Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited May 2013

Gigi how do you know I don't sport big fake lashes already Kiss?  OK, not.  I roast different veggies a lot, and that's (turm & pepper) my basic spice combo for all of them, then I add on top of it for variety.  We grill sweet potatoes too, like little orange steaks.  And I have started using the white sweet potatoes in my frittatas instead of regular potatoes. Yumm.  I'm making myself hungry.

Kate, We do have the same taste after all!  At least with Keith Urban.  

Janis, I hope the endoscopy reveals a simple issue.  Eating is one life's pleaures, and I know you'll be glad to broaden your diet again soon! Did I miss something, are you scheduled to have the knee looked at?

I sure miss my own Mom around this time.  She passed 13 years ago, a better soul was never on this earth.

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited May 2013

SAB maybe we should all sport fake lashes.  God knows I need them!!  I have pathetic lashes.  My sister went to a Keith Urban concert.  She sat close enough that she said she could smell his amazing cologne all through the show.  Can you imagine?

• BUNKIE10
    BUNKIE10 Member Posts: 670
    edited May 2013

Gigil - Are you my long lost twin or what? OMG we are so alike!!! Panic attacks, 6 hours sleep etc.

Thank you for all the onfo about the protein drinks. I am really going to get started as soon as I figure out this stomach thing. If it an ulcer or celiac so be it. Just let me know and I can start to get healthy. I was already having stomach issues from my steroids that I have been on for 5 years straight. They tear up the stomach and gave me Gerd. I was able to deal with that like you. Eating earlier and 3 pillows. I had to give up caffine. Really miss my coffee in the AM. I still get what feels like palpitations at times but know they are Gerd. Soda gives me heartburn also. I keep some ginger ale on hand in case I get a really bad stomach and an antacid my grandma used. Chooze gum.  I can do some yogurt. Not much and that pisses me off because I did before GB surgery.  I tried goats milk thinking it would be OK because I tested negative to it when my allergist did my testing but it was too rich. I was in the bathroom for a whole day. I can handle rice well if I am not already dealing with a bad tummy. So I will check out the rice protein. 

I saw one of those tempapedic beds the other day that has positions and thought hum....If I could get one and let it off gas for about a year I may be home free. Otherwise the smell would kill me. I am very sensitive to smells and toxins since BC and rads. Add that to my list of crazy stuff and I take baby doses of everything. When I took vitamins I could only handle children's. If I take a Tylenol I take children's liquid. If I need an aspirin I take a baby one. Benedryl makes me feel weird also and I will ask the Dr for some meclizine. Does it give you strange dreams? Benedryl knocks me out and I have strange dreams. I used to take the children's liquid but that gets me too now.

You mentioned allergies. Do you use a nasal spray? My Dr was talking about that to me and I am afraid to try it. I could get the shots but they hurt and I hate having to take allergy meds in addition to them. Everyone I know does both.

Mothers Day will be hard for me with mom gone but I am going to call my aunt and some other older ladies I like to talk to. Not going out. Too many crowds.  I remember waiting in line every year at Red Lobster with mom and dad so she could get her shrimp. That was her favorite. Steamed shrimp and a salad. She never ate anything fattening and if she gained 5lbs she went on Jenny Craig for a month and lost it. When she came out to Cali one time I took her to a really fancy restaurant and she ordered a salad. To make matters worst she had her own Jenny Craig dressing in her purse. Too funny. Hope you have a Happy Mothers Day.

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

I never was a Keith Urban fan but I love him now and actually watch a lot of videos etc. I even watch the show Nashville. He is a good looker for sure.

I love that song by the group Perry. If I die Young and several others.

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

I have never seen a white sweet potato. Do they taste the same?

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited May 2013

GiGil, thanks for the tip, when possible, I will try making lunch my big meal.

For Handicapped Sonia coming home for the weekend. We'll go out for dinner Saturday, and barbecue and feed birds on the beech on Sunday. My daughter is studying for her CPA exam and can't make it out, she's very tense.

• SusannahW
    edited May 2013

I meant my handicapped son, not Sonia! I am a terrible typist!

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Bunkie, and the similarities go on! I can't take the smells and toxins either. That small of fresh memory foam? EEK! The meclizine comes in 25 mg size. You can buy them over the counter. The pharmacist keeps them behind the counter usually. I can only take a half tablet. Sometimes you can find the 12.5 mg. size. It doesn't give me dreams - just wonderful sleep and no more vertigo. It works to shrink swelling in the ears. It is also called Antivert! I know the steroidal nasal spray. My husband uses it. I just use Ocean saline spray. It is harmless, no meds in it, just saline. It soothes and shrinks nasal passages and cleans out viruses and secretions.

This is my first Mothers Day without a mother to buy daisies for. She so loved them. I suspect missing Mom never gets easier, right? I think I will buy daisies in her honor anyway. She was a bc survivor of 15 years.

• SusannahW
    edited May 2013

SAB, I miss my mom too. Se was a curmudgeon, but she was my curmudgeon.

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Susannah, I had a healthy lunch today - chicken breast, avocado slices and tomato slices, and a few organic corn tortillas. So satisfying!

• SusannahW
    edited May 2013

GiGil, I think all the firsts without my mom were the hardest. It has gotten a little easier, but you're right, there'll always be sadness about mom's loss. God idea about buying the daisies-my mom loved them too.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited May 2013

Hi y'all

My my busy thread...

RunFree - luv the dress...rock it:)

SAB & Gigil - you're makin me hungry...yummy!

Kate - a new friend:) and feel good post Monday chemo:)

Bunkie & Susannah - missing mom on Mother's Day ...thru this whole BC thing I've so wished my mom was still here to hold my hand, but then I look at my dads face and see his fear and I realize if she was here I would be missing this time and bond with my dad. Last weekend was my Mother's Day celebration:) fun!

Josie - how's the couch...hope today was a good day

DH had to go back to USC for another bladder surgery this morning. It's now every 3 mos scar tissue blocks voiding ugh! I was not up to the 4 hour drive into LA and 4 hour drive back...125 mi heavy traffic so feeling guilty but relieved at home. His team of docs are great and they called after procedure, in recovery, and now in his room...Overnight cant drive until tomorrow. He was there for almost 3 mos in 2011 and I lived by his side...he contracted Cdiff almost didn't make it. They've all been so good to us.

I watched the Voice last night:)

(((Hugs)))

Cindy

• SusannahW
    edited May 2013

RMlulu, yes, I wished my mom had been there to hold my hand through b/c too.

I hadn't realized your husband was having serious issues with his bladder, how hard for both of you. But I know u should,not feel guilty about not always going with him-you're still recovering yourself, there'd be precious little to be gained by getting run down yourself. You'll be there when he comes home.

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited May 2013

Thanks Susannah

We've been battling badder cancer...he now has a neobladder. Pretty amazing how they can use other body parts to replace another.

DH told me to stay and rest...I think he was more concern that I would free boob there then my low PB and fatigue would be a problem driving. Must admit very relieved.

And I will be here when he gets home:)

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited May 2013

I am waiting to be seen by a doctor at St Johns hospital emergency roo. All of a sudden I am seeing a darkened area out of my right eye. It looks like a psychedelic bug. My doctor couldn't see me, and he told me to go to the emergency room. He asked if I have an opthamologist and I don't. He said it could be something signifigant. This conversatin was by email, so I don't know what something signifigant means. Also, today has been my worst day for right leg swelling and stomach distension. Now my right foot is swollen too. The eye problem is scaring me. I hope I don't have to wait too long to be seen by a doctor.

xoxo,

Kate

• SusannahW
    edited May 2013

Kate, I know you're scared, we are all there with you, holding tight, in your magic coat pockets. Keep the photos of your family in your mind. We all love you. Please keep us posted.

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited May 2013

Janis, So sorry your knee is bothering you

Sab, Keith Urban can put his boots under my bed anytime.

As mentioned on my last post I am still waiting to be seen by the dr at er

Hugs,

Kate

• SAB
    edited May 2013

Kate, something special to distract you while waiting.

image alt="" width="214" height="236" />

• SAB
    edited May 2013

No, I wasn't trying to post an empty box!  Poopity, and here's another try:

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

That man is hot. He has that rugged handsome look I love. Nuff said.

Kate - Sorry about the eye. Hope you get in soon. I am in your pocket. I think substantial means it needs to be looked at. You mever want to mess with the eyes. That darned leg of yours. Maybe they will take a peek at that too. Be prepared they may keep you overnight for observation.

• gigil
    edited May 2013
    Kate, are you still seeing the darkened area or has it gone away?
  • BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

Janis - When is the MRI?

We are getting rain tonight. lets hope all that toxic stinky glue holds the wall together and I do not get any more leaks. That would just make my day. It would make it worth hiding on my 3rd floor so long. I just spoke to my cousins wife and their basement wall is coming in also. Looks like Michigan is going down all over. Their home is much newer than mine so I feel a bit better it is not my house alone.

Cindy - I am so sorry about your hubby's cancer. My step dad had bladder cancer for years. They used to just zap it and go. They had to deal with scar tissue also but he lived a LONG time with it and he was really old.

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited May 2013

Kate, we're with you!  I hope you can stay peaceful and not let your mind run away with you.  Easier said than done, I'm sure.  I hope they do keep you for observation because then maybe they can help your swollen leg, foot, and stomach. 

I'm so sorry about those of you who are missing your moms on Mother's Day.  That makes me so sad to think about.  My mom is 75 and was healthy, but she has been dealing with serious spinal stenosis this winter and spring and in a lot of pain.  We are very, very close and I dread the day I lose her.  The only thing that would make Mother's Day easier for me than others if I lost her is that my mom actually has a real bugaboo against it!  We are NOT ALLOWED to get her cards or make a fuss in any way.  Her point is, if you're not close to your mother every day, don't bother that one day.  So everybody's got their quirks.  Actually, she has quite a few.

Thanks for all the nice comments about the picture of me in my dress.  Today for the first time (because it was my last class day of the semester) I told my classes about my diagnosis.  I actually made a PowerPoint about it for the class I teach about the history of health and illness.  I had added up how much I've been billed so far vs. how much I've actually had to pay, and put in some references to reading they did for the class, because we've been studying how our health care system evolved and this has all been such a revealing case study for me.  Some of my students came up and thanked me, but a couple stayed late to tell me they thought it was weird that I did that.  Oh well, you can't please everyone.  Not sure why they felt called upon to say it, but I wasn't looking for special praise.

• SAB
    edited May 2013

Sounds fascinating Runfree.  I wish I could have sat in on your class today! I'm sure the "weird" comment kids just didn't know what to say/how to process the reality. 

Kate, make sure to mention everything bothering you...the ladies have a good point, you might be able to get some relief.

• RunFree16
    edited May 2013

Actually the student who said it was weird lost her mom to ovarian cancer three years ago, so I knew I might be pushing her buttons.  I told everybody they could email me privately if they wanted.  Her friend agreed it was weird but I don't think she would have said it by herself.

Cindy, I've never heard of a neobladder.  My stepfather had a urinary bypass that never really worked properly, but he only lived with it a couple of months before he died.  I bet a neobladder is a better plan, even if he has to go have it fixed up periodically.

• gigil
    edited May 2013

RunFree my DH and I have been working on a book about ways to fix the health care system. I have studied some of the history of health care and insurance as research for the book. Your class would be interesting to me.

Kate, thinking about you. Update us when you can.

• RunFree16
    edited May 2013

GiGiL, your book would be interesting to me!  I normally focus on the 1800s, so when I have to teach more recent stuff, I feel as though I'm missing a lot.

• SusannahW
    edited May 2013

RunFree, I'm kind of with your mom on the mo ther's day stuff. We make some fuss because my son loves celebrations of all kinds, but my gift to my daughter is no fuss is necessary, we love each other every day, and who needs more stress and pressure?

• BUNKIE10
    edited May 2013

Runfree - My mom had spinal stenosis also. She had those shots in her spine for the pain but did not do well so she opted for surgery. She was older than your mom... but excellent health except that. She went in for surgery and something happened when she was under. It gave her vascular dementia....overnight. She was never the same and went down fast after that. I am only telling you this in case they offer your mom surgery. It is up to her and being a little younger may help. Just want you to know the risk they never tell you.

My mom was very feisty and would not listen to me or my dad about the surgery. I wish she had but life is what it is. I lost her in 2010 two days before my birthday. It is still hard. Lets hope you have yours a long time.

• RunFree16
    edited May 2013

Bunkie, that is just terrible.  I am so sorry.  And right before your birthday--how awful. My mom did meet with a surgeon but he was in no hurry and said surgery was a last resort.  She was really afraid of the cortisone epidural because her husband had something like that for pain, and he had a heart event during it and never really recovered.  She knows that wasn't at all typical, but she had that fear.  Everybody told her that she'd suddenly turn a corner and feel better, and that's what eventually happened, after about 2 1/2 months.  If it hadn't, she might have gotten to the point of opting for the shots or the surgery.  It must have been so surreal to have your mother just suddenly fade like that.

Susannah, I will tell my mother she has some company in her feelings about Mother's Day.  My sister is named Susannah (you may not be, I realize) so she will think that is kismet.