Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited May 2013

Hi Gigil,

I am so glad you are enjoying meetup. Yes I heard of them and researched them, and was going to try, but then I got sick. When I feel up to it I might go to one of their activities. So glad you brought it up because this could be good for Bunkie too, since she is lonely.

Hugs,

Kate

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited May 2013

Gigi-Congrats!  You and Kate are the youngest looking Grandmas!  You must have been 12 when you had kids Smile I have a single male freind who loves to do things through meetup.  He is not "looking for love" but is happy to find a nice group of people with similar interests to share an afternoon. His experiences have been very good so far.

Bunkie, Sorry you have to run from the fumes.  I hope the weather stays nice and you get everything aired out quickly! Summer and boyfriend will be here soon.

Kate, Saturday might be too busy (plus dh and dd are pretty demanding on weekends) but I will definitely get some weird color on my toes this week in your honor!

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited May 2013

Kate - Thanks for the feedback. Nope I had a super childhood with wonderful parents. I was an only child and I am adopted. That could play a role but otherwise I am pretty normal in that area. I think my stuff all started when I was diagnosed with my autoimmune disease. Shocked me because I was never really sick. I was told by a DR that it could kill me so I started to read everything I could about it. Took my mind to a place where I thought I was on the verge of dying. Whenever I would get a flare I thought I was about to drop off the earth. After moving home to care for my parents I got past that thinking but watching them get sick and pass away was really stressful. I was just getting over that grief when I got diagnosed with BC. The struggle brought back so much anxiety that I had to face again. I do better when someone is around for awhile or I get out more. Winter is not a season I like and it keeps me inside alone too much. With spring and summer I will get out more and do better. Thanks for your thoughts on the subject. Looks like a really pretty day today. Lets see if I can get that 20 minutes of sun and bring up my Vit D.

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited May 2013

GigiL, congratulations on the new grandbaby.  How exciting.  I have one grandson, Wesley.  He will be 12 this year.  Times flies.  We are far away and I haven't seen him in two years.  I bet he is so tall now.  He is such a doll and I miss him so much.

SAB...I think you are an inspiration.  I wish I could change my diet so drastically and exercise so much more.  I am going to the surgical center in about an hour for my neck injection.  I am going to talk to my doctor about a steroid injection for my knee.  Being crippled is not working for me!

Kate, I love that picture of your granddaughter and her dog.  As you know I am a huge fan of pets, they are cherished in our family.  Your GD looks so happy and it is a touching picture.  I think it was the perfect choice to help you through your chemo.  Keep those happy thoughts coming Kate.  You are really strong and being so positive through all this.  Kudos to you!  Hugs too.

Bunkie I am so sorry about the fumes and resulting migraine.  I know how miserable that is.  I feel badly that you are alone.  It makes it hard.  All my life I have moved and never stayed in one place too long.  I never would have dreamed if you told me three years ago we would move from Cheyenne.  After seven years there it was home.  I was within 150 miles of everyone, both sons, grandson, sister and friends.  This was a difficult move for me.  I yearn to be back home as I get older.  Stick with us Bunkie, you are NEVER alone as long as we are here!  You just come and vent or talk if that helps.  We have all hit some rough spots and friends help so much.  I hope you feel better very soon.  HUGS to you, take care.

Hugs and love to everyone, of course!  :)

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

GiGil - I hate that you react too but glad it is not just me. I have had to use all green products in this house so I can live here but every now and then there is no green product to replace something toxic. So is the case with some glues, caulks etc. Darn it.

I hear you about a maxi dress. I have a picture of me back in the 70s I think with a maxi coat and a maxi skirt. I guess if you live long enough all things come back around. Dresses if they are long enough and styled right can hide a host of things. For me it is a thick middle although I am really thin and long bony legs. If I can hide that stuff I am a happy camper.

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

Janis - Thanks for the kind words. Yes I love this group. Better than any others I was in for sure.

I grew up in Lansing but moved for 22 years to Pasadena area in Ca. It was home to me although I had no real family out there. I felt comfortable out there and had a circle of good friends. I was busy. The weather was great and then my parents needed me. I do not regret coming home because I need to spend that time but after I got here I noticed that all the friends I had back when I was younger were gone or busy with their lives. That has made me be alone and living in a house instead of an apt or condo is sort of lonely at times. I am better now that there is sun and I can get out. Just going to Target or the store can help.

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited May 2013

GiGil, congratulations!

Bunkie, sorry about the glue situation and the migraine, sounds awful

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Sab,

Thank you for the compliment. Please post a photo when you get your weird color mani-pedi. Enjoy!

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Bunkie,

So sorry about your autoimmune disease. So sorry how stressful it was was when your parents died.Glad you will go out more. Hope you went out and enjoyed the sun today.

xoxo,

Kate

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

Kate - I went out today. Got some fresh air. doing better. Got away from the fumes.

Did you say you were on Facebook?

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Janis,

I so hope your neck injection went well. I hope your doctor suggests a remedy for your knee. It is time you get relief.

Thanks for the compliments. I adore Riley( granddaughter) and Roxie( her dog)

Thank you also for your continued support.

xoxo,

joyce

• MostlySew
    MostlySew Member Posts: 1,311
    edited May 2013

Sab, I'm in on the mani-pedi.....might even splurge and get Kate's mint green. That's not too weird, right? Could go for blue toes, they'd match my birki sandals. Good plan, right Kate? Maybe next week or early the following? Anyone else in? Bunkie, Gigil? Cindy, or Brookside? April and Run Free I think it's a bit too soon after your rads for polish it you could go and get a foot wax, just no polish. Janis, want to splurge? Joan, got 30 minutes in your busy schedule? Anyone else?

• joan811
    joan811 Member Posts: 1,980
    edited May 2013

Hi all, such a busy thread!  I love it...just wish I had more time in the beginning of the week. 
    Good news - the bath guy started today and he will only demolish the tub and start building a new shower only...and he will leave the sink and bowl until after my kids leave.  Yay!

Janis, how is your knee?  Are you getting around OK? 

Kate, I have a grandaughter named Riley, and she is just a eyeful of sweetness but very spunky!  I just love her to pieces...
    You are right about speaking back to those that hurt us or suppressed us even if they are no longer in our lives.  Good advice...we have to draw on our own strengths and not look back. 
    Kate, how did you figure me out after such a short time...you are right that I thrive on chaos...but as I get older, it really isn't working as well!!

SAB, I like mani-pedi day....maybe it should be "week" ...
    Sew, are you going to join in?  I didn't go for years and when I got my first real manicure as an adult, I cried.  I hate to sit still but I love the fact that I am taking time for myself.  My grandaughters (7 and 5) have had more manis than I have ever had.  My daughters do things with their kids that I never did with mine.

Bunkie, so sorry you are dealing with the fumes...and cleaning up after the water is a lot of work and can be so irritating.  You will know when it's time to do your bath...I've been planning for at least ten years. 

Susannah, thanks for asking...I am doing great.  I think I caught the uti very early. 
    I hope you are doing well.  I don't know about you, but I think it is still pretty c-o-l-d on Long Island...I am still wearing sweaters and jackets every day.  (Although the students are wearing shorts and flip flops even if it's 50 degrees.)

It is supposed to rain overnight, and I am happy that the trees and shrubs we planted will get a proper soaking.  I think the deer have nibbled the new forsythia so I have to do another liquid fence spray (made from predator urine).  It smells awful the first day and am afraid that my neighbors will be smelling it...they are already bummed that we can see into their yard and pool now.

Have a good night - am going to grade papers and clean 2 guest rooms.   
    J

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited May 2013

Channelling Kate and Bunkie!  I wore my dress!  SO many eyebrows went up at work.  People I've known for years realized they've never seen me in a dress.  I do really like dresses, but I will generally only wear them to a party or special event because I am fierce about always being comfortable.  But this dress is very comfortable and easy and so pretty.  I got my husband to take a picture too that I don't mind too much.  However, I've been unable to upload it to Facebook for the purposes of putting it on here, and I can't seem to do it any other way either.  My FB has been acting up so I will try again tomorrow. 

Kate, any symptoms from your chemo today?  I'm hoping for smooth sailing, like last week only with no constipation or anything unpleasant.

Bunkie, that's awful about your reaction to the fumes.  All you're trying to do is take care of your house, for crying out loud!  I hope the fumes fly away fast and you can be more comfy.

GiGiL, great news about your new grandchild! 

It makes me really sad to hear about people being lonely.  I moved all the time as a kid and I was shy to begin with, so loneliness is a big one for me, and it's why the daily driver routine was so powerful for me during radiation.  I think it's so important to have structured activities that create regular contact with others, and it's awfully hard on a marriage or relationship to make it the prime social contact.  Going to lunch with my work friends is the best part of my day.  That makes me sound like a middle schooler but so be it.  I guess I'm making up for all those shy years.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited May 2013

I am in! Definitely. A mani-pedi sounds like pure heaven, and I am thinking of polish with gold flecks. Bunkie good for you getting out some. I went to see my dad today. I hear you about the pain of taking care of aging parents. My mom died in November, and my dad is just lost without her. Today besides taking care of his banking, he wanted to talk to me about what he wants their joint headstone to look like and say. He got all teary talking about it. I tried to keep the moment from being so sad. On my way home, I wondered if I should have done that. I did tell him he could have it all just the way he wants. My second son sang The Beatles song Let it Be at my mom's funeral and played the piano. It meant the world to Dad. He wants the same song when he passes and the phrase "Let it Be" on the headstone. It means the world to him that my son inherited his musical talent. It is so hard! He has a pre-cancerous blood condition. We don't know how long we have him. He is the most endearing person I have ever known. It will be hard to lose him!

• gigil
    edited May 2013

RunFree looking forward to seeing that picture. I worked for a long time at a University counseling and advising medical students. I loved that job and to this day that is what I miss most - staff meetings and departmental lunches! I miss having colleagues! There are so many of us dealing with loneliness now!

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited May 2013

Hi y'all

I'm in...been sportin Fuchsia Warrior on my toes for rads! DYI but can hardly wait for a professional's touch:)

I love wearing dresses...like my glams&hees. At home I'm a gym clothes or bathing suit hangin on the lake/beach...barefoot lo maintenance girl:))

Kate so glad your tx is going well:). Must be all the pocket buddy (((hugs)))

Bunkie - love Cyrstal Lake near Frankfurt/Honor MI cherry time soon:)

GiGil - congrats maxi dress...granny glasses:) for the new baby:)

SAB - reading anti cancer making lifestyle changes...doin vegan 2-3X a week...hubby is hitting drive thrus ha:)

Getting ready to watch the Voice! Today I passed my 1st med exam since BC mamo- NO skin cancer...yeah, butt naked exam...red girl, hairy armpit, so so shaved legs. Just skin tags to zap off, but I think they can just hang out a tad longer! Ha

Ok, free boobing time:)))

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• MostlySew
    edited May 2013

Gigil, what a difficult day for you. These kinds of moments with our parents are precious and depressing all at the same time. I think you handled it perfectly. He wanted to talk about his wishes, but i'm sure he also didn't want to loose his dignity, and you allowed him that. I think you should feel good, I know he does.... Glad you're in on our girlie day.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited May 2013

Too much to comment on everyone but here goes my try.

BUNKIE I'm glad you got out today it's good for you and keeps you from getting too depressed.

Kate sounds like you had a great day good for you.

Gigil, congrats on the new grandchild!!

If I missed someone I'm sorry.

I had a pretty rotten day.It all started with my son walking out to get on the bus and not catching the door I was in the basement And I come up to see the dog running lose.She's impossible to catch but we finally did.I discovered last night a bump on my right breast I add squeezed it and a little discharge came out but not from top from the base.I freaked a little because you know there is that one BC that they can mistake for a blemish.

I called the radiation center this am.Of course the lovely nurse Gina said "well it doesn't sound like anything we would have done"But you can come by and I'll take a look.Thanks but no thanks.I called my surgeon.They got me in at4:15 it was a sebaceous cyst he thinks.He numbed it and lanced it.Ouch but he said it should drain and said I didn't need antibiotics just clean it good and let him know if it gets worse.I get home to find the brand new couch that I was told would be replaced was just fixed and my 18yr old as signed for it.Yet the furniture store was under the impression it was delivered.What else can go wrong.?Maybe I shouldn't ask that.Sorry just needed to vent.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Bunkie,

So glad you went out today YEAH. I am on facebook, but I keep it private

Hugs,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Sew,

I would adore it if you got your many pedi, especially with mint green, and maybe blue toes. When you get it you must post photos. I will enjoy seeing them so much. I sure hope Janis splurges and at least gets a pedi. Just so you know Janis in LA some places charge only $12 for a regular pedi, but if you want the works, spa pedi it's $15. I bet where you live you can get it for less. A pedi makes you feel clean and refreshed from head to toe, and you will enjoy it so much

xoxo,

kate

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Joan,

I am glad you're not going to have to much chaos regarding your bathroom.

I love it that your granddaughter and mine both have such a cute name, Riley. My Riley is very spunky too, but also very sweet. I love her to the moon and back.

Grading papers and cleaning 2 guest rooms. I so much admire your energy

xoxo,

Kate

• MostlySew
    edited May 2013

Yikes, Josie, I'd be hiding in my bed by now if I'd had your day. Here's to a better tomorrow, and surgeons who see you and take care of you the same day!

Kate, I will be sure to post a pic when I get it done

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited May 2013

Josie - read your post...headed to the freezer...ice cream therapy sounds good...no retailing with the free boob so I scream U scream We ALL scream ice cream :)) ((:

Oh yikes I gave up sugar...SAB help ! Time for cake balls ...oh Janis!

(((Hugs)))

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Josie you have had a heck of a day! Hope you can get that couch situation resolved. The cyst must have scared the crap out of you! Glad it isn't serious. Just watch it to make sure it is healing. If it should start showing signs of infection, get some meds. It will probably heal fine. You vent anytime you want to! Some days just start out wrong and they refuse to improve!

Sew thanks for the kind words. You affirmed my instincts of the moment, which is a comfort to me. I always tend to try not to go the full out emotional route. If I let myself go there, I don't know if I would be able to come back! I always take the calmer route. I am just not made for high emotion. My dad isn't either. We are very much alike.

• gigil
    edited May 2013

How about fruity frozen yogurt for that ice cream therapy? I think I will! Not too sinful!

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited May 2013

Joan, glad the uti is under control. Yes, I'm finding it still pretty cool. Where do u,live on Long Island? Starting to get very busy-work, spring activities, my son coming home most weekends. Feeling a little over scheduled -ah well, I guess it's better to keep busy.

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

Sew - I am due for a french manicure on the toes.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Runfree,

I am so very happy that you wore your dress today, and I love those raised eyebrows. To date myself and use a very old expression" Huba Huba" which I guess you can define as sexy and gorgeous. I can't wait to see the photo.

I feel good today yeah! Thanks for asking

Going out to lunch, dinner, happy hours etc. with friends is the best. Funny before I got bladder cancer I was extremely lonely. Now because of all of the support I have, even if I don't see anyone in a day, I don't feel lonely anymore.

Hugs,

Kate

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited May 2013

Cindy you crack me up !!But seriously I did go straight to the freezer after dinner and just finished my Belgian uhh m chocolate ice cream.

One good thing was my hubby made spaghetti and me and meatballs.All I had to do was add the noodles.Nothing like coming home to a hot meal after today.

Thanks Gigil and sew for understanding too.