Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• 5LuvBugs
    5LuvBugs Member Posts: 87
    edited February 2013

Thanks Mac, I feel better already - I'm just upset and another thing, I was ready to go for my 8:20am appt and they called at 7:45 to postpone until later today when machine is fixed, heck it's a beautiful day and I could have gone shopping or cleaned or done the unthinkabe - exercised!!!!!   Now I am hanging around waiting for  them to call.  I will see Doc today and tell him my worries...

Yes, the Genie's come in different sizes, I get the XL but they come bigger and smaller..

• macatacmv
    macatacmv Member Posts: 1,200
    edited February 2013

Thanks, luvbug. I will look for the bra online. 

It does mess with your day when you're waiting for a call. I have done that, too. But now I try to look for joy. Just the feel of the sun on my face, even if the ground is all slushy. A bright red cardinal against the bright white of the snow. At least you are not at the center waiting in your "designer" gown reading old magazines. Do something nice for yourself, forget the cleaning. 

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited February 2013

Hi macatacmv.  I pick up my genies at CVS or KMart!  I think you can also get them at "as seen on tv" stores.  Anyway, the point is that they are so inexpensive at $19.99 For TWO of them in a package that trying them is low risk (not to mention they can be returned.)  Maybe you have a BFF who wants to split a package and try them?

LuvBugs those machines are vey finicky.  I hope you enjoy your day! I'm up a couple of pounds and so my first stop is the treadmill Yell, then resume's then dinner prep and then OUT somewhere. Anywhere.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited February 2013

5luvbugs...I agree with Macatac, Rads are scary and I remember the beginning of my treatments being disrupted too....they were late, the machine broke etc.  One day they were calibrating it.  I think it is true that they're making absolutely certain that it's all working up to par before they treat anyone.  It will probably settle down and all seem normal to you.  Talk with the Tech's and the RO nurse they will all reassure you.  And just think....you've got 7 done!.  I think the pain in the incision is sort of normal too.  Make sure you're gently stretching out that area every day to keep your shoulder and pectoral muscles mobile.  I like to reach my arm up the wall cabinets in the kitchen and gently lean in to it....while making my latte of course Wink 

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited February 2013

Hi ladies,

I know that I should not wear my normal bras during rads and was told I should buy something called a "softee" camisole by a friend who went through this and like me had a lumpectomy before beginning rads. Can't I just buy a few camisoles at Kohls instead? The "softee" brand are like 60 bucks as opposed to maybe 15-20 for others at Kohls although she told me her insurance reimbursed her.

I know I can't buy the type with a built in bra, but I need some support at work so I don't hang or bounce although I am small breasted. My cup size is between B and C (with light padding a C) and my band size is 36. Any suggestions? I need to be ready (like a girl scout) as that is my nature so can anyone advise me on this?

Thanks in advance!

• Annette47
    Annette47 Member Posts: 108
    edited February 2013

April - I've been wearing some cami's with the built in shelf (so not a full bra, but some support) that I got at Sam's Club for around $12 for a 2-pack.   I think the brand was Oscar DeLaRenta?    I am about a 34-36 between a C and D in most things (usually D, but never bigger) and find these to be fine.  For those I'm wearing a medium, but that's a tad bigger than I would normally wear - they run big.   I also have some cheap soft cotton sportsbras (Fruit of the Loom from Walmart - about $10 for 3) that work as well.    Nowhere near enough support for actually doing any exercise, but enough to keep the girls from drooping to my waist, LOL.

They told me basically to avoid anything too restrictive (like underwire) and to look for as high a percentage of cotton as you can find - you want something soft and breathable.

• truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    edited February 2013

I had a sports bra that I had to use -even on my small breasts- for a year after rads for exercise. But now I'm okay braless again (unless I want to wear one) at 13 months post rads.

I had to use a LOT of heavy creams so I opted for the most soft and absorbant of my husband's t-shirts during and the month after treatment for both comfort and to save the sheets. I've heard of many, many women going topless around their house (or even in a locked office) when they are most sensitive during treatment.

A couple of things that really helped me greatly:

1.) Hydrate! I drank water -esepcially two cups at the center just before the rad treatments.

2.) Even if only very very lightly 20 minutes a day three or four days a week, I lightly kept up my jogging -which helped my energy not bottom out.

3.) I never (to this day) have stopped the post surgery arm exercises. I just limit them to 4-5 times a week, once a day and do them with my light inside jogging. They not only help with getting through, but keep you from shrinking muscles and keeping your flexibility. I cannot tell you enough how important this is, both through treatment and long term.

• april485
    edited February 2013

Thanks so much for your responses! I know I will figure this all out eventually! Tongue Out

truebff, I already drink tons of water so that part should be easy for me at least. As for the "arm exercises" with a lumpectomy, will I be asked to do those? Even after the vacuum assisted core needle biopsy, I had some shoulder soreness (not a lot but some none the less) so I am afraid of a frozen shoulder situation since I type a lot in my job. I need my arms!

I don't jog due to a bad knee (need TKR at some point but I put that on the back burner for now) but I do walk a good bit and recently lost almost 85 lbs (so glad I did this as I know I am in so much better shape for the trials that lay ahead!) so would walking work? I use my treadmill (an old manual) most of the time and go at a good clip to get my heart rate up. I know that my strength training (lifting free weights) will be out of the question for a while (have not done any since my biopsy frankly as I don't want any issues with that side at all before my surgery and I have some arthritis/bursitis already!) so any arm exercises that you recommend?

• Andrea623
    Andrea623 Member Posts: 572
    edited February 2013

April, I wore Jockey Luxe camisoles or shelf bras during rads, and they were the only ones I could tolerate. I had nerve pain from the mx, and could only wear the softest materials. The Jockey ones were perfect and I still wear them, even though I'm 2 months out of rads. I do the same stretching exercises i was given after my surgery, so be sure to keep up with them.You'll be an old pro at rads after the first treatment, so try not to worry too much!

• truebff
    truebff Member Posts: 322
    edited February 2013

April,

Congrats on losing 85 pounds!!!!!! Go You!!!

Walking is GREAT! Some people also like a rebounder if that's not too hard on you.

But, after your lumpectomy, they shuld give you a handbook with exercises for your arms and flexibility. (If they don't, ask for it. If they don't have it, google breast surgery exercises or handbook at the University of Michigan Hospital Cancer Center and get a copy on line.)

What you need to know about the arm exercises is that for the first week or months, twice a day and after that keep it up 4-5 times a week throughout radiaiton AND the same for the rest of your life. They are boring, but easy and they only take about 10 minutes a day and they WILL make a difference. You can do them during as few as three commercial breaks watching a favorite TV show.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited February 2013

cowpower, I thought I noticed the scent of meatballs in the air.....too funny!!!
    luvbugs, you should voice your concerns to your RO. It is a little unusual to have that number of breakdowns...but typically they will be very careful in aligning and checking the program.  It's all computerized and you will likely use the same machine throughout. 
    April, I used the Kohl's cotton camis with the shelf.  They were great for me.  I got a large and it was OK through treatment.  Occasionally I had to wear a bra for work and it didn't hurt...RO said it was OK.  Between the Aquaphor lotion and the black marker on me for boosts, the camis took a beating.  I did not need to spend a lot.  And, you can have them delivered.
    I was not religious with the arm exercises after, but your body will tell you if you forgot.  I had a painful shoulder during/after rads, but I worked through the discomfort and it healed.
    Joan

• macatacmv
    macatacmv Member Posts: 1,200
    edited February 2013

Wow April, the weight loss is a huge accomplishment!!! 

I agree with the rest of the ladies. Cotton is the best during rads. I got some 100% cotton tshirts and donated them to the cause, so when they got greasy from the ointments I didn't care. The RO nurse will tell you what to use. I bought some cotton sports bras from walmart that hook in the front and they worked for a while but by the end it was the cami shelf bra under a big button up shirt. But this is all down the road a ways for you. 

Get through the surgery first. I was also told that I would only need a few days off from work, but I work with the public and I caught a cold after the first 2 days. That caused my breathing issues when I went thru rads. So keep your self safe. Anyway we are always here for you. So don't try to figure too much out before it happens. Rest up and enjoy life. 

I'm going off island for my DEXA scan on Thursday I'll check out CVS for the genies. thanks for the input.

• adagio
    adagio Member Posts: 713
    edited February 2013

I am not due to start radiation until late March - but just wondering how long after radiation is it OK to go on a flight? Is it true that flights can cause lymphedema in the arm? Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

• Annette47
    Annette47 Member Posts: 108
    edited February 2013

My understanding is that if you already have lymphedema, then a long flight has the potential to aggravate it, but if you are not already having symptoms it should be ok to fly.    I'm actually playing hooky from rads on Friday as I am flying to FL for the weekend (about 2.5 hours) tomorrow after an early morning treatment to watch my daughter compete in a gymnastics meet.  I have my RO's blessing and he did not recommend any special precautions.

• adagio
    adagio Member Posts: 713
    edited February 2013

Annette - good to know. Enjoy watching your daughter in her gymnastics.

Hope your radiation is going well for you.

• 5LuvBugs
    edited February 2013

Three cheers for Annette's daughter!!!! Good luck honey...

April I missed your post, how did you lose the weight, I already need to lose 27 lbs and when I start that Arimidex I'll gain more!!! Oh No...

My Rads appointment was cancelled again today - machine still down, should I still be worried that I'm missing treatments (only had 6, should have been 8 by now - need 33)  I am also worried about the accuracy of the machine!!

One more thing, you may remember that my Avitar is a good impression of the hair on my head - would you say it's time to cut it all off?  I kept it for warmth and cushioning under the wig...I look like a chemo patient - oh that's right I amSurprised

• april485
    edited February 2013

LuvBugs, I lost the weight very slowly (over 2 years) on WW. I have actually lost over 150 lbs in the last 10 years total. I was over 300 lbs at around 5 feet tall and now I weigh 142. I also divorced a jerk after 27 years of marriage in 2002 which took the stress out of my life (until the shit hit the fan in other ways the last 3 years) and that helped me to be able to lose weight easily. I am happily remarried to a wonderful man for the last 5 years and he is very supportive. He married me at 190 lbs and I gained back some and was 225 when I began WW in Jan 2011. This time no gaining it back.

I can't be a yo yo and it is about my health this time, not the looks (although that is a side benefit Wink) I know the AI's will likely make me gain but if I am watching it and still doing WW and exercising, I am hoping that won't happen or maybe after an initial spike I will be able to lose again. My goal is 120. Almost there!! Stupid cancer better not get in my way..lol

• april485
    edited February 2013

Also I hope they get the machine fixed. I know you want to get on with it and done with it. I would be so upset! Once I start, I just want to finish!

• gemini4
    gemini4 Member Posts: 320
    edited February 2013

Wow, April, congratulations on your fantastic progress!  (And on your happy new marriage -- 5 years is still newlywed!)

• april485
    edited February 2013

Annette, if you had any nodes biopsied, I heard that Lymphedema could be a problem at any time in your life as the risk is lifetime. I also heard that when you fly if you have had nodes biopsied you should make sure to wear compression on that arm and hand. I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure that I read this somewhere on these boards. You may want to ask on the LE thread. They would likely know. I guess you will always be at risk although it lowers over the years? I think that is what they said anyway. Enjoy your trip to where it is warm!

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited February 2013

truebff - I have a followup with the surgeon next week. I think he just looks at the scar and signs off. I also see the RO for a follow up mammo and a visit with him. The Oncologist did not request to ever see me again with DCIS and seemed to be upset when I did not sign up for the trial they were doing. She is also mad that I am weaning off HRT and not stopping cold turkey. That is about all I have.

The new endo I saw suspects parathyroid or some sort of problem there for me. I have an ultrasound, Bone density, tons of blood work and a 24 hour urine test coming up. He thinks the kidney stones and my swollen thyroid are connected. I like him so far.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited February 2013

April, a love story on V-day!  That's nice.  I just want to notify you officially that your weight loss makes you my "idol" of the month.  And to tell you what my bff said when she shed her bad husband:  "The fastest 180 pounds I ever lost." 

• Elizabeth1889
    Elizabeth1889 Member Posts: 509
    edited February 2013

I talked to my breast surgeon about wearing a compression sleeve when I flew in order to avoid lymphadema. He agreed that it would be better to be safe than sorry and he prescribed one for me. I have flown several times since then and I put the sleeve on an hour before the flight and keep it on for an hour after the flight. So far I have no problems.

• 5LuvBugs
    edited February 2013

SAB love you comment to April..fastest weight loss

April I am soo proud of you and i'm sure you are beautiful just the way you are.  I signed up for weightwatchers on line on Monday and so far I have only recorded one meal!!! I just ate some cheese and now I need to ask you to give me hell when I don't sound like I'm dieting...

Bunkie good luck with all your tests...

I have to get to sleep now, eyeballs rolling....night nght girls

• april485
    edited February 2013

LOL Luv Bug. WW is NOT a diet...it is a way of life yada yada..sometimes it still feels like a diet. Like today when the office was filled with chocolate! I lost all of my 83 lbs online only, no meetings. I just track religiously and I use those 49 weekly points always! Without those, I would be starving. I also make sure to walk every day too. It is a very slow weight loss program but I am more likely to keep it off if I lose slowly.

It has taken be two whole years to lose 83 lbs. But, hey, progress is progress! Hugs and best of luck to you. Cheese is fine on WW. Just not too much of it cause it sucks up your points!

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited February 2013

I hope everyone had a day where she felt loved!  If not, then maybe you didn't check in here  (((sisters)))
    My Valentines Day was great...but i had car trouble on the way home, which I got it going...then hit a snow bank in my driveway and dented my car door.  DH told me...i had no idea.  Am bummed and dont' want to go to work tomorrow.
    About LE...I never went looking for it - I had cording after surgery and did massage.  I have flown for 20 hours and did not have issues.  I may have a touch of LE since my lumpectomy side is larger than the other, but nothing obvious.  I naturally do massage whenever I am able.
    LuvBugs, if your hair look as cute as your avatar, don't worry about a thing!  Did you still wear a wig?  I did not have chemo and don't know what I'd do.  Just be comfortable. 
    So sorry to hear about the machine being down.  I think I would be concerned too.  Did you speak with your RO?  I hope it gets to be smoother sailing through rads for you.
    Going to sleep...here's to TGIF and a long holiday week end.
    Joan

• 5LuvBugs
    edited February 2013

Joan hope the dent in your car isn't too bad.  As for wigs, mostly I wear hats or turbans with a soft cap under it but yes I still wear a wig in public (otherwise I look like my father - he's 91 and bald) actually,,,,,,.....

if you Girls want a good laugh, the other night I got out of the shower and was sitting on the bed facing the mirror (still naked)- I saw a man staring back at me, thought it was my dad - I gasped in horror and suddenly I realized I was looking at myself..Surprised    OH NO!!!!

April, would the delicious crackers I ate with that cheese count toward my WW points Tongue Out How about the 4 pieces of Rustle Stover candy?   guess I'm doomed alreadyWink

• Andrea623
    Andrea623 Member Posts: 572
    edited February 2013

5LuvBugs, that was the best laugh I've had all day! I'm still giggling over it! Thanks for sharing!

I have a coworker who lost 50 pounds doing WW online. She still had her little pieces of chocolate, so she never felt deprived. She exercised with her kids doing one of those dance games for the XBox, and said it was a lot of fun. I'm klutzy and would probably trip and fall down, much to my family's amusement.

And ugh, thought that bug that was going around missed me, but guess I was wrong. Coughing and feeling lousy today!

• 5LuvBugs
    edited February 2013

Glad you enjoyed my humor - nothing better than a good laugh - especially if you laugh so hard you have tears running down your leg Tongue Out

• 5LuvBugs
    edited February 2013

Andrea, hope that lousy rotten feeling goes away quick - now tell me, is that pic of you recent because you have hair and I don't - oh thats right, this is the Rads board, not the chemo....Now about the XBox exercise - I can't get my leg up that high anymore....too many tears running down it Surprised