MO today.  What I may do is send the dog to my friend's house so that I don't have to worry about her, but I'm not sure.  And I'm also not sure about driving.  So, we'll see.

I took a little step backwards pain wise yesterday.  I think that things that have been numb are starting to wake up and causing pain.  It is manageable--I was just so happy to be off narcotics and doing so well.

My chest looks horrendous, so I am really trying not to focus on that.  Part of it is the staples (I hope).  

Someone made a comment to me about surgery giving me a lot of energy--it wasn't the surgery, it is not being on chemo!  Man, does it feel nice.  I'll probably get a new chemo recommendation today, so it might be short-lived.

Good luck to everyone who has surgery this week, happy healing to those of us in recovery, calming prep to those preparing for surgery, and peace for us all! 

• rockym
    rockym Member Posts: 357
    edited August 2011
    Options

Wishing good luck and good news to susanwmcg, profee, Mags and IsThisForReal this week!

I hope each and every one of you has an easy time with your procedures.  We are here for you to ask questions, bitch or just provide empathy.  This isn't easy for any of us.  Life is difficult enough at times and when you throw in surgery, caring for kids, dealing with work, etc. it can be overwhelming.  I've always been superwomen so this has been a wake-up call about what I can control and what I can't.  Life is about balance so let's hope we all can balance this into our lives.

Best wishes!!

• mags20487
    mags20487 Member Posts: 1,092
    edited August 2011
    Options

I am so glad to read these posts today 1 day out!  I am actually (weirdly) excited that the ball is rolling and I feel like the fight has begun.  The surgery does not scare me as much as the testing that is to come.  I am so grateful to all of you who are willing to post your experiences for us to feed off and it really calms me down knowing that you have done it and so can I!  Will post asap after surgery to let you all know how it goes so that those who are waiting in the wings can benefit

Maggie

• IsThisForReal
    IsThisForReal Member Posts: 154
    edited August 2011
    Options

Thank you so much, Rockym.  Wednesday is coming up fast and I have to say I am 'almost' looking forward to it.  I still can't believe I'll have an 80% less chance of recurrance with PMX's.  That's just incredible and anything to avoid chemo and local recurrence sounds good to me. 

I'm thinking of the other ladies having Sx this week, and sending warm thoughts.  Also to those healing, thank you for posting your experiences and may you heal very quickly.

I'm hoping to be able to start posting my experience on this thread for others as early as Thursday when I return home, or Friday.  I know the information shared is so valueable to me, and I hope to be able to give to someone else.  

Cheryl 

• profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304
    edited August 2011
    Options

Thanks, Rockymom and others.  I totally agree...reading your experiences has helped calm me, and I hope to pay it back by posting my good experiences (see...positive thinking!) as soon as possible after my surgery tomorrow!  I can't say I'm looking forward to it, but it does feel like the other side of this will be a downhill ride from here!  :)

Lots of love to all of you.  Warm, healing thoughts to us all!

Cris 

• nanadeb
    nanadeb Member Posts: 19
    edited August 2011
    Options

I am so sorry I have been able to offer so little support over the last week since my surgery.

I had a really bad time . Enough said about that.

Today I went to my Drs at Cleveland clinic and they removed the drains.

So much better.

But path results were not good at all.

And very upset that a nuclear body scan that I had showed spots on my thyroid , yet they told me it was clear.

I posted all about the path results on my blog :(

Lots of Drs appointments coming up still for heart cath, stents...chemo ...more surgery etc.

My thoughts have been with you all thru the last week,

And I read when I can...even if I cant post.

Debbi  http://atoosassygal.blogspot.com/

• lilylady
    lilylady Member Posts: 478
    edited August 2011
    Options

Thinking of all good things for our surgery people this week. One more huge thing to put behind us-and that much closer to finishing. Good luck to the all of you.

• Dukes_Up
    Dukes_Up Member Posts: 112
    edited August 2011
    Options

Popping in from the Sept 2011 Surgery Group to send quick healing vibes to all of you incredibly brave ladies. 

profbee:  I'll be thinking of you tomorrow!  Oh and I just noticed that you're not all that far from me(I'm in Maine!) 

• dawmson
    dawmson Member Posts: 17
    edited August 2011
    Options

Better late than never joining this group! I'm scheduled for a lumpectomy and SNB on August 30th. I've known about my cancer for about 2 months now and have spent the time trying to figure out which way I wanted to go. I went as far as signing the consent for a BLM with reconstruction and then had a change of heart and decided on the lumpectomy. 

I had my pre-op appointment with my BS today and had a strange exam. He was attempting to find my tumor with ultrasound and said he had difficulty locating it (even though there was a clip in it from my core biopsy) and that it looked different than it did on my earlier U/S and mammograms. By different he meant smaller and much harder to see. He said it's possible that the biopsy removed most of the tumor (it was 9mm to start with). Does that sound plausible? When I go for surgery they'll do a wire localization to pinpoint it. Still, I'm hoping they find the right spot!

I was happy to hear that it's only local anesthesia and sedation ... I assumed I'd be going completely under. 

Thanks BlondeLawyer for starting this group. I'm in Seattle too.

Debbie 

• Natters
    Natters Member Posts: 19
    edited August 2011
    Options

Debbie, I just had a lumpectomy with wire loc under local with sedation and I can tell you that it's not bad at all. I did ask for a pill to take before the wire loc and my BS prescribed Ativan. So maybe that helped but I found the whole experience to be much less painful and difficult than the core biopsy. The wire loc only took 15 min and I got to stand at the mammo machine. I think it's entirely possible that the biopsy got a good chunk if not most of your tumor since it was already more of a speck than a lump. That is what my BS called mine, a speck, and it's the same as yours (less than 1 cm). I I took surgery day off work and then did a little work from home the next day, but basically took that day off, too. So I gave myself a 3-day weekend and only went back to work today. E hardest part has been remembering not to lift anything heavy or run when my dog pulls during a walk or anything like that. I am a little sore here and there, but nothing a Tylenol cant fix. No worse than the biopsy soreness, actually. I am trying toe patient, though, and really baby myself because I got a big fat hematoma from the biopsy. I think you might have a longer recovery bc of the SNB, but at least you won't have the general anesthesia recovery to deal with.

• blondelawyer
    edited August 2011
    Options

I got my pathology report back and overall things were good.  80% of my huge (9.7 cm) tumor was dead tissue--so the chemo was definitely killing it.  They only found one positive node, and that was 0.6mm, which my oncologist called a micro-met.  He said that it is almost the same as no positive nodes.  My tumor did penetrate my chest wall so there is not a clear margin there, but my oncologist was very happy with the results.  He said that he is not as concerned about the chest wall because I was going to have to do radiation anyway.  For additional chemo, he is thinking that I might be able to just do a mild oral chemo along with the rads.  

I meet with the surgeon on Wednesday and then the RO on Thursday.  The three of them will then meet and come up with a plan recommendation.  Then I see the oncologist again next Monday.  So, I should have a plan soon and I am feeling more optimistic about everything. 

• profbee
    profbee Member Posts: 304
    edited August 2011
    Options

Yay, BlondeLawyer!  You're due for good news!  :)  I'm happy that you're happy.

Train...thanks.  Where in Maine are you? 

Welcome, Debbie.  That sounds like great news to me.  You did great catching it early.

Well friends, I'm off to put a few things in a bag--not really bringing much with me to the hospital.  I can't really see the point.  I hope I'm doing the right thing.  I remember when I had my son I brought so much stuff and used none of it.  I can't WAIT to check back in and say that I'm safe and sound.  Thanks again for taking this journey with me.  

Cris 

• blondelawyer
    edited August 2011
    Options

You'll do great Cris (I also didn't take much with me and didn't use what I took except my iPod and my clothes to go home in)

• tigerw0man
    tigerw0man Member Posts: 59
    edited August 2011
    Options

I had my nipple-sparing mastectomies last Monday, and evrything went very well. the PS used Alloderm to get me to 2/3of my normal size right away. It was quite painful after the anesthesia wore off and they had to switch me from Percocet to Dlaudid as the Percocet wasn't cutting it. I went home Thursday evening and have been sleeping comfortably in the recliner ever since. My PS just wrapped some gauze and an Ace bandage around me for the first24 hours, then removed the bandages Leaving just steristrips. He advised me NOT to wear any type of compression garment. He mentioned that the compression could cut off the blood supply to the nipples and they could die and fall off. Needless to say. Have just been weRinv loose soft otton shirts. My nipples have been dry and scaly, and one of the. Was turning almost black in spots and was hard like it had a shell? I was worried that I was going to lose the nipple, but have been keeping moistened with Neosporin and thy are doing muh better now, jus peeling a little. I have 2 drains that I think will be removed on Wednesday! The drainage has started to taper off. My PS had said no showering until the drains are removed, I can't wait to take a long hot shower later this week. Also, they told me not to do any exercises until my drains are removed. I have chronic pain in my neck and shoulders so I do try to roll my shoulders back to stretch my chest regularly. I am also taking a few walks each day. I have frequent musc,e spasms in my chest and haven't found anything to relieve them quickly when they happen, besides taking muscle relaxants regularly. My biggest complaint is constipation from the pain drugs. I am drinking lots of water and am eating raw veggies! But still can't pass anything. Yhet had to give me milk of magnesia in the hospital last week, which did the trick. I just sent my husband t the store so I can try again. I feel like I'm 5 months pregnant. :)

I hope those of you who have already had your surgeries continue to heal. Those whose surgeries are yet to come, I wish you the best! Just try to stay positive, attitude can make a big difference. :)

• Natters
    Natters Member Posts: 19
    edited August 2011
    Options

My DR told me to make sure to take a laxative each night as long as I was on the pain pills - they will make you very constipated! Send DH to the drugstore for some Senokot, tiger.

• tigerw0man
    edited August 2011
    Options

Thanks Natters! I was worried about taking them too often! But as long as your DR said it was okay, I'm going to start taking it very night. I'm very fortunate in thAt I have had several friends and family members brining meals over every night, but have been too uncomfortable to eat much. Ad I know that good nutrition is important to healing as well.

• FLwarrior
    edited August 2011
    Options

Cris and Mags wishing you both very good outcomes tomorrow with surgery, clean margins and peaceful rest! 

I did not have much packed in my hospital bag either.  Toothbrush, toothpaste a couple of snacks, magazines and clothes to wear home. 

Yes, the pain meds will cause constipation.  I have taken a stool softener each night since surgery.  I do not take Senakot because it causes me to have cramps.  I have found that Phillips stool softener is a cramp free formula and works great.

Tomorrow is a week out for me and I am happy to share with you that the healing has been easier and is going better than I had imagined.  My incision looks good.  I do not have staples.  My BS used stitches under the skin and some sort of "skin glue" on the outside, pretty amazing stuff.  Since I do not have stitches showing it is a very clean looking cut. My chest never has hurt.  I do have some odd sensations and a small amount of manageable pain in the arm pit area and down the back of my arm. Sometimes I get this "vibrating/tingling" sensation on my chest area that is not painful, just weird.  The RN says that it is the nerves waking up and beginning to heal. Anyone else get that?  Wonder how long it lasts?

• FLwarrior
    edited August 2011
    Options

susanwmcg ~ I hope all is going well with you and that you are resting comfortably after your procedure.  Sending you warm wishes and (hugs). 

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited August 2011
    Options

Thoughts and prayers for all who have procedures this week. susanwmcg  Aug. 22, profbee Aug 23, Mags20487 Aug 23, and IsThisForReal  Aug 24
    And for all of you who are in recovery, keep strong and focus on the little goals we make for ourselves each day.
    I went to work today after being off for a month.  It was such a beautiful day outside; I would  rather have skipped work.  But it kept my mind  busy.  Am simplifying my office for my return to work sometime after lumpectomy.  I also want my desk clear because I am sure others will use my desk while I'm out.  Grrrrr......... but not a real problem.

• blondelawyer
    edited August 2011
    Options

Flwarrior: I have those weird sensations too. MO says they are normal and I might have them for awhile. They are certainly strange!

Glad to hear that you are doing well.

• tigerw0man
    edited August 2011
    Options

Flwarrior, I have them as welll, but so far only in one breast. I had wondered what it was, feels kind of like a fluttering.

• olgah34
    olgah34 Member Posts: 300
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hello, everyone...

They finally scheduled my BMX with reconstruction on September 1.... I already had 2 lumpectomies July 26 and August 11. Problem is, they found multi- local HER2 cells..I cannot wait. I am thinking now, is it too late?I was diagnozed on July 12. How fast do the cells move and grow? Anybody has any experience with timing?

• abatellik
    abatellik Member Posts: 22
    edited August 2011
    Options

Nanadeb,  I read your blog and wanted to tell you I am praying for you... I can only pray you have a chemo experience like I did- while not pleasant, it was manageable, especially with help from others on the 3rd and 4th days after chemo.... having a plan to follow helped me and hopefully it will help you too... they diagnosed mine as IBC and have thrown the book at it from the start. I'm just trying to remember that no matter how grim the docs are, there are miracles every day! My sister almost died at the age of 7, my niece at 1 year... and they are both doing just fine and so will we be! We have a great and mighty God on our side who loves us more than anything...

I am STILL waiting on the path results of my surgery from the 15th.... GRRR this is frustrating. But I know it will be soon. Patience...

• Eema
    Eema Member Posts: 403
    edited August 2011
    Options

Hi Ladies,

Hope everyone is doing well! Yesterday I saw my PS who said I have "turned a corner" with the post-surgical infection I got. I think it still looks red and still kills, but apparently it isn't infected. The PS's NP suggested I 'stop looking at them every five minutes' which probably is not a bad idea. In the afternoon I had an appointment with the pain clinic. They changed the regiment of my pain medication, ie., take 2 every 4-6 hours instead of one, then wait an hour and if it is bad take another, because my body never really has a chance to not be in pain then. They also added an ibuprofen gel, Voltaren, for my sore neck, he called the neck muscles "exquisitely tight"! Sounds so royal! Today I will pick up the other gel he prescribed, lidocaine, to numb the sore areas. When I told the PS that it felt like the fill ports were rubbing on my rib cage, he told me that is because it is secured to your rib cage and has to be there! All these little pains are apparently very normal with reconstruction. I had no idea! I also have to go for stellate ganglion blocks in my neck to control the pain. BC is literally a pain in my neck!