Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited March 2013

RMlulu - I hope not either but I did not have a problem before rads so who knows. Could be a temporary upset. We will see. I see you are form Ca also. I miss it. Selling the house next year and moving back.

SAB - You are right. I knew it had to be more than SEs from rads. It has been 4 months and still no end to the jitters and  fatigue. Matter of fact I had more energy during rads. Go figure. We will know soon. I guess compared to other things thyroid is common.

They tell me not to drink on prednisone. I think after the biopsy I will have a nice Black Russian. That was my drink back when I thought I was a hottie.....in my 30s, 40s and early 50s.Foot in Mouth

Josie - Keep up the protein and drink a lot of water. I drank so much I was swimming it seemed and still ended up getting fluids from the ER twice. I think rads dries you out they told me.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited March 2013

Adagio - what breathing method do they have you do before rads. I try and arrive early so I can do some deep breathing and begin to adjust to slower less deep breaths...let me know. I'm curious especial after the study in the news Thursday about our heart.

Happy healing thoughts to my rad sisters! Healing light ...

Cindy

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited March 2013

Bunkie I know you still are a hottieWink it is a mental state, not an age!

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited March 2013

Don't you think anyone going through Radiation or chemo has the right to ask for a handicap sticker?I was so fatigued last night that I wasn't sure how I would get out to the car when it hit me in the back of the store.I asked one of the techs at the Rads Center about a application.She said to ask the lady at the front desk.That lady said "Oh no honey we can't give that to you you have to prove you have an actual disability at the Dmv.I was only asking for a temporary tag to get me through the fatigue I may and have already faced.I couldn't believe it.When I got to work I almost wanted to cry.I told my friend at work about the stupid lady at the desk.She took it upon herself to call over to the Cancer center herself and left the nurse a message.Then I found the form on line and faxed it over to her.She called and left me a message that I couldn't get one because I didn't qualify and that the DMV has specific guidelines on who can and can't qualify and that I didn't fit those guidelines and that their hands were tied.Really??

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited March 2013

Hey Josie

I would challenge the denial. I have gotten a temp for mother, brother, & hubby. I would talk directly with form in hand to your RO/MO/ or BS someone on your team. They will get it...you are working & undergoing treatment you need the help. Fatigue is a SE...a Dr has to sign the form & you see Dr each week so. Rest hydrate eat well and go in Monday prepared...will be praying for you.

Sending good thoughts your way ((hugs))

Cindy

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited March 2013

Josie,

Ask your PCP or someone who knows you well to fill it out. That will usually do it. I have a lifetime one that my Ortho insisted on due to my bone on bone knee and that is fixable (eventually) but he would not take no for an answer. I rarely use it but will when I am having a really bad knee day. Hoping that one of your docs will fill it out. Hugs!

• josie123
    edited March 2013

April and Cindy Thanks for the encouragement.I wasn't too sure about whether or not I should even post that about the tag.I am a little to proud I guess.I also felt a little guilty because Its like I'm not terminal so do I even have the right to ask for one.I will ask my MO on Monday and I will have the form in my hand.I used to work at a Podiatry office and we handed those forms out all day long.There are so many on this site that have been through slot worse than I have so I'm trying not to complain too much.I get home from work and sometimes I just sit there .I should plan my meals a little better so I don't have to cook when I get home.Luckily the kids haven't complained they eat but,not always before 7 pm.I probably need to cook more on the weekends and freeze it.Plus my youngest is 10 and my middle child is 14 ( Autistic) they are old enough to fix a bowl of cereal for themselves if worse comes to worse.

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited March 2013

Josie, just having young children, fighting cancer, having rads etc is enough to tire someone out! Get the doctor to do it. They should NOT fight you on this. It is in fact shameful for them to do so. I would stand there and say "I am not leaving until you sign this...walk a mile in my shoes (which I have to do if I can't park close enough) and THEN deny the request.

You are not asking for a permanent one. Only temporary. It is no skin off their nose to do this for you. Shame on them! Print out this thread if you need to. The SE's from radiation that are listed not only include exhaustion, it is one of the most common SE's!

If they won't do it, complain to someone (google for who you can complain to) in your state. Write your congress person if you have to. I know that I don't put up with any of that crap anymore. I will make some noise until they see it my way Wink

Do it!

• josie123
    edited March 2013

Thanks April I will .My RO is really a good doc I'm sure he will approve it.I mentioned it to my Mo the other day when I saw her and she told me to ask my Radiation oncologist.If nothing else I work with 7 great Docs and Im sure one of them would sign one for me.After all I fit in their last-minute bone densities no matter how many patients on my schedule.

• Waitingforthenextstep
    Waitingforthenextstep Member Posts: 124
    edited March 2013

josie123

That is outrageous that anyone would stand in the way of you getting a handicap tag.  I know here in NY you get the form from the DMV, and any doctor can fill out the reason.  My mother-in-law had one for years, no trouble getting it.  Like the other posters said, what's it to them if you get a tag or not?  You might want to bump that up to her supervisor.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited March 2013

Hi Everyone,

I have been off the boards for a long time now, but I am on again with a new worry. If you remember I was stage 1 without lymph node involvement. No chemo just radiation.Because I am an ex smoker my doctor had me do a ct scan in 2012 and it was negative. 6 months ago I had a chest ex-ray and 7 months ago I had mammos and it was all normal. My doctor had me do a ct scan this Wednesday. On Thurs he called me and told me there were several lung nodules in both lungs. He said several were small and 1 larger one. I was so frightened I forgot to ask him how many exactly and the exact size of the larger one. I did ask if it was smaller than 2 inches and he said yes. I am very frightened because the main cause of multiple lung nodules is metastic cancer, although it could also be scarring or an infection. My doctor was not encouraging. I am having a pet scan Monday Mar. 25( the soonest I could get in) and I won't get the results till Thursday March 28. I am hoping I can get an appointment for another mammo this week, although my doctor said that even if it were negative I could still have mets. I am trying to stay busy and strong, but this is scary. I hope everyone is doing well.

• josie123
    edited March 2013

Kate, I'm so sorry about your news .I will pray for you and unfortunately I don't have much advice but to try and stay busy if you can .I hope the best for you.

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Thank you very much Josie. I appreciate the support

• BUNKIE10
    edited March 2013

Kate - I am so sorry to hear your news but think positive if you can. I had nodules on my lungs too and it turned out to be scar tissue from my auto immune disease. There are many reasons for nodules. My BFFs mom had that and it was an infection.

Could they take an MRI?

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited March 2013

Kate-

I am certainly no expert but I am also Stage 1a, although grade2. I can tell you this week I had a conversation with my MO regarding mets in Stage 1. I am having back issues and after 2 MRIs my back DR now wants a lumbar puncture to see if what they see is inflammation or malignancy. Scary I know how you feel. Ok, my MO told me it would be extremely rare and chances would be very slim for someone with negative nodes, no sign of invasion and stage 1 to have mets. He didnt say it couldnt happen but he said he just doesnt see it happen. I have also searched endlessly on the net for cases such as ours and couldnt come up with anything. I didnt want to ask our higher stage sisters if any were dx at Stage 1, I have seen some with Stage 2 but looks to me like most are not ER PR + and HER -. I know nothing about nodules on the lungs, I have thyroid nodules that are B9.

I am sure there are many others that know alot more than me. Hopefully someone will come and give more statistical facts. I am sorry you have this worry. Take care and I hope the time passes quickly for you. Let us know what happens and if you find anything online of interest and I will do the same.

((HUGS)) Lemon

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Hi Bunkie,

When they found nodules on your lungs was it your first ct scan? On my first ct scan there were no nodules. This is a second ct scan 1 year later with findings of nodules. My doctor want to do a pet scan before other tests. Thank you so much for your support.

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Hi Lemon,

My doctor said thateven though I am stage 1 without lymph node involvement mets can still happen. On the stage 4 conversations I have seen others with stage one no lymph node involvement become stage 4 with mets. My doctor did say that there were other causes of multiple lung nodules like scarring or infection, but he did not sound encouraging at all. he said he was very concerned. Thank you so much for your support. I am trying to stay positive, but scary it is

• CarolynVM
    CarolynVM Member Posts: 9
    edited March 2013

Kate, I will hold you in my prayers.  See if you can find something you can do for others this week.  The only thing that helps me stop worrying is to do something for others.

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Hi Carolyn,

Thank you for your support. I will do that

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited March 2013

Kate- I will send prayer your way. I guess this is our reality and we need to be vigilant no matter the stage. My thoughts are with you.

• BUNKIE10
    edited March 2013

Kate,

Yes it was the second CT scan. There was another the year before and there was nothing there. I was about to have sinus surgery and they found them on my pre opt Xray. So they did the CT and sent me to a pulmonist. He suspected my lung autoimmune disease and he was right. I have Sarcoidosis that is caused by inflammation in the lungs. The nodules turned out to be granulomas and they caused scar tissue. You probably do not have what I do but wanted you to know that nodules can be anything....or nothing.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited March 2013

Kate, I've missed you sweetie, but this is definitely not the way I wanted to hear from you!  I just hate when you have to wait for tests and results...it's so hard.  I have read that smaller nodules are less likely to be cancer, and that more than half of nodules are not malignant.  I sure hope you fall into that group--I'll be thinking about you and sending you "benign" thoughts. (((((Hugs))))) susan

• LibraryLynn
    LibraryLynn Member Posts: 33
    edited March 2013

Josie,

I'm in WI,so it might be different in your state. I had no problem getting a disabled tag with my dobro diagnosis. I simply filled out the for and had my primary care physician sign it. I would recommend that in this case, as well.

Lynn

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited March 2013

Kate,

Geeze! I've been thinking you we're out enjoying and getting on with your life since we haven't seen you in awhile. I'm so sorry to hear about these test results. I'd be scared too. I do hope this is something other than more cancer and easily taken care of. Hold your head up this week and try to keep a positive attitude and we will all be sending B9 thoughts your way. Let us know as we'll be worried......

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Thanks so much for letting me know Bunkie it gives me hope. Thanks again for your support

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Hi Susan,

I have missed you too. Unfortunately the main cause of multiple nodules is metastic cancer. There is also the possibility of infection or scarring, and I am praying for that. I am in shock about this, because I have no symptoms, and a mammo 7 months ago was negative. As you know waiting is horrible, but I am resilient, and I have been trying to stay positive. Today I went to the pier to see the ocean, and it made me feel good. Thank you so very much for your support, and I hope you are feeling well

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Hi Library Lynn. Thank you for your support

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Hi Mostly Sew,

It is so nice to hear from you and other member of the old gang like Sab. I so much appreciate your support. I will let you know as soon as I know something. I am not able to take the pet scan until Mon. mar. 25th they are booked solid, and I won't know the results till Thurs. mar 28. I am hoping that I can get a mammo this week, but I am not sure if I can get an appointment this quickly. I asked my doctor if the mammo was negative would that mean I don't have metastic cancer, and she said know there is still the possibility that I would have it. Nonetheless it would be a relief if the mammo was negative. I am trying to stay positive, but as you know waiting is scary. This time even scarier than last. Originally I was waiting to see if my tumor was malignant. This time I am waiting to see if I have stage 4 cancer. I hope you are doing well

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited March 2013

Hi Kate,

Yes, I'm doing quite well, thanks for asking. The always present aches and pains which we all have and just the general process of aging (at least that's what I'm calling it!). I'm quite fortunate not to have any major SE' s from taking Arimidex for which I'm eternally thankful. So...how are the granddaughters? Have you been back to see the family this year? I sure hope you've gotten a fun trip in. And, keep up the trips to the ocean, it will be good for you to have some place to go for a respite this week and next while waiting. Somehow the waiting is always the worst isn't it.......

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Hi Mostlysew,

I am so glad that you are doing well. Thanks so much for asking me about my granddaughters. I have 4 and I also have one grandson. They are all adorable, and that's what keeps me staying positive. I am hoping to go to Chicago in August. My daughter and my second oldest granddaughter are going to Italy Mon. Mar. 25, the day I have my pet scan. They will be gone for a week. Thinking of them having a great time will help me get through my test and the ugly waiting period. I just came back from a trip to nashville Feb. 13, and that was a lot of fun. Unfortunately you are right about waiting it sucks. I told my kids I am too mean to die young, and that only the good die young, so I am trying to keep my sense of humor. Again thanks so much for your support. Support helps so much during an awful waiting period. Hugs, kate