Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

The 'Journey' has begun!!!! aka Chrissyb's USA Adventure!!!

Options

Comments

• dara_diverse
    dara_diverse Member Posts: 5,003
    Options

Chrissy, I have not visited this page for some time. Loved reading about the history of your town and really enjoy the photos and narrative. My favorite photos are of the beautiful sunset. I will be changing my desktop photo to one of those. And love the kangaroo pics (that is what they are, yes?).  Keep the photos coming. I really enjoy seeing OZ through your eyes. Love you.

• debbie6122
    debbie6122 Member Posts: 2,935
    Options

Chrissy- Hope you had a wonderful birthday- and many, many more years to come xox

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    Options

Hi all!  Well the birthday celebrations culminated on Saturday last with a gathering in the park of children, grandchildren, extended family and friends.  Wow!!!   What a day!!!  There was much laughter and good food shared and I finally had all four grandsons in the same place at the same time.....something that hasn't happened for quite a while.  Meet my boys!

From the left.......Cailan 13, Harrison 14, Jackson 16 and Caemin 15 and all taller than me!!! and typical teenagers but I love them to bits. The two in the centre are brothers as are the other two.

When we left home for the drive to the city, I was praying that we would have some fine weather as it was very overcast at home and on the way down we passed through many areas of fine drizzling rain......not enought to have the wipers going all the time but enough that it was a pain in the neck......lol.  Thankfully, by the time we arrived at the Park the sun was shinning and it had turned into a glorious day.  Everyone was there and it was a lovely sight!!!!  I got the biggest hugs from the boys even though it's not cool to hug your gran and I even got kisses!  I had such a good time and of course took mega amounts of pics, most of them of my girls playing with the kids on the playground equipement and I even got one of DH joining in with the game!

Late afternoon came very quickly and everyone began to leave.  DH and I went back to DD1's house for a coffee and to get my SIL ovenight case as she was coming home with us.  When we left there, DH wanted to call in on a friend so we ended up taking an alternate route home through some of the prettiest little country towns.  As we were driving through one place called Angaston, these trees just screemed at me to take their photo.......

They are called Jackarandas and there color is remakable.  When they start to drop their flowers, the grouns is carpeted with purple and it is so beautiful!

It was starting to get late and we were all hungry so we stopped in a place called Nuriootpa and had dinner before continuing on our journey.  It was just on dusk and the clouds were beginning to gather once again but they were still broken enough that we could see the full moon rise. 

In conversation my SIL mentioned that Saturday night was the night on the lunar eclipse and it would be a blood moon...........I had never seen a blood moon so we decided to try and watch for it later that night.  Unfortunately, by the time the eclipse happened the clouds were prettey thick but we managed to get a glimpse of it but it was not clear enough to get a pic but I did click one that was just before the full eclipse.  It is not crisp but hey, I only had a 35 mm digital camera so it's not too bad.

It was well after midnight before we were satisfied that the clouds were not going to part and allow us a further glimpse so off to bed we went.

On Sunday I took my SIL home to Wallaroo where she lives.  We spent the afternoon shopping and chatting and then at dinner time we decided to get Fish and Chips and go to the beach to eat.  I just love sitting there watching the sea and feeding the gulls.

After saying my goodbyes I headed back to Burra.  As I was driving, the sun was going down and I took these pics as the landscape looked perfect in the late afternoon light.

I was almost home when I saw the moon rise again but this time there were no clouds to hide it from me.

I probably won't have time to post before Christmas so I wish each and every one of you the very best of the season no matter how you celebrate.  Be safe and be well.

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• sas-schatzi
    sas-schatzi Member Posts: 15,879
    Options

CHrissy ----sweet------have a cherished Christmas---Namaste sheila

• tedwilliams
    tedwilliams Member Posts: 97
    Options

Beautiful, Chrissy.  

• lwd
    lwd Member Posts: 234
    Options

Chrissy,

Thanks for the photos - beautiful, all of them!  Love to see your kids and grandkids, and hubby!  And, the purple tree blossoms!!!  Wow!  Hope you have a wonderful Christmas.  I saw a glimpse of the eclipse through the trees here.  Nice to think of all of us under the same beautiful moon.

Love,

Lane 

• ruthbru
    ruthbru Member Posts: 47,018
    Options

Lovely!

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    Options

I just hate it when my computer eats my messages...

at any rate  thank you for sharing your adventures with us,

it is so much fun...we also have many jacarandas here in Southern

California and they bloom in May and June usually and drop the

beautiful but hard to clean up blossoms...my next door neighbor has one..

wonderful for you to keep us in the loop

hugs, So Cal

• 3jaysmom
    3jaysmom Member Posts: 2,604
    Options
    chrissy.. the Jacachristmas!!!!randas' were gorgeous.. what are you doing that you won't be back till christmas!!!!now, THATS being too busy... love ya, gal.. and Merry Christmas, in case you don't get back!..........3jays
  • eph3_12
    eph3_12 Member Posts: 2,704
    Options

Love, Love, Love the most recent post!  Your grandsons are a kick!!! And love the teeter-totter shot.  I want a Jacaranda tree-how pretty! 

• dara_diverse
    Options

Aww, Chrissy, love your recent photos! It seems the sun is shining wherever you go. So nice that you got all of your handsome grandbabies together. Sounds like you had a beautiful celebration of YOU! Looking forward to more photos! Love you!!

• karen1956
    karen1956 Member Posts: 4,519
    Options

Hi Chrissy....love the photos...what a handsome group of young men!!!! and your DH on the see-saw (or is it called a teeter-totter?)....and those purple flowers!!! and the moon!!!  You really need to publish a book with all your photos....you are mavelous dahling!!!!

Enjoy the festive season and have a very merry christmas.....Hugs...Karen

• chrissyb
    Options

Hi all!  It's quite awhile since I have let you know of my adventures in and around my home town.  I will, I promise sit myself down and give you all an update.  (need to sort some pics first)   Yes I have been a little slack but believe when I say I have been B.U.S.Y!.......lol.

Love n hugs.  Chrissy 

• sagina
    sagina Member Posts: 849
    Options

Aw, Chrissy, I miss you. Come back to San Antonio, there's so much more to see! yes that is my selfish request to see you again. I could use a Chrissy hug again! 

• kayfh
    kayfh Member Posts: 79
    Options

I saw this in active and I wondered about the revival. I read from where you posted photos of your lovely town. Noice.

• dara_diverse
    Options

Chrissy, I have this in my favorite topics and was thrilled to see it active again.  I can't wait to see more photos. I have really missed your pictures. Love you!

• Elisimo
    Elisimo Member Posts: 1,262
    Options

Chrissy so glad to see that you will be posting some more picture of what I can expect to see when I come see you. Missing you my dear friend. 

• hbcheryl
    hbcheryl Member Posts: 4,164
    Options

I have this is my favouries and was glad to see it active again, miss you Chrissy (((((HUG)))))

• chrissyb
    Options

Well I have finally got through some of my pics and found a few more that I have taken in my little town.  The first one is of the original Town Hall built over a hundred years ago and was where the Town Clerk had his offices until about 1970 when new premises were built.

I lived in Burra as a child for a few years when my father was the serving Town Clerk and I was only eight years old when we moved here.  My memories of that time were obviously those of a child but I always had fond memories of this little town so when it was suggested as a place to live a few years ago I jumped at the chance.........and here I am.

As an eight year old, I found this little town facinating......so many things to do and explore.  Having two older brothers I always had someone to tag along with so got to go to quite a few forbidden places and if my mother knew just where I had been I'm sure I would have given her a heart attack! 

Saturday nights were great, my dad ran the pictures which were shown in the Town Hall and because he was the projectionist and we lived right next door, I remember rarely missing a movie.  The best part of Saturday night was Sunday morning when my brothers and I used to sneak into the hall to pick up the soda bottles that were discarded so we could claim the deposit.  We even on occassion found the odd bit of small change that had been dropped and forgotten.  Mind you we had to be up early so we got there before the cleaners.

On returning to the town, I wandered through the Hall and the stage and projection room and it bought back a flood of memories of those good times.

Also at that earlier time, the next building was our rural Telephone exchange and Post Office. I'm not sure when the new Post Office was built but the old one is now the town Art Gallery.  We have had some really great exhibitions of different genres of art as well as a few Quilting Exhibitions.

The building itself is very quaint but thankfully has been put to good use rather than be left to deteriate.

The following house was built in the late 1800's and was until about 1980 the residence and rooms of the local doctor.  Now it is privately owned but the building is still beautiful.  It's strange just what children remember, as I remember the doctor who lived there back at the end of the 1950's as well as his two horrible (according to an eight year old girl) sons.....lol

I will continue to go through my pics and show you some of them.

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• dara_diverse
    Options

Chrissy - so happy that you have posted more photos. I love the 'feel' of these old buildings and enjoy your narration. I love getting to know you even better when you talk about your childhood and the cool things you did. I met you made some good money collecting the bottles and turning them in for money. We used to do that around here too but had to go through trash cans at the local corner stores. Although it was a hobby, it was also a job of sorts!

I look forward to seeing and hearing more from you. You are the most interesting person I have ever met. Too bad that neither of us can afford to hook up again. I miss you but hearing you talk about your past and your present makes me feel that I am with you, if only in spirit. 

I hope all the kiddies are doing well and that your girls are also well. Tell your handsome DH that I say hello and thank him again for letting you leave him for so long for your US tour!!  Love ya!

• badger
    badger Member Posts: 24,938
    Options

G'Day Chrissy!  Great to see the new pics and hear from you.  Wonderful stories & recollections. ((hugs))

(p.s. DorK - love the new avatar photo!)

• ma111
    ma111 Member Posts: 167
    Options

Crissy, this is greayt! I love the pics. I can read what people have wrote.

• hbcheryl
    Options

Awwwww Chrissy you evoke happy childhood memories from home, I too remember going to the doctors house with my mother Dr Abernathy - now why do I remember that and I can picture his front room as clear as day, also did you used to have Choo Choo bars at the movies, they were my favourite!!!!

• chrissyb
    Options

Chery I do remember the ChooChoo bars!  They were aniseed/licorice flavour and the best ones were hard so you could suck on them and end up with a black mouth and tongue......lol.  Do you remember jaffas?

• sagina
    Options

Jr. Mints, those were my childhood movie candy.  Hi Chrissy! Miss you. Are you doing well?

• hbcheryl
    Options

Jaffas oh yeah - chocolate and orange mmmmmm oh and ChooChoo bars were thruppence now does that show my ageTongue out 

• chrissyb
    Options

Hi Gina! I'm doing well thank you. Constantly wish I could repeat my trip and catch up with everyone again.

Cheryl I still love jaffas the only problem is they don't love me as I eat too many and gain too much weight!......... lol

• hbcheryl
    Options
    Well Chrissy you know me, I'm a cake/cookie girl and that's why I gym it every day just so I can enjoy my "treats" and I think we all wish you could swing by this way again you know there's always a bed here for youKiss
  • sagina
    Options

Oh Chrissy wish you could repeat the trip too!  but virtual touring will have to do!  I've gotten better with my camera though.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    Options

Chrissy love hearing the stories of your childhood and seeing the photos of the old buildings.  I live in an old historical town.  I grew up here and then moved away and went to college, career and raise a family and now am back.  Bought the Dr's old house and everyone tells me stories of going to the house and seeing the Dr.