Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited May 2013

Runfree,

You look darling in your dress. You look so happy wearing it too. It made me feel so good.

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Sab I agree Blue toe nails for Runfree would be perfect.

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited May 2013

Thanks for the nice compliments!  I looked at the picture and realized that several of you might think, "What this lady needs is a pedi!"  I'm growing my hair out and it's in that awkward floppy phase.  Doesn't help that I refuse to lift a finger beyond washing and combing it.  Kate, your dedication to your great hair is very impressive!

Bunkie--I went to a food coop recently with a friend who has gone gluten free and "nightshade free"--no tomatoes, potatoes, and some other things.  We went to the protein powder section and I was just amazed, and this wasn't an especially big store.  There was protein powder made from all kinds of things!  He likes the kind made from peas, but there was rice protein and several others.  Most came in multiple flavors.  I am not sure if hummus would work for you, though.  I would check the fat content or you can make your own.  It would really bug me to have to give up so many kinds of food, especially having once been able to eat everything as you could.  My friend had to give up those things because he has psoriatic arthritis, but his new diet has made a big difference in how he feels and he's lost 25 lbs. without trying.  If you had some happy benefits it would be easier to get interested in it, but it sounds as though you haven't really found what you can eat to feel good.  I hope you can get that figured out soon!

Bobisil, I was also wondering if you had rads high up near your collarbone?

MostlySew, I was so reliant on Ambien during rads!  Even though I wasn't driving myself, I didn't want to fall asleep in the car when someone else was driving me, and I couldn't afford to come home and take a big nap before work either.  I take 5 mg of Ambien (actually the generic, Zolpidem, about $4 for 30) on Sunday, Monday, and Tuesday nights.  By Wednesday I'm back in the weekday sleep pattern and can usually do without it.  One great thing about Ambien is that you can really tailor the dose to your needs.  Sometimes I'll wake up at 2 am and can't get back to sleep, so I cut, break, or even bite a pill in half.  I've even taken 1/4 of a pill.  For a long time, 1/2 did the job for me, but I've taken it enough over the past 4 years that my tolerance has inched up.  Still, a 5 mg pill 3x/week is not an addiction.  I resisted taking any sleep meds for 45 years and finally had had enough.  I've been to a sleep doctor and she thought my issues were just behavioral, but I'm not willing to get up at 5:30 on weekends (as I do on weekdays) and stop reading in bed and the other more extreme advice.  She was not troubled by my taking Ambien a few nights a week.  I've tried some over the counter meds and they leave me groggy, and melatonin isn't reliable.  The only other thing I keep meaning to try is meditating.  My mind races like crazy, especially with any transition which is why I take a pill on Sunday nights.  Not everyone does well with Ambien and it does require a prescription, which is a pain.  But it is my best friend.

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2013

Run free, I agree. I was surprised at the lack of grogginess. I also take a half or a whole depending upon the time of night.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Runfree

Funny you should

just mention my hair. Guess who I just got off the phone with, my friend and hairdresser Joanna. I am having my hair flat ironed for my mothers day lunch with kelly. I think I will go to the promenade  Saturday to buy a new summer skirt. My leg is so badly swollen I want to hide it in a long skirt. In The promeanade there is a kiosk that sells skirts. I might even buy two of them. You can bargain with the lady there, and if I buy two I will get a better deal. Skirts will be cool for me for the summer, and with this swollen leg there is no way I even can wear capris.

Then May 21 I am getting hair extensions. I have been wearing extensions for two years now, because my hair has thinned from medication etc . The girlwho does my extensions Laura is a gorgeous sweetheart. She is beautiful 26, and has a 5 month old baby,. Joanna my regular hairdresser and Laura will come to my house to do my hair. First Joanna will color and cut and style. Then Laura will put in the extensions. Then Joanna cuts the extensions and restyles. All this girlie girl stuff. I love it. If I look half way decent I feel good. if I look yucky I feel yucky.

Again I love the way you look in your dress. It flows it's sexy and carefree.

xoxo,

Kate

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited May 2013

Run Free the dress is perfect and you look fantastic in it.  Good choice, it really works on you.

I rely on Ambien too.  I rarely get more than four hours sleep when taking it though. and I take 10 mg.  I have cut them in half before and the 5 usually works well most of the time.  I have to take it on a totally empty stomach or it doesn't work at all. 

Tonight I am feeling kind of worn out.  Just not quite right all day.  I assume it was from the injection.  I need a goodnight sleep then I should be back to normal tomorrow.  I just feel kind of puny today.  :)

Have a great evening ladies.  I hope everyone sleeps well!

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Janis sorry you are feeling worn out. I hope you get a good night's sleep. Sweet dreams.

I made a new friend today. Since I am lonely that is great. There is this real attractive woman who lives on my block and is a runner. When we see each other we smile and say hi, but that is about it.I haven't pursued more because she is around my daughter's age. Today she came in the donut shop and we talked for over an hour. She asked for my phone number and email. Of course I said nothing about my illness. She told me that I am so youthful and attract younger people. A great compliment.

xoxo.

Kate 

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited May 2013

Kate it is always wonderful to meet a new friend.  Good for you!!  My niece called tonight and she just finished her last chemo treatment today.  She feels pretty relieved about it.  She will be sleepy for two days or so.  She has always been a good sleeper.  I told her tonight that her sleeping for hours used to be such an annoyance, but it is not a blessing.  She just sleeps until she feels better and more energetic.  

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Gigil,

Thank God that your niece finished her last chemo treatment. I am glad she will rest. Sorry she has to do rads, and I pray this God awful aggravation will all be over for her soon. She needs to have enjoyment in her life.

I am watching American Idol. Round 1 is just over. The judges are really ticking me off. I thought none of them did that well round 1. Sure enough they praised Angie and candace and put down Kree once again. I am going to vote my hands off for Kree.

xoxo,

me

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

OMG Kree just sang her heart out. I am crying it was that touching. I pray she is in the finale

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited May 2013

Kate, I don't want to incur your wrath but I dipped in to Idol (I'm not a regular anymore) and thought Candice was really something special.  I haven't like anyone since Lambert.  Did you like him?

Gigi-Congrats to your niece for finishing chemo.  What a relief it must be for her.

Janis, I hope you get some rest and wake up feeling better.  

• gigil
    edited May 2013

SAB I was crazy about Lambert.  I was really touched by the home visits and I had a few tears when both Candice and Kree visited home.  Kree had kind of a sad story with no parents, and Candice's family seemed so humble and genuinely proud of their daughter  All three of them are so talented.  It is sad they can't all three win.  You know they will all get recording contracts.  

I am so pleased for my niece.  She sounded very tired tonight  I think it was her great relief to finally be done.  You know how that is.  It feels like running against the wind and suddenly having the wind stop.  Her wonderful husband was cooking her dinner.  He is such a gem.

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited May 2013

Can't catch up here...looks like I'm talking to west-coasters since it's 1 AM in the east. I just finished watching Idol on DVR.  OMG it was one of the best shows...I was completely blown away by Candace - her last song was timeless, every note perfect, and one of my favorites.  She seems to be a very humble and grateful person. Kree was amazing tonight...but I don't understand why the judges are talking to her like she's leaving...and they gave her the "goodbye" song....maddening. If I close my eyes, I can appreciate Angie's versatile voice...but I can't really watch her.  I don't see a real person under there.  She was so uncomfortable when her friends were showing emotion.  Sometimes though, getting voted off A.I. just gets the career going sooner. Yup, I was an Adam Lambert fan...he was so entertaining and a perfectionist on A.I. OK - I said it before...there is an American Idol thread and they also comment on the Voice  while it's on live.  DD called me today and asked me what I want for MD...I said that's easy - a mani and pedi at my favorite place, and some lavender for the garden. My bathtub is ripped out and a new shower is being built.  It looks good already.  The workers are great and helpful and patient...letting me approve everything as they do it.  I found out the contractor's wife has Stage IV BC with mets to bone. I couldn't believe it...DH told me.  I hope I get to meet her some day.

Well, west-coasters, I'm going to bed....have to get up soon.

Janis, hope you are feeling better.  Gigi, love your photo.  RunFree, love the photo...the background is so pretty and goes perfectly!

Nite all...
    Joan

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Joan, I am in the Midwest and still up!!  Perfect gifts for MD.  I so love lavender and we are all going for mani's and pedi's so that is perfect.   Renovation is so painful, but so worth it in the end.  It will be exciting to see what happens on AI.  How does it work for final 3?  Is there a results show tomorrow?  Well, gotta hit the sheets.  Time to rest this weary head.  Nighty night! Kiss

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Sab,

We have different taste. No, I did not care for Adam Lambert. Did I like Candace's version of Somewhere, yes I did. I was disgusated.  The show wants a Angie, Candace Finale so they give Candace a gorgeous song to sing like somewhere and they give Kree a flim flam song. It was round 2 that Kree was so exceptional in . When she sang I was crying real tears, because it so moved me. I rarely cry, because I hold back my tears. i couldn't this time. Sure Kree is probably going home, but that will suck. I've been an idol fan from the git go and I love Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood, Jennifer Hudson etc. I don't care for most of the men the young girls voted in.

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Joan,

American Idol producers want a Candace, Angie finale. So they praise both of them to death and give them good songs. They give Kree crap songs to sing and rip her up. I think Candace is ok, but then again if she was so good why would the judges knock her off on the first and second time she tried to be on idol. Neither Candace or Angie's home town visits brought any emotion for me. Kree's on the other hand was so touching. The closing song on idol was staged. They give Candace a breathtaking song like Somewhere, and have her sing last. They give Kree a terrible song to sing, and stick her in the middle. I think maybe they've had too many country winners and not enough black winners. I think the finale should be Candace, Kree, but I am afraid it will be Angie, Candace. If Kree is knocked off I won't watch the finale. I am so paaaionate about this, because I think kree has a beautiful voice, and her story is so moving.

xoxo,

kate 

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited May 2013

Kate, Janis, RunFree, mostly sew, since b/c I rely on 1mg of Ativan to sleep. I usually get from4 4-6 hours per night. My mom died 4monthw before I was diagnosed, so I was having a very hard time sleeping. I know you have all been going through multiple streesors as well.

Kate, I'm so happy u made a new friend, and that u shared the info with us. Ad your hair extensions will be beautiful.

Joan, hoping for a speedy renovation for you. I hate having people working in my house, even nice ones.

• justmejanis
    edited May 2013

Thanks Kate I slept pretty well.  How nice you made a new friend.  That is terrific.  I hope you continue to have good days.

Joan, I am feeling pretty good.  For some reason that injection seemed to wipe me out.  No idea why but I am feeling lots more perky this morning.

Bobisil welocme, I am sorry you are having the swallowing problem.  If your mouth is dry try Biotin.  I bought the small spray can I can carry in my purse.  I have terrible dry mouth from the meds I take. Maybe that will help.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Suzannah,

Only 4-6 hours of sleep Oh my gosh that isn't enough. Have you asked your doctor for something else? Mostly Sew says that Ambien is good. I was taking Trasodone, but since bladder cancer I have been taking 1 mg of Ativan and if I wake up during the night I take an additional 1 mg. I have not been sleeping well on Ativan. I only get 4-6 hours with it too. Last night I went back to Trasodone, and I slept 7 hours

xoxo.

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Janis,

I am glad you slept well. God only know that you need your rest, and pleasurable days with enjoyment.

Love,

Kate

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited May 2013

I stopped watching Idol regularly when they brought in Niki. She bothers me but I do watch it from time to time. I like Kree also. I was a Lambert fan and Carrie Underwood. Kelly Clarkston also. I liked Jennifer Hudson back then but now am kind of sick of her. That sounds mean but I am just bombarded by her everywhere it seems. I get that way with artists when I see too much of them.

I sleep really well when I first go to sleep. Like a rock till about 6 hours later. Then I can not get that last hour or two.

RunFree - Thanks for all that info. We do have a small health food store here. Might check out. Pea protein sounds good to me but I am allergic to Whey. It has lactose. Have to search for an alternative. I am determined to start making smoothies if my stomach can handle it. I used to drink one everyday before all this health stuff started. That gastro better have some answers.

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Bunkie, since I have stopped drinking milk, I can't handle whey protein either.  The rice sits well with me.  I have a smoothie every morning.  Even tho milk bothers me, I can do yogurt, so I use yogurt, coconut milk, some fresh or frozen fruit, and I add a pinch of turmeric and a pinch of pepper.  You can't taste the turmeric or the pepper, but I have read research that turmeric is such a strong anti-cancer spice and pepper helps us to use it better.  I found it very palatable.  You find it in a lot of dishes and in mustard.  It also soothes the stomach in small quantities.  Lots of people take mustard on a soda cracker to get rid of indigestion.  

I have had heartburn and GERD for so many years I just accept it as part of my life now.  I don't eat anything past 6 o'clock at night.  I have a smoothie for breakfast, a larger lunch with protein and veggies and fruit and for dinner I will often just have a cup of soup or a smart choice meal early on, and an apple or some other fresh fruit an hour later.  My noon meal is my big meal.  If I do that and walk every day I can keep the tummy happy.  I usually chew one Gaviscon at bedtime and sleep on two pillows.  If I have to eat later because of a family function I keep it simple and sleep on three pillows.  I stay up later that night though and try to be active cleaning the house before bed.  I only dare have one cup of coffee a day in the morning.  I have recently started drinking half caff since I am such a jittery person in the first place.

I've found the perfect combination for me for sleep this past week.  I take half of a low dose xanax early evening, then at bedtime I take half a meclizine tablet.  Meclizine is an antihistamine.  Lots of people use Benadryl, but Benadryl makes me feel weird.  The Meclizine allows me six straight hours of sleep which is a life saver for me.  Since my bc diagnosis, I wake frequently and have panic attacks each time I wake.  I have used self hypnosis CD's to help with that during the night.  Recently I have been having trouble with allergies and stumbled on the fact that the antihistamine at bedtime really helps on both counts.  I find small amounts of any medication work on me.  Anyone else like that?  If I took a whole xanax tablet I would feel out of it.

As for Idol, Kate I think you are right that the producers manipulate things.  If memory serves me Lambert didn't win either.  Truth is they want the exposure from Idol but not the Idol recording contract.  That has been the kiss of death for lots of artists.  Maybe we should be glad for Kree if she doesn't win.  That way she will get a better recording contract and be free of the poor Idol promotion of their winners.  Jennifer Hudson finished fourth and she is way more successful than a lot of the winners.

What is everyone doing for Mother's Day?  I know Kate is having a lovely luncheon and she is getting all prettied up for it.  I am going to dinner with one son on Friday, brunch with another on Saturday.  On Sunday I am driving to my daughter's farm for a prime rib dinner.  My DH took the day off work, so it will be nice to have him there.  Two years ago on the Friday before Mother's Day I got the call telling me I had bc.  I try not to associate the two, but we always have the Komen Walk here in Minneapolis on Mother's Day weekend.  I should go into the woods and turn off the TV.  Maybe that would help.  

• gigil
    edited May 2013

PS Bunkie, I do not like Niki Minaj either.  She makes me crazy.  When she talks I find myself staring at her hair, and she repeats herself so much and doesn't make much sense.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited May 2013

Niki Minaj is such a weird individual.  My girlfriend and I imitate her when we're giving each other opinions.  We crack ourselves up.  I agree that the show does manipulate things for their own ends.

Gigi I use that turmeric/pepper combination in almost everything, but smoothies!? I have to try it.  Last night I ended up roasting white sweet potatoes and peppers with turmeric and pepper.  

No plans for Mom's Day.  

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Gigil,

So sorry that you are having so many problems from Heartburn etc. Sorry also that you have to change your eating habits etc. to fit around a schedule to take care of it.

You are right about Idol. Some of the better singers didn't win and have big recording contracts. Still I want to see Kree in the finale, but don't think she will make it.

Prime rib dinner with your daughter sounds wonderful for mothers day. Enjoy!

Love,

Kate

• gigil
    edited May 2013

MMMM!  Love sweet potatoes.  I will try that one, SAB.  I also put the turmeric into quiche or scrambled eggs.  It adds!

• gigil
    edited May 2013

SAB is you are going to imitate Niki you will need to add some heavy fake lashes to the look.

• justmejanis
    edited May 2013

Kate thanks for the warm wishes.  I feel good today but that damn knee is giving me fits.  I really need to get a handle on this soon.  Making me crazy.  I am icing it right now.  It is so sore.

Gigil I wouldn't pursue this heartburn thing anymore, but nothing hels and it just gets worse and worse.  It never used to bother me but now it affects my sleep as I have bad reflux.  I do sleep with several pillows propped up, the minute I lie flat I have reflux.  I am on the highest end of the spectrum as fas as meds and still it is not helping.  My primary just told me it is time for the endoscopy.  I agree.  One week from today I go.  I have changed my diet, no spicy or acidic foods and now I don't eat anything after 4PM.  Still no changes or improvement.

I am hoping lots of you ladies have a wonderful Mother's Day celebration.  We have no plans here, but my DH said he wants to make me dinner.  That is so sweet.  It will be something very simple, but from the heart.  :)

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

I can't stand Niki either. I don't like Mariah Carey as a judge either. She is similar to Paula who basically only said nice things to the performers. I love Keith Urban. Not as much for his commentary, but I think he is so sexy. He can oh baby me anytime.

xoxo,

Kate

• gigil
    edited May 2013

I love the way Keith Urban says baby!!  ROWR!!

Janis, I feel your pain.  Taking all the meds you can and having it not help sucks!!   I haven't been able to lie flat for years.  It is a family trait to have GERD.  We all have it - short waisted and just a tendency toward it.  I hate it.  My mom tried to have surgery at age 80 to improve hers.  Her stomach was incarcerated above her diaphragm around her esophagus.  We didn't track down the problem until she started to be iron deficient.  We found out she had a small bleeding ulcer and this hiatal hernia that slid into her chest.  The problem with her situation, she was 80 and they tried to do her surgery laparoscopically.  It was too serious a situation for that type of surgery, and that is where the trouble started.   They have had a lot more success with these surgeries in the past several years.