Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited May 2013

Hi Gigil,

I am so saddened that your beautiful grandson is in a wheel chair, and has Spinal Muscular Atrophy. So glad he is high functioning, and the school employees love him. God bless your daughter for being such a good Mom. Children come first. My problems are nothing when children have such serious issues.

Ok this could be a stupid question, but I've really never dealt with severe constipation before. Are Milk of Magnesia and Magcitrate both used for constipation? I would have to clear it with my doctor. Remember too that my constipation is different than normal constipation. My bladder cancer is causing constipation, and so is chemo. Nothing will clear mine out in a couple of hours. Even dulcolax! I had a number of bowel movements, but I still wasn't all cleared out. My doctor said that eventually chemo will help the constipation from my cancer. It will take more time. Same with my swollen leg. Chemo has madie it worse. My dr. said eventually chemo will resolve it.

Take care Gigil I am terribly sorry that you have so much on your plate. So very lovely of you to post for me when you are dealing with so many issues of your own. Doesn't surprise me, because you have always been so sweet to me.

xoxo,

Kate 

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited May 2013

Kate, they are both used for constipation. You are absolutely right though, you should clear it with your doctor. Hope you sleep well tonight Kate. Xoxo

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Gigil,

Un fortunately I slept 2 hours and can't fall back asleep. I will ask my doctor about it today. Thanks for the suggestion. I so hope you have a peaceful day.

xoxo,

Kate

• april485
    april485 Member Posts: 1,983
    edited May 2013

I am way behind in posting/reading so just suffice to say that I am thinking of all of you who are experiencing a rough time.

Janis, praying for Will. I have had 5 Golden Retrievers in my life. They are the best dogs ever. So smart and so sweet. Hope that your grand-doggy pulls through completely.

Kate, hope that you are sleeping right now and that your constipation and leg pain is resolved.

Sew, high five on the mammo!

Gigil, and Sab, thinking of you as you deal with children/grandchildren with special needs. Never easy. Our children are our lives and the most important.

As for me, I am experiencing a bit of brain fog and fatigue still, but think it is getting better. I am still tired though which I understand will resolve on its own sooner or later.

Heading to the shower before work. I am doing full days (boss wanted me to do half days for a while if I did not feel up to it) and just taking my lunch and the end of the day (leaving at 3 instead of 4) to give me that one extra hour at home.

My breast is a bit "tan" and the nipple hurts still, but other than that, the burning was minimal, at least so far. It has been over a week since I finished my rads and I don't think it will get worse in terms of the "burning" on my breast so in terms of this, the shorter protocol has been very good to me. Fatigue was off the charts for a few days, but now getting a tiny bit better. I also push myself too much. For example, I should only be seeing about 3 people a day and I am cramming in 5 in my schedule PLUS trying to get paperwork done. I should cry uncle on the appts at least.

So, as far as the clinical trial, side effects were not too bad for me except for being tired. I think that is partly my fault.

Ok, that is about it. Sorry if I can't really do individual shout outs. The thread really moved fast since I last hung out here.

As for the rest, my brain is not working well enough to remember what else is going on. Does not bode well for my job now, does it? LOL

PS, we think my kitty may be diabetic now...he is 8 and has lost about 4 lbs and drinks constantly and is eating waaaay more than he was before. He is seeing the vet at 10 this morning. Dh is bringing him. Just what we need now. When it rains it pours. Please pray for my Simon. He is the sweetest angel and he is a rescue. We have had him for two years and he was in the shelter for a long time before we took him home. Why can't life ever be fair? (ok, that was a stupid question but that is how I am feeling today)

Hugs to all

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited May 2013

GiGil, thanks for posting about your grandson, your daughter must be a great mom. It helps to know there are friends out there who understand.

Janis, I must have missed your post, glad the grans dog is doing better.

Kate, hoping for an easy treatment for u today, and more relief from your constipation and leg pain.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Suzannah thank you so much for your continual support.

April I am sorry that you feel fatigued, but I am glad the shorter protocol worked well for you.

I will pray for your cat Simon, and hope he is not diabetic

My leg pain and constipation are ok right now. I just emailed my doctor and asked if he could set up a stomach ex ray after my chemo treatment.

I got up early, so I will start my day at the donut shop, and then leave for chemo at 8:30 am. I am hoping to be home by 2

xoxo,

Kate

• brooksidevt
    brooksidevt Member Posts: 1,432
    edited May 2013

Janis, if your knee is not better this morning, please call one of your docs--any one--MO, ortho, PCP will all respond, and say you are concerned about the potential of developing a blood clot from being more or less immobile and would like an MRI today.  That way, when you see your ortho tomorrow, he will already have the report and will have a treatment plan or referral ready when you see him.  Please do not think that just because your appointment is about your injection that that is all he will want to hear.  The very last thing an ortho wants to hear is that he has been seeing a woman with a knee injury and ignoring her symptoms. 

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited May 2013

Gosh ladies this is a fast moving thread and I love it. If I have not piped in individually to each one I am sorry. Just catching up. I hope the ones gong through rads are doing great. I will read and post later.

Gigil - I posted a long one about being alone and then it disappeared. Will write later.

Allergies today are off the chart. The maple tree in my front yard and the pine in my back are blooming. Had my air on just to clear the house air from pollen. Got a new filter yesterday. Ugh.

So now that it is spring finally I have to go get a ton of ant bait. Every spring they try to invade my home all over the place and since I can  not use Orkin or any toxic chemicals I have to bait like crazy. We do spray outside but they get me anyway. Yesterday I had one run across my bed. MY bed!!!

Kate - thank God you are better. Good luck today with chemo.

I decided to wear my earrings today. To some that may be not such a big deal but for me it is. Since I moved to Mi from Ca in 04 I have not been myself it seems. With all the caretaking for my parents, my autoimmune disease and now BC I just stopped doing any make up or jewlery. Well I am back. Last week I started to use under eye cover again. Yesterday I started wearing my grandmas ring and today earrings. Baby steps.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Bunkie,

Sorry about your allergies. So glad you are going to start being girlie again with make up and jewelry. Baby steps are good.

Hugs,

Kate

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2013

Bunkie, now that's a great way to start your new life without BC.  I've been considering buying something other than levis to wear but can't quite make the effort....oh well, maybe I'll get my nails done.  I haven't done that in 2 years.  I did find and actually put on a lipstick last week though.  I think it's Kate and her girlie girl rubbing off on us....or Run Free's new dresses.  Enjoy your earrings.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Mostly sew,

Glad your finding you are beginning to refind your girlie. wearing lipstick is a start. As said before baby steps are good. Glad my girlie-girl is rubbing off on you, and hope runfree can wear her cute dresses soon.

Hugs,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Sew,

Geez my last post was a confusion. Just want to say glad you started to wear lipstick. If my girlie-girl is rubbing off on you I love it. I will also love it when runfree shows off in her new girlie girl dresses.

xoxo,

Me

• MostlySew
    edited May 2013

No problem Kate, I understood Wink  I will admit I'm still in levis today, without lipstick, but thinking about it.  Perhaps I'll start with combing my hair Foot in Mouth  Hope your treatment today is short and uneventfull and that you're home in a jiffy....  (hugs)

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Levis sound comfy, add lipstick, or go get your nails done for a treat.

I am at chemo now, waiting to be called for the blood draw. Thank you I hope it is unevenful and quick too. Although I did email my doctor to see if he wants me to get a stomach exray. I told him to schedule it right after chemo if he wants me to have it. I haven't heard back yet.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Just had my blood draw. Now it takes close to an hour to get the results, and then I will have chemo. I am praying I am not anemic, which is a side effect of chemo.

I forgot to say hugs to you sew. Whenever you get your nails post a phot.o I probably mentioned that I did my fingernails and toe nails in blue. My daughter-in-law bought me a beautiful bottle of blue Essie.

xoxo,

Kate

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited May 2013

Kate I hope it';s easy and quick on these "short" days.

April, Wow, I am so optimistic about your trial.  Wouldn't it be wonderful if one week protocol became the standard?  Even with the fatigue, it seems a great alternative to slogging over to the rad office for 6 weeks. Thank you for offering yourself for this trial! Don't worry too much about kitty...we had a diabetic dog once who lived long and happy with injections that are easy to give and didn't seem to bother him at all.

Joan, I hope finals/grading goes well for you.  Along with getting ready to travel you must be hella busy.  Pace yourself!

Tata ladies...have to get my multigrain, banana, walnut and bittersweet chocolate muffins out of the oven.  Might have to try one!

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

t is much sadder in the waiting area today. Last time I was here people looked a little healthier. Today I saw a couple of patients who look like they are dying. Dear God I feel so bad for them. I am trying extra hard to stay positive. It's been 50 minutes, but my blood work isn't back yet

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Sab,

Tell me how I cAN BE AS DISCIPLINED AS YOU. aLL THAT HIKING, AND EATING THE RIGHT FOODS ETC. i AM JEALOUS \\HUGS,

KATE

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited May 2013

Bunkie try flour for the ants.  Regular old flour.  If they have hills or nests pile flour up on the hills or nests.  The ants eat them and they swell up and die apparently.  You can only kill the visible ones and may take a few times but can't hurt to try, and it is certainly non toxic.

Brookside my knee felt a bit better this morning, but once I got active it started bothering me again.  I am not worried about blood clots because I am up and mobile.  i tried to do some cleaning and laundry and that was enough.  Now it is very sore.  I do have my brace on.  I will talk to him tomorrow at the hospital.  Hoping he can do something soon. 

April I agree, Golden's are such awesome dogs.  They have the sweetest souls.  I have two, both rescues.  In fact Sampson was a Mother's Day gift to me 7 years ago today.  It is the same day they got Will.  Thanks for putting him in your prayers!  He may go home today.  My son is taking two days off work to stay with him. 

I am so bad about naming each and every person, but I do appreciate all the thoughts and prayers for Will.  He is a child to Adam and Jen and they are awesome parents.  Adam called yesterday to let me know his red blood count is better but not normal.  He even ate, always a good sign.  He and Jen spent some time at the vet visiting him yesterday.  Adam said they even got to take him outside for two short walks.  IV pole and all!  Adam said he is loaded with staples. Poor guy.  He had double TPLO surgery a few years ago.  This boy was a neglest case and Adam and Jen have spent thousands of dollars helping all his medical problems.  He has severe allergies and used to have chronic ear infections.  Grain free food helped a lot with that.

Kate, I hope that today goes well for you.  Waiting is always difficult.  Let's hope this time you get less SE's as the chemo works its magic.  I bet your body will get used to the treatments and they will get easier as you head down this road.  Feel good please!  Hopefully the constipation will improve too.  You have been brave and held your head high...cancer has no business messing with you!  :)  Sending lots of healing hugs your way.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Janis,

So sorry your knee is bothering you. So glad Will might get to go home today.

Your post brought tears to my eyes because what you said about me was so lovely

I am typing this to you while I am getting chemo. I have a new nurse today, and she is a doll. She told me that this 1 hour treatment is a breeze when you compare it to the 5 hour treatment I had last week. For constipation she told me to try colace and senna. I was dieting before I got bladder cancer. Guess what most people lose weight on chemo, and I gained 2 and a half pounds. My nurse said not to worry about dieting, and I guess I won't. I love to eat, and this is a good excuse to indulge. I can't wait for the food cart to come along in about 30 minutes.

I am feeling good today. Thank God no stomach cramps or gas pains. My attitude is positive. I bring a framed photo to chemo with me, and this week I brought the photo of my daughter, and 2 oldest granddaughters that I posted here. The photos of my family help me to stay positive, and all of the support posts I get from you, and my other bc sisters keeps me feeling and thinking positive too.

When you said that I have been brave, and held my head high I almost broke down in real tears( I don't want to cry here). What a wonderful thing for you to say.

Thanks for your support Janis, you are a doll

Hugs,

Kate

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited May 2013

Hi Kate.  I think you asked about cranberry?  Here is an exerpt, I feel bad I forgot the name of the site, maye fitbody.com?  

The Health Benefits of Cranberry Juice

Cranberry juice is well known as a natural treatment for bladder and urinary tract infections. Not only does cranberry juice kill the bacteria that cause the infections directly, it also makes the internal environment of the bladder more acidic. This can help to prevent bacterial infections before they start by making the bladder a hostile environment for bacteria.

Cranberries are a source of vitamin C, as well as manganese and other nutrients. Cranberries are also a source of different kinds of antioxidants, including polyphenols, which may help to prevent cancer and heart disease, as well as boost the immune system. Cranberry juice also has components that can fight against tooth decay, reversing the formation of plaque on teeth by reducing the amounts of the bacteria which cause plaque.

I think you have to be careful not to use too much cranberry juice though, because it can cause other problems, like kidney stones. The jury is still out on that info. I use straight unsweetened cranberry juice, cut in half with water and then sweetened with stevia.  It's actually a treat that way. I hope chemo went well for you today!

• MostlySew
    edited May 2013

Hi Kate,

I'm sorry the people in chemo today looked ill.  that is always hard.  I prefer to think, though, that they are fighters just like you, and while they may not look great, I'm hoping they have a strong spirit like you do and will end up coming thru chemo with flying colors.  And, perhaps, your positive outlook will boost them along.  Glad you're liking your nurses.  They are the front line for you right now and their support always helps.  So....treatment #2 just about done, keep it up girl, and hold that princess warrior coat close.......  (hugs) 

• MostlySew
    edited May 2013

Sab, you eat the best treats.  I'm loving the sound of the muffins, especially with the bittersweet chocolate.  Every girl needs a bit of dark chocolate in her life..

Janis, good news about Will.  Hope he's doing even better today.  Don't overdo that knee.....washing can wait, unless you don't have clean undies for tomorrow that is Surprised

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

Kate - I have to admit that looking at your picture I missed some of that girlie stuff. Haha. You have inspired me.

Sew - Oh I still have my boyfriend jeans on. The ones with the torn Knee. It was funny because my friend that drove me to the beauty shop to get my hair trimmed and washed said I was too old for torn knee jeans. When I lived in Ca I never paid much attention to that stuff about age. Stayed away from the teen stuff and avoided the old lady stuff. Well I guess 60 is no longer the in between. I had to laugh. She told me I need to dress age appropriate. I was thinking gee what is that? I have on a cute t shirt and I am not naked. I forgot I am old now??? I had fun wearing my earrings and ring...yup it is time for a retail trip.What else can I get in trouble for wearing?

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Sab,

Thanks so much about the info for cranberry juice.

Chemo is over. It was only 30 minutes and not an hour. It was a breeze in comparison to last week. The nurse said I should have very minimal side effects. Of course I still have to worry about the cancer side effects, my swollen leg, and constipation, but everything is ok right now.

xoxo,

kate

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

Kate - yeah I am waiting for RunFrees dresses too. She is out shopping agin maybe. I wish get inspired by her to actually run.

• justmejanis
    edited May 2013

Kate,

Thank you for your sweet post.  I try so hard to be supportive and encouraging to everyone.  Sometimes people slip through the cracks and I forget.  So unintentional.  I really do admire the way you have handled this cancer.  While I understand that this kind of news can be devastating, you have not allowed self pity to consume you.  Please understand that everyone is going to have a bad day now and then, and that is okay.  My sister is an RN and she commented many times that I had never broken down.  She told me it is okay to grieve for your cancer.  Grieve, and move forward.  I could not cry, i did not for some time.  When we moved here from Wyoming we gave away our two pet llamas to a wonderful family.  They kept in touch and sent photos and updates.  One day I got an e-mail to tell me Dolly had passed away peacefully.  I knew she was old, and in a great home, but that sent me into a very long cry.  I think basically I had held it in for so long that it all came out with the news of her passing.  Please don't try to be too tough Kate.  You know you are among friends here, and if you do have a meltdown, you can talk about it.  We all would understand.  I am glad that you can hold your heat high and continue to be brave and strong.  I have a very good feeling that you will be okay.  :)  Big hugs, always.

• justmejanis
    edited May 2013

Bunkie your post cracked me up.  My favorite jeans are old and threadbare.  The knee is not quite out yet but it won't be long.  I am not a frilly girl.  I never have been.  Jeans and t-shirts for me.  I do wear a little makeup but have not even had earrings on in ages.  All the surgeries they had to come out and I have never put them back in.  I have a necklace I love so much and always wore it.  My cat Pistol loves to jump up on my back and lie across my shoulders.  Sometimes I have no idea he is behind me so it is a bit of a scare.  Last year he did it and his back leg broke the chain.  I can't afford to get it fixed.  So for now I am jewelry free.

Sew I am waiting to hear from Adam about any Will update.  Nothing so far.  I will call him later if I don't hear anything.  Thinking if they did come home Adam could be napping.  He has not slept well since Saturday when he got sick.

I am going for my neck injection tomorrow.  I have to be at the surgery center at noon.  I should tell the doctor just to stick that stuff into my knee!  I do plan on asking what I should do.  I cannot rest for four weeks!  DH is getting the veggie garden area prepped for planting and I get to watch.  I want to help!  Bad knee!

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

April - I had a dog years ago that was diabetic. He got a shot every morning. My dad and I hooked up a sling to hoist him off his legs and gave it to him. He was a cock a poo but did not like to sit still so we invented this contraption. He actually liked it. Outside of having a cube of sugar handy every now and then when he looked a bit off he was fine...for years.

Sab - Do cranberry pills work as well?

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited May 2013

Kate, what did your doctor day about the X-ray? Glad today went well!

Janis, hope there is good nes about Will. Also, good luck with your neck injection tomorrow, and what's going on with your knee!

I also am a jean wearer, need some dresses!