Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited January 2013

You guys all had IDC. Can I come anyway?

• Joanne_53
    Joanne_53 Member Posts: 714
    edited January 2013

Bunkie, of course you can ... We are all survivors ...

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited January 2013

Hi everyone, I am just popping in to say hello to everyone from Janis. As you know, it is very difficult for Janis to type with one hand, but she wants everyone to know that she is lovingly reading your posts and wlecoming new members. Janis will see the orthopedist again on Jan. 15. Let's all hope she will be able to report good progress with her broken arm then.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited January 2013

I don't know if there is another survivor thread for 2011.  I'm kindof lazy...you know what a pain moving can be!  All that packing, and getting to know the new neighbors!

Janis, if you're reading this I send you a hug and well wishes.

• Scottiee1
    Scottiee1 Member Posts: 1,790
    edited January 2013

Sab and mostly sew........you two just crack me up...just think of the calories you will

use up moving....but no matter your decision....I can jog on over here to find you and get

my laugh for the day....lol...

• cowpower
    cowpower Member Posts: 91
    edited January 2013

I just need to chase everybody around to save enough calories for one little chocolate truffle, ok, maybe two!

Janis, hope yuy are feeling well and that all the "resting" isnt driving you too nuts. Hope you can type soon ((( hugs)))

• SAB
    edited January 2013

Oh, I did keep the holiday weight gain to 3 pounds...the least ever (I usually gain 5 just from the latkes!)  My will to exercise is faltering, that's my problem.  Some post-holiday blues I guess. DH is back at work, and after all that hiking--our final tally was 62.5 miles over break--it is awfully darn hard to face the treadmill. Uck.  Oh well, at least I can catch up on Dr. Oz while I exercise. 

• 5LuvBugs
    5LuvBugs Member Posts: 87
    edited January 2013

I wish I knew you girls better - then I would know when your joking and when your telling the truth...Am I suppose to believe that someone hiked 62 miles?  Jogging, packing and moving to a new thread - you girls are hilarious - at least I think you are...  Ok, I'm going to continue reading so I can figure you out... Wink

Tricia

• SAB
    edited January 2013

LuvBugs I cant believe it myself!  Don't worry, I didn't do it all at once.  More like 10 or so hikes that average about 6 miles, give or take a few, over the course of 2 weeks. Our "capstone" hike was 9.6 miles in the hills above the coastline and it really was a great feeling (except I couldn't feel my legs)...When I came out of surgery/rads in late November 2011 I couldn't make it around the block at the park, and had to hold on to DH to get back to the car.  

Well, I got back on that nasty old treadmill today and watched the Bobby Jones story and now I feel like golfing. I really need a job. 

• BUNKIE10
    edited January 2013

Ok now I feel awful.Frown It feels like a mile to get to my basement.

• SAB
    edited January 2013

Bunkie, I'm sorry if my post was self-centered!  Believe me if I can do this anyone can.  You are so new out of rads you have to give your body time!  You'll be springing up and down the basement stairs in no time at all (although personally I'm always looking for an excuse not to do laundry.  Is that what you are going to the basement for, or is it a secret lab, or where you keep your boyfriend when he is bad?)  In any case, baby steps!!! 

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited January 2013

Sab.....yep, if we try to move, it will be just pointless....we KNOW these neighbors!  Isn't there something about the devil you know and two birds in the hand?  Tehehe

Ok, Tricia and Bunkie, the way to look at Sab's hiking miracle, is that it gives each of us more calories to eat!  Yep....this is true because she clearly can't eat them all, so we get to split them.  And, watching is such a great spectator sport that sometime, just sometimes, it gives you the impetus to actually move on your own!  As Sab says, if she can do it, we can do it.

And, cowpower....be careful wishing Janis well, because once she is she'll be baking some goodies that are impossible to resist and make you gain weight even if you've dutifully read "Hiking with SAB" twice in one day.  Her baking is just that good!

Hi Janis......I'm hoping that since you haven't posted, you really are following Dr's orders....or are you hiding out someplace else and don't want to admit all the things you're doing.  We're thinking of you......

Scottie...I think you'll just have to jog on back daily, we love to see you and this way Joan and Elizabeth still know where we are.

Speaking of which...Steph.....you still out here?  Doing well I hope!

Ok, I do have to admit that I walked today.  Did my street which includes two hills.  Not killer hills, technically, but they felt like it today.  Do I get extra goodies?  Maybe I can just take a peek at one of Janis's fabulous desserts.  After all, I think I'd only have to scroll back about 10 pages, I still have the energy for that....... 

• cowpower
    cowpower Member Posts: 91
    edited January 2013

Mostlysew, omg, was that picture of all the cookies at Christmas from Janis? I dream of that daily! You are right, I may be playing with fire here. Oh well, I guess we have all figured out you only live once...

Bunkie, dont feel bad. I was never in the best shape, but never imagined I could be this low. I cant make the 5 minute walk from my house to the post office on flat ground without stopping to rest. Just have to give ourselves a rest and plug along slowly, I guess.

• MostlySew
    edited January 2013

Cowpower....yep, that's Janis's cookies. She's a wonder. And to both you and Bunkie, and all the others just finishing.....it takes time. But soon you'll notice you can do more than even a week ago, or that when you hit the proverbial brick wall you don't need to sit for as long to get your energy back. Any kind of walk you can manage (even to the basement Bunkie or the post office Cowpower) is a good thing. And......you get points! Lots of points! They can be traded for treats! Something good....a hair cut? A pedicure...something just for you. Now, what could be nicer than that. Tricia, I'm serious....treats for yourself is part of the healing process :))

• BUNKIE10
    edited January 2013

SAB - I feel better now. I was thinking OMG she is a wonder woman. Haha no boyfriend in the basement..it is my storage area for everything that will not fit in this old house and small kitchen. I only do laundry twice a week. I just figured the steps would be good exercise.

MostlySew and cowpower,

Thanks for the encouragement. I do see some improvement. I just want all this gone. I have 25 steps to my basement from my bedroom. I do that 6 times a day at least and the 15 steps from the kitchen to the bedroom. I do that about 15 times a day. I have balance problems from chronic vertigo so I can only walk with assistance. I will be fine.

• MostlySew
    edited January 2013

Bunkie, You're right, you will be fine.  Anyone who can count all those stairs and walk them so many times a day will, most certainly, be fine.  You go girl......

• Elizabeth1889
    edited January 2013

Hi everyone, I just wanted to chime in that Janis's baked goodies are indeed as good to eat as they are to look at. She is amazing! The best baker and the sweetest person ever.

• MostlySew
    edited January 2013

Ok, Elizabeth, now I'm jealous.  You mean not only did you get to visit Janis, but you got sweets too?  Hmmmm, maybe we all need to plan a road trip.  Even if only imaginary.  I can pick up Sab on my way out of California..........

• Elizabeth1889
    edited January 2013

Yes, MostlySew, I was doubly fortunate. Not only was I blessed to meet our wonderful Janis in person, but she had her famous cake balls and cheesecake waiting for us.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited January 2013

Hi all,

I think we can jump around threads now and then....without being unfaithful :-D
    I just can barely keep up with the few I try to read.
    I got a few smiles thinking about the calories we get to share....
    Janis, this is for you....hope you are feeling a bit better.
    I hope she shares!
    Hugs,
    Joan

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited January 2013

Hi ladies.  Just popping in to say hi to you.  Janis, sorry to hear about your injury.  It sounds like SAB, Elizabeth, Mostly Sew, you are still here and helping the newbies as they come along.  I have read back and been catching up a little with everyone.  I am doing well.  I am a little behind on my follow ups, and have to get them done soon.  My mom went in for a routine surgery in November, and she died of complications.  It was so quick and such a shock to the whole family.  She was 80 and a 15 year bc survivor.  She was having a repair on a hiatal hernia,  and it should have been routine.  The surgery didn't go as smoothly as hoped and she contracted a severe infection.  I was the person appointed to make her medical decisions, so it was a bit harder for me.  I felt so responsible to make the right ones.  My father was there too, and he was a rock.  I have two sisters, both younger than me.  I am 63, and they are 59 and 60.  My brother is only 45.  The baby of the family.  He lives in Turkey, so he had to rush home.  Now we are concerned with helping my father adjust.  Sorry I have been gone, but life has thrown us a few curve balls lately.  Good to catch up with all of you again.  Take care,  GiGi

• Scottiee1
    Scottiee1 Member Posts: 1,790
    edited January 2013

Gigil.....my condolences .....I lost my mother when I was in my late fifties......my father had already passed. So now it's just my brother and me.....I can only same that it's time,

that makes it easier. I still miss her a lot but it has gotten easier over the years.

I too was the one to make the medical decisions and I forced the Dr. to have her morphine increased to the point where her heart would stop. It is what my mother wanted, but the guilt is still with me. I deal with this by saying she is out of all her pain now. Hang in there, it WILL get easier.

• Joanne_53
    Joanne_53 Member Posts: 714
    edited January 2013

Gilgil, what a horrible shock. I have lost both parents and it does get easier ... There isn't a day that goes by that I don't think of one of them. Keep the memories alive in you by talking about them. Sometimes that means crying or laughing or both.

It is going to be tough on your dad. He has lost his life partner ... Allow him the time to grieve too ... Each of us do it differently.

My thoughts are with you and our family.

Joanne

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited January 2013

GiGiL,
    There is never a good time to lose a parent, and the holiday season is especially difficult.  I am sorry for your loss.  It is not easy to make those decisions...I dragged my feet signing those papers for my Mom - she too a turn so suddenly and when I got to the hospital she was already on a vent.  I feel so badly that I was not there for her that day.  I hope you can now focus on the beautiful family memories that you have.
    Hugs & prayers,

Joan

• Elizabeth1889
    edited January 2013

GiGiL, I am so sorry that you have lost your dear mother. We can never be prepared for such a loss no matter how or when it happens. Time does heal, but for now it hurts so much. Sending hugs to you and and keeping you in my thoughts and prayers.

• SAB
    edited January 2013

Gigi, I'm so sorry for your loss.  

• BUNKIE10
    edited January 2013

GiGil - I am new here but wanted to send my condolences. My dad died in 08 and my mom went in for routine back surgery and woke up almost a vegetable. As an only child it was a shock and I had to step up very fast for her memory care and finally her living will wishes. It takes you down all that stress but please know we are all here for you.

My prayers go out to you and your family. 

• PRW
    PRW Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2013

Hi All.. I am just joining this..I just had surgery yesterday-left breast lumpectomy. Once pathology comes back I will see the oncologists next week ..right now radiation only..so what can I expect? The place is on the inside above my heart and lungs. I was told that might mean a little more skin burn? Is that true? What kind is side effects?

I would appreciate any advice your willing to share.

• annemarieh
    annemarieh Member Posts: 124
    edited January 2013

GiGI~I'm new here also. I'm so sorry about your mom! It's an awful thing!! Scottiee1, my brothers and I also had to keep asking the Dr for more morphine. She actually coded in the onco office, and my (not so nice their whole marriage) had her put on a vent, took off to the Jersy shore "to think about taking her off"...her BC went every where. (mets). It was THE worst thing, to sit there and wach your Mom taking her last breath... It's been 3 yrs now. I was DX 6 months after we buried her! Wow!! That felt better!! lol! Thanks for listening, and letting me vent! Nice meeting you all! Love your sense of humor...all of you!! :)

Annemarie

• 5LuvBugs
    5LuvBugs Member Posts: 87
    edited January 2013

GiGi, Joan and Annemarie - Your mom's will always be your angels.Innocent..Sending good wishes and thoughts to you girls and anyone else who has lost their parents.  I am very fortunate - my mom is 90 and my dad is 91, she is bedridden but he is doing good.