Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2013

Bunkie...Geesh,,,,,you mean I'm old now?  I think it's a generational thing.  My 70 yr old friends do their hair and wear slacks and pretty tops, my younger friends look just as good.  I think it's the flower child in me at 65 that sort of never left the flowers behind.  Next you'll say we have to give up our Birkenstocks, lol.  The best I can usually do at girlie is really great socks......but then I'm afraid socks wouldn't go with these girly girl outfits.  I'm afraid there might not be any help for me.......

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited May 2013

Bunkie, I don't have a clue about cranberry pills.  I started drinking this stuff because I thought I needed it, and it has no added sugar.  I'm trying to learn as I go along.  My SIL is a great source for me, she has been passionate about nutrition for a long time.  

You know, it is a weird age thing...transitioning from "young" clothes to "appropriate" clothes.  I still am not sure what that means, but that didn't stop me from blogging about it multiple times!

http://www.homegroaning.blogspot.com/2012/05/what-are-you-wearing.html

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited May 2013

Sew, fellow flower child here.  You are not alone.  I have never worn slacks or pretty blouses, but my mom always did and looked great.  In never saw my mom wear jeans in her life.  That is my staple.  Jeans and tees will work for me.  I have always been a bit of a neat freak, and my hands seem to be in water constantly.  I have never even had a manicure.  Okay, no more gasping!  I had a pedicure once, Mother's Day gift from my son.  I loved it I have to admit! 

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited May 2013

Flower child here too.  I live in Jeans.  I have been trying to work some chinos (rolled bottoms) into my wardrobe.  I always feel like jeans and a real nice looking tshirt or top is looking good!  I wear bracelets, earrings and plenty of rings though.  My grandmother always had beautiful hands and she always wore rings and bracelets.  I guess I am following suit.  I usually have Merrell walking shoes on, but in the summer I will wear khaki shorts and sandals.  I HATE getting all dressed up.  I am miserable every minute until I can get back into my comfy clothes.  Once in awhile I do my own nails and put on some polish.  I wear make up most days, but only natural looking.  I do think Kate has influenced us all in a good way to be more girlie.  I was thinking the day she went to get her hair done before her appointment with the doctor, that I needed to spiff it up a little.  You have a point there Kate.  I think we were all thrown off our game a little by this bc stuff.  Time to get fixed up a little.  

Kate, I surely do hope today is going well for you.  It sounds like your chemo went quickly thank goodness.  Janis, any news on that knee?  

As for cranberry, I swear by it.  That and d-mannose, which is the sugar from cranberries made into a sugar and tasteless. You can add it to water.  Those little bacteria in the bladder can't resist it and clamp onto it instead of the lining.  If you drink lots of water, the bacteria is carried right away.  

Those muffins are sounding so good to me.  I might have to break out the baking pans.

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited May 2013

Sew - Yup we are old!!! You are too funny about the birkis. I have 20 pair and I am not giving up those either. I was never very frilly but I had a knack for putting jeans with a frilly top, nice belt and some silver and turquoise jewelry. I have hundreds of pieces of that type from all my travels to Santa Fe NM. Well my friend also hated my Kokopeli earrings so what can a girl do?

I remember when I was in my 30s and one of the ladies I worked with was really pretty, wore cute jeans and tops and was about 65. She was thin and fit and she had this outrageous curly grey hair that was just immaculate. Total class and such a hoot to be around. I remember thinking when I get that old I want to look like that. My mom used to come to Cali when she was in her 70s and still take some of my comfy clothes home with her. My mom was beautiful, sophisticated and always looked her best. I guess if you make the effort who cares if you are dressing like a 70 year old.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited May 2013

Hi y'all!

Wow such a busy thread! Entertain for a few days and too much is happening!

So know I'm gonna miss someone, some dog, some knee, some dress, some lip stick, some fatigue, some muffins, some jeans, and some too much fun:)))

Kate - so glad that today's 1 hr chemo was only 30 min and over! Yippee! Hope you wore your magic coat. Love the pic of your dd&gds...yes it would make it all better. I've recorded short videos of family laughing that makes heart smile. This weekend got a very special one with hubby and 2 yr old gs! Then one with everyone with spoons on their noses...we searched for hours for spoons...25 people here and someone put spoons wrapped in towel in a drawer...we all search for hours...no spoons no cereal - finally my hubby dumps the towel...spoons breakfast! Try fiber one cereal with warm tea in morning works everyday for me. Hope your leg improves and everyday post chemo is better and better.

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited May 2013

Hi Mostly Sew,

I pray they are fighters too. One man was young and it broke my heart. I hope some of my positive vibes reached them.

My princess warrior coat has worked wonders. My family, and all of my wonderful bc sisters formed an army and warded off nausea. I am so blessed. I was terrified about nausea, and I am not experiencing it. I had chemo today, and right now I am eating a vegetable bagel sandwhich which includes onions and jalepenos. I am feeling good enough to eat jalepenos YEAH.

Another nice post by you. Thank you.

Hugs,

Kate

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited May 2013

OK, I've got a cheering section to wear one of my fun dresses, so I will wear one to work tomorrow--which is bolder than I even thought I'd do!  It's going to be a warm day, about 80, and we probably won't see that again for a while.  I am a jeans or sweats girl too, tomboy really, but years ago I had a job teaching in a girls' prep school and I wore dresses almost every day and got better at it.  I started to like the fact that often with a dress, there's minimal waistband pressure.  I have a pot belly even at my lowest weight--which I am NOT at right now!--and I can't stand tight things around my waist.  I will try to post a picture here of me in my dress tomorrow, but I make no promises.  Thanks for the encouragement!

Kate, I am thrilled for you that you've gotten some relief from your constipation and that your chemo today flew by!  It gives me hope in case I need chemo one day, which of course I hope I don't, but you never know. 

Janis, I'm so sorry about your knee, and I'm hoping for great news about Will when you do hear. 

So many other things going on, tough challenges for so many on this forum.  You would think BC would put us at our quota, but I guess it doesn't work that way.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Bunkie, I am so glad I inspired your girlie-girl. You go girl! Thanks so much for your support

Hi Janis, Another nice post by you. I am sure that I will have a meltdown one day. Bound to happen. When I do I will come here, because I feel safe, and I know you and my other bc sisters will let me vent, and offer loving words of support. Thanks so much for your support!

Hugs,

kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Janis,

I hope there is good news about Will too. I hope your neck injection is easy on you, and you get relief for your knee

Suzanna my doctor thought i did not need the x-ray. He thought I had a bad reaction to luctalose, and I think so too. I like to wear jeans too, but of course with make up, and sometime frilly tops. I do like to wear a lot of skirts.

Hugs,

kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Gigil,

I am glad I influenced your girlie-girl. It is about doing something for you. Chemo really was a breeze. It lasted 30 minutes, and I feel no side effects. I am blessed.

Cindy, of course I wore my magic princess warrior coat, and that is why I have not experienced nausea, and all side effects are minimal. Love your spoons story. videos of family laughing is the best.

Thank you both for your support. Hugs,

kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Yeah Runfree!

I can't wait to see the photo of you wearing a fun dress to work. You go girl!

God forbid that you will ever need chemo. Keep any negative thoughts like that out of your pretty head. If you get a negative thought just replace it with a loving thought about a family member or how darn cute you will look in that dress.

Hugs,

Kate

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited May 2013

Kate, u are the most upbeat, resilient person I know. I agree with RunFree.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

OMG Suzannah you make me feel so good! Thank you so much!

Hugs,

Kate

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Kate your advice about replacing a negative thought with a loving thought about a family member really speaks to me. I am going to use that when anxiety and panic haunt me. There you are inspiring the rest of us and facing one of the biggest challenges of your life with such a "can do" attitude. You are truly amazing, lady.

SAB, DH and I went on a nice little hike in the sunshine today and I am determined to do it again tomorrow. We hiked down to the Mississippi River and back. For dinner tonight. I cooked vegetarian with fruit and yogurt for dessert. You are inspiring too!

Janis, how are you doing? Hope I didn't miss an update.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited May 2013

Checking in...don't yell at me for being up late again...
    I love everyone here...so much fun, so supportive, and so honest...I just can't keep up sometimes!
    Kate, the waiting room is just the worst some days.  I started bringing my phone with me when I was waiting for rads.  I could sense if someone would speak to me or not...and if they were facing a mountain, I would put their names in my phone to remember them with prayers.  Not much else to do except listen.  The cancer center is one place where patients should feel accepted.  Sometimes (most times) people on the outside just can't find the right words and may avoid the person with cancer.  It gets lonely...
    But you had a better than expected day and I'm glad for you!  We can't ask for much more some days....
    I agree with bringing a focal point - a photo, videos...I did that and it made me happy.
    Thank you all for the advice about the UTI.  I felt so awful yesterday...I had unused Cipro so I took it...and will continue...and it worked.  Adding another drug to my body made me useless at work this morning.  I was so spacey...could not focus...
    I LOVE cranberry anything!  SAB I love the idea of the natural juice and I have just started using Stevia in my coffee. And the chews sound good, too.  I am going to make a trip to Whole Foods and stock up. 
    Yes, I am crazy-busy...tomorrow my bathroom gets ripped out.  I have another downstairs, which is fine for DH and myself.  But DD#3 is staying over Saturday with her dh and 2 little girls.  It should be an adventure since 3 bedrooms are upstairs and the one bath down...plus DD #2 is coming for the day so that adds 3 more...but hey, I grew up in a house with 5 of us and one bath.  And one phone.  And no privacy.  We survived!!!
    I like to dress nicely for work even though I don't have to.  I usually wear a jacket every day, even in the summer because the AC is freezing.  I like to wear nice jeans with a jacket.  My biggest problem is shoes...I can't wait for it to warm so I can wear sandals and flip flops...I cannot wear heels any more and at 5'1" I surely need to.  My feet hurt :-(  after a long work day;   but I never wore Birks!
    I just spent an hour emptying out my bath vanity - ha ha the guy is going to demo it, and there I am cleaning everything....
    Oops I am all over the map here, and soon I will have an entire page to myself!

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited May 2013

April, I am glad you are feeling better.  You sound very much like myself...pushing and working no matter the circumstance...and I really like my job...and I am grateful every single day that I am healthy enough to work.  I do not think you will have further skin problems.  As you heal inside, things do change and there can be tenderness and lumpiness. 
    A word about the A.I.s for those who are starting -- when I heard about this option, I felt very good that I had an active defense to reduce the recurrence rate.  I decided I was "in" for the long term, even though some question whether it works.  I kept my breast and did not do chemo, so I agreed to this.  The SEs surprised me...I was never an aches and pain person.  I have one area (thumbs, palms) where it doesn't go away, but I live with it just fine.  I really love what (I think) Janis said about visualizing the A.I. kicking the heck out of BC.  There is a price, but it may be worth it.
    Nite all, and have a good day tomorrow. 

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Gigil,

Thank you so much for the compliment. I think you are an amazing lady too, You are facing so many challenges and posting lovely and intelligent posts for everyone.

Hugs,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Gigil,

I fogot to mention that I am so glad that you and dh had a nice hike, and that you cooked a nice healthy dinner. I think Sab is amazing too. Besides being a sweetheart she is so motivated and disciplined.

xoxo,

kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Joan,

How nice regarding patients in waiting rooms facing a mountain, and you would remember them with prayers. Mostly everyone brings someone with them to chemo. I am one of the few that come alone.( Don't feel alone though bringing photos of family, and having family, friends, and bc sisters support)so I don't really get a chance to talk to the other patients. When I see one who I think is facing a mountain I say a prayer for them.

Sorry you are going to be facing chaos regarding getting your bathroom fixed. If anyone can handle chaos it is you with the so many hats that you wear.

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Gigil,

I also forgot to mention that I am so glad that you will use my idea about replacing a negative thought with a positive one such as replacing the negative thought with a loving thought of a family member when you feel anxious, depressed or feel panicked. Last week when I had my 5 hour chemo treatment there were times that I had negative thoughts and was feeling scared. Did you see the photo I posted maybe two weeks ago of my granddaughter Riley and her dog Roxie.? I think it is such a comforting photo. Well anyway, anytime I would feel negativity I would say Riley and Roxie out loud. That jarred my mind off of the negativity immediately and instead I was thinking about my beautiful granddaughter and her dog. It's like how can I be feeling negative when I have this beautiful granddaughter that I love dearly and thinking about her joy for life,enthuisiasm, and how much she loves her dog. . It works for me, and I so much hope it works for you.

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited May 2013

I can't remember who had the uti-was it you joan? How are you feeling now?

Good luck with the bathroom reno, so stressful, but worth it.

• SAB
    edited May 2013

Honestly there is not a single one of you gals who don't inspire me. 

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited May 2013

Well ladies I am in bed mostly today. Went down the basement this morning with my handyman to look at the glued wall he did after the flood. Apparently all that glue is still off gassing and I am really sensitive. Started to feel faint and got a big ole migraine. Made sure the windows were open down there even tho they are small and closed it up. Then I came up to the room above that I seldom use and closed it off too with open windows. The floor is hardwood so with no carpet barrier the toxins just float right up. I remember when we had to repair the kitchen after a roof leak. Took 6 mos before I could really go in there and cook etc. I just do what I need to and let it air out.

Joan - Good luck with the bathroom remodel. Mine needs it badly but am dealing with the basement water issue for now. I did a semi upgrade last year with paint, new toilet and some flooring. I was really proud till I actually looked at the layout and decided it needs a gut job to help me sell down the road.

Runfree - Yes you have inspired me to get a dress. I did some on line shopping last night and ordered a maxi type dress. It has my favorite color turquoise in it so we will see. Where I am going to wear it I have no idea. I still have a lot of flowey skirts and jackets from my working days. When I worked for 32 years at ATT we dressed really nice for most of the week and got to do jeans on Friday. I guess when I retired I let all that go.

Kate - So glad you are doing well with the chemo. Gosh you are a strong woman and I am taking my clues from you. If you can get through this all with a positive attitude then I can perk up a bit in spite of my issues. Nothing compared to yours. I think my biggest problem is being alone all the time with no one to bounce things off of. When you are alone you think the worst stuff sometimes. I will be glad when my boyfriend get s here form Ca. Not till summer we think.

Janis - I hope Will is doing better. I finally went back and read some posts. Poor baby. I am also sending good vibes to you about the knee. I think today is your MRI. Lets hope it is nothing icky. 

• SAB
    edited May 2013

I think we should have a group mani-pedi day in honor of our new girlie-ness. Kate, what day do you go?

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Bunkie,

Gosh I am so sad that you feel faint and have migraine issues from this glue situation. That sucks, not being able to be comfortable in your own home. Yes being alone makes you feel the worst things sometimes. How to try and overcome that is to go out as much as possible, so you don't think about it, and to replace those negative thought with positive ones. I don't know what kind of childhood you had, but sometimes bad parenting can give children those negative thoughts that stick with them till they are adults. So for instance if you had a bad mom when you were little, and you were thinking the worst today you could just say Mom I won't let you do that to me anymore. I am a beautiful good child not the bad child that you told me I am. So in other words stop it Mom or stop it whoever gave you those negative thoughts I am going to fight to be happy in spite of you. I hope that made sense. You deserve to be happy. So glad your boyfriend may be able to be with you soon.

Hugs,

kate

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Kate, I used to do the. Same when I went in for rads. I didn't interact much with the other patients, but I would say a prayer for someone if they seemed to need it. My younger sister often came with me. She was an angel to me, and she would get someone in the waiting area to talk to her without even trying. She not only brightened my days, but she spread comfort around to others who needed it.

I saw the picture of your granddaughter and her dog. She is just beautiful, and it is such a sweet picture. I am sure that picture brings a smile to your heart every time. I have three granddaughters and three grandsons and my 42 year old son and his wife surprised themselves and me with the news they are expecting a baby! One more darling on the way! I thought we were done welcoming babies into our family. Yay!

Bunkie I react to plumbers glue. Glad you are getting things taken care of. Sorry for the fumes though. I hear you loudly about being alone so much and having no one to bounce ideas off. It can lead to some black hole thinking. I have always loved maxi dresses. I am pretty short, but I love wearing them anyway.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Sab,

I love it a group mani-pedi day. I usually go on Saturday. I hope you ladies do it and post photos. I think Janis mentioned that she has had few pedi's in her life. I so hope she joins because a pedi can really make you feel so good. I would love it if you ladies did it and posted photos. With all the great nail colors out now maybe someone can be brave enough to wear teal blue or mint green. Saturday is very busy at the nail salons so maybe a Wedneday or Thursday would be better.

Great idea A feel good day for bc sisters,

xoxo,

Kate

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Kate, you really have things figured out for keeping your head in a good place. I have found that too, about forcing yourself to go out each day. I wish I had a place like your donut shop to go to. I did recently join a women's group. They get together and discuss books by Wayne Dyer, Deepok Chopra and others. They are also going to do some group activities like qigong on the beach, and some Reiki sharing sessions, etc. I found them on Meetup.com. Has anyone heard of that website. You can look for people in your area with similar interests to get together with. There are some great resources there.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Gigil,

Mazel Tov! ( Congratulations) That is great news that you are expecting a new grandbaby. I am thrilled for you. Do they know the sex? I know you will have such a wonderful time when the baby is here. Shopping for a newborn is the best. I hope this brings you so much pleasure that you deserve.

How nice that you said prayers for the other rads patients and your sister spreading comfort to those that needed it,. You are wonderful and you have such a wonderful family.

xoxo,

Kate