Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• Lily55
    Lily55 Member Posts: 1,748
    edited January 2013

What about stevia as a sweetener?

• annemarieh
    annemarieh Member Posts: 124
    edited January 2013

Stevia in the raw is really good! yum

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited January 2013

Yes, Stevia, definitely.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited January 2013

Cowpower....now, that's a real bummer. All that knitting and he's grown! Any chance you could add a gusset or two? Maybe under the arms or at the shoulder like the gansey sweaters? I'm just finishing up a fair isle vest and hope it still fits me. I'm not supposed to have grown like your son but I have....

Janis....slow and steady wins the race.

And what's with all these January birthdays? Mine's the end of the month. My DH even made me a carrot cake from scratch last year; a first for him! Wonder what it would taste like without sugar? Can you use stevia in baking?

Ok ladies, I lost two pounds this past week...I'm on my way. Even better is that I walked every day. I'm feeling quite righteous.....

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited January 2013

Hi Janis, little step take you far!
    Hey I was down 5 lbs. this AM and felt pretty happy because I see cardiologist tomorrow.  But then I had to eat out and ended up with a low carb cheesecake.  It caused cravings but I just had pistachio  nuts.
    Am way behind on sleep...work has been crazy.  A 3 day week end coming up; then the stuents return to classes and the germfest begins!  This week end will be spend staying close to home plus getting hair done and organizing around the house.  I just want to sleep late once or twice before getting up at 6 AM every day for the next four months.
    Falling asleep here...have a good night everyone!

Joan

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited January 2013

sew i know you are tall like me.  2 pounds is excellent.

joan, i really cheer your loss too.  it has been so cold here for weeks, high's in the teens.  it is 1 below right now.  the subdivision is solid packed snow/ice.  far too cold and dangerous to walk.  my neighbor's son, the sweet young man who shovels our snow, fell on the ice just down the street and broke his wrist.  scouts from chicago cubs have planned a trip here feb. 2-3 to evaluate him.  austin is a pitcher...97mph average.  talk  about a bad break. the scout is upset but wants to be kept informed of his progress.  they will reschedule, but poor austin is so upset.  i am really sick of sub zero temps.  this ice has to melt.  it is supposed to finally get up to the low 30's by wednesday. 

you ladies who knit are so talented.  my mom did beautiful work, but i never learned. 

• annemarieh
    edited January 2013

JustmeJanis~I too wish I could knit! When my Mom knew she was REALY getting sick, she tried to teach me, but it just did'nt click. When she was sitting getting her txs, she would knit scarves and sell them right there in the chemo room!( Oh how I miss her!) She did teach me how to crochet years ago! I'm a lefty, and she, a righty, and boy was that fun! Talk about getting the giggles! (I am THE BIGGEST ding bat..EVER). Took a while, but I finally got it down pat! Congrats on all of you who are trying to stay healthy!

Annemarie

• joan811
    edited January 2013

Janis is back...Yayyyyy Smile  Sorry you are frozen in...and so sorry to hear about your young neighbor.  I am hoping it was not his pitching hand.  I do hope he gets a second chance.
    So, even after cheesecake, I did not gain any pounds.  (whew!) I ordered from the lite menu and skipped the bread last night.... Today I had vegetable egg white omelet from a deli and I turned down the bread again.  I also got a mall container of chicken with cranberry salad for lunch.  i felt great all day. 
    Cardiologist today....they weigh with my suit jacket and suede boots...but I ignored that number.
    Dr. upped my crestor (cholesterol prevention) and I am not happy since I really would prefer to not add any more meds.  Tinnitus is really bad and I just want a normal day.
    Sleep time...I do not hve to get up early this week end....
    Happy week end!
    Joan

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited January 2013

Welcome back Janis!!!

• cowpower
    cowpower Member Posts: 91
    edited January 2013

Mostlysew, the sweater was just all over a bit small, so I gave it to a friend for her son, who is a cute little daredevil. It will be big on him, but he should get a couple years out of it that way. I will make another for DS. Spent a lovely day today on my surprise birthday trip to the garment district in NYC. Took in about 20 fabric stores, including Mood. Next time bringing a van to fill with purchases!

Janis, glad you are moving toward recovery. Be careful out there!:)

• joan811
    edited January 2013

Birthday wishes, Cowpower!  What a fun way to spend the day.  It's so unbelievable - the amount of fabric, trims, buttons, threads...I used to go there when I was sewing and my mom was doing needlework.  What will you make?  It's often quiet on this thread on the week end.  And that's when I have more time.  I'm usually out of step...
    Got my haircut and totally relaxed for a few hours today.  Two more days before work starts up and students return.  I love long week ends. 
    Of course now that I am eating better for a few days, DH made an apple pie.  And bought a cheesecake. 
    I stole a few apples from under the crust but they tasted way too sweet. It's hard to resist!
    Good night all,
    Joan

• MostlySew
    edited January 2013

Cowpower......you went to Mood? Omg, I'm seriously jealous. I love watching Project Runway too. We have Britex in SF out here, but I haven't been down there in years. No wonder you're up so late at night....you're probably checking out all your stash. I started a new knitting project tonight, and haven't finished the last vest...which only needs some grafting and the edge ribbing. Ah we'll, I've got them both in the same project bag in the hopes I finish the vest...... :0

• MostlySew
    edited January 2013

Joan....don't ya just love it when our DH's help us by bringing treats? Gotta love em......

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited January 2013

Happy Birthday, cowpower!

Annemarieh, I am left handed like you and my mother is right handed. She tried to teach me how to crochet. It did not work, but we certainly had a lot of laughs along the way. More than 40 years later, the memories still warm my heart.

• joan811
    edited January 2013

Sew, Yup - he always does it - next he'll bring my favorite temptation!

I kind of wish it would snow enough to close school a few days....I need to sit on the sofa with my fuzzy throw and knit a whole scarf. 

• joan811
    edited January 2013

Hi out there...I know it's the week end ... hope everyone is enjoying the day.  Warm here...but plunging into arctic air over the next several days!

• MostlySew
    edited January 2013

Joan....hope you're not getting an ice storm. Those are something. We've had temps below freezing and mostly at 27 degrees every night for the last 10 days and that's like an ice storm for California. We're not used to it at all! On top of that we've had spare the air days for the last 4 consecutive nights so can't build a fire to keep warm. Ugh. But I like the idea of a snow day......

• SAB
    edited January 2013

Hi sew and joan.  I'm here.  It was a beautiful day yesterday, and we made it out to Wilder Ranch State Park for a nice long walk on the bluffs.  Today it was a quick walk on our street and then we got down to the business of watching our beloved 49ers make it into the Superbowl!

• MostlySew
    edited January 2013

Sab, that bluff is beautiful. We're headed to bodega bluffs on Tuesady. Go 49ers.....but I wish they wouldn't have such cliff hangers...too hard on the heart....

• SAB
    edited January 2013

Sew, It was definitely a nail-biter today.  I really like Kaepernick, and give him and the team a lot of credit for coming back after trailing so far behind.  I even take inspiration from it! I've never been to Bodega Bluffs.  Will you report back and tell me if we should go? (DH and I are trying to pick an anniversary destination.)

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited January 2013

ladies i am jealous of all of your mobility.  i feel so usless.  i did help give the boyz a thorough brushing and am paying today with a very sore arm.  we alway brush outside, but that has not been possible for weeks.  we are stuck in some inversion and highs have been in the teens and lows zero or below.  it is 2 below right now.  it has been this way for weeks, everyone is sick of it. 

happy belated birthday cowpower, sure sounds like a fun day. 

my mom used to knot and she did beautiful work.  the last time she visited me she asked me to pick out a pattern for the afghan she was going to make me.  I chose one with a lot of squares and different items in each square.  she told me she would buy the yarn when she got home.....when we were shopping i found the color and she approved...it was a soft buttery ecru?  I am terrible with color.  Anyway she had several projects to finish and then she promised to start mine.  It never happened.  She passed away with very short notice.  when cleaning out some of her things i found a large bag with all the yarn in it and my pattern.  heartbreaking.  my mom and her bf roberta had a pact.  they both did so many projects and it was an ongoing joke between them that whoever died first, the other person inherited all the yarns and books and sewing things too.  I gave it all to roberta.  she said she would make the afghan for me.  sadly she died a few months later.  what a great loss those two wonderful funny friends.

joan i wish you could have some much needed time off.  i know you are exhausted and have so little down time.

i am thrilled that the 49ers won yesterday.  my hometown team.  my first and favorite team is denver broncos, we lived in the denver area for many years.  we were heartbroken at their loss.  i will actually watch the superbowl and cheer for sf.

joan i would come more often but the typing is just such a pain.  it takes forever to write even a short post.  it is getting a bit easier but still difficult.  I do read and keep up with everyone though.  I am still in the cheering mode albeit kind of quietly in the background.

Love and hugs my friends.  i hope everyone has a great week.

• annemarieh
    edited January 2013

Oh Janis, I hope you start feeling better soon!! That's sad about your mom and her friend...as for football, I LOVE it! Did'nt know you gals were such fans! yey!(don't tell anyone, but i'm a Jet fan)...ugh!

Happy belated birthday cowpower! I too am up here in cow country, in (Orange cnty)DHworks for NYSDOT, and got called in to sit around until the snow hits...

• joan811
    edited January 2013

SAB, Sew - you Californians have it all -- really.  I go there once a year and it is hard to decide what to do because it's all so spectacular.  I always wanted to live where there are mountains and beaches nearby.
    I didn't know it was that cold....my DS in SFO does not keepin touch very often.  Love the photo...and will look it up when I have a chance.  The past 2 years when I went to CA, we went to Yosemite for a few days and stayed on top of a mountain in the foothills.  Next time I am thinking of going to Big Sur but the hotels are $600 -$900 a night.  Can't do that....any suggestions?
    Janis, you are doing great with the typing....so sorry you are housebound with the darned persistent cold!  I am sure it's not helping....do you have snow on the ground?  I know you have to be extra careful....be patient!
    So glad you are back though.
    Annemarie, how's the snow?  I have 4" and still going here....on the high end of the forecast.  I join you in being a NY football fan...I don't think everyone will like this, but I enjoyed watching the Ravens run over the Pats last night.  NYers don't love Boston teams in general Tongue Out
    All in fun, though.
    Get ready for the cold....tomorrow will be shocking....but nothing like Janis has been enduring!
    I have to get some sleep as early hours start....Janis, you are right - I need some down time - but I did get quite a bit over the holidays.  So it's time to step it up again!
    Hugs everyone, and stay safe!
    Joan

• annemarieh
    edited January 2013

Joan811~ We only got a dusting of snow lastnight. Darn it! I like the snow!! We are getting more up here friday night into Saturday! More Over time for DH! As for football....OH YEA!! I just loved watching the Ravens beat Brady..I mean the Pats!!! LOL! I like football in general! It's so fun to watch!

• SAB
    edited January 2013

Joan, in what season do you travel?

• Andrea623
    Andrea623 Member Posts: 572
    edited January 2013

Happy belated birthday, cowpower!

Bunkie, how are you feeling? Hope you're feeling better and stronger with each passing day.

Hey, have any of you had shoulder pain after rads? I started getting it about a month after my last tx. RO doesn't think it's related to my rads, which I disagree with, as I never had this prior to my tx.

And what's up with this fatigue? It's worse now than ever! You'd think after 5 weeks I'd be feeling great!

Sorry for all the complaining, but sometimes it feels like there's always something new springing up!

• MostlySew
    edited January 2013

Andrea,  Sorry to hear about your shoulder pains...amazing what all this treatment does to us isn't it?  The only thing I'd wonder is if you've been stretching out your arm/shoulder since rads?  Your muscles will tighten up (no idea why, it just seems they do) and a bit of stretching helps quite a bit.  My favorite one is to stand in the kitchen and reach my arm up along the overhead cabinets and sort of lean in to it to feel a wonderful stretch.  I do this while making my latte Surprised in the morning.

For the fatique, we're all different but again I'm not surprised you're more fatiqued now.  When we're in active treatment, our bodies are in "fight" mode, and we're doing our damndest to get thru all this with as much strength and dignity as we can.  When treatment ends, after a few weeks, somehow we think that it's all over and we should be back to "regular" (there is no normal anymore as you'll probably find).  the thing is, your body has been thru lots and lots and lots.  Not to mention the onslaught to your emotions.  You'll need time for your body to recover from all this, and fatique is the way your body lets you know to slow it down a bit and let it heal.  So.....I think you're on track to a great recovery, just allow time, stretch, and remember to exercise (that always helps) and give yourself "treats" often (like my latte in the morning).  Hope this helps........

• annemarieh
    edited January 2013

Andrea~yes! You are going to be tired...slow down, and listen to your body. It needs time to heal and regenerate itself. Listen to Sew. Everyone does heal differently. Good luck. We are here if you have any more questions!! And don't feel like you are complaining, we are all here to help each other! Foot in Mouth

• Andrea623
    Andrea623 Member Posts: 572
    edited January 2013

Thanks Sew and Annemarie! I have been stretching but I guess my shoulder is just going to get better on its own schedule. Guess I thought I'd be snapping back a little faster! Thank you for your wise words and for the encouragement!

It's funny, I think my friends and family must think since the active treatments are over, everything's back to normal again. I don't think life will ever be exactly as it was BC (before cancer).

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited January 2013

Andrea,

I am doing better as far as my skin goes. I have stopped peeling as much but still have sensitive skin that continues to be red. I can not wear a bra yet. I tried my genie bra last week for one day and had pain for 3 days afterward. I am 3 mos [past rads but seem to be slower than most. Maybe I am just old. At 60 it just takes time.

That fatigue is still with me everyday. I agree with mostlysew about why the fatigue is so bad. I have just decided to devote the winter to rest and will start to push a little in the spring.