Donate to Breastcancer.org when you checkout at Walgreens in October. Learn more about our Walgreens collaboration.
Join us for a Special Meetup: The Benefits of Exercise for Anyone With Breast Cancer, Oct. 16, 2024 at 2pm ET. Learn more and register here.

All about Xeloda

Comments

• Frapp
    Frapp Member Posts: 343
    edited September 2012

Does anyone else retain water on x? I have the start of cankles.

• ctberrier
    ctberrier Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2012

My IV leaguers support group say try Blue Goo.  Supposedly you can get it at Walmart.  I have looked other places, but Walmart is the only place I have found it.  Good luck.

• ctberrier
    ctberrier Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2012

My IV leaguers support group say try Blue Goo.  Supposedly you can get it at Walmart.  I have looked other places, but Walmart is the only place I have found it.  Good luck.

• LilSchatzie
    LilSchatzie Member Posts: 34
    edited September 2012

Has anyone had an oophectomy while on Xeloda? I had surgery on Saturday and I'm feeling ok. I'm suppose to start a new cycle of Xeloda tomorrow, but my MO wants me to wait a couple more days. Anyone have any advice on taking a break from Xeloda to heal from surgery.

• Frapp
    edited September 2012

Good news/bad news from yesterday's onc apt. All blood work is normal, including tumor markers....yay. Tumor in breast is bigger, so having a biopsy next week to see what its make up is. I also mentioned my toungue seems numb....big mistake....have to to back tonight for a brain scan. I should just bring my sleepingbag as I'm going to be there tonight, Monday and prob wednesday.

• LuvRVing
    LuvRVing Member Posts: 2,409
    edited September 2012

A question for all you Xeloda ladies...

I was contacted by a consulting firm and they are doing research for a pharmaceutical company about oral meds and metastatic breast cancer patient compliance.  I have agreed to do the interview - should happen in a few days.  They located me through my blog, so that's sort of interesting in and of itself.

Anyways, I'm looking for your input.

How hard is it for you to remember to take your Xeloda?

Do you ever miss a dose?

How compliant are you - percentage-wise?  100%, 90%, etc.

Anything that would help you to remember?

Please PM me your responses - I don't want to ask you to put too much out here in the "public domain." 

I've been taking oral meds for diabetes for more than 10 years, so for me it's an easy thing but I have to think it's a bit more difficult if you're not used to taking pills every day.

Thanks for your ideas!

• Chickadee
    Chickadee Member Posts: 469
    edited September 2012

Hoping good things for you Frapp and no surprises.

• Chickadee
    edited September 2012

I have forgotten at night a couple times and once or twice on my last on day I haven't taken the last one.  So I think I'm about 97% compliant.

• gail5
    gail5 Member Posts: 125
    edited September 2012

Frapp - hope the increase in breast tumour is just dead cancer cells or something similar. Would have thought the numb tongue might be due to chemo, would never have thought it might require a brain scan. Hope that goes OK too and is nothing serious.

LuRVing - have sent a PM as requested.

Had good news from onc today. CT scans are clear and she thinks there is a slight improvement in skin mets. May get mammo and u/s for affected breast as CT scan only shows the thickened skin and she thinks this would be more accurate, but she was a bit vague about whether she was going to order one just now.

• LuvRVing
    LuvRVing Member Posts: 2,409
    edited September 2012

Thanks, Chickadee!

Your answers have all been just what I expected - we are all very compliant with our oral meds.  They can't tell me what company wanted the research.  I suspect the answers will be mostly the same, regardless of who they ask. 

• Swannay
    Swannay Member Posts: 50
    edited September 2012

Frappe, hope you get good news. I've two MRI's of The brain in last week. I have pain in my face. I thought it was sinus infection but now they think it is a nerve. May need spinal tap. Question- I started xeloda the end of may. Tumor markers were 120 when started. They went down to 57 but are now up to 67. Should I be worried xeloda is failing.

Thanks

• RobinNY
    RobinNY Member Posts: 136
    edited September 2012

Hi everyone

Back from vacation and ready to start X tomorrow.

Hope things went well for you Frapp with your MRI.

hugs to all my new X sisters.....

robin

• RobinNY
    edited October 2012

Hi everyone

robin

• RobinNY
    edited October 2012

Hi everyone

robin

• gail5
    edited October 2012

Robin - good luck and hope you have minimal SEs

• RobinNY
    edited October 2012

Thank you Gail! I see you've been on Xeloda since the end of June...how are your hands and feet doing? Sounds like you had a good scan with this drug!

Hugs!

Robin

• Frapp
    edited October 2012

Hope xeloda is as good To you as it has been for me. I've been in since the end of May and I have just started to have a little peeling on my feet because I've started to get a bit lax on putting the lotion on every night Start putting lotion on your hands and feet right away to get a jump on it. This is a good thread to read and come here for support anytime.

Pat

• RobinNY
    edited October 2012

Thank you Pat.  I did start yesterday with hopes of at least delaying it.  You are still in my thoughts are you get thru all your testing.

X Ladies, I have also posted this as a general topic, but wanted to post it here too. WHat is your co-pay for X?  I am currently on my employers insurance and I paid a small copay for my first delivery.  I am Medicare eligible in Novemer and my new 2013 book arrived and (if I am reading this right) it is showing a 20% copay?  That would be over $650 a month!  Help, I am starting to panic!  

Hugs!
    Robin 

• gail5
    edited October 2012

Robin - my feet aren't bad. Hands are a little bit sore and red and wrinked with puffy fingers. Look like I'm about 90, but can still handle it. Don't want to phone chemo ward yet as they'd make me take a few days off chemo. Can't help on co-pay as not applicable in the UK.

• Jac53
    Jac53 Member Posts: 58
    edited October 2012

Xeloda: an experience in fire-walking!

• Dulcie
    Dulcie Member Posts: 58
    edited October 2012

LOL xx

• Chickadee
    edited October 2012

UH Oh.  Went for my regular meet with the Onc. Had blood test yesterday.  The liver enzymes are on the move and not a good direction.  I'm bummed.  She agreed to let me wait until after the cruise for scans just as we had planned, but DAMN!

I'm still not getting away on vacation without a black cloud hanging over my head.  Maybe it's nothing, maybe it's temporary but I don't have a good feeling.  X may not give me the long run I hoped for before having to go to something more harsh.

CANCER SUCKS!

• Frapp
    edited October 2012

oh, Chick, I'm so sorry.  Lets hope it's just the drugs causing it and it's nothing serious.  Were they considerably higher?

My scans and labs last week showed X is still working for me EXCEPT for a new large tumor  and its babyin my breast.  They did a biopsy on it and it, and it's little brother and sister, are different from the rest.  I don't have hormone or her2 receptors yet, but it's not lobular or ductal.   Soooo, I'm cheduled for a bmx 11/3 to get rid of them since they are the only tumors not responding to xeloda.

• Chickadee
    edited October 2012

They were different enough from Aug. numbers for her to mention looking into clinical trials.  Of course she said I haven't tried lots of things yet, and she was ok waiting on the scans.........but this was so tolerable I wanted to stay with it.  Maybe I'll be lucky and the scans will show stable?  I just felt there was a brief look on her face that made me uncomfortable when we talked about holding off on the scans for another couple weeks.  They'll be on Nov 2.

I'll try not to get ahead of myself.  I feel so damn normal.  I want to keep feeling that way. Waaahhh!  Ok, stop the whining.

That's weird to get new tumors like you have.  Like weeds sprouting in a nicely manicured lawn that we work so hard at maintaining......out, out damn weeds!

• Frapp
    edited October 2012

Have you thought of having your scans done the end of next week?  That way they will be done and your doc can have your new plan waiting when you get back.

• Chickadee
    edited October 2012

I purposely put them off.  I planned to go on the cruise down the lovely river of deNIAL.  The blood test threw a monkey in the works.  So I will go tubing halfway down the river of deNIAL.

If it is progression, another 2 weeks of feeling normal won't make that much difference. (she says unconvincedly)

• Frapp
    edited October 2012

You can have scans of Friday the 19th, leave on your cruise (down the river denial) and get results when you get back.  Definately no need to ruin that wonderful cruise.  You'll be so busy, you'll forget that you went for the scans.

• Chickadee
    edited October 2012

Nah, I'm going to wait it out.  Besides my husband has a followup overnight sleep study on the 18th.  I knew all that gasping/snoring at night wasn't a good thing......he'll be getting a new companion CPAP machine.  The follow up is to determine the settings.

We're such a healthy family.....can't you tell.

• Frapp
    edited October 2012

I have a cpap.  Hope he has more luck than I with the mask.  I actually feel better in the morning when I use it but I'm a front/side sleeper and the pillow tends to knock the mask wonky so the air excapes and blows around my face.  I just have so many other doc apts that this one seems kind of needless at this point. 

Just one exitement to the next.......

• RobinNY
    edited October 2012

Oh Chick...I am so sorry! I hope you have enough time to process everything before your trip. I completely understand, I got my CT results 3 days before I left. But, truth be told....I did ok on the cruise. I only had one night with a meltdown in the bathroom...deserved and completely about me....and when I got out of the shower I felt much better. Go.....enjoy.....relax....cruise. Can't wait to hear all about it whe you get back!

Hugs!

Robin