Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

The 'Journey' has begun!!!! aka Chrissyb's USA Adventure!!!

Options

Comments

• painterly
    painterly Member Posts: 266
    Options

Please give my best wishes to SV (from one artist to another). We never hear how she is doing now that she is not on bco.

• Scuba_duchess
    Scuba_duchess Member Posts: 435
    Options

FYI. Had lunch with Chrissy in Philadelphia yesterday while Dorothy had PT. All well, but for Dorothy's Internet connectivity which was an issue. They were headed for NYC today (Thursday). Chrissy is quite the photographer, so hopefully we will get a nice big update soon!

• dara_diverse
    dara_diverse Member Posts: 5,003
    Options

Irr4993, you are so right, Chrissy is one of the lovliest gals I have ever met. She is a very wise and very loving lady. It is a true honer to be hosting her. I will be sad when I have to turn her over to Amy Jo but I know she will make good care of our girl. 

We are planning a trip to NYC today. Chrissy wants to see New York. One can not come to the USA without a trip to NY. Sadly, the weather is going to be bad but we shall plow through and get her there. This area is still flooded near any creeks or streams from Irene and I am told by a neighbor that there is flooding. But we will swim if we have to lol. 

Well as Chrissy would say, Good day, mate Laughing

• scooter-12
    scooter-12 Member Posts: 26,606
    Options

Sounds like you all are having a great time.  Keep the pics and updates coming.

• chrissyb
    chrissyb Member Posts: 11,438
    Options

Ok girls here we go.......my adventures with Dotty!!!!!

After a fantastic time on Monday night  with Hauntie, Kaye and Reecie, Dotty allowed me to sleep in on Tuesday morning to catch up on a few ZZZZZ's.  After lunch, we decided to go for a drive around so I could see some of New Jersey........It was fabulous and I was amazed at the variety of landscape in a small area!  The housing went from quaint to mansion and from built up area to farmland with a whole lot of woodland in between.

We did a drive by the swollen Delaware River and even though the levels were up, I still considered it beautiful.

As we were driving down the road next to the river we saw this gorgeous little gazebo perched right on the river bank.

A little further along that same road there was a house that had beautiful sculptures in the front garden............and of course I couldn't resist and snapped a few pics........lol

This one I thought was particularly poignant and very apt for this particular time.

I hope you can read the date at the bottom.

Dotty also showed me where she grew up and where she works and I was blown away at the size of her building!!!  

On Wednesday, we drove to Philadelphia where Dotty had an appointment and I got to meet up with Scuba.  She took me to a great place for lunch and then on a tour of the city centre where I learned a lot of History.  She was the perfect tour guide....lol....and a truly lovely girl and I thank her sincerely for giving up her time to do that for me.  I saw Independence Hall where the Liberty Bell used to hang as well as the bronze statue of Thomas Jefferson that stands in front.

Thursday, today we headed off to New York!    All the way the song by Frank Sinatra kept running through my head and I was so excited!  I have never travelled on such a busy road before......oh sure we have freeways and express ways in Aus but nothing like the New Jersey Turnpike!!!  Oh man was there some traffic there!!!

In just over an hour, we were turning into Battery Park on Stanton Island and I got my first clear glimpse of the famous Manhatten skyline.  It was an amazing experience!!!  Needless to say, the camera was once again in my hand and the shutter was clicking away madly!!!

Dotty drove very quietly down this road as it was cobbled and a little bumpy but lovely none the less, until we came to the parking area.  We alighted from the car and made our way down to the old railway building which is now a musem and where we purchased our tickets for the ferry.

After looking around inside the building, we made our way to the boarding area for the ferry, boarded and headed out in to the East River.  The view of New York was mesmerising! 

(This post is getting so long I think I need to submit and go to part two....lol)

• chrissyb
    Options

I'm back!!!   As I was saying, the view of New York was mesmerising.....I didn't know where to look first so I let the camera do my looking........

The Ferry ride was wonderful and we lucked out when it came to the weather......it was perfect!!!!  While most other places were wet or overcast, we had beautiful a blue sky with a few clouds and the gentlest of breezes that just ruffled the top of the water so the movement of the ferry was very smooth with almost no rocking so it was very easy to stand without the danger of falling over.   The first stop  was at Ellis Island and to see first hand the amazing building that was used to process so many of the new settlers to the USA was awe inspiring!!!

After picking up more passengers we headed once again out into the East River and headed for Liberty Island and my first good look at Lady Liberty.............she is just awesome!!!!!    I can imagine how new settlers felt when they first glimpsed her!

Well this has taken me well into the night and I must go repack my suitcase as I'm off to North Carolina tomorrow!   See you all from there!!!!!

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• wahine
    wahine Member Posts: 7,590
    Options

Amazing pictures, Chrissy! Feels like we are right there with you! So glad you are having such an amazing time, and I know our DorK was the hostess with the mostess. I was thinking today, that I am glad your trip to NYC did not happen 3 days from now. I know a lot of people work/live in NYC and Washington, but I would be a bit wary of being in those places on the 11th. My only trip to NYC was about 12-13 yrs ago, and we went up to the top of the World Trade Center and took so many pictures. This is a sad anniversary coming up, and I hope and pray that nothing bad happens on that day. SO I am glad you will be far away on the 11th! Have a great time at your next destination, and can't wait to hear about it! Hugs, Kathy

• kcl65
    kcl65 Member Posts: 741
    Options
    What a fantastic thread! I have really enjoyed it tthank you so much for sharing!  I am so glad that you are having such a good time in the states Chrissy! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy.... Laughing
  • annettek
    annettek Member Posts: 1,160
    Options

Wow what a journery cannot wait to meet you in San Antonio!!!!!!!!

• reesie
    reesie Member Posts: 413
    Options

www.stage4travelingpants.com

• Kay_G
    Kay_G Member Posts: 1,914
    Options

Wishing you a safe trip and fun in North Carolina!  I'm glad you got to experience New York with nice weather.

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    Options

Crissy, so glad you are seeing so many sisters and scenes in the US..thanks for keeping those of us who are not able to see you in person up on your adventure..

• wahine
    wahine Member Posts: 7,590
    Options

reesie, Thanks for the Traveling Pants link! And the pics of the gals with the pants that just met up in New Jersey are on there already! So glad Chrissy got to "meet" the pants and some of you have your picture taken with the pants. Really awesome.

• FireKracker
    FireKracker Member Posts: 5,858
    Options
    Keep the pics.comin...they are just wonderful...enjoy enjoy enjoy.....God bless and stay safe....I too am glad you will not be in NYC for 9/11....hugggggggs K
  • sweatyspice
    sweatyspice Member Posts: 13
    Options

I'm sorry I didn't get to meet you during your stop in NYC.  Hope you enjoyed it and have a fab time on the rest of your adventure!

• lassie11
    lassie11 Member Posts: 468
    Options

I've been lurking here and so enjoy seeing your trip Chrissy. Almost like we all are along for the adventures. Thanks for posting!

• Hauntie
    Hauntie Member Posts: 369
    Options

Hi  Chrissy - I hope you have as much fun on the next leg of your journey as you did on this one. I'm so glad I got the chance to spend some time with you. Safe travels.

• dara_diverse
    dara_diverse Member Posts: 5,003
    Options

Chrissy,

I can't say how much of an honor it was hosting you for the week. I miss you so much but you will always be in my heart. Your visit was the greatest inspiration if life received (other than giving birth). You taught me so much about myself and how to manage life each day. I am feeling so blessed at this moment and my heart is very heavy. I just send a friend request to the founder of the "traveling pants" (thanks again Reese for posting this link). I have purchased the pin and have finally found the right place to donate in memory of our dearly departed Junie.  I know you are having a great time with my newest breast friend, Amy Jo and hope the rest of your journey here in the USA is as sweet as you are.  Love you to pieces, Chrissy....(still have the image in my mind of you disappearing through the window at the airport ♥) You know what I mean, I watched until you were out of sight. Bittersweet. Thanks for being you, you are a beautiful lady and oh so wise. Thanks again and again for sharing so much of your wisdom and giving me your valuable time, so many words of wisdom and oh, the counseling was the best ! lol.  Love you, can't say that enough either. Happy trails to you, until we meet again.......

Dotty

• goldie0827
    goldie0827 Member Posts: 6,832
    Options

Awwww.........so sweet DorK!

• chrissyb
    Options

Thanks Dotty, you make me blush with your praises but if I have helped in any way, that's a good thing.  I loved staying with you and the time just seemed to fly by too quickly but that's what happens when you are having fun....lol.

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• chrissyb
    Options

Well girls, Dotty drove me to the airport in Philly and sent me on my way on the next leg of my journey.  The knees were playing up a bit so we got a ride up to security and down to the boarding gate.....thank heaven for that!  I still had a time to wait as I was early so I got myself a snack and a cup of tea at the store across from where I had to board.  The flight was quick and it felt as if I was no sooner in the air and it was time to come down again.  As the plane was approaching Raleigh, I was looking out the window and I was waiting to see a huge built up area which didn't arrive!  From the air, I saw little pockets of buildings and vast stretches of woods interrupted by rivers, lakes and civilisation........ It was a fantastic sight!  Amyjo and her DH picked me up from the airport at Raleigh on Friday evening and then we went back to her house to drop off my luggage before heading out to eat at a place called The Red Robin.  Wow!  The food there was great but there was enough per serve to feed me twice!......lol.  I could only eat half of it and the other we took home for the next day.

After getting organised and connecting up to Amyjo's internet, we visited for a while before hitting the pillows for sleep.  Saturday morning came too soon....lol....and Amyjo needed to wake me so we could get ready and packed up to head out to the Outer Banks.  We were chatting so much that she missed the turn for the bi pass road ...twice.....so I ended up with a great tour of North Carolina.  I saw Tobacco growing!.........something I had never seen before and cotton as well!!!    The Woodlands all the way were amazing!  Truly beautiful country!

To get to the Island itself, we had to cross a very big bridge.....but it was awesome!!!

This was my first view of The Outer Banks as we came down off the bridge.

Because of the tour.....wink, wink.......the trip took us a bit longer than normal so we didn't arrive at our Hotel until just after 5pm.  We checked in and promptly went to the room to set our things down and wait for S.V. to arrive so we could all go out for dinner.  It is so beautiful here and if you have never been, I highly recommend it!  We ate at a place called The Red Tomato and it served Italian style meals and after we ate, I ordered some cannolli to take back to our room to have with coffee........they are soooo yum!!!  Both Amyjo and I were so tired by just after 10pm that we both hit the sack and was out like lights until this morning.

Stay tuned for more adventures on The Outer Banks!

Love n hugs.  Chrissy

• socallisa
    socallisa Member Posts: 10,184
    Options

Love it

• Scuba_duchess
    Scuba_duchess Member Posts: 435
    Options

Chrissy. This is by all standards a special place in the US. Pirates hung out here, so we in the lounge should always feel at home, especiallly you as an Aussie. Enjoy my friend. See you in Oz....

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,882
    Options

Look like a lovely day to be heading to the seashore, Chrissy.  Enjoy!

[Note to self:  Check around for restaurants with "Red" in their name, as Chrissy does seem to be partial to them.]

• MCTHO
    MCTHO Member Posts: 44
    Options

When I saw the topic "Journey" I thought it was something about cancer treatments!  What a pleasant surprise when I saw it was about a vacation!  Thanks for sharing the pictures, I feel like I'm there with you!

• barbaraa
    barbaraa Member Posts: 3,548
    Options

Oh Chrissy, how great to see SV. See if you can talk her into going to MO. Eli, so glad I get to meet you!!

• elimar
    elimar Member Posts: 5,882
    Options

BarbA, I hope you will still feel that way after we play "Truth Or Dare!"  Mwa-ha-ha-ha!

• barbaraa
    Options

Melissa posted this pic of Chrissy meeting the Atlantic Ocean.

• barbaraa
    Options

Nice, the advertisement blocked her. Here it is again.

• Sherryc
    Sherryc Member Posts: 4,503
    Options

great picture.