Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

nipple tattoo???

Options

Comments

• Rene23
    Rene23 Member Posts: 290
    edited September 2011
    Options

Does anyone have suggestions for a nipple tattoo artist in the Chicagoland area?  I really prefer to go to a tattoo artist who is recommended, but I can't seem to find any that look promising.

• wasin
    wasin Member Posts: 36
    edited September 2011
    Options

chiluvr - Yes, that's correct.  I heard that if you go to a tattoo place they will not take your insurance and the insurance company will not cover that procedure because they will categorize as cosmetic procedure, unless it's part of the reconstructive procedures.

Hope this helps.

• wasin
    wasin Member Posts: 36
    edited September 2011
    Options

I heard that having tattoos done with a real tattoo artist is quite painful because the needle goes in deeper in the skin vs. having it done in plastic surgeon's office.  Legally they're not supposed to use the real tattoo machines for more permanent effect.  I guess that's why tatoos done in plastic surgeon's office need a touch-ups..

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780
    edited September 2011
    Options

vinnie - I have so many question ... I'll email later ... but first off THANK YOU for what you do ... along with earleen and judy (facecrafter) what a blessing you all are!

Come to St. Louis!  Or I'm gonna have to take a trip to Atlanta when you go down there or I'm coming to Baltimore!

I'm having trouble figuring out the difference between cosmetic tatooing and what you do.  Do you use different ink than a cosmetic tattoo artist?

Also ... what happens when we have to get the implants switched out (I'm young and I still want to look good 2 or 3 implant swaps down the road!) and they have to  cut into the tatoo?  I'm kiind of afraid of getting one and 30 years down the road it gets messed up?  Anyone know?

Again thanks ... and hopefully sometime soon you'll do my tats!  :) 

• vinniemyers
    vinniemyers Member Posts: 58
    edited September 2011
    Options

Dawne-Hope...They shouldn't have to cut into the tattoo to do the swap. They can make a new smaller incision somewhere else not at the same site as the previous one. Normally the tattoos will remain centered if you go with the same size implant on the swap. Even if they did cut through the tattoo it can still be touched up when the incisions heal....V

• Estel
    Estel Member Posts: 2,780
    edited October 2011
    Options

vinnie - Thank you for your response.  That's one of my fears of getting a tat ... that it will get messed up later on.  I feel better.

As far as places to come ... come to the Midwest!  :)

Do you ever come to the following places:

Chicago, IL

Indianapolis, IN

Kansas City, Mo

Louisville, KY

St. Louis, MO

Also ... what is the difference in the ink you use and the ink used in cosmetic tattoos?  Thank you so much for your response. 

• vinniemyers
    vinniemyers Member Posts: 58
    edited October 2011
    Options

Dawne... There are a lot of different pigments used today in tattooing... both in traditional tattooing and cosmetic tattooing. The basic structure of these pigments are the same. The biggest difference in the end result of the tattoo is the way the procedure is done. 

The best thing I can suggest to you is go to a reputable tattooer/cosmetic tattooer. Check out their portfolio!!!! Look for yourself what they are doing and see if it looks satisfactory to YOU. Also check with others that have had the procedure done and get their advise. 

Many of the tattooers on this forum that do this service are very good at what they do... ie. Renee at www.reneemaschinot.com

Judy at www.facecrafter.com

Earleen at www.ashevillepermanentmakeupclinic.com

and others that will be happy to give you any info you need to help satisfy your quest for knowledge about this subject. It is hard to find accurate info on this sometimes... but please do your homework... don't jump in head (or breasts) first... lol...  check with these ladies and ask me anything you want to know... all of us will be happy to help...... 

As far as getting myself to the Midwest... I want to ... just do not know when ... yet.... thx... V 

• 2Xsenough
    2Xsenough Member Posts: 48
    edited October 2011
    Options

Hi there--I'm almost two years out and still sporting Barbie boobs. I really need to finish this reconstruction and do the tattoo thing, I'm looking for someone in the Reno/Carson City NV area. Any suggestions? Anyone?

Thanks, Bobbi

• Texas357
    Texas357 Member Posts: 332
    edited October 2011
    Options

Vinnie, I'm in Houston and would be open to having you touch up the uneven color of my tattoos.

• renee-tattoos
    renee-tattoos Member Posts: 14
    edited October 2011
    Options

Hi Bobbi.....check out www.PinkInkProject.com 

I have listed someone from Las Vegas......make sure you see befores and afters.....

• mamachick
    mamachick Member Posts: 154
    edited October 2011
    Options

Have not been able to read all the posts, but I thought this might be a good place to ask a question about tattooing.  My PS said that if I tattoo it would look like I applied makeup to my areola and nipples.  He is not recommending it, but says it is my choice.  I had skin grafting for the areola and nips.  He said there is enough color change because of the skin difference.  I am just curious if any of you have had it done already and what you think of your color.  Does it look fairly natural?  Does it add to the look of the breast?

• renee-tattoos
    edited October 2011
    Options

Hi mamachick

Do you think there is enough color?? The tattoos are very natural....it really depends on who is doing the tattooing....experience.

I am the on staff 3d nipple tattoo artist at MUSC.....Charleston

You can contact me if you have any questions......who is your PS?  Private message me if you don't want to post the name.... 

• christine47
    christine47 Member Posts: 846
    edited October 2011
    Options

Renee,

My PS tells me he will do my tattooing personally.  He is young and has done a great job with everything else.  I was suprised when I asked who would do them and he said he does them personally.  I see him at a large teaching hospital and thought someone else would do them.  There is no way I could ask he to see pictures of his work, without offending him (considering my new boobs are his masterpiece).  Is this typical for a PS to do his own tatoos?  I just got nips last week, so I don't need the 3D work.  I am about 3 hours from Asheville, NC and initally thought I might travel there.  Your thoughts?

• mamachick
    edited October 2011
    Options

Renee- I don't think there is enough color.  I also don't need 3D due to nip recon. He says he will do it, but his opinion is I don't need it.  I will private message you and see if you have heard of him or his work. Thanks!

• renee-tattoos
    edited October 2011
    Options

Hi Christine47.......I never understood why a PS would tattoo.....I would go to someone who tattoos for a living to get the best possible result....you are close to Earleen Bennett......you will get a great result......

3D or shading techniques can also be used if you have had nipple recon.....to give more illusion of protrusion...say if a one nipple heals smaller than the other...or they both get small.....

mamachick........if YOU don't think there is enough color.....well you need to be happy : )

• mamachick
    edited October 2011
    Options

Thanks Renee- I am starting to realize that it is me that needs to be happy not my PS.  I am really leaning towards color, but will wait until I see pictures.  I have a friend who has had one done and she is happy except for the person who did it did not match the color to her natural breast.  I won't have to worry about that though.

• christine47
    edited October 2011
    Options

Thanks Renee, I kind of thought the same thing.  I would think he could be more productive in that hour doing a nose job or something, lol.  Earleen is the name I have written down and could easily drive up and back in a day (with a stop for a yummy lunch in Asheville).  I need to stay with my PS until I get a second round of fat grafting (lol), then I am going to call Earleen.  Thanks for giving your time to this site.

• renee-tattoos
    edited October 2011
    Options

christine......you will love Earleen........

mamachick.....unilateral is harder.....you have to match....sorry she is not happy, but you can be whatever color you want..... Kiss

• mamachick
    edited October 2011
    Options
    I realize now too that I am close to Earleen.  I will see what my PS says or shows me and I might look into Earleen more.  Maybe Christine and I could so lunch in Asheville at the same time! Laughing
  • kmur
    kmur Member Posts: 849
    edited October 2011
    Options

Ok Christine and mamachick....imagine...finding you all here....Lol....I'm hoping you two go first this time and tell me what to do.....

I am looking for a tattoo location in the Kentucky area.....does anyone know of one???  I would not require 3D--just color??

Or maybe I will have to drive to Asheville...have yummy lunch with Christine and mamachick and get my tattoo done???  Lol

Thanks to all of you in advance for any advice

Kim

• christine47
    edited October 2011
    Options

I see my PS again on Monday.  He thinks he is doing my tattoos (eventually), until I am completely done with my reconstruction I will hold off on the tattoos (I don't want to upset him, until I get everything I want).  I would meet you all in Asheville in a heartbeat. 

kmur and mamachick, how far are you both from Asheville??

• kmur
    kmur Member Posts: 849
    edited October 2011
    Options

Hi Christine...Asheville is about 360 miles for me. About 6 hour drive. I bet shorter for momachick. My PS did say we would need to wait about 3 months so that everything heals well. I am not in a big hurry .... She does do this in her office,but this is a step I want to be very sure of.  She also said the initial tattoo is darker because it will fade....

• lago
    lago Member Posts: 11,653
    edited October 2011
    Options

Christine My PS does the tattoo himself too. He is in private practice but has privledges at a teaching hospital. The implants (at bmx) and exchange were done at the hosptial. Nips at a surgical center. Tattoos will be done in his office. I just got my nips Thursday along with more fat grafting and revision to lefty. I didn't get a graft for nipple or areola. Areola will just be a tattoo.

My PS had been doing this for over 20 years. He has some pictures on his site but he showed me better examples when I first met him. I'm sure not all women give  him the OK to post photos on his website.

I figure if I don't like that tattoo I can always get it touched up. Problem is I don't think there's any tattoo artists in the Chicago area that does this kind of work.

• mamachick
    edited October 2011
    Options

Kim and Christine- I would love to meet you all in Asheville. I would say I am the closest. I am about an hour and 15min. south of Asheville. Not far at all.  I am holding off on my PS doing the tattoos until I research it more.  I see him on the 18th and he is going to show me pictures.  I think I will hold my decision until I see what kind of work he or his office does.  I like the looks of Earleen's tattoo's though.  It would depend on cost for me, but surely it wouldn't be that much.

• christine47
    edited October 2011
    Options

Lago, what kind of nips did you get??  How are you doing?  You are a week behind me on the nips.  I go on monday and get the caps off and my few stitches at the fat graft sites out.

mamachick and kmur--I think someday we and some of the other girls from the 40's site should meet, even if just to have a drink, lunch and a good laugh.  Amazing how I feel like I know some of you.

Lago makes a good point, that we can always have touch ups to tattoo work.

• lago
    edited October 2011
    Options

I got C-V flap nipples.

I can't wait to get all this bandage wrapping off. I swear they used all the bandages they had on me. I look like a G cup right now. Thank goodness for the men's XXXL T shirts I sleep in. Only one of my  shirts will button up… and it's the shirt that I was just about to give away because it's big and Komen pink.

• christine47
    edited October 2011
    Options

How long do you stay bandaged up?  I was able to shower 3 days following my surgery. Finding clothing to hide my binders(tummy and breast) and nip caps this week has been a challenge.  I have several big meetings this coming week, sure hope I can get back to my regular clothing.

• lago
    edited October 2011
    Options

I have my post-op appointment on Monday so I assume it all comes off then. I expect I can shower after that. I think I can shower now as long as I don't get the bandages wet…not sure how they expect me to do that.

No binder on my breasts. Wearing thigh long spanx type binder bites since it's 80 degrees right now.

This time my PS took the fat from my thighs and a little from lower butt as I  recommended. Last time he took it from my love handles and tried to find some on my tummy. He didn't find enough. NO shock there. I have a feeling this time he found plenty. I told him if he didn't find enough to go ahead and look at other places. I don't want to do this again. Granted with my thighs I'm sure there was ample. Tongue out

I also am retaining fluid big time. I have cankles, big middle, even my arms & feet are bigger. I put on about 6-8 lbs since surgery! Just call me Violet and have me squeezed.

• shortlady
    shortlady Member Posts: 36
    edited October 2011
    Options

My PS just gave me the okay to get the 3D nipple tattoing done. Because of my radiated skin he  did not want to make nipples.  I too would like to have it done by Vinnie.   I am glad to hear Vinnie is thinking about comming to California.  It seems like there are quiet a few that would like to have Vinnie come to California. Northern or Southern California would be fine.  I wonder if one of the cancer centers would host Vinnie.  

Insurance ?  I talked to a local person that has done nipple tattoing and she said that she has had clients that had insurance that covered the tattoing.  She askes for the money up front and then you turn in the paper work to reimburesed.  I have to call my inusrance and see what they say.  I will also ask if they will cover any work that needs to be done if it needs to be done after the tattoing.  

• mrsnjband
    mrsnjband Member Posts: 64
    edited October 2011
    Options

My flaps haven't been radiated but with all the problems I've had with my rads side I really don't want to mess with the flaps any more than necessary.  I am seriously consider the 3D tats.  I want Vinnie to do them. NJ