Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited January 2013

I am 60. I used to look 45Surprised That is funny at least I know I am not alone. I never had lines around my mouth and now i do. Yes we have been through a lot. I do not do change well. I use some cover creme under my eyes and it used to blend in well. Now I can see the make up so my color has changed a bit. Oh well......

• Scottiee1
    Scottiee1 Member Posts: 1,790
    edited January 2013

Bunkie....too funny...I'm 65 and people used to take me for about 50. Now I believe I look

about 80, I know I certainly feel that way...thank you Letrozole....lol

• schatzi14
    schatzi14 Member Posts: 906
    edited January 2013

I'm jumping in here too...same story....the jowls appeared, the eyebrows went, the dyed hair is gray (it's OK tho)...the skin is pale and the same thing with the dark circles under my eyes. The coverup looks like crap. But we soldier on because if we don't, we will look even older. In the spring I am going to get a new wardrobe even if it is even a size bigger.

• Scottiee1
    edited January 2013

Ahra girl Susan......love the new attitude......but you're full of shit..you look great!!!!!

• cowpower
    cowpower Member Posts: 91
    edited January 2013

I will be 52 in two weeks- everybody used to think I was 40. Tamoxifen and chemo have turned me into a living raisin! I just keep getting thicker moisturizer, its sort of a hobby now. I hear ya on the concealer, I dont really concealing anything!

• Scottiee1
    edited January 2013

Cowpower.....ditto....my moisturizer keeps getting thicker and thicker also......lol

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited January 2013

You gals are too funny! But.....the really good news is that while I had huge black circles under my eyes from rads etc. they now have disappeared! Course I'm 13 months out of rads, and it took almost all this time but...there is a light at the end of the tunnel, and for once it's NOT the train! Oh, and my young looking, healthy complexion has returned too, soon i'll look like a little kid....or at least a young 65 year old again!

Also, speaking from experience, if you're several months out of rads and your breast is still hard and the skin is like an orange peel you should be evaluated for lymphedema. I've got stage 0, which is great because we caught it before it got worse, even though it took over a year to diagnose it. The PT sessions have made that breast soft and pliable and it no longer hurts. Course it also means I have to do the massage daily, but it sure helps. Just a suggestion......

• Scottiee1
    edited January 2013

MostlySew...I just discovered by coming here that my dark circles are due to radiation....

never had dark circles before in my life.....you have given me hope.....between my pale

Skin and the dark circles.....believe me ....not pretty.....lol

• MostlySew
    edited January 2013

Scottie....yah, I often wondered if a bag wouldn't be better!

• BUNKIE10
    edited January 2013

Looks like I need to go to the Clinique counter and get different make up. Wow. I do feel netter now.Wink I had the bathroom painted white last year. I know I know but mom left it peptobismo pink.I had no idea how bad I look in a white bathroom. 

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited January 2013

knitter, yes yes yes on the aloe (100% aloe.) My rad tech told me once that rads are like getting a terrible sunburn, and then instead of staying in the shade you have to go out the following day and lie in the sun again...and again...and again.  It makes sense to treat the affected area as a burn. You should apply the aloe after treatment, plus use an excellent paraban free moisturizer several times a day. Some of us have been happy with calendula, which is natural.  Others have used aquaphor, glaxol, udderly smooth, etc.

• schatzi14
    schatzi14 Member Posts: 906
    edited January 2013

I always had dark circles under my eyes...thank you genetics! It's the one thing I can't blame on BC...it's just the combination of all the stuff coming together. Yikes Cry

• momtopiglet
    momtopiglet Member Posts: 7
    edited January 2013

Hi ladies-  Just thought I'd come over here from the 'Winter Rads' thread....I finished radiation a week ago.  I am SO glad to be done with that, it's just the most awesome thing ever. Smile  But, now I feel like I have so much catching up to do (stuff with the kids, house stuff, work stuff, etc), and I still have these periods where I'm like 'I think I need to lay down', which is less-than-awesome. Undecided When is this fatigue supposed to go away?  And my mental capacity/ head is a mess.  Several times in the last week I"ve had someone mention something odd that I've said or done in the last 3-4 months that I DO NOT remember saying or doing....I dont' know if it's stress, or anxiety or what, but it makes me feel like I'm losing it.  I'm only 42, BTW....didn't have chemo.....I'm slightly feeling like I'm losing my mind.  Anyone else having this problem?  

• BUNKIE10
    edited January 2013

momtopiglet,

Good question. Some here are back to normal in a couple months. So far not me. I am still super fatigued. I was done Nov 13th. This is a great group of ladies. I am trying to be patient.

As far as the mental thing I was blaming that on my age of 60. Maybe it was rads. I just know my eyes look like I have not slept in 20 years.

• BUNKIE10
    edited January 2013

Scottiee1- I always had some darkening under my eyes but my concealer took it away. Now it is really dark and deeper than before. Plus my concealer is not working. I look like a raccoon.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited January 2013

Hello and Happy New Year to my dear friends on my favorite thread...
    I've been off for weeks...travel and chaos of the season.  I wasn't going to read back posts, but I had to when I realized that Janis was suffering a broken arm and we've welcomed some new ladies.
    What has been going through my mind is that this is the "Recovery" thread and most of us are doing well...yet here we are after at least a year sharing the SEs and life interruptions of BC treatment.  I have not had chemo, so cannot comment on that.  But I know it would have been pretty hard on me since I am already chemo-sensitive and can quickly "taste" chemicals that touch my skin or get inhaled. I had to pull out two (new low energy) light bulbs yesterday because of a chemical smell being emitted.
    First, some hellos - Janis I did not know until today about your break.  There are easier ways to get out of the dishes, my friend....are you done with your neck brace?  I hope and pray your pain is manageable and you are getting sleep.  Must be maddening to be idle.  Hurry back. 
    Sew, you asked about snow in NY - I am on the south shore of LI and we usually get rain.  Also, I traveled so missed that last fluff of snow.  It's been cold here and my son from SFO who was in DC with me noted the really cold temps in the Bay area.
    I agree with and love your New Years wish for good hikes and good times with people in our lives.  That's what I am hoping for!  My New Years res is the same as last year 'cause I didn't do so well - to spend time outside every day.
    Tricia, love the pic!  I hope you have an easy time ahead with rads. 
    SAB so happy about your good news mammo.  Whew....I don't remember mine but I did get a written "good report card" the same day. 
    Scottiee and Cowpower, sending positive thoughts for the upcoming mammos. 
    Why I am grateful for this group:
    it's been a year this week that I finished rads.  I thought it was all so easy....but here we are still talking about the SEs and life changes....my heart breaks for the suffering of so many women.  And my heart rejoices that there are treatments that save lives and give choices.
    But the most important aspect of being here is that there isn't anyone else in my life who really wants to hear about any of this any more.  I try not to complain about day to day inconveniences; but when I read the honest and practical posts it helps me understand and put into perspective all the changes that are occurring in my life.  It helps.
    Love and Hugs to all...
    Joan

• 5LuvBugs
    5LuvBugs Member Posts: 87
    edited January 2013

OK girls, I think I better change my name to Raccy Raccoon!!!! Yell I've had dark cirlcles since I was a teenager and haven't started radiation yet - I am 65 and also use to look younger than my age...Already noticed a big difference in my skin since I began chemo ( one treatment to go) and then it's off to Rads like the rest of you....I guess I better put on my wig, lots of moisterizer, plenty of makeup and take some pictures before I have circles down to my sagging chin and wrinkling neck.....AHH now I got that off my chest and I feel betterSmile

Anyway thank you girls for the tips about the moisterizer, aloe gel and now will someone tell me the secret of making the Pounce cornstarch thing...I have sagging boobs to match my chin so I know I'lll need it Wink

• MostlySew
    edited January 2013

Hi 5luvbugs....the pounce is easy....just put about 1/2 c or so of cornstarch in a stocking and tie it closed (an overhand knot works great). I stored the "pounce" in a margarine dish, and after showers or if I was feeling "sticky" would just gently tap it under my boob. It helps keep things dry. Obviously don't do this right after using your moisturizer as I can't imagine the resulting mess! They said I could use it within 2 hours of rads, but as I recall, I tried to avoid that. Anyway, it helped me. Oh....and the aloe gel you buy, make sure aloe is listed as the primary ingredient and is 99.9% aloe. Don't get the one Vaseline sells which tricks you with the verbiage "with 99% aloe". Except the aloe was about the 6th ingredient and that gel didn't work at all.

Hi Joan....glad you're back, know you said you'd be off line awhile but glad you've checked back in. You sound rested and busy all at once. I agree that it's strange that most of us are still here on this recovery thread....but it's so nice to keep up with the friends we've made over the time. I've decided it's ok for us old timers to be here as we can hopefully encourage the newer members, and also......I've come to think that perhaps this is like being an addict and we'll always be in recovery...lol.... Keep well and good to hear from you.....

• BUNKIE10
    edited January 2013

Haha luvbugs- I was just into whinning about my black eyes today. Saggy neck is next week. I saw it in the mirror today when I put moisturizer under there. I feel some plastic surgery coming on...just kidding. I am going to believe Mostlysew that it will all come back.

• Joanne_53
    Joanne_53 Member Posts: 714
    edited January 2013

I used the corn starch pounce (puff) too. I used it under my breast and the radiated arm pit. It was also cooling besides drying.

• SAB
    edited January 2013

Well, I am happy to be here, but if you year+ gals move threads do me a favor and let me know where you land :-)  

• Scottiee1
    edited January 2013

SAB......We're all over at 2013 survivors...see you there. 💃

• MostlySew
    edited January 2013

Man....you mean we moved and I didn't know?  Huh....is that like being picked last on the kickball team?  Except I think I'm a 2012 survivor.........

• Scottiee1
    edited January 2013

Mostly Sew.....too funny.....come and join us also.

• SAB
    edited January 2013

Yes, Sew, I am a 2011 surgery and rads so I guess I should be movin on out and will be glad for whatever thread will have me!

• cowpower
    cowpower Member Posts: 91
    edited January 2013

Wait! If everybody moves over to 2013 survivors, then I wont be able to chase Scottiee from thread to thread any more, and I was counting it as exercise.....

• BUNKIE10
    edited January 2013

I can't find that one. Does it say 2013?

• Scottiee1
    edited January 2013

Cowpower.....love your sense of humour...you make me laugh a lot, which is good for the soul right?....ok, cutting to the chase now......Ah NOOOOOOO....this does not count

as exercise .....don't even think about it...lol...I'll allow you about five calories per chase though, and 10 if you can catch me..💃💃💃

• Joanne_53
    Joanne_53 Member Posts: 714
    edited January 2013
  • MostlySew
    edited January 2013

Sab, actually I'm a 2011 gal too...but if we move, no one will find us! I'm happy staying here....the 2013 Suvivorship is under IDC because that's where they started.....hmmmm...let me know if we start moving someplace otherwise I think we can help the new gals and they sure seem to accept us old ladies!

Scottie...you sure are tough in this calorie counting stuff....since I've not only caught you but, in fact surpassed you, does that mean I get 100 calories?