Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited March 2013

(((Kate)))
    Hi - sooo good to see you here. 
    Am so darned sorry about this uncertainty and the waiting.  I can't even imagine...like you said, you once faced finding out if you had cancer.  It is a roller coaster of emotions.  Now, you are back to that place...and it must be very difficult.  I am glad that there is a chance that it is something else.  I hope you trust your doctors and that you will get the correct diagnosis.
    I don't want to see you go through this....you had such a time after your first surgery.  Have you had the final surgery yet?
    I can't tell you how to feel or think, but please let us offer positive thoughts and prayers for you while you wait. 
    Hugs,
    Joan

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited March 2013

Kate, I apologize if my info was faulty (dangers of internet research) I would never, ever want to mislead or to diminish what you are going through.  We are all waiting with you and I am praying for B-9 results.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited March 2013

Hi Joan,

Thank you so much for your support. No I have not had my final surgery yet. I had my last surgery in March, and I wanted to rest for a while, so I didn't do it yet. How are you? Love, Kate

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Hi Sab,

There is absolutely no need to apologize. I positively know that you meant well. Sometimes I hate email, because messages can get miscontrued which happened in this case. I so much appreciate your support. What have you been up to? Love, Kate

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

The hospital just called me and they had a cancellation for tomorrow at 9 am, so that is when I will have the pet scan. I will find out the results Friday at 10:40 am when I see my doctor. He was seeing patients today, and couldn't answer many questions. I did find out that the larger nodule is 2/3 of an inch or 17 mm. That is scary, because online it says that if a nodule is larger than 1/2 inch it more likely to be malignant.

• lemon68
    lemon68 Member Posts: 301
    edited March 2013

Thats good to hear Kate, so glad you could get in earlier! Praying for B9 results for you.

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Thank you so much lemon. I truly appreciate your support

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited March 2013

Dr Day today at Rads.Today my RO seemed pretty concerned about me and my symptoms of fatigue.I also told him about how his nurse denied my temp Handicap tag.He signed it with no problems.The nurse was ticked when he actually sent her back in to get my vitals.If silence would kill I'd be dead by now.She was probably just mad because he gave me the tag anyway.They don't take my vitals automatically unless they think something's wrong.We have to take vitals every time a patient is seen.I even heard her say to the doc right outside my room."yeah her vitals are in the door and are 100% normal

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited March 2013

Josie, I am so glad the doctor gave it to you! To hell with the nurse. She just got mad cause he did it for you. She should be in another profession if you ask me.

KateHudson, I am so sorry you are going through this. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers that whatever they saw is nothing but some scar tissue or something like that. Sometimes rads can scar the lung I heard..maybe it is that? I know you must be terrified right now but it really could be something totally unrelated! Hugs!!

Had the worst day ever at work today. I made the mistake of telling the HR person I have BC in case I need to file FMLA at some point which I highly doubt I will need but wanted to get the paperwork just in case. She is MAKING me file. I am so angry at this. I have plenty of paid time to cover the few absences I took plus I accrue more monthly. I don't want that clock to tick unless I actually NEED more time off than just appts here and there. What if rads does not go well and I need to be out then? Ugh...gonna talk to my DD tonight. She is a lawyer and will tell me my rights. This woman is really something. She is new and she is a total pain.

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Hi Josie so sorry you had a bad day.  Thank you so much for your support

• Waitingforthenextstep
    Waitingforthenextstep Member Posts: 124
    edited March 2013

Where I work the FMLA is actually a protection for the employees.  It guarantees you won't lose your job as long as the absences aren't exceeded.  I wouldn't think it is anything to worry about.  Many people try to get it at my job, this is in NY though.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited March 2013

Hi y'all

Yeah, Josie 1 crazy nurse 0! Glad you stood up for your rights. Sorry that it had to come to that but perhaps she will respect you in the future. We have enough going on without healthcare people with attitude...hope you are feeling better hydrate rest eat well and take good care of yourself.

April oh my FMLA...forced on you. DD will know your rights. Just what you did not want in the middle of healing & recouping ... crazy. Hope tomorrow is a better day at the office:)

KateHudson glad your appointment got moved up & will be praying for you. Waiting the scourge of BC...stay focus on the joys of today...

Today was #3. I see RO tomorrow have some questions for her but feeling good keeping skin moist doing some deep breathing & light yoga... can't wait to feel totally normal...my appt is mid-day so my next 6 wks are all based on that mid-day appt...breathe this will be over soon.

Sending positive calming healing thoughts to all (((hugs)))

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Hi rmlulu,

Thank you so much for your support

• josie123
    edited March 2013

April,

I was given those at my job also but they just told me just in case.Right now I'm about 15 hours in the neg they are paying me for 40hrs even though I'm not always there40 because if they don't want me to lose my benefits.Every paycheck I earn about 4 1/2 pto per pay check and we're paid bi weekly.I didn't fill anything out they told me to give one to my surgeon and my RO.You shouldn't have to fill them out thats your healthcare providers job.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited March 2013

Kate - That is good news that they moved it up so you can get it over with. Waiting is the worst. I will say a little prayer for you.

Josie - Good for you. Someone needs an attitude adjustment and if she keeps being a witch you should report her. You have enough to go through right now. I agree with April....she needs a different department. Sounds like Nurse Ratchet.

• josie123
    edited March 2013

Kate I'm so happy for you they moved for appt to tomorrow.Sorry I didn't see that post earlier .Good luck tomorrow.I'll be praying for good results.

• joan811
    edited March 2013

Hi,
    It sounds like there are a few here who could use a big hug...

Kate,extra hugs and prayers for you tomorrow. 
    Sending positive thoughts,
    Joan

• josie123
    edited March 2013

BUNKIE,

She is the only nurse in the Rads Center and anytime you have a problem and you doc isn't around she checks on you .So I guess I'm stuck with her.I felt kind of weak after Rads today.Anyone else experience this? I think I'm going to have to find more high protein for breakfast.That bowl of instant oatmeal just didn't do it for me.I bring plenty of snacks but not sure if they are all that good for me.No money to go to the store till the weekend so I will have to eat what I have.We have plenty of food .I just hope it's the right choices of food.I had about 20 grams of Protein today at work .I felt better and ate an additional amount tonight with dinner(pizza in the round) p as pampered chef recipe.It's kind of like stromboli with hamburger and pizza sauce and Mozzarella cheese wrapped up in croissants.Yum it's a family favorite.

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Thank you so much Bunkie. Your support means everything to me. I am sorry that I am not thinking about others needs tonight I am just too consumed with fear. I am drinking a humongous glass of chardonnay, but it is only taking a slight edge off.

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Thank you so much Josie. Your prayers mean everything to me

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Thank you so much Joan I always appreciate your support. I hope all is going well in your life, and that you are not working too hard. How is your son doing? Is he still in Chicago?

• gemini4
    gemini4 Member Posts: 320
    edited March 2013

katehudson, big hugs to you.  I'm glad you can get in sooner, and I really hope it is nothing.

josie, big hugs to you, too.  I hope you start feeling better!

xo

• josie123
    edited March 2013

Thanks Gemini!!Congrats on being almost done with Rads!!

• joan811
    edited March 2013

Kate, DS not doing great in Chicago,  but he's hanging in there.  He doesn't love his job - hours long and future uncertain.  He may come home next week end...I hope when the weather changes that his experience there will change. Every time I plan to go visit him, he comes back to NY for a visit.
    Thanks for asking.
    I am still working 2 long days a week and feeling more tired than usual. 
    I am planning to visit my DS#2 in CA when the semester is over.
     I go back to BS in April then RO after that.  I can't tell what is scar tissue, rads damage etc.  so I am glad to still be seeing them.
    I hope you enjoyed your visit to TN and that you will get to see your family again soon.
    Joan

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Thank you so much Gemini. I am high on chardonnay not feeling any pain lol. I appreciate your support

• gemini4
    gemini4 Member Posts: 320
    edited March 2013

Good for you, glad to hear you're feeling relaxed!  Don't forget to drink lots of water before bed so you don't have a headache in the morning.  Wink

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

HI JOAN,

I am sorry your son is not enjoying his job in Chicago. As you know the weather is ugly there this time of year, but spring is so nice. I hope his experiences are better then too. I am sorry that you are not feeling great. Hugs, kate

• ridergirl
    ridergirl Member Posts: 94
    edited March 2013

Hi Ladies,

I think this may be the first time i've posted on this thread, though I've been on the boards for a while. I had radiation to my hips and spine Feb 11 -15 (hips x1  spine x5) and didn't feel too bad after except for being stiff when I got up after sitting for a while, and increased pain in my spine.  But now here we are over a month later, and now the radiated area on my back is red, itchy, blistering and peeling.  Is it normal for this to happen this long after treatment?  I was expecting it then, but now it has taken me by surprise.  Anyone else have this happen?

• katehudson25
    edited March 2013

Thanks for letting me know Gemini. I will do that

• joan811
    edited March 2013

rider, i had skin damage and continued to peel for awhile after last tx...but i think it started right at the end of rads. I was surprised at the amount of peeling...do you think the damage was there but  maybe not too visible?  I hope you are not too uncomfortable from this.