Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.

Radiation recovery

Comments

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited April 2013

RunFree16, I used emu oil, which I purchased on Amazon also.  It worked better for me than anything.  The Aquafor was just too heavy and itchy for me.  The emu oil calmed my skin down very well and kept it moist for healing.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited April 2013

Kate - sorry I couldn't help myself...carrot cake uummmmm:). Don't let housekeeping mop us out with all the cake crumbs and wine bottles...we have more party here!

Sleep well...just luv slumber parties lol. Good Night Sweet Kate...

Cindy

Shhh she's trying to sleep ha:)))

• gigil
    edited April 2013

I wore my favorite PJ's and fuzzy slippers for this slumber party.   I think some of us have slipped out and are under Kate's pillow.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited April 2013

Hey Kate, you're sounding positively chipper this evening. That's great. Yes, that's a big accomplishment to become a CPA. And..what with surgery, cancer scares, biopsy's, a swollen leg, AND morphine.....I doubt any CPA or even physics wizard would get the math right! I of course just use google.....no math for me! Yes, I had lots of additional tissue removed with my surgery since cancer likes to hide in this density. Made a pretty big surgery out of it, but my boobs are so big it really only made that breast be a sort of more normal size. I've never had reduction on the other side, but probably should. It's just it would be another big surgery, and I really have no interest in It right now.

Keep up the good recovery speed, and thanks for sharing the carrot cake with me.......

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited April 2013

About creams.  I know that not everyone agrees, but I just want to raise a red (pink?) flag on parabens in our cosmetics and creams.  Lots of better lotions/creams, even ones recommended by my RO have parabens in them.  Parabens are chemical preservatives and have been found in breast tissue.  I'm not a medical professional, but I did read that they are endocrine disrupters that can contribute to cancer. I have given up my favorite creams, shampoos, etc. because of parabens, and I just want to put it out there for your consideration. Please, read labels on the creams you are buying and do your own research, and share your thoughts...

Calendula and aloe were my mainstays and worked fairly well for me during treatment.  I am using GUD by Burts Bees now as a body lotion, a little goes a long way.  Good luck.

• MostlySew
    edited April 2013

Gigil, I never tried the emu oil, but heard great things about it. And I'm with you on the aquaphor....I never liked that stuff!

Now, about your fuzzy slippers.....they keep tickling my feet

Oh, and I brought my own pillow!

Sleep tight everyone

• gigil
    edited April 2013

I always bring my own pillow!  Gotta have it.  I'll ditch the fuzzy slippers just for you Sew! Smile

• MostlySew
    edited April 2013

Thanks Gigil....I'll share that piece of carrot cake Kate gave me, but I did promise not to get any more crumbs in the pocket so we'll have to be careful. I guess Kate really is sleeping so that's great.....

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited April 2013

Mother Hen (Sew) thanks for the links! I need to know this stuff since the countdown has begun!

Kate, sleep tight with that belly full of carrot cake and wine Kiss

Off to work..yay for FRIDAY! I have a 3 day weekend cause I took Monday off for my Birthday. No doctor's appts, just a day for me and the hubby. We are going to lunch and for a nice ride. We will stop in some second hand shops and look for my missing Elvis plate...long story but suffice to say, I am missing July! LOL

Hugs to all. You are the BEST! xoxo

• Deyla7641
    Deyla7641 Member Posts: 53
    edited April 2013

Last day of rads for me today! Sitting in the waiting room now and can't wait for it to be over! Let the skin start healing!

Deyla

• gigil
    edited April 2013

Deyla7641 Congrats on your last day of rads! How well I remember the freedom I felt that day. I brought the radiation techs a treat and they hugged me goodbye. My sister and I went out for a special lunch. After that I went home for the best nap ever! Enjoy you're day knowing your daily trips are over. I am so happy for you.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited April 2013

Deyla many years ago my brother and SIL lived in Hammond Indiana.  He is long gone, but their daughter lives DeMotte and my ex SIL in Wakefield I believe.  I traveled there once for her wedding.  During tornado season which was interesting! 

Hey keep the baking requests up.  Kate I am so glad you are feeling so well and are so chipper.  Your positive attitute helps so much.  Yes, you are one strong lady.  I hope the carrot cake was perfect!  I made plenty for all of us.  Thinking of a healthy breakfast this morning though.  I really enjoyed getting to know you all better in Kate's pocket!  My DH was so patient and loving with me through rads, but we made a pact to kick cancer and all treatments out of the house on weekends when I was in rads.  We weren't even allowed to talk about it!  It was so nice not to have it a part of our life quite so constantly!

April I am glad you have a three day weekend.  You and your DH enjoy every minute of your special day.  Sometimes you just have to take a break from BC

• SAB
    edited April 2013

Deyla,

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited April 2013

Kate- thank God you are done with surgery and feeling safe again. I know what you mean about wanting to stay where you feel so good. We will have the party tonight. I have pie and cake and ice creme. My stomach has been acting up but I am going to eat it anyway.

I went to the PCP yesterday and complained about being dizzy, jittery, weak and off balanced. She suspects the thyroid AND steroid myopathy. I have been on them for 8 years at a low dose trying to control my Sarcoidosis. Well the downside is that they are taking all my muscle mass. I am too thin now and we need to start running tests to see what can be done to get me off them. She thought I was just laying in bed from the rads but when she found out I do the 2 flights of stairs in my home 6 times a day she was shocked. That is 120 steps a day or more. If it is not that then we have to look and see if I am getting the nutrients from my foods. I eat a lot and do not gain weight so.....on to the next set of issues. This too shall pass.

• MostlySew
    edited April 2013

Deyla.....Hurrah, hurrah, hurrah......doesn't the last day feel just so wonderful? 

Bunkie, geeze, you can't really catch a break either can you?  I do hope they can figure this out for you soon, with out too many of those nasty invasive tests!  A simple blood test always makes me happy......  Perhaps Janis should put you on her regular baking list as she does love to bake....that would add some weight for sure....

April, have a great weekend and birthday Monday.  Those are always so special........

• lizinmontreal
    lizinmontreal Member Posts: 5
    edited April 2013

Hi Kate...it's Liz from the other thread. I just wanted to pop in here (hope people won't mind) to tell you how happy I am for you that the tumor is out and hopefully you'll get good news soon.

In the mean time, rest and gather your strength.

• gigil
    edited April 2013

Janis, I wish I shared your gift of baking.  I quit doing that awhile back when I decided I needed to lose weight.  There is so much joy in all of it though, and I certainly do enjoy your virtual treats on here.  I need to start learning how to cook more vegetarian dishes.  I am working on that.  It is such a new way of cooking for me.  It is like starting from square one.  

Bunkie we haven't met, but it does certainly sound like you are having your challenges lately.  I hope you are able to get things figured out and that you are feeling better soon.  With spring here, it is time to be able to enjoy life.

Kate, I hope you are doing well today.  I am looking forward to hearing from you soon.  Thinking about you a lot.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited April 2013

Hi Gigil,

I  am uncomfortable this morning I have an urge to go to the restroom, but I still can't because of the catheter. My doctor will be here later this afternoon to see if the catheter will come out. He is also going to decide to send me home today, tomorrow or sunday. I am hoping to stay till Sunday.   Thanks so much for your support

• gigil
    edited April 2013

Here's hoping you can get that catheter out and that you will be feeling back to normal soon.  I hope they let you stay until Sunday, so you can be served meals and TLC.  You need and deserve that right now.  xoxo

• SAB
    edited April 2013

Bunkie, I hope you feel better soon.  I hate medical mysteries.

Kate, I hope you get to rest and relax for a couple of days, I'm sure it would be comforting.

GiGiL, I am doing a lot of vegetarian cooking too, and trying new stuff all the time.  It's been fun!  I must say though Janis, after a baking marathon for Passover (my once a year immersion baking) that I remember the zen that comes from baking.  Unfortunately, the zen turned out to weigh about 2 extra pounds!  I've been working it off since then, but I do admit that it was worth every bite.

• MostlySew
    edited April 2013

Sab, Oh Gosh, you sure created some pretty great zen Wink

• gigil
    edited April 2013

SAB there is a zen to baking.  I love that feeling.  It is worth the extra calories once in awhile.  I sometimes bake something, eat a little and freeze the rest.  

• Deyla7641
    Deyla7641 Member Posts: 53
    edited April 2013

Thank you ladies! It feels so good knowing I'm going to have my mornings back!

Deyla

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited April 2013

MostlySew, GigiL and others, thank you so much for the specific product recommendations!  That's news I can use.  I'd heard of emu oil but hadn't checked for it on Amazon.  We have Rite Aid but no Trader Joe's in my part of NH, would be a 90-minute drive.  I really appreciate the help.

SAB, my RO also said to watch out for parabens.  I haven't gotten on the purity train in all things, but I will start checking for that ingredient and avoid it as absolutely much as possible.

Deyla, big WOO HOO to YOU!  Here's to leisurely mornings and all done with rads!

Bunkie, so sorry about the unpleasant mystery symptoms.  Sounds like your PCP is taking it seriously.  Kate, I hope you get to stay put with no catheter and lots of sweet nurses.

• april485
    edited April 2013

This may be a crazy question, but how do you know if a lotion or shampoo or whatever has parabens? Does it list is as "paraben" on the label???

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi rmlulu,

Finally I have a little bit of good news. My catheter came out today. Thank God it was so uncomfortable. I just used the potty for the first time, and I was so relieved, no blood, no pain, just ordinary urine YEAH! Janis can we have some carrot cake to celebrate? Sorry ladies, but I want to gorge myself.  I will be leaving the hospital either tomorrow or Sunday. Hugs, Kate

• katehudson25
    edited April 2013

Hi Gigil,

Come back for the slumber party tonight. I have a little bit of good news. The uncomfortable catheter finally came out, and I was able to urinate normally. No blood or pain YEAH. I hate hospital gown's so I am wearing my cute pj's to the party. Janis bring on the carrot cake with butter cream frostin gso I can gorge myself. Gigil you are a doll. Thanks so much for your support. I am either leaving the hospital tomorrow or Sunday. Hugs, Kate

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited April 2013

Yeah Kate!

So glad the cath&foley are gone:). Your a big girl now, but we want the party to continue so more cake balls! more wine! lets do our roots and nails...lets put sparkles on our toes...sorry no fuzzie slippers. Hope we can extend til Sunday with a late check out after brunch...ha...lol!

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• april485
    edited April 2013

Kate, that is wonderful news sweetie. Like RMlulu said, let's partay until Sunday...straight through. Remember those days? When you could actually stay awake until the wee hours and drink more than a glass of wine without wanting to go to bed and nod out? LOL...that was a long time ago for me my friends. Tongue Out

Huge hugs Katie girl. You are doing great!!!!Kiss