Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

The 'Journey' has begun!!!! aka Chrissyb's USA Adventure!!!

Options

Comments

• dara_diverse
    dara_diverse Member Posts: 5,003
    Options

Chrissy, my flowers all got zapped by frost on Friday night. I will be looking forward to some more Spring brought to me from Australia!

Love ya, Chrissy B ♥

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    Options

Well girls I'm finally got myself organised enough to sit down and tell you about my home town and a little of it's history.

Burra is a small town situated about a two hour drive north west of the capital city of South Australia, Adelaide.  It nestles in the crucible of the hills that surround it.  At the moment, the total population is 1500 persons.  This is a view of Burra from the main road heading down into the town.

Burra was settled after a shepherd found some brightly colored outcrops of copper in the Burra creek in 1845.  After a survey, the mine area measuring 8 x 4 miles was purchased in August of that year at a cost of 20,000 pounds and became known as the Burra Burra Monster Mine.  It rapidly developed into one of the great copper mines of the world and the town that grew because of it, was by 1851 Australia's largest inland town.  The influence of Burra on the economy of South Australia and on mining in Australia gives the town considerable historic importance and is on the Register of The National Estate and many of it's buildings on the List of State Heritage Items and in 1993 the town was declared a State Heritage area.

Most of the 1,000 men and boys employed by the mine were Cornish and so a lot of the housing cottages are very similar to the early Cornish cottages found in Cornwall, England.  Today, the row houses of these miners are still standing and are used as accommodation for holiday makers and weekend visitors.

The mine was worked in the traditional way of digging shafts and the pumps that were used were imported from Cornwall.  They were used to pump water from the mine and this was used to power the waterwheels which in turn powered the crushers and other machinery.

By the mine was closed in 1877 it was being worked as an open cut mine.  When copper prices were at their height, the mine was reopened in 1971 and closed again in 1981.  It is now tourist attraction.

One of the old pump houses has restored and rebuilt and is now a museum.  On the top floor, where the pump shafts were situated, you can step out and overlook the whole of the open cut area that is now filled with water that is fed from and underground spring.

The pump house.

The view of the open cut filled with water.  The lake that it forms is used by diving schools for deep water training because it is so cold.

This is the old powder house where the explosives were stored. This building is still totally intact and is very interesting to view because of the way it was built.  It is a long way from the rest of the mine for safety reasons.

The day I went to take photos, this little fellow jumped in front of my car.

The photo is not the best as I didn't even have time to focus properly!  When he stopped on the other side of the road, I took this one.  He looks like a young one who has been recently tipped from the mothers pouch.

Take care all, until next time.

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• Scuba_duchess
    Scuba_duchess Member Posts: 435
    Options

Thanks Chrissy, really enjoyed seeing and learning so much, plus I am a sucker for any place one can go diving! Cheers, hope you are enjoying the spring! Unlike DorK and I who have to get out the winter boots! Luv, Lisa

• eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704
    Options

ohhhhhhhhh, I want one!

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    Options

Chrissy I love history thanks for sharing.  I also live in a very historic town here in Texas.

• debbie6122
    debbie6122 Member Posts: 2,935
    Options

I love the beautiful greenery and rolling hills, so georgous! Thanks for sharing the history of your town I would love to go there some day!

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    Options

Thanks Chrissy for wonderful narrative and more pics!  I think of you when I see squirrels, which is often these days.  They're busy getting ready for winter here.  Happy Spring!  {{hugs}}

• suzieq60
    suzieq60 Member Posts: 1,422
    Options

Nice wine in that region girls :)

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    Options

Hey Chrissy lucky he didn't "get" your car, or do you have "Roo" bars.  Beautiful pics of your hometown.

• chrissyb
    Options

The other day my DH came home and told me that there was a Craft Fair happening in my town on the following weekend.  I asked where it was to be held and he, like most men, didn't know.  I asked him to check the town notice board on his way to the shop and ring me with the information.  He did just that......it was being held in the historic Redruth Gaol.   Taking the opportunity, as I do, to get some good pics, I grabbed my bag, a carryall and the camera and set off to see what was on offer both photograpically and craft wise.

When I got there, I found that there was also a display of the town's fire engines including the very first one ever purchased...they were amazing!

The Redruth Gaol was built in 1856 and was the first erected outside Adelaide.  It originally provided accommodation for the gaolkeeper, turnkey and thirty prisoners both male and female.  It was closed in 1894 and the prisoners were transfered to Gladstone Gaol. 

The Gaol was renovated and reopened as a Girls Refomatory in 1897 and was finally closed as a place of incarceration in 1922 and is now under the care of the National Trust.

This shows the cells and part of the exercise area for the men.  The women were housed in exactly the same type of area but the other side of the prison so there was no interaction.

This is what was once the bathroom........it is called a long drop.  The birds now use it as a warm dry roost.

Can you imagine being surrounded by walls that are fifteen foot high and topped with broken glass as a deterent not to try to scale them......must have been truly terrible!

When I was leaving the Fair, and yes I did purchase a couple of things......I couldn't resist.......I saw these pink and grey Galahs in the top of one of the trees.  They had young ones and it was lovely to see.

Take care all!  Till next time.

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• Racy
    Racy Member Posts: 974
    Options

Thanks for the interesting history lesson, story and pics, Chrissy.

• samsue
    samsue Member Posts: 599
    Options

Chrissy it sounds like you had a fun day taking pictures and shopping! Thanks for sharing.

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    Options
    Cool
  • FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    Options
    Chrissy----im waiting to hear about the movie or a book.....I know it takes time but im sooo excited for you and really hope it does happen!!!!!I know there are wonderful writers right here who would love to help with the book.what an honor that would be to you and all the sistas that are involved.I wish you lots and lots of luck.huggs K
  • wahine
    wahine Member Posts: 7,590
    Options

Chrissy, I am enjoying the pics and narrative of YOUR home town, just like the others that have posted here. Sounds so interesting and your pics are beautiful, as always. You have quite a gift of both picture taking and journaling! As you know, we just returned from a wonderful trip to Ireland, where I got to meet Bernie at Kilkenny Castle,near her hometown, and I met Jaybird at JFK airport yesterday! BUT I took about 700 pics and now have the job of figuring what I took. Because of that, I am even more impressed with how organized you were on your USA trip. And oh yeah, I sure enjoyed seeing the wild Galahs when we were in OZ....I miss seeing them...thanks for posting the pic you took of them...so gorgeous!!!! You are amazing!!!

• chrissyb
    Options

It's been awhile since I posted so I guess I should bring you up to speed.  I've been doing a whole lot of travelling back and forth to the city in the past few weeks and have gotten some great shots of the scenery and sunsets as I drive........no, I stop the car first.....lol........but the different times of day and weather conditions really change how things look.  Just outside my town there is a smallish shallow lake and each time I drive past it, the breeze is rippling the surface.........it looks great but one day as I drove past, there was absolutely  no air movement and the surface was like a mirror.....and wouldn't you know, the only time I didn't have the camera with me I could have gotten an amazing shot!!!!  So...the point to all this is, coming back from the city last Monday evening, you guessed it, no breeze and the surface of the lake was so still......it was beautiful.  Summer is here and the land has turned its usual gold and brown as the crops are ready for harvest................these are what I got.

On the way home after celebrating GS's birthdays I couldn't resist stopping to get these shots....the colors were so beautiful.

And a bit later, they turned to this.....................

I will admit, we do get some pretty spectacular sunsets.

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    Options

Beautiful sunset Chrissy.

• sagina
    sagina Member Posts: 849
    Options

You're not kidding that is gorgeous.  I need to save my pennies and get over there one day!!! Miss you and your wisdom!

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,520
    Options

Gorgeous!!!!

• debbie6122
    Options

Just absolutely georgous sunset and the purple sky is beautiful!

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    Options
    Thats the closest im gonna get.Thanks Chrissy for sharing. Fab. pics.huggggggs K
  • badger
    Options

hey Chrissy, thanks for the pics, they put me in mind of a poem I know about Oz.  {{hugs}}

I love a sunburnt country,
    A land of sweeping plains,
    Of ragged mountain ranges,
    Of droughts and flooding rains.
    I love her far horizons,
    I love her jewel-sea,
    Her beauty and her terror
    The wide brown land for me!

(excerpted from "My Country" by Dorothea Mackeller)

• Elisimo
    Elisimo Member Posts: 1,262
    Options

Just checking in to let you know I came through surgery well and will be able to takd a shower tomorrow.  Everything looks so much better and I will fell vetter when the  bandages come off.  Love all the pictures and the wonderful story line you are giving us Chrissy. It was so nice to actually get to talk to you the other day.  I really do miss you and will be comeing to see you since he kids will be living in Japan for the next nezt 3 yrs.  will send more pictures later.  Love to all.

• debbie6122
    Options

Cute poem badger!

• cmbear
    cmbear Member Posts: 674
    Options

Chrissy--Absolutely love the pictures and the stories behind them. What a joy! Thanks for sharing your world!!!

• badger
    Options

Happy Birthday Chrissy!   {{hugs}}

• sagina
    Options
  • sagina
    Options

sorry so large of a picture, Chrissy, still can't figure out like you have! But Merry Christmas from the San Antonio river walk, that's the boat cruise we got on with Jo and Sherry.  Looks a bit different!  MIss you and happy birthday?

• Elisimo
    Elisimo Member Posts: 1,262
    Options

Happy Birthday Chrissy! Hope you have a fantastic day. Love you.

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,520
    Options

Chrissy....just sent you b'day greetings on fb, but wanted to send them to you here as well.....Hope your b'day has been as special as you are!!!!