Come join others currently navigating treatment in our weekly Zoom Meetup! Register here: Tuesdays, 1pm ET.
Fill Out Your Profile to share more about you. Learn more...

Radiation recovery

Comments

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited May 2013

RnFree, I am indeed susannah, named after my grandmother. Say hi to your mom from me.

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited May 2013

Oh cool, I certainly will!

• katehudson25
    katehudson25 Member Posts: 1,939
    edited May 2013

I am ok, but I can't type much, because my vision is blurred from eye drops the opth(eye doctor) put is. It. If my vision clears up tonight I will post otherwise in the morning

had nothing to do with chemo or cancer. The emergency room sent me to the eye doctor. I am having a vision problem, but it is not as severe as a tear in the retina. I will explain more later. I just wanted to come on now so I could tell you I am ok, and so that you wouldn't worry. The eye doctor said my blurred vision from the drops should go away in 2 to 4 hours, so hopefully at the latest by 9 30

If my vision clears up tonight I will post tonight, otherwise I will post in the morning if my vision is ok

xoxo,

Kate

• SusannahW
    SusannahW Member Posts: 375
    edited May 2013

Whew, glad it's not serious kate, thanks for posting, was very concerned. Hope you sleep well, I think u will tonight.

• josie123
    josie123 Member Posts: 1,749
    edited May 2013

Glad to hear your ok Kate.What next?You poor thing.

RunFree, nice pic thanks for posting.What grade do you teach?

Cindy sorry about your hubby.That's a shame how he's doing ok.

Sorry I having posted lately.I was so tired today.I was half asleep until about noon.

• RunFree16
    RunFree16 Member Posts: 649
    edited May 2013

Kate, thank you so much for the update, and I'm so glad it's relatively minor!  Must have been so scary.  Did they deal with your other problems (leg, stomach) or just address the eye?

Josie, I teach college.  I taught middle school and high school years ago and loved that too.  Sorry you are so tired!

• gigil
    gigil Member Posts: 916
    edited May 2013

RunFree my mom was the same way.  She was determined to go into surgery, even though she had controlled her diet and was doing well.  She was such a perfectionist, she wasn't going to settle for any limitations.  Even when she had bc, she had a one sided mastectomy to just get rid of the cancer.  She did not have radiation, but she took tamoxifen.  She had had a hysterectomy, so she never gave any of it another thought, and once she healed it was a done deal.  We all tell ourselves to "buck up" when we feel weak about something.  Those were her favorite words of encouragement.

My mother in law had a similar experience to your mother.  She didn't wake up from her surgery as soon as she should have, and she was just never the same after that.  We lost her in phases as she eventually had a series of small strokes that rendered her unable to function very well mentally.  

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Kate, relieved that you are okay.  Waiting for details when you can see properly.

Cindy, you are dealing with a lot too.  My DH went through a rough patch last year even having to be cathed as he worked in the ER because of blood clots.  I didn't hold much hope about it.  Turned out to be a huge prostate that kept his bladder irritated.  He had laser surgery last year and he is now so happy to be able to urinate normally again.  It is sure as heck a drag getting older.  He also as atrial fibrillation,  but that has been controlled by meds this past year also.  I just barely got over my thing and he was dealing with his.  Hope your DH is doing well and getting some rest tonight.  Ihad read that they could construct a new bladder if need be in the case of bladder cancer.  That is just amazing to me.  Some day they will be able to regrow it with stem cells or gene therapy.  They are very close to that.  I have become familiar with that in the case of the motor neurons in SMA kids.  My grandson has SMA (Spinal Muscular Atrophy) Type III.  

• rmlulu
    rmlulu Member Posts: 1,501
    edited May 2013

Kate - glad you have drops to bring relief soon! We're in your pocket (((hugs))))

Tomorrow's Friday ... Hope it is a non-event day ...just clear eye and bushy tail down to the donut shop:)

Rest warrior princess...gotta be able to see all the sparkily girlie pedis Saturday!

Cindy

• gemini4
    gemini4 Member Posts: 320
    edited May 2013

Kate so glad it's "nothing." ;-)

My first thought (as a non-doctor diagnosing you online) was that you were having an ocular migraine with a scintillating scotoma. Did they mention this? (This came to mind because I've had these a number of times -- very scary when you're not sure what's happening!)

• gigil
    edited May 2013

I've had those too, and it is no fun.  They can be caused by vitreal shrinkage, when as you age that gel like substance in your eyeball shrinks.  Or it can be a spasm of the blood vessel in the eye.  These things can happen for any number of reasons.  All of them benign.

• SAB
    SAB Member Posts: 1,121
    edited May 2013

Popping in to see how Kate is doing...glad that all is well.  Oh what a long week.

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Gemini do you get alarmed when you get these?  I get them infrequently compared to when I was younger but they still scare me a little.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

My vision is getting unblurred, so I can answer posts after this. I just want to tell you that after a very aggravating day I cried when Kree made the finals. I was so thrilled and happty for her.

xoxo,

Kate

• gigil
    edited May 2013

I thought of you when Kree won.  She was genuinely surprised.  I wondered if you had recorded it, so I purposefully didn't mention who was in the finals.

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Suzannah,

Your mothers day weekend sounds nice.

I went back to college went  when I was 49 and graduated when I was 53. My major was accounting, and I passed the CPA exam. It is a rough test. I stayed up all night for the first day's tests of accounting and finance. I wanted to make sure I had every formula memorized and fresh in my head. The second day's tests, business law and auditing were easier. My advice is to study harder for the accounting and finance tests, but of course you need to keep business law and auditing fresh. I passed the first time, but some of my friends from the Becker review class did not. If she can pass two sections that is good too. Then next time she will have only two sections to pass. Good luck to her.

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Gigil,

I so hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day. Think about the wonderful memories of your mom, and how much she would want you to have a wonderful day this year. Also think about your kids, and how much they want to please you, and have you experience a wonderful mother's day this year too. I am mindful of how hard it will be for you, since this is your first mother's day without Mom. I just wanted to give you a thought about what you could do to make it a little easier on you.

xoxo,

Kate

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Bunkie,

Sorry you won't be going out on Mother's day. I hope talking to yout aunt etc will make you feel good.\

So funny about your mom carrying Jenny Craig's dressing in her purse. I used to be exactly like that, before I quit smoking 2 and a half years ago. Now I've gained 20 pounds since I quit smoking so I am stuck with 130 at 5'3 and I hate it. I am hoping that after chemo I can lose 20 pounds. My doctor doesn't want me to diet while on chemo.

If you lived in Los Angeles I would go out for dinner with you mother's day, and guess what I love Red Lobster too

Hugs,

Kate 

• gigil
    edited May 2013

Thanks Kate, of course you are right.  Going out for a big family dinner tomorrow evening with my father, my brother and his wife, both sons and their families and my sister and her family.  There are going to be 14 of us at the Mall of America - a great Italian place.  My brother is home from Turkey, so it should be a special evening.  They all keep telling me I am the Matriarch of the family now that my mom has passed.  I tell them she is a pretty tough act to follow.  What did the doctor say about your eye situation?  

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Cindy,

So sorry your husband has to have another bladder surgery. I hope you made him a magic bladder surgery coat, so I can be in his pocket to give him support. Oh my gosh you have been through so much, and I pray your husband will be better soon, and that what ever else is bothering you goes away. You need pleasure and I will pray that you get it.

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Suzannah,

Thank you so much for your support. It was a scare because I thought it was related to cancer or chemo, but it is not.

So wonderful of you to post support for me when you have so many issues yourself

Hugs,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Thank you Sab,

I am just seeing it now, but wow it makes me tingle with pleasure. Keith Urban  is so hot, baby, baby!

I was thrilled with American Idol results tonight. Candace vs Kree for the finale is just what I wanted. I pray Kree sings every song like here comes goodbye. She has less confidence than Candace. it's almost like she feels like she will lose, and doesn't try to reach the audience with emotion each song she sings. I think her lack of confidence comes with lack of parents. When she dug deep and felt every lyric of Here Comes Goodbye she is unstoppable. I like Candace, but I am sick of the Idol producers wanting her to win over Kree. They give Candace power house songs to sing, like Somewhere and have her sing it last. I think she is good, but not exceptional. She only sings those big songs well, while I think she is mediocre on the others. Obviously two other seasons the judges felt the same as I do, that some of her singing is mediocre, and that is why she didn't make the live American Idol show those two seasons. This is her third try and Kree's first, so obviously the judges were very impressed with Kree.

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Bunkie,

I am ok now. I am seeing my medical oncologist at 9:40 am. The er wanted to check out my leg etc, and do another ultrasound, but I refused. I am confident that it is not a blood clot, and that it is the stomach lymph node involvement I have with my cancer. My doctor said it is pressing on my leg, and after more chemo treatments i will get relief.

Thanks so much for your continued support.

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Gigil,

I am still seeing the darkened area, but my doctor said it will settle down. He said it would never completely go away, but it will get better. I am grateful that it isn't anything dangerous. I panicked when it happened, because of being completelly healthy March 13, and then finding out that I have stage 4 bladder cancer etc. So, when this happened I was afraid I was going blind. I am so glad I got to see the eye doctor today, because now I can sleep with comfort knowing it is not dangerous.

Thanks so much for your support

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Runfree,

So sorry your Mom is ill. I like her idea about mother's day.

The hospital wanted to run more tests on my leg etc., but I refused. i am confident that my doctor is right. My stomach lymph node is malignant and it is pressing on my right leg. My doctor said after more chemo treatments I will get relief. My medical oncologist is brilliant and thorough unlike my old internist that I am suing for malpractice. I have an appointment with my MO tomorrow morning.

Thanks so much for your support,

xoxo,

Kate

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Sab and Gigil thank you again for your support. Sab I did tell them everything bothering me, but I refused some tests. I am confident regarding my medical oncologist, and I have an appointment with him in the morning. The three of us have similar taste when it comes to that hottie baby, baby Keith Urban.

xoxo,

kate

• new2bc
    new2bc Member Posts: 254
    edited May 2013

Hi Kate,

I have not posted for a while but checked in tonight to see how you are doing. I am glad your eyes are feeling better. How much longer do you have with chemo? Is your leg still hurting? I read some people were complaining about loneliness in here. I have been alone a lot during my life time. But I am used to it. I rather be alone than be with someone that does not get along with me or does things to get on my nerves. Have you started your law suit against that doctor yet? May be it is best to wait until your chemo is over. I know you will now be feeling more at ease since you vision problem is improving.  Take care..

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Suzannah, Josie, Runfree, Gigil, gemini14, and Sab thank you so mnuch for even more support.

Gemini14 they didn't mention ocular migraine, but when I told my son about it the first thing he thought it was is that.

xoxo,

Kate

• justmejanis
    justmejanis Member Posts: 1,474
    edited May 2013

Kate I am relieved to know that the eye problem is not serious.  It must have been quite a scare.  I sure hope the leg and foot swelling gets better very soon too.  Healing hugs to you!  I admire you for going back to school at an older age.  It is a lot tougher.  I know because my mom did the same thing after divorcing my dad.  She went back to school at 47, nursing school.  She graduated and got her RN and loved her job.  All her life she had been a bookkeeper.  I was so proud of her for having the determination to do it after so many years.

GigiL I understand even years later how strange Mother's Day can be.  My mom died in 1999 and it was such a terrible loss.  We never lived less than 1,000 miles apart, but the miles never divided the bond we shared.  I adored her and yes, those first events are always the hardest.  She died in January and that first Mother's day was very difficult.  My son wanted to take me to brunch and I couldn't go.  I tried to explain to him that I just could not sit in a nice restaurant and watch happy Mom's celebrating with their mothers.  Every first that year was tough.  I felt the same way about my BC...I wanted my mommy!  So Susannah and everyone else who is motherless, I know what it is like.  It sounds like some have happy plans so that is great.  My DH is cooking me dinner.  He is so sweet.

Bunkie Sweets I am sorry you are facing Mother's Day alone.  Do something special for you.  I hope it is a warm sunny day and you can get out and do something fun.  Maybe plant a few flowers.  Anything that cheers you.  Same to you Susannah.  You deserve to have a wonderful day.

Take good care sweet sistas! 

• katehudson25
    edited May 2013

Hi Newbc,

How very nice of you to come on here to see how I am doing. I am so sorry that you are feeling lonely. You are exactly right about wanting to be alone as opposed to being with someone who is aggravating.

I need 4-6 months of chemo, and so far I've only had 2 weeks of it. My leg is hurting, but my MO said after more chemo treatments I will have relief.

I did find an attorney who is willing to spend money to get the doctor's medical records.  My attorney said the case might hinge on did this doctor write down the symptoms I told him about, regarding bladder cance,r on the minimum of ten times I told him, or didn't he. I am worried that he didn't document it which will make the case very difficult. I think it will take a while for him to get the records, and evaluate themj, so I will wait. It is definitely not better for me to wait for 6 more months after I finish chemo to work on this case. If after my attorney gets my internist's medical records and think I have a good case I think he will file asap. That is exactly what I want. if I win the case takes 12-18 months to settle. It would be wonderful for me to win, and I want good news asap. I am thinking positive about my cancer, and I am resilient, and I can fight two battles at once. Fighting the cancer battle isn't fun, but filing a malpractice suit will be fun, so I don't mind working on it now at all.

Thank you so much for your support. it is so nice of you. i hope you meet new nice people and your loneliness goes away asap.

Hugs,

kate